View Poll Results: Which model of diplomacy do you prefer?
Austrian artistry 5 62.50%
Prussian piledriver 3 37.50%
Neither, I'm Polish! Post below. 0 0%
Banana bash! 0 0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 27, 2003, 03:52   #1
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 06:21
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Ceasefire with Americans?
Citizen sparrowhawk has suggested a most machiavellian plan to destabilise the American Democracy. He suggests that we meet with their leader and sign a temporary cease fire with every intention of breaking it should it become inconvenient.

Then, with the ceasefire in place we will begin to occupy American territory with units. The hope is that if we put enough pressure on the cities, the Americans will bust the ceasefire and thus bring the downfall of their government once the Senate catches wind of their loose cannon President.

My opinion, Prussian that I am is to just steamroll over their last few cities, rather than having the Americans bring about their own downfall.

What say the people? Do they prefer the Austrian or the Prussian approach to dealing with the Americans?
Old October 27, 2003, 08:59   #2
duke o' york
Civilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 12:21
I don't see the need to fanny around with cease-fires, however good the plan is. We aren't in a position where the need to make a quick peace treaty will become vital so our reputation will have no bearing on the rest of the game. We'd only be prolonging our victory if we start the diplomatic two step with either the Greeks or the Americans. It'll be quicker - and far more fun - to just crush them like the insects they are!
Old October 27, 2003, 11:49   #3
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

After some additional thought (and Sparrowhawk's excellent summary of possible outcomes), I think there would be no harm and some potential benefit to trying this.

We can try to arrange a cease-fire, and if it is accepted (and the Americans have offered one on several ocassions) and have Dips positioned to bribe their cities immediately. If they refuse, no harm to us.

My guess is they will not accept a ceas-fire unless we take a city of theirs, but you never know. We have Dips near Bombay, New Orleans, and Denver, and only Los Angeles to find.

I say we try it.

Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old October 27, 2003, 18:40   #4
Sparrowhawk
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

I am pleased the our Foreign Minister choose to poll the citizens on this request, and as Cavebear pointed out, I see no drawback to this plan, and no reason why not to try it. (I have given my summary of possible outcomes in the Tale of the Years thread ?1824-1834? )

Truly you will make a great President Ben Kenobi and one who listens to the words of the people.

Whoever nominated you was wise indeed :P

/me
Old October 27, 2003, 19:16   #5
shade
King

Love the idea(and hope it works)

1 question to our foreign minister: is it ok if I ask the ppl to go to (active)war with russia, or will you do a poll on that yourself( then I'll ignore my results)

Shade
Old October 27, 2003, 21:44   #6
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

I consider this Russian attack an affront on our good conscience, and I expect you to show them the folly of their decision.

Unless the people object, I say we go to an active war, which you get to direct.

You're not stepping on my toes, you are just trying to figure out where we need to send our troops. The Russians did all the diplomacy.
Old October 28, 2003, 06:37   #7
shade
King

Quote:
You're not stepping on my toes, you are just trying to figure out where we need to send our troops. The Russians did all the diplomacy.
Just wanted to make sure...

Thanks for the support.

Shade
Old October 29, 2003, 21:04   #8
Sparrowhawk
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Just thought I would add the note that I think this should also be used with the Greeks. However, this poll is on the Americans, and I agree that if we are unsuccessful at implementing it with the Americans that we do not have to try it with the Greeks (though I really hope we do anyhow )
Old October 30, 2003, 01:03   #9
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

We have to learn to walk before we can run.

We don't even have a ceasefire with anyone yet!
Old October 30, 2003, 02:20   #10
Ljube
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

I don't support a ceasefire with Greeks, cause they are notorious for their sneak attacks regardless of the government.

Let's first test the idea with the Americans.
Old October 30, 2003, 06:58   #11
duke o' york
Civilization II Succession Games
Emperor

But the plan is to get them to sneak attack! The Greeks would appear to have an advantage if that is the case. However, I think we should try this out on the weaker civ first, but I still disagree with the idea!
We are the mightiest civ this bizarrely-shaped world has ever seen and we should be subjugating the heathens with the strength of our armies, not messing about so that we can buy their cities. If we can buy their cities then great, but I don't want to have to wait to do it! Taking Bombay might cause a change of government anyway. Let's smash them to pieces and then see what happens.
Old October 30, 2003, 19:17   #12
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

Quote:
We are the mightiest civ this bizarrely-shaped world has ever seen and we should be subjugating the heathens with the strength of our armies, not messing about so that we can buy their cities.
Unfortunately, the majority does not agree with us, so we now have to try this scheme. I completely agree with your approach, but we are in a minority, we few Prussians in a land of Austrians.
Old October 30, 2003, 23:05   #13
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 13:21
But was it our goal to destroy those pests outside our borders or to have non stop celebrations in our city's while our soldiers are dying in the field?

Give the army another 30 cannons and 30 engineers and the war will soon be over

Seriously, all we have to do now is build railroads to the Greek and German core and build loads of cannons and engineers. I understand that this is not everyone's ideal game but it is the most effective means of ending this war
Old October 31, 2003, 01:07   #14
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 23:21
Hmm, counting me as another Prussian voter, that makes far more than actually voted.

/me looks at the Prussians

Who didn't vote?

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!