Old October 26, 2003, 02:52   #31
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Local Time: 06:16
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Wow, yanks have horrible luck agst the expansion teams!

I hope MLB makes expansion teams every year.
Old October 26, 2003, 03:04   #32
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 07:16
YEEHAW!

Great stuff. Another reason I loved this result was because people were saying Boston-NY was the true WS. Pride goeth before the fall.

Quote:
And here's some irony for ya, teams with little or no hope of advancing to the play-offs often start dumping high-salary players a little over half way thru the season with an eye on rebuilding for the future. Florida was getting close to that situation and were apparently considering trading away players like Mike Lowell and Luis Castillo but the main office decided to keep their better players and try for the play-offs as a wild card.
Even more ironic was if the Marlins hadn't done their 'fire sale' after the '97 WS win they probably wouldn't have gotten this win. Mainly because of the prospects they got in the deal, but also because their horrid '98 gave them the #2 pick in the draft: Josh Beckett .

Quote:
Anyone here happy the Marlins won?
YES! This team played great small ball. In an era of station to station baseball where teams wait for the 3 run home run, this team was totally built on speed and singles. Pierre and Castillo set the tone for the team and they ran their way to a WS ring. And like the Angels last year they played with HEART! I fell in love with this team during the series against the Giants. This team played harder than anyone and played the game the way I like to watch it.

And, of course it is ALWAYS better to see the league that plays real baseball win the World Series .

Quote:
Countless fair weather Marlin's "fans"
I seem to remember Yankee Stadium having more than a few empty seats in the mid 80s. Fair weather Yankee 'fans' maybe?
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old October 26, 2003, 03:23   #33
Berzerker
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Even more ironic was if the Marlins hadn't done their 'fire sale' after the '97 WS win they probably wouldn't have gotten this win. Mainly because of the prospects they got in the deal, but also because their horrid '98 gave them the #2 pick in the draft: Josh Beckett
Good point!

Quote:
What a sad display; and I meant this thread.
A Yankees fan?

Quote:
The Yankee-Red Sox series was far more dramatic, and Yankee-Red Sox rivalry actually means something, as opposed to a utterly non-existant relation between the Cubs and the Marlins.
But neither of those teams won the WS And now the Cubs-Marlins have a relationship...

Quote:
Anyone here happy the Marlins won?
Yup.

Quote:
And by that I do not mean the Yankees loosing (you know you come from a sad-sack town were your only ray of light is the loss of some other team, which had nothing to do with your team doing nothing or going nowhere), but that the Florida Marlins are the World Series Champion?
My town has no team, but I was pulling for the Marlins almost all year once I picked up Redman and Willis for fantasy baseball.

Quote:
Countless fair weather Marlin's "fans" (yeah, three weeks of fandome sure do count) can now celebrate..and next year the stadium will still be half empty at best for most of the season.
Wow! Them grapes sure must be sour.
Old October 26, 2003, 03:31   #34
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 04:16
I'm just happy because all these so called experts on the radio were really bad mouthing the Marlins manager's decision to play their pitcher on 3 days rest.

These dumbasses don't know anymore than I do about baseball.

And I'm very happy the Yankees lost. See my Yankees thread
Old October 26, 2003, 08:10   #35
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Marlins may not have the cash like the yanks, but they have some good managing / scouting just as or better than the yanks.

I like how their team plays too. All speed and teamwork, not individual all star trying to score runs by himself.

I still would have preferred redsox V. Cubs. That way there has to be at least one city that would go berserk after the WS.
Old October 26, 2003, 08:16   #36
DaShi
Emperor

Local Time: 11:16
Everybody loves a winner.
Old October 26, 2003, 08:33   #37
Zero
King

Quote:
Everybody loves a winner.
Everybody loves a team that can screw the yanks from getting another penant.
Old October 26, 2003, 08:36   #38
DaShi
Emperor

Local Time: 11:16
Why?
Old October 26, 2003, 09:16   #39
Bosh
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 20:16
Quote:
Originally posted by monolith94
Speculation - would the red sox have lost against the marlins?
Is there any question?
This is the Red Sox we're talking about after all.

Would have been great if they could have at least beat the Yankees though

*joins in the celebration*

die yankees die!