Old October 25, 2003, 17:24   #1
JMarks
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 11:15
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Hey Exile! AoW Question for ya
Hey Exile, I was just wondering, have you made any official Age of War modifications in the removal of rails and the changing of road modifiers? Most PBEMs of this game seem to be getting rid of the rails (including the first one) and I would really like to see something official.

Of course, if you have already done so, where is it?

BtW, I still love this scenario to death. It is great for PBEMs, especially w/ou the rails And if it pleases you any, the original playtest for it is still going on.
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...0&pagenumber=1
Old October 26, 2003, 00:55   #2
Exile
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 06:15
Well . . . . . .
It seems like something needs to be done about railroad movement, and I've heard of unauthorized modifications. I can't recall who now, but someone some time ago asked about that and when I declined, blasted me on a Scenario League thread that was unrelated. I'd have to spend some time on it and experiment with the total replacement of railroads with roads, but more importantly, I'd have to adjust the modifier so that 1.) actual rail movement would be as accurately simulated as is possible within the limitations of the program, and 2.) watch what then happened to other movement factors for high movement units like ships and aircraft. What I'm afraid of is this; If I altered the "railroad" movement so that it wasn't infinite, yet gave a "realistic" simulation of how fast RR movement actually was, the high modifier would screw up the other units. This happened with Imperialism 1870. In that scenario, the results that I finally settled with were not satisfactory for me. But they came pretty close. Given the difference in scale of the maps of AoW and Imp1870, it's my feeling that the problems can't be overcome. It's discouraging, and that's why, at present, I have no plans to further modify that scenario. I'm glad that there are people who enjoy it, but in my own rigorous estimation, it's a failure. A grandiose failure, maybe, but a failure nevertheless.
"Jesus" avatars created by Mercator and Laszlo.
Old October 30, 2003, 01:10   #3
JMarks
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 11:15
Exile,

Success is in the eye of the beholder. If you set out to get all the movements so that they would be 'right' and all coherent to make sense and as historically accurate as possible, then yes, it is a monumental failure...

However, it is a success, or so it seems, in its playability in PBEM games. And this is not something to ignore in my opinion. True, the problems of getting things accurate and balanced at the same time probably is insurmountable in civ. For that, yes, it is a monumental failure.

But if you ever come to terms with these problems and wish to work, not against, but with them in some way, I will be very happy to see any official Exile produced modifications to AoW. If not, I'll still enjoy it!

And that is my two pence, for what its worth.

Keep on civ'n!
Old November 1, 2003, 13:02   #4
Exile
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 06:15
Thanks, dude.

I'm glad that people enjoy my stuff.

"Jesus" avatars created by Mercator and Laszlo.