Old October 26, 2003, 11:16   #31
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 14:17
Local Date: November 2, 2010
*sigh*

Only 5 months ago I was on dial-up, but soon, VDSL will arrive. ****ing amazing.
Old October 26, 2003, 11:17   #32
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Yeah, although it wasn't originally supposed to be that great, but some persuasion and the weirdness of my ISP got me to have it .

In a country where barely over a hundred thousand people use the Internet, and almost everyone has 56k... I'm the King of Cable .
Old October 26, 2003, 11:20   #33
Az
Emperor

We were lagging behind, too, but in a couple of months we had an EXPLOSION. 400k new home broadband users!

Ok, so I downloaded that bit torrent thingee. What now? I cannot find a link.
Old October 26, 2003, 11:48   #34
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 13:17
Try "the file I want" + torrent on google, and you may have found it.

My brother is a big bit torrent fan and has told me about a great resource to find torrent links. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name
Old October 27, 2003, 06:19   #35
laurentius
Civilization II MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyNever Ending StoriesACDG PeaceACDG3 GaiansMacC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
King

Dont you just love all the usefull/useless statistics emule has...I'm really into them

- Paul Valery
Old October 27, 2003, 07:53   #36
Paul Hanson
King

Local Time: 12:17
I'm not sure that I'm allowed to post this link on Apolyton, but torrenter.de is a good site for Bittorrent stuff.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.
Old October 27, 2003, 07:54   #37
Unspeakable Horror
Spanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 08:17
Azazel, you have a PM

I use bittorrent to download TV series usually and emule for everything else.
I stopped using DC++ because of all the "Share +30GB or go away" stupidity Is it still the same?
The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power. Not wealth or luxury or long life or happiness: only power, pure power.

Join Eventis, the land of spam and unspeakable horrors!
Old October 27, 2003, 08:20   #38
tinyp3nis
Prince

It is still the same. More the limit, better it is. The best public hub I have found has a limit of 90GB share and 2000 users, and has almost 300 TB of stuff. I don't understand why you think it's stupidity? You can work your way up you know, with kazaa or hubs that have only 5GB share limit.
Old October 27, 2003, 08:42   #39
Unspeakable Horror
Spanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 08:17
My HD is only 20 GB and only 8GB for DL/UL and no, I can´t buy a new one, they are waaay too expensive now
I don´t know, maybe it´s because I don´t like that kind of limits in sharing.
The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power. Not wealth or luxury or long life or happiness: only power, pure power.

Join Eventis, the land of spam and unspeakable horrors!
Old October 27, 2003, 09:18   #40
pg
Prince

Local Time: 06:17
i use kazaalite. only good p2p i've found that works good on my shitty connection 26.4k. i've actually managed to download 700+ mb files even if it takes a week. kazaalite really pisses me off sometimes though. once i left it on for a day without checking back and i only managed to download like 10mb while uploading 100mb. that's just SOO painful to see when you have a 26.4kb connection!
Old October 27, 2003, 13:12   #41
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Quote:
It is still the same. More the limit, better it is. The best public hub I have found has a limit of 90GB share and 2000 users, and has almost 300 TB of stuff. I don't understand why you think it's stupidity? You can work your way up you know, with kazaa or hubs that have only 5GB share limit.
That's indeed stupid. OK, the best local hub has 30 GB minimal share. About a thousand unders in at all times, total share around 40-55 TB. Great. Now, for me, the problem is sharing 30 GB. I have a hard drive large enough. But, I don't even have 30 gigabytes of content! Besides, most of what I have, are programs and such, stuff useless to share.

Any videos I burn to disks shortly after downloading - seeing how a disk costs half a dollar, no reason for videos to waste HDD space. Music, I don't have gigabytes of it, like some people do, and again, most is on CD. I'd love to share, but I don't have anything to!
Old October 27, 2003, 13:21   #42
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 05:17
Tips:

The more you upload, the faster you move up into queues.
Adjust the max connections/20 seconds to something like 40 rather than 20
Set the maximum number of connections to something like 500
Set the maximum number of sources per file to 1000
Never set your upload limit or capacity below 10KB

Mine works really well:
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	emule.png
Views:	58
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	55967  
Old October 27, 2003, 14:09   #43
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Local Time: 07:17
If you want instant gratification, then eMule's not your bag. Go to Bittorent. eMule is highly effective if you can wait a couple of days for the file.

Cumulative UL: ~ 1 terabyte
Cumulative DL: ~ 250 gigabytes
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old October 27, 2003, 14:36   #44
Solver
lifer
Deity

Point is... why use eMule and wait a couple of days, if you can get the same file in a few hours via BitTorrent, DC++ or Kazaa?
Old October 27, 2003, 14:37   #45
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Local Time: 07:17
But can you get the same file? A half year ago you couldn't. At least the ones for which I was looking.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old October 27, 2003, 14:48   #46
Az
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Unspeakable Horror
Azazel, you have a PM

I use bittorrent to download TV series usually and emule for everything else.
I stopped using DC++ because of all the "Share +30GB or go away" stupidity Is it still the same?
Nah, I get all that I need.
Old October 27, 2003, 16:15   #47
tinyp3nis
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Solver
Quote:
That's indeed stupid. OK, the best local hub has 30 GB minimal share. About a thousand unders in at all times, total share around 40-55 TB. Great. Now, for me, the problem is sharing 30 GB. I have a hard drive large enough. But, I don't even have 30 gigabytes of content! Besides, most of what I have, are programs and such, stuff useless to share.

Any videos I burn to disks shortly after downloading - seeing how a disk costs half a dollar, no reason for videos to waste HDD space. Music, I don't have gigabytes of it, like some people do, and again, most is on CD. I'd love to share, but I don't have anything to!
Unfortunately, that is exactly the point. How do you get people with lots to share on a hub? Make the share limit high. There wouldn't be 300 TB of stuff there if not for the limit, and the beauty of dc++ there are lots of hubs with small sharelimit, but from experience I can tell that the bigger the limit the better the hub, IF you can get in.
Old October 27, 2003, 16:36   #48
Solver
lifer
Deity

Dunno, if there were no limits, people with 60 GB to share still would do that. I share about 10 GB, which is all that I can... and I'd share it regardless of limits.
Old October 27, 2003, 16:49   #49
Zopperoni
Age of Nations TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

But not everybody has 90 GB of stuff, simply because they don't have the capacity.

Besides, there are still ways to get around it, so the total amount of available stuff is skewed by it.
Old October 27, 2003, 17:53   #50
tinyp3nis
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Solver
Dunno, if there were no limits, people with 60 GB to share still would do that. I share about 10 GB, which is all that I can... and I'd share it regardless of limits.
The point is exactly that people who share a lot would not be in that one place. The hubs can't just have any amount of users they wan't, biggest I have seen is 5000 with very low sharelimit and it had less stuff than the hub with 2000 users with high share. If the hubs could maintain any amount of people I wouldn't mind less share per person, but they can't. You just have low quality hub with no content.

Quote:
But not everybody has 90 GB of stuff, simply because they don't have the capacity.
Exactly, I sure didn't. I used kazaa and other hubs, I like these hubs with higher share better than hubs with low share.
Quote:
Besides, there are still ways to get around it, so the total amount of available stuff is skewed by it.
If you allready have some sort of control for the hub like "unfair" sharelmits the ops have easier time finding out the fakers. Works wonders.
Old October 27, 2003, 18:30   #51
Solver
lifer
Deity

Nahh... I've seen share fakers get away with it. Or stay for many hours till kicked.

I find it unethical to do so, though. While I have a tool that can fake the amount of share, I don't use it. Just fired it up once to see how it works, for a few minutes. Peer-to-Peer only works because everyone who wants to download also shares something...
Old November 3, 2003, 05:59   #52
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 04:17
how does this work exactly? I downloaded this. I'm trying to download a movie, but I'm not sure that will actually happen.

It seems if I close down emule and shut down my computer it forgets about the download. Is there anyways to resume downloads in the middle?

One download was so slow it showed a completion of 88 days. I'm thinking I don't want to leave my computer on for 88 days.

the movie isn't some copyrighted holywood movie. It's a tv movie.
Old November 3, 2003, 06:14   #53
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

one problem is I'm downloading to a bare folder. I'm not actually sharing any files.

I'm wary to share my music files. I don't want to get sued.

edit: oh now I see I'm uploading parts I just downloaded. This parts things still confuses me.

I wouldn't use emule, but I can't find this obscure file on kazaa lite.

I really hate to leave my computer on that long. Waste of electricity and I worry about security. Last time I left my computer on for a long period of time, I came back, and some kind of virus wiped out my hard drive. I was unable to run windows after that point.

Last edited by Dis; November 3, 2003 at 06:25.
Old November 3, 2003, 06:23   #54
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Asher
Tips:

The more you upload, the faster you move up into queues.
Adjust the max connections/20 seconds to something like 40 rather than 20
Set the maximum number of connections to something like 500
Set the maximum number of sources per file to 1000
Never set your upload limit or capacity below 10KB

Mine works really well:
I tried to do some of this stuff, but I got a message that my OS isn't able to support that many uploads. I guess my Win98SE is getting a bit dated
Old November 3, 2003, 08:18   #55
Pekka
Emperor

p2p networks sucks serious butts. FTP is the only way. Shieeet my illegal softwares are still burning when I download them. SHiieet man, I have more official releases than the god damn mofo.ing estonian pirate market. Shiiiet man, if I had a penny for every downloaded cd, I'd be a trillionaire! DAaaaaaaamn, if my ISP would check out the amount of data transfers, they'd call the UN to send peace keepers between me and my computer... No matter though, you know I'd put them between the radiator and continue downloading.. and turn on the heat!!

Shieeet man, I even download the release from different groups, though it's the same game for example. Why? Because I can! Even your momma aint as fat as my HD.

... but seriously, p2p sucks.
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old November 3, 2003, 15:36   #56
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

woohoo. I'm 9.5% on a 700 mb tv movie. I'm also downloading a few other things. I'm 34% on one. I left my computer on all night.

of course apolyton isuper slow right now. I have tons of people uploading from me right now