Old October 17, 2000, 06:51   #1
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 08:05
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Random ideas for scenarios
There have been few tricks for scenarios floating around in my head. I am too lazy to make scenarios, so anyone can use them if they need. (As if they'd need my approval!)

Anyway. First would be about American Civil War - type scenario. Well, not necessarily that, but it would be best example. I've been thinking about best way to simulate Confederacy to get England and France to support itself, and I think I've got it.

Trade.

In this case, England and France would both we shown as whole. Bit like in Nemo's American Civil War scenario. They both would only be able to build capitalization - at least in start of the scenario. Also, they'd both be researching tech called Intervention. Normally they wouldn't be able to research it until scenario ends. However, if Confederacy manages to run enough caravans (with blockade runners) to Europe, that would naturally stimulate their trade, leading to more science coming out. So, if Confederacy manages to get enough stuff to Europe, they'd actually research the tech in time to help Confederacy. That would, of course, mean Confederacy getting extra troops from Europe. Also, British would have some units in Canada. However, they couldn't move until research of Intervention (English would have Leonardo's Workshop to upgrade the units), but after that, US would face prospect of invasion from Canada. Same could be done with British navy.

Trade wouldn't necessarily do it alone, of course. Europeans wouldn't be able to build anything, right? So, if Confederacy manages to score victories, they could get techs to make Europeans able to build libraries, universities and wonders to stimulate science. I'm not sure if they'd actually do that, but if they did, this model would become even better. Likewise, if Union scores victories, Europeans would get loads of useless technologies, which would slow their research down.

Another idea is about arms trading. One of those Israeli scenarios already had one application of idea - both sides had Arms trader unit, which could, once in turn "buy" (attack) unit, which would then be transferred to side who "bought" it. My idea, however, has been developing itself for some time. It includes allowing negotiations with foreign powers, and modifying tech exchange. Instead of technologies being swapped, bought and sold, the foreign power would have "Arms". These, when gained by side buying them, would cause new stuff appearing to them via events.txt. This would allow the foreign power to gift the buying power with "Arms", for sides to possibly swap "Arms" (one side could have loads of useless tecnologies with high point value, making foreign power want to share technologies), or buy them with money (like in regular Civ: "Give us 200 gold and we'll give you Writing" would change into "Give us 200 000 dollars and we'll give you 1000 Tanks", with 1000 Tanks being the name of the tech". And if spies are involved, these "arms" could even be stolen. This would, of course, involve lots of reworking of game.txt, but if done right, could be really cool.

So, does anyone else have odd ideas, tips and tricks floating around their head that they just want to share?
Old October 17, 2000, 07:13   #2
Cal
Prince

Local Time: 06:05
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I think there's more things to consider than just trading with the Europeans... whether or not they would intervene would also be influenced by how many battles the South won. I'm no American Civil War expert, but I think after the Battle of Shiloh the powers in Europe decided never to intervene because the South was defeated soundly in that battle.

So maybe there would be a tech given if the South lost a particular battle that would make all intervention obsolete.

------------------
The strategically impaired,
-Cal