Old October 30, 2003, 00:34   #31
Vev
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human Hive
King

Local Time: 21:27
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Vev shakes Googlie's mittened hand.

"How in the world did you get Q-tips? I thought they were banned?"

"To get to that door I was hoping we could pass off as normal technicians on a routine maintenance checkups. Otherwise we use something *points to crates* to trick the camera and sneak close enough. Of course that looks really suspicious if someone was watching. *points to windows*"
Old October 30, 2003, 00:49   #32
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 11:27
GOD MOD:
God begins to exercise.
RESULT: Winds begin to blow a lot harder.
Old October 30, 2003, 01:07   #33
Octavian X
Civilization III Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HivePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy GameACDG3 GaiansC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 05:27
"Routine maintaince fake seems like the best way to play this. That infrared camera looks ominous, and those windows could go somewhere undesirable.

"Plus, if we can pass ourselves off as technicians, less of the operation can be done without excessive cover.

"OK people, face masks..."
Old October 30, 2003, 01:09   #34
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 04:27
Googlie nods

"Well, I can easily disable the infrared camera, I think, or blind it at least for a while."

*** Reaches down and grabs a handful of snow, compacting it into a ball, then stands up and throws it at the glass frontage of the camera, missing high ***

"Rats - I never was much good as an outfielder - preferred the slips, really. But let's try again"

*** Packs another snowball, and watches its parabola as it sails just to the right, caught by a sudden gust of wind ***

"By Tass' s breath, this is hard work" mutters Googlie, compacting yet another snowball.

This time the allowance for gravity, and the wind, works and with a satisfying splatter the snowball busrts on the glass, neatly obscuring the camera lens from the action on the ground below.

"So lets move the crates about half-way towards the door, and we'll maybe get a clear run at yon window as well"

With much huffing and grunting the team move the crates towards the door, and in doing so find a succession of smaller, still empty. crates inside the big one.

Googlie looks at Mr X and at Vev, and answers HongHu's unspoken question:

"I'm sure that Mr X will find something useful to do with these smaller boxes - at least they'll keep the xenodoughnuts dry if nothing else"
Old October 30, 2003, 02:14   #35
Vev
King

"I can pick physical locks but electronic circuitry and software encoding is outside my specialty."

"We better clean and dry our boots and coats once we are inside. After that we need to find a map of this building and today's room bookings."

"Plus depending on the update from Mission Control, I might have to look for suitable disguises, such as a cleaner or a technician."
Old October 30, 2003, 03:12   #36
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace

GOD MOD:
Tassadar notices Googlies difficulty. He begins to breath on Planet.
RESULT: The wind is beginning to turn into a small hurricane!
Old October 30, 2003, 03:17   #37
Vev
King

"With all this blizzard I will be glad to be inside before I freeze in half an hour. At least no one can see us properly."
Old October 30, 2003, 03:49   #38
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

The guard sat in the warm. He was glad he had a nice infraredcamera to keep an eye on things. Pretty much everything was just black - no heat. Heh - it was probably some snow got over the lens. Well, he'd phone a drone laborer to go and clear it up.

Nice ideas SNOWBALLS against the wall

I estimate you should try and get in now, before the snowballs melt.

Googlie - nice mittens, good to have you on board.
Octavaian - I hope you can keep your team alive.

***MISSION UPDATE***

Central command wishes to remind all that if they are detected the operation is failed. Your families will be sent the ashes of a random Drone corpse.
We must obtain full infilteration of the datalinks.

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old October 30, 2003, 07:05   #39
Vev
King

"Boss we have a mission update. Authentication confirmed. I could think of a number of ways to access the datalinks, but getting the juicy stuff would be interesting.

"Hack into the internal secure server but to do that we need find an access port which can only be accessed inside secured area whom the I believe some of the Deans and Professors have access to."

"Have I missed out anything?"
Old October 30, 2003, 10:56   #40
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Confirmed - we need the team to access a Network Node in order to give us full control and access over all the Uni's data for ever. Once we have the infilteration in place, perhaps we can get fake access codes and download thier famous research.

-Jam
Old October 30, 2003, 11:23   #41
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

"Hmmm, Mr X. I can pick the electronic lock on the main door, but that's prolly risky. The better bet would be to get the team in through the window over there while the camera is blacked out.

"Plus it's freezing here and that wind has picked up - it will muffle any noise we make getting the window open.

"But it may be security wired, so I'll need to short it to deactivate the alarm. They'll get a malfunction message and will eventually send someone to investigate, so the opportunity tio gain access will be short. We'll need Vev to be the first one through to pick off any investigators that get sent to see what's up.

"I'll instruct the rookie how to apply the short, and then we can hoist her up to work the magic. She's the lightest among us, so it should be easy."

The Probe Team Leader nods assent.

Googlie shuffles over to HongHu and pulls out the packet of Q-tips. and opens his toolkit. Snapping the head off two, he pulls out the thin silksteel filament wire, and fashions a rudimentary circuit-breaker.

"Mr X - I need to borrow the Xenodoughnut instagenerator for a sec"

Mr X passes it over. Googlie pries it open and extracts the tiny fission pack, and carefully attaches the ends of the filaments.

"Now, HongHu - we'll hoist you up to that window - or if you have grappling gear, so much the better. Attach these two live ends either side of the catch you can see at the top of the window frame, and the circuit will break. Smash the window in, and then help Vev get up and into the complex."

HongHu nods, and says: .........................................
Old October 30, 2003, 13:06   #42
Jamski
Deity

Upon close inspection of the windows 2 things are obvious.

Firstly, the glass is darkened, and even by pressing your hands against it you can see nothing inside. Secondly, the glass is millitary grade anti-tank glass. Thirdly, even the frame appears to be armoured. You guess someone REALLY wants to keep people out of this room. Now the alarm seems to be deactivated... If you had some explosives, you could blow it up. But there seems to be no way of opening it short of violence.

-Jam
Old October 30, 2003, 13:25   #43
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

HongHu slips down from Googlie's shoulder. "The window is hard to be broken by hand. Maybe I could give my 'nailclipper' a try. The lazer ray it generates should be sufficient to cut the glass out. But if somebody looks at this window they will sure realize that it has been tempered with. What do you guys think?"

Grapefruit Garden
Old October 30, 2003, 16:37   #44
Vander
ACDG The Human HivePtWDG2 SunshineAlpha Centauri Democracy GameMacCivilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 Morgan
Prince

*Mistake. Delete me/ disregard me*
and then refusing to decide

Last edited by Vander; October 30, 2003 at 16:42.
Old October 30, 2003, 16:56   #45
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

Please don't leave yet Vander. See my post in the hello thread (which I'm going to make).

Grapefruit Garden
Old October 30, 2003, 18:05   #46
Jamski
Deity

Mission Control reminds the Probe Team that they must not be discovered.

-Jam
Old October 30, 2003, 19:07   #47
Octavian X
Civilization III Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HivePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy GameACDG3 GaiansC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Really? I thought we were to properly announce our presence.. .

I still think the window's iffy...

Should we take the risk?
Old October 30, 2003, 19:08   #48
Vev
King

Vev casually inspects the door and sees nothing out of the ordinary. He then decides to push on the handle testing if it is locked.
Old October 30, 2003, 19:20   #49
Jamski
Deity

The door is a pretty ordinary door. A sing on it reads :

"Technicians Entrance - Check all keys with the clerk"

As Agent Vev leans gently on the door it swings slowly inward and open. Luckily the room on the other side is empty. *phew* It would have been pretty hard to explain what you were doing out there in the snow.

The room is basically a cube, and seems to be a changingroom/store/office/utility... well, you know, a kind of back room that gets used for whatever needs doing that is a bit messy. Old boots, broken tools and newspapers litter the floor, and on the desk in the far left corner is an antique pushbutton telephone and a world-beating collection of moldy styrofoam coffee cups. The room has a strong odor of decay. On the far wall is a grim-covered window, and this looks over a small courtyard filled with more junk, parts of machines etc. On your left is a very strong looking door with :

Authorised Personel Only

written on it. Behind the door on the other wall, to your right, you can hear the sound of music playing on a radio. In the distance someone is hitting metal with a hammer. The other doors are closed.

You'd better get in out the cold, and see what kind of "back door" this has turned out to be...

-Jam
Old October 30, 2003, 19:21   #50
Jamski
Deity

Latest map for you

-Jam
Old October 30, 2003, 23:31   #51
Octavian X
King

"Well, we definetly don't want to risk alarms on the armored door, or dection through the backdoor."

Mr. X notices the storage lookers next to the entrance, and starts to pick open the locks, one by one, to try to find something useful the staff might have in there...
Old October 31, 2003, 05:37   #52
Jamski
Deity

Its nice looking through people's private stuff, isn't it. The first locker seems not to have been used for years. A very aged pair of mens sports socks are the only occupants. The second contains mostly pornographic magazines. The third has a pretty dirty overall, with "Dave" on the breast pocket, a can of oil, and a photo of a middle aged woman, apparently called Sheila, according to the scribble on the back of the photo, and she is a "hot number" also. Hmmm...
The final locker is unlocked and contains tins of dog food. They appear to be old enough to date back to the Unity. There is a picture of a happy dog on each tin, and they are still being used, if the evidence of a tin-opener hanging on the inside of the locker door is anything to go by.

The music in the next room is turned down for a moment, and you hear a voice through the south wall,

"...better with the music down a bit eh?... ...what?... ...didn't know we HAD a camera... ...yeah... ...yeah... ....ok, come and look at it then... ...all evening I suppose... ...what's your name again? Need to tell security for... ...you get here?... ...that's a long name, I'd better write it down... ...ok... ...ok... ...yeah, its cold too... ...ok, seeya soon..."

The music is turned back up again. Its really poor.

-Jam
Old October 31, 2003, 19:24   #53
Nubclear

GOD MOD:
The wind continues to blow, and snow begins to fall more rapidly.
RESULT:
University power systems are beginning to malfunction.
Old November 1, 2003, 10:02   #54
Jamski
Deity

Hello?

Why is the probe team standing in a store room?
Get to it guys

-Jam
Old November 1, 2003, 22:20   #55
Octavian X
King

We'll get to it, when we're done with this magazine...

Old November 2, 2003, 00:18   #56
Nubclear

GOD MOD:
The record temperature cold has shut down many systems, including a "No Shut Down" system to guard from hackers.
RESULT:
The alarm is minutes away from going off.
Old November 2, 2003, 10:47   #57
Jamski
Deity

OK, its a GAY porn mag.

Finished now?

-Jam
Old November 2, 2003, 19:11   #58
Vev
King

"Excuse me Mr X," Vev retrieved the overalls from the locker and puts on the technician clothing. Vev then searches the pockets for anything useful. Vev then replaced "Dave" on the nametag with "Tom". Oh yeah the pistol is within easy reach underneath the overalls.

"How about this, I walk in a nd say to the counter that I have to fix a glitchy air conditioning system due to the extreme cold weather. At the maintenance panel I short the power grid so that the door security system will reset making it easier to open? This is after we find a plan of this building which should be in the council archives."

Last edited by Vev; November 2, 2003 at 19:26.
Old November 2, 2003, 19:28   #59
Jamski
Deity

Could be worth a try, eh?

Better find someone that's in cahrge of that kinda thing...

-Jam
Old November 3, 2003, 01:30   #60
Vev
King

*Vev imagines in his mind a scene of carnage, klaxons wailing, screams of bystanders and the cracking of mauler fire.

The PA system continually repeats:
Evacuate the building immediately, this is not a drill, evacuate the building immediately...

A terror stricken scientist in a bloodied labcoat runs screaming from the corridor shouting,
"Don't let the plague vectors out!"
Before he was promptly shredded by a rain of automatic mauler fire.

The building shook a little as leaking gas mains ignited a few floors below.*

Back to the real world ...
"Can we patch onto the wireless network to receive the online interactive building plans?"