Old October 26, 2003, 22:53   #1
FlameFlash
Call to Power PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMMacACDG PeaceCall To Power SuperLeagueACDG3 Data AngelsCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerC4BtSDG Team Banana
Emperor

Local Time: 05:20
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Factional Defense
Personally I'm a very offensively defensive agent.

At least one of the best defenders in each/every base and once they're two levels of defence out of date scrap them or upgrade them.

I don't know if I'm in charge of 'suggesting' what to do with the exploration units as well, but those need to be the ones with the better, faster, most trained ones...

Obviously all that's obvious, and at this point since we have no contact with other factions all I can say is, explore and minorly defend. Once we meet somebody is when I can actually leave my mop in the closet.

Deputy of Factional Defense Comrade FlameFlash

As always, will play after work. I wonder if I'll ever be able to turn that the other way...
Old October 28, 2003, 16:43   #2
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Local Time: 11:20
Re: Factional Defense

Quote:
Originally posted by FlameFlash
Personally I'm a very offensively defensive agent.
I, of course, agree completely

Quote:
At least one of the best defenders in each/every base and once they're two levels of defence out of date scrap them or upgrade them.
Maybe, although before we've met anyone, I suggest only in outlying bases. We don't need anything better than scouts against worms.

Quote:
I don't know if I'm in charge of 'suggesting' what to do with the exploration units as well, but those need to be the ones with the better, faster, most trained ones...
Of course, and yes you are.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Last edited by Drogue; October 28, 2003 at 17:01.
Old October 29, 2003, 08:00   #3
Lemmy
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 13:20
Yay, i'm back...sortof
Thanks FF for starting this thread.
I basically agree with what he said..at the start i'd like to have at least 1 unit with psi defense in all the bases and 1 or 2 faster units around to take out planet life forms before they reach our bases.

For exploration i'd also like to have a psi defense unit ASAP.
As for exploration, i'd have to see the map...but generally speaking, pop everything, explore the close regions for potential base locations and then head off to find other factions (split the exploring forces so a few go out to meet other factions and a few find base sites).
<Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!
Old October 29, 2003, 10:31   #4
FlameFlash
Call to Power PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMMacACDG PeaceCall To Power SuperLeagueACDG3 Data AngelsCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerC4BtSDG Team Banana
Emperor

/me nods.

Welcome, sir. I agree.

As always, will play after work. I wonder if I'll ever be able to turn that the other way...
Old October 31, 2003, 08:09   #5
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

We can neglect base defence in order to expand faster. We have the advantage of Perimiter Defences, so scout patrols used as police is all we need at the moment. They should be upgraded to 1-2-1(police) when we get the tech.

Defence should be done with best-1-2 rovers IMHO.

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old October 31, 2003, 10:31   #6
Lemmy
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 13:20
Ah, thanks Jamski for reminding me about the free perimeter defense

Could you elaborate on why you want rovers as defense? I assume to move them between bases in case of an emergency? or not...just noticed you're talking about offensive rovers..
<Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!
Old October 31, 2003, 10:36   #7
FlameFlash
Emperor

/me nods.

Use rovers as offensive defense.

They prowl to wherever they're needed and attack the enemy.

Old October 31, 2003, 12:07   #8
Corellion
ACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Prince

Local Time: 06:20
Indeed...

The problem is, we don't, and given the goals for the research path will not for quite some time, have Doctrine: Mobility. We'd need to trade, so if you want to deal with more immediate concerns, plan to be without them (and if we get them, it will be a boon).
Function Corelli Omega-9, Internal Affairs Function (Terms 110, 101, 100, 011, and 010) and Advisor on Foreign Affairs (Term 001) for the Cybernetic Consciousness in the Alpha Centauri Democracy Team Game (ACDTG).
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or one.
Old November 11, 2003, 17:12   #9
Needlejet
Alpha Centauri Democracy Game
Settler

Use Skimships to combat Isles of the Deep. Put a probe team in each base to combat enemy infiltration. Naval Skimships can also weaken enemies with long range fire, before they can attack your base.
Old November 12, 2003, 10:36   #10
FlameFlash
Emperor

Old November 16, 2003, 21:27   #11
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 23:20
For the moment however, wouldn't achieving a Planet rating (even temporarily) to capture a worm or two be the best option for both the exploration stakes and early warning in the midst of fungus?

Ships are costly, especially the prototypes, so we need to be very careul with any we build.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old November 17, 2003, 04:58   #12
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Just opened the save for the first time and saw our start.

Not likely to be any fungus areas on land that need early warning worms

BUT, I do see plenty of ocean, so I think our top priorities ATM are one defender per base (since they are ALL on the edges), and aim for more foils ASAP to land those early useless Scout Patrols on nearby isles, and to podpop.

We can save the Best defenders until we actually sight another faction, and the probe teams likewise. Seaward travel would seem the best bet right now, partially for the exploration and pods, and also to take advantage of the good area of coastal shelf with resources we have around. After all, unless our little spit of land opens out, the only other close land we see is Great Dunes :/

Old November 17, 2003, 04:58   #13
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

Just opened the save for the first time and saw our start.

Not likely to be any fungus areas on land that need early warning worms

BUT, I do see plenty of ocean, so I think our top priorities ATM are one defender per base (since they are ALL on the edges), and aim for more foils ASAP to land those early useless Scout Patrols on nearby isles, and to podpop.

We can save the Best defenders until we actually sight another faction, and the probe teams likewise. Seaward travel would seem the best bet right now, partially for the exploration and pods, and also to take advantage of the good area of coastal shelf with resources we have around. After all, unless our little spit of land opens out, the only other close land we see is Great Dunes :/

Old November 17, 2003, 10:49   #14
FlameFlash
Emperor

Quote:
We can save the Best defenders until we actually sight another faction, and the probe teams likewise. Seaward travel would seem the best bet right now, partially for the exploration and pods, and also to take advantage of the good area of coastal shelf with resources we have around. After all, unless our little spit of land opens out, the only other close land we see is Great Dunes
I agree, especially on the defenders and probe teams.

What's wrong with the Great Dunes? Though I'm not in the terraforming department wouldn't that be a great place for a forest/borehole crawler park?

Old November 19, 2003, 00:56   #15
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

Yes, it will just take more time and effort to terraform - not the sort of thin we can do right now. Unless there are better strategies this n00b is not aware of, we need some fair food and min producing land bases to build the formeres we need to do start such labour-intensive tasks.