View Poll Results: Where do we place our next city?
Placement 1 6 35.29%
Placement 2 3 17.65%
Something else...please post your ideas 8 47.06%
Banana 0 0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 26, 2003, 23:38   #1
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Local Time: 04:20
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Next City Placement
At the end of 825bc we are currently about to settle a new city on the southern isle. We have two placements in mind.

Placement 1 is on a plains tile and has a hoard of bonus grass and fish, but does not have access to the cattle and wheat (though Spanish Are Greedy) will have them very soon.

Placement 2 is on a bonus grass (though you can't see it from the shot) and has access to everything).

Please keep in mind the city will have high corruption for a while so won't be able to make good use of the cattle and wheat tiles anyway.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	c3dg3.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	310.6 KB
ID:	55926  
Old October 27, 2003, 05:12   #2
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 20:20
12 downloads / 4 votes... I love the odds.

Number 1 is looking good for long term issues.
Old October 27, 2003, 06:09   #3
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 23:20
Um, what about immediately SW of the Cow? That way we can culture encroach on Spain if we want to but are far enough away that they are no great danger, we get a cow + wheat straight away, it is slightly closer to home and gives advance warning of if Spain starts to colonise the East of the Sith Island from their colony there.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old October 27, 2003, 13:22   #4
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

We have another settler coming online too next turn so it won't be a problem to settle one of these as well as WIA's location.
Old October 27, 2003, 14:43   #5
GarP2
Civilization III Democracy Game
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:20
Building just North of the horses would make a proactive grab for the horses, which we could probably hold onto, especially with the help of a second city at site 1. The Spanish town is further from their capital than our 2 towns would be, but building culture-producing improvements would still be slow for us. It's not a resource denial issue, since there are horses on the other side of the Spanish town too, as well as on their home continent, but is a resource issue for us, since I didnt see any other horses that we would be able to claim very easily. The problem is that the city at site 1 would have to grow in land area (i.e., culture) so that the strait was in our territory, and have a harbor, before the horses would be available to our mainland.

MWIA's suggestion would be a more efficient use of the land, less provacative toward the Spinich town, and would provide a harbor, but would not be as strong a claim to the horses.

Or...we could just wait and use beserkers to take their town (and horses) away from them. However, if we get chivalry before invention, we're gonna wish we had horses. Havent checked the trading possibilities very thoroughly, but I have a hunch it's gonna be a hostile world out there.

GarP2
Old October 27, 2003, 16:48   #6
Rhothaerill
supporter
Emperor

Regarding blocking the strait, Spanish Are Greedy just completed a temple so it's culture radius WILL be growing soon to encompassthe wheat and cattle. No matter what site we use we will have a contiguous border.
Old October 27, 2003, 19:56   #7
Jonny
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG The Lost Boys

Local Time: 06:20
#1.

Let Spanish are Greedy use the wheat and cattle (at least for a little while anyway), as it is closer to the capital and will have less corruption, making more efficient use of the cow and wheat.
Old October 27, 2003, 21:16   #8
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 05:20
Don't make me reform the United Grid Lobbyists again!

Before making screenshots, ALWAYS TURN ON THE GRID!

I vote grabbing the Horsie.
Old October 27, 2003, 22:39   #9
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

So, I would still go for my site as the first location, and site 1 as the second location. Stress: first and second.

Old October 28, 2003, 01:49   #10
Rhothaerill
supporter
Emperor

Sounds fine to me.

BTW Ghengis, I'll try to remember to turn on the grid next time.

Last edited by Rhothaerill; October 28, 2003 at 02:50.
Old October 28, 2003, 02:51   #11
ormuzd
Civilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameIron CiversApolyton UniversityC4DG The HordeC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
Emperor

Local Time: 13:20
and what a city just SW of 1? We will have access to horses and to the fish (well, with some culture). But with all those forests around we can chop them to accelerate building of the temple.
Old October 28, 2003, 14:22   #12
GarP2
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:20
I guess I lean toward grabbing the horses by building directly north of them. This would also grab one of Jaen's wheat as well, so we could probably expect some reaction from them sooner or later for that. In order to make that work, we would need to also build on site 1 and build a harbor to get the horses to the mainland. Does a harbor give any culture? I'm at work and I can't remember. If not, then we would also need a temple in Site 1 before the horses could get to the mainland. This would probably mean that we'd need to furnish some military support to those towns from the mainland, so it is a sizeable investment, and will probably stimulate some action. I guess the same kind of support would be required if we built at cow2, but maybe not as soon. The harbor at site 1 would be desireable either way because of the fish, and whereever we build the 2 towns, the support they require will probably detract from agressive action elsewhere.

GarP2
Old October 29, 2003, 03:00   #13
ormuzd
Civilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameIron CiversApolyton UniversityC4DG The HordeC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
Emperor

the harbor does not generate culture. It only requires support of one gold per turn
Old October 29, 2003, 03:56   #14
BigFurryMonster
PtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 12:20
I agree with MrWIA. SW of that Cow. We could use a harbor on that side of this continent because there will be lots of traffic later. Plus, this site is not on Bonus Grassland so we won't waste it.

The same goes, by the way, for the tile S-S of SaG, and for the first Wheat tile near Jaen.
Old October 29, 2003, 11:35   #15
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

no 2

have a nice day
Old October 29, 2003, 14:02   #16
Torkkeli
Warlord

for MWIA's proposal.
Old October 29, 2003, 20:36   #17
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

I vote for MWIA's proposal.
Old October 29, 2003, 21:11   #18
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by ormuzd
the harbor does not generate culture. It only requires support of one gold per turn
It oughtta generate culture for Vikings.

I vote for MrWIA.
Old October 29, 2003, 23:27   #19
G'Kar
Prince

I feel like going along with the crowd, I vote for MWIA's proposal too.
Old October 30, 2003, 03:33   #20
ormuzd
Emperor

voted other but to place the city N of the horses (one tile SW more from MrWIA). We will grab the horses and the cow as well the two wheat tiles.
Building the next city on location 1 will give us harbor to use the horses.
Old October 30, 2003, 04:06   #21
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

The thing with going one tile further SW is that we start off with both wheat and one forest in radius, whereas if we stayed at the ONE tile SW of the cows we start off with the cows, one wheat and a forest. This will give us more raw production to work with (albeit some will be lost to waste) AND the food bonus.

The wheat gives +2 food each (effectively +1 for Despotism), whereas the cow gives +2 food (effectively +1) AND +1 shield. Thus a cow and wheat start is better than 2 wheat start. Either spot will give us both wheat and the cow when the culture radius expands, but until then let's have the spot that gives us the +1 shield straight off. Sound OK, ormuzd?

Old October 30, 2003, 06:02   #22
BigFurryMonster
PtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Uuuhh... it's true what you say, MrWIA, but keep in mind that SaG can also use those cows.
Old October 30, 2003, 08:25   #23
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
The thing with going one tile further SW is that we start off with both wheat and one forest in radius, whereas if we stayed at the ONE tile SW of the cows we start off with the cows, one wheat and a forest. This will give us more raw production to work with (albeit some will be lost to waste) AND the food bonus.

The wheat gives +2 food each (effectively +1 for Despotism), whereas the cow gives +2 food (effectively +1) AND +1 shield. Thus a cow and wheat start is better than 2 wheat start. Either spot will give us both wheat and the cow when the culture radius expands, but until then let's have the spot that gives us the +1 shield straight off. Sound OK, ormuzd?
hi ,

not to mention all the bonus grassland tiles that lay around , ....

that island leaves room for at least three cities so far , ......

the only thing we should invest in on a priority level is the protection of our foothold there , ....

have a nice day
Old November 1, 2003, 03:14   #24
ormuzd
Emperor

My idea is that placing there the city the cow will be captured between two city borders. This way it will be into our territory and we will use it. And we will have access to horses while not loosing those tiles. As a drawback I can see that we need another city with harbor to use the horses.

Last edited by ormuzd; November 1, 2003 at 07:11.
Old November 1, 2003, 13:00   #25
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Add one to "Other"

I'm thinking that the first Viking city on that island should be "Jean."

Next: SW of cow.

Third: #1.
Old November 1, 2003, 13:12   #26
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by joncnunn
Add one to "Other"

hi ,

, well its an ideal place , maybe some warriors ought to tell those people they are better of with us , .....

have a nice day
Old November 1, 2003, 15:00   #27
Rhothaerill
supporter
Emperor

Quote:
Add one to "Other"

It might not be the first, but it will be ours soon. .

I think it's safe to say that MWIA's proposal is what we'll be doing. We should be able to have MWIA's location settled in two turns, and placement 1 settled within about six turns or so. We can get a few workers ferried down there to begin tile improvement and some archers for the eventual takedown of Jaen. The southern continent IS ours after all, it just has squatters right now.
Old November 1, 2003, 15:02   #28
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Works for me.
Old November 1, 2003, 16:11   #29
Ninja Kid
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Neu DemogypticaPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-Sahaf
Chieftain