Old October 27, 2003, 22:04   #1
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 04:24
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Global Warming is happening- What should we do about it?
I've read some biased articles that global warming is not happening, but really, come on. We all know what's going on.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/science....ap/index.html

I don't want to get into the same ole' argument about how humans aren't/are affecting climate change and global warming. We've done that to death. And I don't want to discuss the evil americans and the Kyoto protocol.

Basically it's already too late. global warming is in full swing. And I don't think we could do anything to stop it in the next 100 years. Though that doesn't mean we shouldn't try- but that isn't important for this thread.

What will global warming do to the world? How will things be different. global warming is more than just higher sea levels. Though this would affect many low lying areas. But it also affects things like hurricanes, rainfall, droughts. etc.

What I'm asking is if we can adapt to global warming. Can we counteract higher sea levels? Can we withstand more severe hurricanes, tornados, and droughts? Can we produce enough food to feed a growing population?
Old October 27, 2003, 22:34   #2
Wraith
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 06:24
Hrm. This is why some people have started calling for enviromentalists to be seperated from the government. Seperation of church and state, you know.
"Those who disagree are heretics and wrong!" Ah well, at least you haven't called for burning the heretics yet.
Although this may be because of the amount of pollution that would cause.

Well, you know what they say about bodies. Quicklime, everytime. Or you could open a new chain of restaurants dedicated to "human recycling" (although you'd probably owe royalties to Harry Harrison for that one).

Wraith
"If people think nature is their friend, then they sure don't need an enemy."
-- Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.
Old October 27, 2003, 22:41   #3
Bosh
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 20:24
The gulf stream will get shifted around due to global warming, this means that there will be very little to prevent places like the UK from getting as cold as New Foundland (similar latitude) while most of the rest of the world gets warmer.
Old October 27, 2003, 22:43   #4
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 05:24
Diss, are you aware that people have grown grapes around London at various times in the past when the climate was warmer?

Are you aware that agricultural settlements in Greenland were made untenable by decreasing temperatures?

Do you know just how much land there is in Northern Canada and Russia that could be extremely productive with a rise in mean temperatures and a longer growing season?

Are you aware that the Earth warms up and cools off over time all on it's own?
Old October 27, 2003, 23:13   #5
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

So you are saying there is no global warming right now?

see my link.
Old October 27, 2003, 23:18   #6
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 11:24
'global warming' is often a misleading phrase, I've heard that many ecologists are starting to use the term 'climate change' instead.

Do It Ourselves

Last edited by General Ludd; October 27, 2003 at 23:26.
Old October 27, 2003, 23:20   #7
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Invest in air conditioning.
Old October 27, 2003, 23:20   #8
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

well it could be natural, or man made. It makes no difference.

We have to adapt. It is true we could open up more farmland for longer periods up in Canada. But we still have to deal with increased droughts and hurricanes and such.
Old October 27, 2003, 23:22   #9
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Asher
Invest in air conditioning.
And stilted houses.

Do It Ourselves
Old October 27, 2003, 23:25   #10
Lefty Scaevola
lifer
Emperor

"Global Warming is happening- What should we do about it?"

Invade Iraq.
From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"
Old October 27, 2003, 23:25   #11
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

that's done. now what?
Old October 27, 2003, 23:28   #12
Ned
King

Local Time: 03:24
I already posted a solution: IIRC, a French company has discovered a new cheap plasitic solar cell that converts solar power into electricity at costs less than one can convert coal into electricity in power plants. Massive government support of this new technology, should it pan out, would be beneficial to all and help to reduce greenhouse gasses all at the same time.

This leads me to oppose, categorically, Kyoto as completely unnecessary.

Obviously, he inventors of this new technology will become filthy rich. If the commies of the world can put asside their wealth-envy just for a moment, we can get this new technology to market quickly by relying on private enterprise to produce the new solar panels on a massive basis.
Old October 27, 2003, 23:31   #13
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
I already posted a solution: IIRC, a French company has discovered a new cheap plasitic solar cell that converts solar power into electricity at costs less than one can convert coal into electricity in power plants....

If the commies of the world can put asside their wealth-envy just for a moment, we can get this new technology to market quickly by relying on private enterprise to produce the new solar panels on a massive basis.
You mean if you can get the oil barons to loosen their grip on the world and give up their energy production to a more cost effective means.

If any of what you said is true, anyways.

Do It Ourselves
Old October 27, 2003, 23:32   #14
Lefty Scaevola
lifer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
that's done. now what?
Didn't that fix everything?
From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"
Old October 27, 2003, 23:35   #15
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
So you are saying there is no global warming right now?

see my link.
No. I'm saying it is supposed to happen.
Old October 27, 2003, 23:35   #16
notyoueither
Deity

... and that you are right that we will have to find ways to adapt.
Old October 27, 2003, 23:36   #17
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Osweld

You mean if you can get the oil barons to loosen their grip on the world and give up their energy production to a more cost effective means.

If any of what you said is true, anyways.

I'm sorry, Osweld, I am sure you can find the thread I posted if you look. It references the news report on the new technology.

I assume you oppose the technological solution to global warming because it does not require a dismantling of US industry.

Right?
Old October 27, 2003, 23:42   #18
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned

I'm sorry, Osweld, I am sure you can find the thread I posted if you look. It references the news report on the new technology.

I assume you oppose the technological solution to global warming because it does not require a dismantling of US industry.

Right?
I didn't say I oppose it, I just have about 0 value for anything you say.

If there is a perfect solar sollution, great, but good luck telling that to the oil barons.

Do It Ourselves
Old October 27, 2003, 23:53   #19
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Osweld

I didn't say I oppose it, I just have about 0 value for anything you say.
Ah, another example of an open-minded leftist.
Old October 28, 2003, 00:17   #20
Berzerker
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Diss -
Quote:
I've read some biased articles that global warming is not happening, but really, come on. We all know what's going on.
How do you know the articles you've used to arrive at your belief in Global Warming were not biased?

Quote:
http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/scienc...g.ap/index.html
From the article: "Researchers found that warming is prevalent over most of the Arctic -- some areas bucked the trend, including Greenland, where temperatures appear to be cooling by about 0.2 degrees per year."

How can that be? Greenland is the northern hemisphere's biggest ice sheet and it's getting colder?

Quote:
I don't want to get into the same ole' argument about how humans aren't/are affecting climate change and global warming. We've done that to death. And I don't want to discuss the evil americans and the Kyoto protocol.
Actually, it hasn't been done to death. When these threads have popped up in the past I posted links to graphs showing the paleo-climatogical record and those claiming global warming is man-made disappear. We're in an "interstatial" period of an "ice age", a period when ice sheets retreat and the planet warms up followed by another cooling and the ice sheets return (that should be fun ).

Quote:
Basically it's already too late. global warming is in full swing. And I don't think we could do anything to stop it in the next 100 years. Though that doesn't mean we shouldn't try- but that isn't important for this thread.
Then what's your point? Look at the paleo-climatogical record and you will see temps are actually quite stable and mild compared to just the past ~100,000 years. Temp swings over this period have gone from much warmer to all out freezes...enjoy the warmth while it lasts because humanity's problem will be staving off the ice sheets when they try to return... Of course people should have alot of fun walking out onto the continental shelf looking for shipwrecks and treasure when sea levels drop.

Quote:
What will global warming do to the world? How will things be different. global warming is more than just higher sea levels. Though this would affect many low lying areas. But it also affects things like hurricanes, rainfall, droughts. etc.
The effects will vary by region, that's about all we can say for sure. About the most drought stricken place (large area) on the planet is Antarctica, so if it warms up enough for it to rain there the ice sheet will grow faster. Temps were much higher when the dinosaurs were alive and the planet responded by increased vegetation. Apparently there's evidence from a couple billion years ago of a global "ice age" with almost all the land being covered with ice.

Quote:
What I'm asking is if we can adapt to global warming. Can we counteract higher sea levels? Can we withstand more severe hurricanes, tornados, and droughts? Can we produce enough food to feed a growing population?
We adapted to ice sheets covering much of the northern hemisphere so I don't think warmer weather will make life harder for most people and will improve life for some. Much of the world's potential bread basket lies in regions negatively affected by the cold.
Old October 28, 2003, 00:18   #21
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 07:24
The United States already produces enough food to feed the entire world more than once. The problem is getting the food out there. I'm sure we could deal with temperature changes. And the effects aren't all bad, just mostly bad.
Old October 28, 2003, 00:28   #22
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

Local Time: 12:24
Heat is good, think at all the old farts around the place that are stuck home!
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom
Old October 28, 2003, 00:33   #23
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Lorizael
The United States already produces enough food to feed the entire world more than once. The problem is getting the food out there. I'm sure we could deal with temperature changes. And the effects aren't all bad, just mostly bad.
And just to add to the "worriers" concern that the US economy not be destroyed because of Bush's defiance of Kyoto, Global Warming will double US agricultural output thus enabling the US, by itself, to feed 12 billion people instead of 6 billion, thus concentrating even more power in the United States.
Old October 28, 2003, 00:40   #24
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 07:24
Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
And just to add to the "worriers" concern that the US economy not be destroyed because of Bush's defiance of Kyoto, Global Warming will double US agricultural output thus enabling the US, by itself, to feed 12 billion people instead of 6 billion, thus concentrating even more power in the United States.
Now that frightens me. No one entity, when there are so many other entities out there, should have so much power.

But anyways... this information comes from...?
Old October 28, 2003, 02:22   #25
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Lorizael

Now that frightens me. No one entity, when there are so many other entities out there, should have so much power.

But anyways... this information comes from...?
The official government reports on global warming published during the Clinton presidency.

US is agriculure will increase by 100%.

This, of course, is appalling to the environmentalists who seek first to destroy US power.
Old October 28, 2003, 02:42   #26
notyoueither
Deity

Heh, wait till you see what happens north of the 49th. You would be agricultural pip squeeks.
Old October 28, 2003, 02:53   #27
:) Smiley
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Tell your government to train lots of engineers in preparation.
Old October 28, 2003, 02:56   #28
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Frankly I could use some warmer weather.

Rising water doesn't hurt me when I'm so high up in elevation.
Old October 28, 2003, 03:04   #29
Ned
King

Yeah, Canada will benefit tremendously by warmer temperatures. Which is why the leftists in Canada support Kyoto.
Old October 28, 2003, 03:31   #30
Berzerker
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

There is no evidence sea levels keep rising throughout an interstatial. Once the ice advance ends, sea levels rise until the interstatial is established and sea levels stabilise. Temps rise but with higher temps come more evaporation, more cloud cover which reflects solar radiation, and more condensation diverting water back to the polar ice sheets.

The Earth is a self-regulating mechanism...and to use George Carlin's analogy, we are mere fleas waiting to be shaken from a dog's back...