Old October 27, 2003, 20:35   #1
Whoha
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Morgan
Emperor

Local Time: 06:24
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Turn 75 - 100
Turn 78:
So far off to an uninspiring start, Astro engineering was completed.

In addition to being able to build starports which will someday allow us to trade
with our own colonies, we now have two powerful defensive installations which will
allow me to exercise unbridled power... er defend the populace from certain unnamed,
foreign threats...

Robotics will be the next research project, our scientists tell of robots doing the
hard work for us, yeh right... AI will never get that good.

A new space port was started on our homeworld, what good it will do since there are
no other spaceports in existance remains to be seen.

Turn 81:
A new spaceport was completed today, Somehow this building is bringing in an
additional 9 billion credits per turn to us, who am I to complain...

The cloning facility for our colonial possession was purchased as well.

Turn 82:
A new batch of freighters were launched today. Ho hum, people seem to have lost
all interest in our space program.

Also the colonial cloning lab finished during this cycle, and a new colony base
has been started and it will be launched towards the huge world in the outer star
system.

Turn 86:
The hydroponics farm was purchased on the Darlenia 1 colony, this will allow the
homeworld farmers, who felt that their livelyhoods were being stolen to provide for
the colony(little do the suckers know that they are going to work in the factories
since we no longer need them farming, muhahahahaha!).

Turn 87:
The first of many colonists to have every bone in her shape shifting,formless, body broken
As the first 1000 colonists arrived on Darlenia 3.

The Darlenia 1 colony finished its hydroponics farm.

Turn 93:
We can now build robots with new discoveries in the field of Robotics.
These will let us mine more materials,build even larger space platforms and give my
security forces an unpresidented advantage over the enemies of the state. Our people
clamor for control of other stars now, The colonization of the giant planet having revived
that particular field. so Cold fusion will be the next research field.

A biosphere and a robo miner have been qued on the homeworld, meanwhile the briskly growing
colonial population of D1 will probably benefit from dispersing them to the new colony,
so as to keep dissent down.

An autofactory was purchased for the newest colony, which is a good thing considering that our workers will only produce ONE industry per million people.

Turn 94:
An autofactory finished on Darlenia 3 giving the colony somewhat decent production, and
a biosphere finished on our homeworld, now to find two bumbling idiots to trap in it for a
year...

Turn 96:
2 years after trapping two unsuspecting idiots into the biosphere Research into cold fusion
finished. We may now colonize(and more preferably conquer!) the stars with the new
technologies.

A robotics mining plant will be started at once, so that we can build colony ships.

Artificial Intelligence is now being looked into, I sure hope it proves more profitable
then previous research into the matter...

Finally I am pleased to announce the signing of the Darlenia two cloning ban, the
cloning center has been sold off, and will no longer cost us 3 billion credits per turn.

Turn 97:
A marine barracks was finished on Darlenia 3, but at the cost of starving several citizens(oops).

Turn 98:
The robotics mining plant has been finished on Darlenia 2.

Turn 100:
We are now 8 turns away from building a colony ship.

Rename the save file save9.gam.sav to save9.gam

Directions I am looking for:
Shall we turn the two colony worlds into research worlds once they are filled with people?

Since we only have barren worlds should terraforming be our next goal after super comps? or should pollution processors?

We are currently on the Computers path, but pollution is claming 44 of 100 production
and the processor will give us a bonus equal to what the robo miner gave us(about 20 production).

which planet shall we direct colonization towards, or should the colony ship be dropped
in favor of an outpost?

I favor:
headed straight for terraforming after super computers.
Colonies rather then outposts.
Turning the two colonies into dedicated research worlds once they fill up(and not
getting them space ports,defenses, or robo miners).
Attached Files:
File Type: sav save9.gam.sav (203.1 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by Whoha; October 29, 2003 at 21:23.
Whoha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2003, 20:40   #2
Whoha
Emperor

here are the jpgs
If I upload them to the file upload service can I link from there onto the forum?
Attached Files:
File Type: zip 75-100pics.zip (472.5 KB, 3 views)
Old October 27, 2003, 21:24   #3
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 07:24
Re: here are the jpgs
Quote:
Originally posted by Whoha
If I upload them to the file upload service can I link from there onto the forum?
You can just post them directly here, one at a time. Actually just as they are is fine. I guess if the player want them post so they can see them with no strain, they can just respond here.
You just attach them with the browse option.
Here is the first one:
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	colonycloning.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	56010  
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2003, 21:31   #4
vmxa1
Deity

"I favor:
Turning the two colonies into dedicated research worlds once they fill up(and not
getting them space ports,defenses, or robo miners)."

I downloaded the file, but have not check it yet, but as a rule I would look at how much production is dave with a PP.
It sounds like it would be worth doing on the HW. I forget off the top of my head, but I think it is 650 RP, while Terraform is 1150.
So you can research PP, get those mirv missile and build a PP, before you could get the terraform. That would give the new colonies time to build up enought to be ready for terraforming.
I suspect research planets is the way to go here. You will want those Robos before defense, unless we have a threat. Otherwise, it will be foreever to build a star base.
I am not sure about OP, I take that on a case by case.
Great job on the report.
Old October 27, 2003, 22:37   #5
Whoha
Emperor

Pollution processors say they give a 50% reduction, so it stands to reason that we will get 22 production on our homeworld additionally from building one.

And yea, getting to Pollution Processors after super comps will be 250 + 650 while getting to terraforming will be 900 + 1100.

Our total research is around 100, getting super comps and morale enhancers will push that up to around 200 immediately around our homeworld.
Old October 28, 2003, 02:48   #6
Iasius
Warlord

Local Time: 11:24
I'd say go to PP before darleniaforming. While our SETI program only received this strange report about some sakkra and gnolams, I think it would be good to think about defending our glorious empire, nice colony worlds will only seem inviting to an enemy.
Regarding outposts: They cost 100 production, but they also immediately give a new colonoy marine barracks which normaly cost 60. So I say let's go boldly where no shapeshifter has gone before by using outposts.
Iasius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2003, 05:25   #7
Gilgamensch
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
King

Local Time: 12:24
Hi all,

first:

I like the way how you (Whoha) are posting the summaries....... They are great

For research:

Might be more me, but I quite often just stick with (shugar....haven't got the game here...) the most upleft research till I have complete waste elemination.......... Just my thoughts.......
And otherwise I research computers for better research...........
Gilgamensch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2003, 05:43   #8
Iasius
Warlord

I wouldn't like to be so relatively defenseless, in a normal game you can just start another game, but I think we should avoid risks that might cause us to lose eraly in a DG game. If silicoid or sakkra show up soon, they are gonna crush us without adequate defenses. Which is why I suggest at least deuterium fuel cells and outposts to see who our neighbors are.
Old October 28, 2003, 06:44   #9
Gilgamensch
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
King

1.)

Quote:
Regarding outposts: They cost 100 production, but they also immediately give a new colonoy marine barracks which normaly cost 60. So I say let's go boldly where no shapeshifter has gone before by using outposts.
Don't really understand , but I hardly ever used outposts..........

2.)
Quote:
I wouldn't like to be so relatively defenseless, in a normal game you can just start another game, but I think we should avoid risks that might cause us to lose eraly in a DG game. If silicoid or sakkra show up soon, they are gonna crush us without adequate defenses. Which is why I suggest at least deuterium fuel cells and outposts to see who our neighbors are.
Can't really disagree with it
Only a dead Alien is a good Alien..............
Old October 28, 2003, 08:33   #10
Iasius
Warlord

You don't really need them if you research iridium fuel cells early, but otherwise they are quite useful in extending your range to find the best planets to settle so that your outer colonies can be ready to withstand assault so you can concentrate on developing inner colonies.
I like to start my first colony on the a good planet as far away as I can reasonably expect to defend (or which won't get attacked) until my fleet is built up, so I can colonize all the inner worlds without having to build defenses in case of an attack.
Otherwise enemies might take all your outer worlds early on while only your inner colonies are safe (missile base, etc).
Regarding outposts counting as marine barracks. When you build a colony on a planet you had an OP on, the colony starts with marine barracks. Since an outpost costs 100 production points and a marine barracks costs 60 an OP isn't really as expensive as it first seems. Remember we are a dictatorship and marine barracks improve morale by 20%.
Old October 28, 2003, 09:34   #11
Gilgamensch
King

Didn't know about the Outposts being converted into Marine barracks .................

I always (if I used them) put them on unusable planets............

For the range, Yes I agree...........Get as deep as possible into the enemies territory and settle there while you can
Old October 28, 2003, 10:20   #12
Old n Slow
Civilization II Succession Games
Prince

I’ve only used OP’s on asteroids & gas giants -- but a second feature I’ve seen is that they “invite” attack. If someone comes along, the OPs will be eaten first (being on the fringe) and it will give the few turn warning that bad stuff is hitting the fan.

I tend to not otherwise use OPs, save for extending the search horizon, so I was unaware that they also offer a “pre-built” barracks. If so, then we should squeeze out one or two, but not as a major priority -- more of a hope that the areas opened for exploration will yield a truly opportune planet.

Selling the cloning center (?) vs. exporting folks to our under-populated planets?

I tend to terraform earlier than later, but the pollution option sounds nice as well let’s go ahead & get the improved production & potential missiles.

Great write-up Pres!
Old October 28, 2003, 12:11   #13
Pave
Call to Power Democracy GameCall to Power PBEMCall To Power SuperLeague
Prince

Local Time: 14:24
Re: Turn 75 - 100
Quote:
Originally posted by Whoha
I favor:
getting them space ports,defenses, or robo miners).
Like it too, but wait untill I can download the turn.
Old October 28, 2003, 12:46   #14
Iasius
Warlord

Now that I see that, I don't mind turning our colonies into research worlds, but why no space ports? I guess you were talking about star bases?
'cause space ports cost 1bc per turn and usually generate more income than that.
Old October 28, 2003, 13:17   #15
vmxa1
Deity

You have to be careful about expanding with this race early in the game. Its low production will not allow it to make large fleets for some time. This means we will not be able to defend any OP or colonies.
You have to either go for colonies that you think you can get missile bases up before they are atacked. After about turn 130, they will probably need more than just a MB to protect them.
If we are very unlucky we could get a visit by T110, if so we will be hard pressed to hold more than the HW, if they get aggressive. So it depends on who shows up and when.
With that in mind you can use OP to found a planet that you intend to colonize and get the barracks (not useful for Unis) or you can use one to get extra range. I would suggest the extended range is of little use to use. Other than hitting a system that yields a stranded leader or cash or AW. This is because we will be unable to attack anyone soon and probably not defend the startup way out from the HW this early.
Old October 28, 2003, 13:25   #16
vmxa1
Deity

The extra fuel cells in and of itself is not a high priority either. The same reason, what will it do for us? We will not be in a hurry to make contacts with this race. The more you explore the more you are likely to find someone. We have to worry about being weak and being robbed. It will be awhile before we have anti spy techs and a few spies, so any contact will soon lead to them stealing our tech.
This race plays best with the turtle tactics. Stay low and avoid races, until you get that first battleship out. Our strength will be to make superior fleets later. We will be in a big hole during most of the game, that is how this race plays in a huge impossible setting, especially with this poor choice of planets.
Remember we can not make any deals, not even peace. We can only declare war or surrender. When we meet someone they will hate us, we are repulsive.
Old October 28, 2003, 13:35   #17
Whoha
Emperor

the reason to wait on improvements at the colonies is to make them research worlds more quickly. They don't need a robo miner plant or a space port to begin researching.
Old October 28, 2003, 18:45   #18
vmxa1
Deity

I would probably let them work on the Robo with no workers, just using the AF, once I have RL/Comp in place. IOW they can built other structures at what ever rate it takes. Eventually you will need the horse power to built your defenses, once we get under stress. Space ports are not much use with planets that have small pop. I let them go up once I have nothing better to build.
Old October 28, 2003, 20:16   #19
Whoha
Emperor

Also we need a poll for a star name if we go with colony ships.
Old October 28, 2003, 22:55   #20
vmxa1
Deity

Mr President, you have my proxy to vote for any name you wish.
Old October 29, 2003, 10:12   #21
Gilgamensch
King

Let's say it the other way round:

Any suggestions?
Old October 29, 2003, 20:48   #22
Main_Brain
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Free Drones
King

Local Time: 13:24
Antares/Earth2/YAP (yet another Planet)
Old October 30, 2003, 12:17   #23
Old n Slow
Civilization II Succession Games
Prince

I'm easy on the names, but some sort of descriptor for the value of the system might be nice. Other than that the less typing, the better (ie make for simple easy names.)
Old October 30, 2003, 19:32   #24
vmxa1
Deity

Rest of pic, Lesspoor
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	lesspoor.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	56247  
Old October 30, 2003, 19:34   #25
vmxa1
Deity

PoorProd: This should have been before the previous:
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	poorproduction.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	56249  
Old October 30, 2003, 19:34   #26
vmxa1
Deity

Pre Robo:
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	prerobo.jpg
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	56251  
Old October 30, 2003, 19:35   #27
vmxa1
Deity

Post Robo:
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	postrobo.jpg
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	56252  
Old October 30, 2003, 19:36   #28
vmxa1
Deity

SpacePort:
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	spaceportbuilt.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	56253  
Old October 30, 2003, 19:42   #29
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 05:24
I'm starting to get the urge to go kill this HyperSnap stamping guy...............
GhengisFarb™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2003, 19:44   #30
vmxa1
Deity

I finally got around to loading the save and looking at it. Sorry it took so long.
I had originally ran out to turn 100 from scratch with no pop shuffles for researching. I think you got Galis and I got Emo in my run and Cyr was not hired in mine either. So the difference in extra cash verses extra RP is that I have 3 more techs with Scanner in 7 turns. Some of that is due to a slight change in play. I got to t100 and started an OP, instead of a colony ship (OP in 2 turns).
Extra techs are minor as one is Laser a 2 turn tech at this stage, the other is Space Academy and D. cells.