Old November 2, 2003, 10:00   #61
Catfish
Prince

Local Time: 21:25
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I don’t really want to add fuel to the fire here, but a few comments about copyright grabbed my attention:

Quote:
Originally posted by thorgrimm
…thats his problem unless he has a copyright on his scen he does not own it The people who bought out microprose do!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by techumseh
When I was a newbie around here, I witnessed the debates when Alex the Magnificent tried to claim copyright on his artwork and even tried to SELL his scenarios (those were the days of Glastnost, I guess ) Alex conceded defeat, and the current understanding has been in place ever since.
I just read Hasbro’s EULA for Civ2 ToT and couldn’t find any clause that explicitly claims copyright ownership of any material produced for or by its software. There is, however, a paragraph which states the following:

Quote:
OWNERSHIP; COPYRIGHT: Title to the CD-ROM and the Documentation, and patents, copyrights and all other property rights applicable thereto, shall at all times remain solely and exclusively with Hasbro Interactive and its licensors…
From this and other sections of the agreement, it is clear that the contents of the CD-ROM and trademarks are protected. However, it is not clear what "patents, copyrights and all other property rights applicable thereto" covers – in fact it’s a circular statement in some respects.

My assumption is that the company will not claim copyright of other people’s scenarios, graphics and sounds. Therefore, irrespective of whether or not the creator/designer states copyright ownership, by the laws of most countries, ownership defaults to the creator/designer.

This means that Exile does in fact own the copyright to his scenarios and has a right to determine their distribution and use. Similarly, Alex and in fact all other graphics artists, have copyright ownership of their work. However, considering the way the Civ2 community operates, I must admit Alex’s behaviour sounds a bit anal, but he’s entitled to it.

The way I see it, all graphics posted in various showcase forums are free to use unless otherwise stated by the author, but acknowledgement is required – this seems to be an agreement by all. On the other hand, I believe that distribution of a modified scenario requires prior permission from the author. It’s simply common courtesy anyway. If you can’t contact the original author and proceed regardless, don’t be offended when you are asked to cease and desist if he/she later finds out. It’s just plain bad luck.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Old November 2, 2003, 10:50   #62
Palaiologos
Civilization II PBEM
King

Local Time: 11:25
ÅÔÓÉ, ÅÔÓÉ ÁÑ×ÉÓÔÅ ÊÁÉ ÍÁ ÐËÁÊÙÍÅÓÔÅ ÔÙÑÁ, ÍÁ ÂÁËÏÕÌÅ ÊÁÉ ÓÔÏÉ×ÇÌÁÔÁ!
Old November 2, 2003, 12:56   #63
curtsibling
staff
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation

Local Time: 12:25
"THUS, THUS YOU BEGIN AND TO BE CRASHED NOW, TO PUT ALSO BETS!"

Hoom?
Old November 2, 2003, 13:31   #64
Palaiologos
Civilization II PBEM
King

How the....?
Old November 2, 2003, 14:26   #65
EmuGod
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 07:25
Quote:
Originally posted by Case

As the saying goes, plagerism is the ultimate form of flattery

Seriously, the reason is that your scenarios are great potential starting points for various mods. The maps are great, the tech trees are excelent and the units and their stats are well chosen. I don't think that many other scenarios have such inherent flexibility. IMO the only ones which come close to being as mod-friendly are those by Harlan Thompson [who, for the record, I sought permission from before releasing mods of some of his scenarios. He was even nice enough to send me his unfinished scenario Dark Age/Vikings 2.0 which I lamely tried to finish, before giving it up owing to my near total ignorance of that period of history].
Where can I download these scenarios, Case?
Old November 2, 2003, 14:27   #66
curtsibling
staff

Local Time: 12:25
Quote:
Originally posted by Palaiologos
How the....?
Universal translation!

Old November 2, 2003, 17:06   #67
Palaiologos
Civilization II PBEM
King

?????

Needless to say Curt, your translation is severly distorted.
Old November 2, 2003, 20:31   #68
tanelorn
Prince

Local Time: 13:25
Ùðá êáñíôáóç, ìáò êáíáí ôóáêùôïõò! What about tsikimpakaekenakarxikidiki -korakistika (just checking )

This is all meaningless & actually rather hilarious, Exile is a true original genious, acknowledged by the bulk of CIV community. I don't think he has to prove anything to anyone.

So I bet on the old rooster!
Old November 2, 2003, 22:02   #69
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by EmuGod

Where can I download these scenarios, Case?
Erm, good question. I uploaded them to the forum in a thread called something like 'scenario upgrades' or 'scenario updates', but I've been unable to find it with the 'poly search function.
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
Old November 2, 2003, 22:41   #70
EmuGod
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 07:25
Quote:

Erm, good question. I uploaded them to the forum in a thread called something like 'scenario upgrades' or 'scenario updates', but I've been unable to find it with the 'poly search function.
Relax, I found them myself . You can find the thread here. BTW, did you upgrade anything in the scenarios other than the units? For exmaple, did you change Harlan Thompson's scenario to be playable by civs other than the Axis?
Old November 3, 2003, 16:53   #71
Cyrion
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 13:25
Quote:
Originally posted by Exile
On a related note, does anyone else besides me suspect that this is yet another soundwave DL? He sure does have the tone of a soundwave DL.
Quote:
The writing style does look spookily familiar

[though I accept Tech's findings of different IPs]
I rather doubt it for 2 reasons:
1) there are not enough language mistakes! (sorry Sean, but your english is sometimes sooo difficult to understand... )

2) If I remember well, Soundwave didn't actually insult Exile like Thorgrimm did; even if the conversation grew "hot" and far from nice, it was much more "polite" than this one! Of course, as I wasn't really involved, my memory might be playing tricks and Exile surely does remember it more clearly than I do!

And BTW, yes, I think that before making a modification of a scen public, you should ask the author (who, of course, should say that it's ok! just kidding... )
LOST LEGIONS Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...hreadid=169464
Old November 4, 2003, 02:58   #72
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by EmuGod

Relax, I found them myself . You can find the thread here. BTW, did you upgrade anything in the scenarios other than the units? For exmaple, did you change Harlan Thompson's scenario to be playable by civs other than the Axis?
No, I only updated the graphics. The scenarios are so good that I can't think of any way of improving them.
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon