Old October 9, 2000, 22:44   #1
Kull
lifer
King

Local Time: 23:05
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Windows 2000 & Batch Files
Just wondering if anyone else has noticed that Scenario Batch files don't work under Windows 2000? Neither does Delevent.exe, which is the REAL problem. One can read the Batch file and manually perform the required text and gif/bmp substitutions, but there's no workaround for Delevent.

Has anyone else encountered (and more importantly, solved) this problem? I suppose one could manually strip out the events with a hex editor, but I shudder to think of hex-editing Second Front eleven times during one game. Gakkk!!
Old October 9, 2000, 23:08   #2
William Keenan
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 01:05
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Windows 2000 is, in reality, Windows NT version 5. Unlike Windows 95/98, Windows 2000 has no legacy support. In other words Windows 2000 can not run programs designed for DOS or 16-bit Windows.

Since delevents.exe is a DOS app it can not, nor will it ever, run on Windows 2000. Same goes for batch files. Since Hasbro now owns Microprose there is no hope what-so-ever of a 32-bit version of delevents.

The only way to use the legacy stuff is if you switch back to Windows 98 or to have a duel boot system.
Old October 9, 2000, 23:55   #3
Xin Yu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 22:05
To get around the batch file problem: you can cut and copy the corresponding parts of the batch file and run it.

To get around the delevent problem, open cheat mode and save the file as a scenario.
Old October 10, 2000, 08:00   #4
Allard HS
Prince

Local Time: 08:05
Also, removing the events by hex-editing is very easy. Just open the file in your editor, search for EVNT (if I'm not mistaken), and delete everything from that point onwards.
Maybe someone could make a program to do that automatically, so that we have a delevents in windows.
Old October 11, 2000, 00:21   #5
Dusty
Settler

Local Time: 06:05
I want to clarify something: at first I thought this thread was saying that Windows NT doesn't support batch files. But this is not true, Windows NT 4.0 supports batch files and delevent.exe. I just verified this myself. However, I can't speak for Windows 2000.

So, can you play classic Civ2 or fantastic worlds on Windows 2000? I believe both have old 16 bit cold, so I suspect that if they work, delevent.exe should work. Does Windows 2000 have a command prompt? If so, I suspect that it should be possible to run batch files from the command prompt. If it's not possible, then maybe I won't upgrade from NT 4. (Man I wish Civ3 will support Linux )

------------------
Dusty
Old October 11, 2000, 18:01   #6
Kull
lifer
King

Dusty: Civ2 FW definitely works on Win2000. I did a little more testing, and found something interesting. If you "drag&drop" a file onto delevent, a dos-box opens, you get a blinking cursor, and then the box closes and nothing happens. BUT if you go straight to the command line and type in the action (delevent sf.sav), it works!

Batch files are a different story. Whether you doubleclick them OR run them from the command line, what you get is a box that flashes open, a brief look at the text, and then it closes immediately. My guess is that some command is needed to force the thing to stay open long enough for you to type in a choice.

So it looks like Win2000 isn't fully incompatible, but it's not real civ friendly, either. If anyone can suggest a command which would solve the Batch file-closing problem, let me know and I'll test it out.
Old October 12, 2000, 00:01   #7
Dusty
Settler

Kull, just because the window closes quickly, are you sure the batch file isn't doing what it's supposed to be doing? It might be do what it's supposed to, but not have enough time to print a message out.

If it isn't working, here are some other things that might work.

Try using call or start to run the batch file. IE

"call a.bat"
or
"start a.bat"

Call is used within batch files to call other batch files. Start is used in NT 4.0 to open a batch file in another window (but doesn't close the window under NT 4.0).

If all else fails, try editing the batch file and putting a "pause" at the end. This should make the window stay open until you press a key.

I hope this helps.

------------------
Dusty
Old October 15, 2000, 08:04   #8
Miner
Prince

Local Time: 07:05
quote:

Originally posted by Kull on 10-11-2000 06:01 PMBatch files are a different story. Whether you doubleclick them OR run them from the command line, what you get is a box that flashes open, a brief look at the text, and then it closes immediately. My guess is that some command is needed to force the thing to stay open long enough for you to type in a choice.

I don't think this is a problem as such. I don't actually own W2K, but my work PC is NT4 (and as correctly pointed out W2K is 'just' NT5).
I have noticed that (on my NT4 PC) if you run a command by going Start>Run then the command does run in a DOS window but closes immediately after execution - but the command has worked - it is just that a modern PC is so quick the command is run and the DOS window closed in a fraction of a second, which is what I believe is happening here.
Try doing Start>Run on a W2K PC and typing command (not a command, just the word command). If you get a DOS window then it does indeed support the old 16bit commands.
Don't forget that NT4 is pure 32bit - when running the DOS box you are not really running DOS as on a W9x but just emulating it. I will be very suprised if W2K does not emulate DOS in the same way.

Old October 17, 2000, 15:03   #9
Miner
Prince

Kull

I have confirmed with a man in the know (software engineer and W2K deployer) that W2K does have a command prompt and runs all the old commands. There is even a scheduling of batch files (the at command, blatantly swiped off UNIX).
Anything I can do to help??
Old October 18, 2000, 17:32   #10
CapTVK
Civilization II MultiplayerPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
King

I have a question about running a batchfile with user input (menu) in a dosbox under WinNT 4.0. Everytime I try to start the the SF.bat for second front I'm immediately booted out. I can't select anything from the menu!

Is there a special delay command you can use here?
Old October 18, 2000, 22:43   #11
Kull
lifer
King

Thanks to everyone for your responses. It looks like the problem has narrowed down to the situation described by CapTVK: The batch file opens and closes before the user can respond.

It's not a problem for me anymore, since I picked up a new laptop and reverted back to Win98. That also means I can't test any of the suggestions that have been offered. But the ones from Dusty are worth trying, CapTVK. In order, I suggest you try:

1) Open the dosbox, get to the correct directory, and type Start sf.bat

2) If that doesn't work, edit the batch file and put "Pause" at the end. Hopefully that will keep it open until you make your selection.

Please let us know if you have success (or failure) with either method. I'm sure the subject will come up again, and it would be nice to have a solution handy!

Miner: You mentioned running NT 4.0 on your system. Have you had the same problem with Batch files that CapTVK described?
[This message has been edited by Kull (edited October 18, 2000).]
Old October 19, 2000, 02:34   #12
Xin Yu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 22:05
CapTVK: as my previous post mentioned you can open the batch file, select the corresponding part, and copy it to another file then run it. I have NT too and that's what I do.
Old October 19, 2000, 03:15   #13
Kull
lifer
King

Xin: I'm kind of slow, so I had NO idea what you were talking about in the original post. But at last the concept has penetrated my thick skull. (it must be D20, H4)

For example, if the batch file offers 4 choices, you would cut out the commands for Part 1 and create a "Part One Batch File". And then create three additional batch files for parts 2 thru 4. Yes, that too would work!
Old October 19, 2000, 16:16   #14
CapTVK
Civilization II MultiplayerPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
King

Making multiple batch files for the different parts of the scenario seems to be the best solution. I had hoped I could use the original SF.bat. But it isn't too much hassle.

Thanks for the advice.
Old October 19, 2000, 16:17   #15
Miner
Prince

Kull

Unfortunately my NT PC is my work PC no chance of trying it there (no Civ )but I was referring to batch files in general.

Working on it... back later...