Old October 28, 2003, 14:53   #1
The Viceroy
Prince

Local Time: 12:25
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Sad sad music
Along with my usual collection of music, i noticed that I have a few bits of music which are reserved for those moments in life, when you really just want to retreat into yourself / sulk / feel sad / cry / or just get that low feeling over and done with.

I was just wondering, does anybody else do this ? and if so, what music do you listen to in this situation, and why ..

For me, Ive got a collection of Vangelis (theme from cosmos etc) , and some music from the good the bad and the ugly (death of a soldier) ..

It all reminds me of my childhood, golden moments and better times...

But don't let that depress the thread .. I was actually just wondering if im the only morbid person to do this ???
Old October 28, 2003, 15:07   #2
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Local Time: 06:25
Oh good. I can put this here, too.

Reflections Of My Life
by Marmalade

The changing of sunlight to moonlight
Reflections of my life, oh, how they fill my eyes
The greetings of people in trouble
Reflections of my life, oh, how they fill my eyes
All my sorrows, sad tomorrows
Take me back to my own home
All my cryings (all my cryings), feel I'm dying, dying
Take me back to my own home (oh I'm going home)
I'm changing, arranging, I'm changing
I'm changing everything, ah, everything around me
The world is a bad place, a bad place
A terrible place to live, oh, but I don't wanna die
All my sorrows, sad tomorrows
Take me back, to my old home
All my cryings, (all my cryings),feel i'm dying, dying
Take me back to my old home (i'm going home)
All my sorrows, sad towmorrows
Take me back, (take me back) to my old home.....
Old October 28, 2003, 15:19   #3
Spec
Emperor

Local Time: 11:25
Re: Sad sad music
Quote:
Originally posted by The Viceroy
Along with my usual collection of music, i noticed that I have a few bits of music which are reserved for those moments in life, when you really just want to retreat into yourself / sulk / feel sad / cry / or just get that low feeling over and done with.

I was just wondering, does anybody else do this ?
Not me, I dont see the point. Why feel sorry for your self? What is it good for. No good can be acomplished that way....atleast not for me. If I did that, I would get on my own nerves. Happy, energenic music is what I listen to to get my self back on track....no unhappy shlt to pull me away even further.

Just my 2 cents.

Spec.
Old October 28, 2003, 15:31   #4
Combat Ingrid
Prince

Local Time: 20:25
Katatonia is almost always on my playlist when I feel sad.
Old October 28, 2003, 15:36   #5
Sirotnikov
DiplomacyApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 13:25
I have that.

I listened to some sad songs for a while after my gf broke up from me.
Old October 28, 2003, 15:39   #6
Spec
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sirotnikov
I have that.

I listened to some sad songs for a while after my gf broke up from me.
From you?....was she on you? Or attached to you with staples or something?

Spec.
Old October 28, 2003, 15:53   #7
The Viceroy
Prince

I can understand that view spec, for me, its not about wallowing in self pity, but using Music to express your feelings, and it usually always ends up cheering you up.

Its a good release.

However, I can see that it probably isn't for everybody.
Old October 28, 2003, 15:54   #8
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 08:25
I like sad music. Usually the most beautiful songs are the saddest ones.
Old October 28, 2003, 16:47   #9
Bugs ****ing Bunny
Emperor

Reprint from an earlier thread

Quote:
At this point I'll reveal that my record collection (which is seriously vast- over 1000 albums in fact) largely comprises of some of the most emotionally ravaged songs ever committed to vinyl. I can't get enough of them- in fact I have often bought records by people I've never heard purely on the strength of a single review describing the object as traumatic listening. Most of which I've loved.

I'm not talking about angst or adolescent moping here. What I looked for was music made in the very grip of emotional breakdown- the sound of somebody literally pouring their soul into music and ripping their guts out in the process. I suppose it could be likened to drug addiction in that I was always looking for the stronger hit, and rejecting lesser depression in the process.

When pressed on the subject I came up with the analogy that listening to such music was like picking at a scab- painful, self-destructive, self-indulgent and morbidly fascinating. Which sums it up really, although there's a fair bit of emotional voyeurism involved as well. It's a glimpse into the chasm, the edges of which I have danced along from time to time. I can't get enough of it- I love the bleakest and most grief-stricken of music and seek it out whenever I can. Sad songs are fab. So what do you lot think?

In the meantime here's a quick guide to a few songs guaranteed to kill any party stone dead.

"Hardly getting over it"- Husker Du. Just ordinary everyday heartbreak. The scariest part is that this song describes things that are almost certainly going to happen to all of us.

"Kathleen"- American Music Club. Mark Eitzel is godhead of grief and he really tears into himself on this one. It's almost emotionally crippled. It's almost scary.

"United Kingdom"- American Music Club. Eitzel goes to the other extreme. Psychotically numb.

"24"- Red House Painters. Feeling young and fresh? Play this and hear the reaper sharpening his scythe especially for you. Growing old inevitably.

"The letter"- Kristin Hersh. A first-hand account of what happens during a schizophrenic crisis, when an already imaginative person is no longer able to distinguish reality from fantasy. Think about that. If that doesn't terrify you nothing will.

"It's all over"- The God Machine. So much has drained out of this song it's left barely moving and colder than the arctic.

"Man to child"- House of love. Pure resignation, and beautiful with it.

“She can see the angels coming”- Grant Hart. If this doesn’t put a lump in your throat you’re not human.

“I want you”- Elvis Costello. The ultimate in frustrated obsession

"Here comes a regular"- The Replacements. Absolutely the best song for making grown, beer-drinking men cry.

The strangest thing about these songs is that they tend to be astonishingly beautiful.

If, on the other hand, you’d like to go to the true extremes and hit the point where they become harrowing, and a genuine ordeal to experience- try these.

“The kids”- Lou Reed. Off “Berlin”. The sounds of children screaming on this were obtained by the producer Bob Ezrin coming home, telling his two children that their mother was dead (falsely), and locking them in a cupboard with a microphone. For a whole album of real depression, buy “Berlin”. It’s a real heavyweight.

“Don’t play cards with Satan”- Daniel Johnston. Johnston is a genius songwriter but crippled by manic-depression. He wrote this at the absolute pit of depression and it’s very frightening.

“The bloodbells chime”- Current 93. Current 93 are a disturbing prospect at the best of times , and this is a monster. As is “Broken birds fly”, also by C93.

For whole albums of depression I recommend these….

“Berlin”- Lou Reed
“Down Colorful Hill”- The Red House Painters (though it has one happy song….)
“Engine”, “California”, “United Kingdom” or “Everclear”- all by American Music Club. Sadness is their life.
“1990”- Daniel Johnston.
Old October 28, 2003, 16:59   #10
Sirotnikov
DiplomacyApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

Quote:
From you?....was she on you?
At some point
Old October 28, 2003, 17:29   #11
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
"24"- Red House Painters. Feeling young and fresh? Play this and hear the reaper sharpening his scythe especially for you. Growing old inevitably.

"Mistress" is one of my favourite sad songs by them.
Old October 28, 2003, 17:55   #12
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Re: Sad sad music
Quote:
Originally posted by The Viceroy
Completely. I have a 'Sad' playlist on Winamp for when I feel down. Some songs have helped me through a lot, and I can't help but cry when they come on.

"Angel" - Sarah McLachlan and "Hallelujah" from the Shrek soundtrack come to mind.
Various radiohead and REM tracks expressed my emotions when I was less than happy. "Walk Unafraid" and "Climbing the Walls" especially.
"Anything More" - Spiritualized seems to have a large effect on me, as does "Human Remains" - Tom McRae (indeed, most of his work does, especially "You Only Disappear").
"The Drugs Don't Work" - The Verve has also been poignant at times (sadly a little too poignant )

Sometimes it's a particular sadness though, so some tunes that may be less characteristic work, like "Kiss from a Rose" - Seal or "Sitting on the Dock of the Bay" - Otis Redding. A trilogy from Matchbox 20 (Leave, You Won't be Mine and Least Beautiful Girl) also have particular memories attached.

"Life is for Living" - Coldplay is a special song for me too, when I heard it live I cried because of the things it made me think of.

"Finally Found" b- The Honeyz and "How Do I Live Without You" - Leann Rimes will always be special, as being songs that I really want to hate, but the memories attached to them are way to happy to let me. "You Don't See Me" - Josie and the Pussycats (Tara Reid, Rachel Leigh Cook and some other girl) may be cliche and trashy in places, but I've spent hours listening to it thinking, so makes me feel a certain way.

At the moment, "Colourblind" - Counting Crows, "My Immortal" - Evanescence, "In Remote Part" - Idlewild, "Fight Club" - The Flaming Lips, and especially "Lost Without You" - Delta Goodrem seem to have that kind of effect. The last one for many reasons Also "At My Most Beautiful" - REM, which I've liked for years, but seems to have new meaning now

My music partly goes with, and partly dictates my mood. I have so many memories that I have linked to music, that some sad songs have the opposite effect, and vice versa. It depends on the kind of sadness what I listen too. I haven't felt it for a while, but at times, the only thing that helped was going and getting my sax and playing whatever was in my head.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old October 28, 2003, 18:09   #13
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

And how can I forget "True Love Waits" - Radiohead. It has memories, it has passion, it makes me want to cry (or hug Louise ) and it sounds beautiful.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old October 28, 2003, 18:21   #14
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 04:25
I don't do that as much as I used to.

There's really only one album I really listen to, to bring myself down. A lot of it is beause I associate the album with my ex-girlfriend who died. But the album is pretty depressing even without the association.

Smashing Pumpkins- Meloncollie and the Inifinite Sadness.

I doubt I listen to that album more than once a year. That's enough for me.
Old October 28, 2003, 18:24   #15
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I mostly listen to angry music, though, and not sad music.

Though Metallica's Low Man's Lyric might be considered a sad song.

I mainly listen to Metallica, Tool, Danzig, Iron Maiden, Sepultura, System of a Down and such. And other bands like Pantera, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Prong, Primus, Ozzy Osbourne, Megadeth, Ministry, Dark Angel, the list goes on and on and on and on and on some more

As for stuff I like on the radio I like Linkin' Park and stuff like that.
Old October 28, 2003, 20:43   #16
molly bloom
King

Local Time: 21:25
Reminds me of a conversation I had with a friend a few years ago- whenever he felt depression setting in, or just had a case of the blues, then it was time for the sad platters to come out of the record covers.

Oddly enough it's not always the supposedly out and out melancholy songs that necessarily are the ones people listen to when they're feeling down- in my case it's more often songs that I associate with times when I've been depressed, or was listening to when I received bad news- such as Shawn Colvin's 'Shotgun Down the Avalanche' which I'd been listening to before I received the news of my friend's death.

That said it's a diverse bunch anyway- everything from Bryan Ferry and 'Carrickfergus' to Bowie's 'Moss Garden', Mary Coughlan's 'Invisible to You', Brian Eno's 'Music for Airports', Joni Mitchell's 'Blue', and Thomas Tallis's 'Spem in Alium'. It's good to have a whole album's worth of melancholia- I find it has a cathartic effect most of the time.

I don't know what you're talking about by international law. G.W. Bush, 12/03
Old October 28, 2003, 21:08   #17
Zylka
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Dido - White Flag
U2 - With or without you
Old October 28, 2003, 21:15   #18
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 07:25
Quote:
Originally posted by Zylka
U2 - With or without you
Lately you've started to suck.

Lou Reed - No Change
Albert Speer
Old October 28, 2003, 21:20   #19
rev
Chieftain

Everyone has these kind of songs. My favorites, in particular, usually have to do with the end of relationships (but not always):

Guster, "Either Way"
Ben Folds Five, "Evaporated", "Selfless, Cold, and Composed"
American Football, "Never Meant"
Alkaline Trio, pretty much any song they've written
Nada Surf, pretty much anything after and including "Proximity Effect"
Counting Crows, again, almost anything.
Old October 29, 2003, 08:06   #20
Verres
Settler

Quote:
Yep, listened to a lot of that kind of music this morning.

"Epiphany" - Staind
"It's been a while" -Staind (Both from an album that has some horrible memories, but is very good for crying to)

"The drugs dont Work" - The Verve (Like Drogue said, scarily poignant...yet strangely comforting )

"Nights in White Satin" - Moody Blues (I defy anyone to listen to this and not get emotional)

"Yesterday" - Beatles (yes, its not exactly original i know)

"Moonlight" - Beethoven
Old October 29, 2003, 08:39   #21
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Mad world - Gary Jules (the Donnie Darko version)
Ne me quite pas - Brél
Pictures of you - Cure
Drive - REM
Elle adore le noir - Arno
People are strange - The Doors
Forever young - Alphaville
Et maintenant - Becaud
Stand by me - Ben E King
Heroes - Bowie
That's just the way it is - Hornsby
Ring, Ring - Grignard Ferre
Bobby McGee - Janis Joplin
True Colors - Cindy Lauper
The last film - Kissing the pink

I'm gonna stop here, don't feel like getting depressed today

BTW: if there is a song you've never heard of, get it (you know how), they all are good songs ( especially the non-english ones, for which you don't need to know any french at all, IE you''ll get the picture without understanding the words )
Old October 29, 2003, 08:50   #22
The Viceroy
Prince

Wow, good to see im not alone

Ive also got some Enya stuff (not at home, so don't have the titles), which i use to l listen to.

For me, quite a lot of the music seems to be film related .. not sure why, maybe because film music of all music will try and add to the emotion of a situation, which makes it ideal sad music.
Old October 29, 2003, 08:53   #23
reds4ever
Prince

why would anybody want listen to music that makes them feel sad? Lifes too short
Old October 29, 2003, 08:55   #24
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

'Cause sadness is a very intense emotion, call it 'quality time' if you want.

And one can't enjoy the sun and warmth, if one never experiences rain or cold
Old October 29, 2003, 09:06   #25
rixxe
Prince

It's strange that nobody mentioned Portishead.
Old October 29, 2003, 10:30   #26
reds4ever
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by alva
'Cause sadness is a very intense emotion, call it 'quality time' if you want.
hitting my thumb with a lump hammer would cause a very intense sensation, i try to avoid it though
Old October 29, 2003, 12:36   #27
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 08:25
wow, good thread for kazaa lovers. thank you, guys.
Old October 30, 2003, 04:30   #28
alva
Deity

Quote:
hitting my thumb with a lump hammer would cause a very intense sensation, i try to avoid it though
And right you are, I try to avoid being sad too, but if it happens to strike, I might as well make the most of it, no.
Old October 30, 2003, 05:15   #29
Sikander
King

Quote:
Originally posted by molly bloom

That said it's a diverse bunch anyway- everything from Bryan Ferry and 'Carrickfergus' to Bowie's 'Moss Garden', Mary Coughlan's 'Invisible to You', Brian Eno's 'Music for Airports', Joni Mitchell's 'Blue', and Thomas Tallis's 'Spem in Alium'. It's good to have a whole album's worth of melancholia- I find it has a cathartic effect most of the time.
Moss Garden has never failed to wring a tear from me, which is surprising in that it's an environmental piece with no singing. It reminds me very much of childhood though. A lot of Eno stuff fits the bill, especially the second half of Before and After Science. Bjork also does sad very well. When I'm not extremely depressed I listen to the fairly large collection of sad type songs in my collection, and they sound so extraordinarily beautiful that I often cry those little tears of rapture that come from the outsides of my eyes. When I'm actually depressed I tend to play from a smaller play list of healing music. This tends to be music that is somewhat sad, but builds into a somewhat triumphal piece by the end. An example would be a lot of Roxy Music, or King Crimson's "Sheltering Sky", a fair amount of Pink Floyd etc. Good moods tend to require strongly triumphant music like the Who, or lighter fare like happy Jazz, or fun and funny stuff like the B-52s. It's fun being the music director of your own life.
Old October 30, 2003, 05:17   #30
Sikander
King

Quote:
Originally posted by reds4ever

Too bad you didn't apply the same philosophy to your brain!