Old October 31, 2003, 09:07   #31
Boco
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 06:18
Local Date: November 2, 2010
[Hijack]
Try the US campaign with the replacement scenarios made by users such as Kashanka, Wolfshanze, and others, and you'll be happily surprised.

It's still a beer and pretzels game for you TOAW grognards, but these guys' opuses really increase the fun while adding more historical accuracy. With remakes of Midway, Guadalcanal, Solomons, Leyte and Okinawa, you'll actually get to wage triphibious assaults. Not to mention some nasty kamikaze behavior.

Don't think anyone has redone the Japanese campaign in the same way. IIRC, didn't the dismal Australia scenario give you the impetus to make Battle for Australia?
[/Hijack]
Old October 31, 2003, 13:02   #32
fairline
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 11:18
[even more of a threadjack - apologies Kashanka]

Dave, are you using XP? I can't get the Generals series games to work on my new machine; are there any patches you know of?
Old October 31, 2003, 15:59   #33
Palaiologos
Civilization II PBEM
King

Panzer general 1 is the best all time combat game.

It is almost as good as civ2.

It is vastly superior to most new generation combat games. Would still play the old bugger had i not lost it in a HD crash.
Old October 31, 2003, 19:01   #34
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 21:18
Quote:
Originally posted by Boco
[Hijack]
It's still a beer and pretzels game for you TOAW grognards, but these guys' opuses really increase the fun while adding more historical accuracy.
Both of which were desperetly needed

However, must say that it was the awful graphics, and the purchase of PG2, which put me off Pacific General.

Quote:
IIRC, didn't the dismal Australia scenario give you the impetus to make Battle for Australia?
Yeah, it was an important factor.
In fairness to that scenario, AFAIK, it's still the only commercially released scenario covering that topic in any game. It would have been vastly better if the designers had consulted a map of Australia at some stage though

Palaiologos, I agree. Panzer General was the game that got me interested in wargaming, and it remains a classic.
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
Old October 31, 2003, 19:11   #35
Leonidas
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Palaiologos
Panzer general 1 is the best all time combat game.

It is almost as good as civ2.

It is vastly superior to most new generation combat games. Would still play the old bugger had i not lost it in a HD crash.
Most older wargames can be downloaded at this highly reputable site (free membership required):

http://www.panzergeneral.net/