Old November 2, 2003, 14:39   #31
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 07:28
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by DrSpike
Do you like the Heroes series? What about AOW2?
Love Homm and AoW.
Old November 2, 2003, 14:44   #32
vmxa1
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamski
So, what IS wrong with the demo, before I spend ages DLing it? If its better/worse than the actual release, then why?

-Jam
It could just be me, but I had a lot of trouble gettinginto the demo as it was slow going. I played all the previous Warlords games and tons of maps, so I just stopped the demo and got the game. I am having lots of fun runing up my retinue to get good abilities.
The demo was quite large, I got it of PC GAMER or CGW, some mag anyway.
Old November 2, 2003, 19:41   #33
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 11:28
I'll have to see if I can get any american mags then here... although its probably cheaper to buy the game itself

My connection is really flaky at the moment, and cuts off at odd intervals. I can't trust it to DL any big files without bluescreening me.

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old November 2, 2003, 23:56   #34
vmxa1
Deity

Do you have any mags that provide CD with demos? If so I guess they may be a bit slower to get stuff from here.
Old November 3, 2003, 04:17   #35
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Yeah, but I don't like to wait 3-4 months for the translated version.... if they even MAKE a translated demo Or I can get the American ones in Stuttgart, but at a HUGE mark-up ( = $17-20 for a mag)

-Jam
Old November 3, 2003, 06:31   #36
Asmodean
Civilization III Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 13:28
Hmmm...didn't realize that you live so far south, Jamski. I always think of Denmark and Germany as very close (geographically) but Stuttgart is a long way from Denmark.

You have nice weather, don't you. Warmer than most parts of Germany.

Back on topic: The demo has been heavily critiziced almost everywhere I have seen. If you liked the previous titles in the Warlords series, then you will have no problems liking this one.

If heavily in doubt, you could always download the game from a warez site to see if it is anything before deciding to shell out the money (that is if you have no qualms about doing such a thing). I sometimes do that, when I'm not sure about a game.

Asmodean
Old November 3, 2003, 08:08   #37
Jamski
Deity

Quote:
You have nice weather, don't you. Warmer than most parts of Germany.
In the summer, yes, but the winter is really starting to bite here in the "Ostalb" area. :shiver:

I think I'll put it on my Xmas list, I can't think of any other games I want to get right now, and if its no good, then at least I didn't spend the money myself.

-Jam
Old November 3, 2003, 13:11   #38
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 12:28
Quote:
Originally posted by Asmodean
If heavily in doubt, you could always download the game from a warez site to see if it is anything before deciding to shell out the money (that is if you have no qualms about doing such a thing). I sometimes do that, when I'm not sure about a game.

Asmodean
*gasp*

That's a shocking suggestion. Shocking.

Mine is at 250MB though.
Old November 3, 2003, 13:31   #39
Asmodean
Emperor

Quote:

*gasp*

That's a shocking suggestion. Shocking.

Mine is at 250MB though.

Asmodean
Old November 6, 2003, 07:39   #40
Grumbold
Emperor

Warlords 1 was the motivating reason for buying my first PC (286) and retiring the Atari St
Old November 6, 2003, 08:12   #41
Grumbold
Emperor

Having now skimmed the main website and the reviews, I think I'm going to stay well clear for the time being. The bugs mentioned in the IGN review are not listed as fixed in the 1.01 patch and I certainly dont want to play before they are cleared up.
Old November 6, 2003, 14:10   #42
vmxa1
Deity

I have played about 8 or 9 scenarios from the campaign and had no problems. I downloaded the patch, but do not intend to apply it for now.
Old November 6, 2003, 15:02   #43
DrSpike
Deity

Can the people who have played it provide some feedback?
Old November 6, 2003, 16:33   #44
Asmodean
Emperor

I have it now, and am playing it.

In my opinion it is great. Graphics are neat, allthough lifted from Warlords Battle Cry 2. Gameplay is slightly different from the previous titles in this series. The focus is still battle oriented TBS, but some RPG elements have been thrown in, which in my mind enhances the experience.

The bugs that they speak about....well I haven't encountered them, but that is not to say that they aren't there

If somebody mentions a movement bug, don't believe him. The "movement bug" is actually a design decision. Basically, if you merge two stacks, the stack with more movement points left, are reduced to the number of points of the lesser stack. But it is not a bug.

Okay...that was my opinion. But you probably don't want to take my word for it, since I like this series so much, that they could have released a piece of cardboard, called it Warlords IV, and told me to cut the units out myself, before glueing them to my monitor. I still would have loved it.

Asmodean
Old November 6, 2003, 16:49   #45
vmxa1
Deity

Well what are you looking for? If you are familiar with DLR or RoE (Warlords III) you have a good idea of the game. You have a Warlord (you) that is non playing and passes its traits on to the game map. Things like Morale or Unit combat bonus or Life. You select a Major and a minor trait to start the campaign (I have not played any stand alone maps). Each time you complete a scenario in the campaign, you get one or two more picks to spend.

The map start with a new playing hero in a castle with a starting army. What it is depends on the race/class you are playing, I am doing Knights. Once you conquer certain races capitol you can use their race in the next map or stick with Knights.

Anyway you can have up to 8 in an army and they can be heroes or units. All gain experience and get promotions. At that point you can add to their abilities (more points or new ones). The abiliies are unit specific (terror, fear, death gaze, combat, speed, etc).

Battles are not on screen where you select one unit to start the battle, it fights till death or victory. If it beats a unit any left will take the defeated ones place. You can cast spells to aid the battle, if you have mana and knowledge of a combat spell.
I like Heb as it heals up to +5. This can keep your units alive from combat to combatant. Heores use any ability they have automatically. This mean if they have bless or heal, it will have its chance to be invoked.
If your party has a Morale bonus greater than the opponents you have a chance at an extra strike.

Any tower will attack each round that has a new combatant. Any ranged attacker may get in a shot as well.
This means attacking a castle that has 5 or 6 archers or cats will be hard as they may all shot youbefore you get a turn.
I have a piece of armor that provides warding, so it is no sweat now.

So it is mostly going around and capturing castle or razing them.
You only get one quest in each map now and it can be gotten only by a city with a shrine.

It is not a complex game and some may find it too repetitive, me I like the RPG aspects of pumping up my heroes.
You are allowed to carry 3 heroes to the next map, just like Warlords III. They will not be available at the start, but will come along in 8-12 days.

Hope that is what you wanted to hear.
Old November 6, 2003, 19:06   #46
vmxa1
Deity

Your are correct about the movement, that is how it works and that is quite common. A stack can not mover farther that the unit with the least moves left. Heroes would not let your stack move farther than the unit with the least moves and was that way as far back as I can remember.
Old November 7, 2003, 04:13   #47
Asmodean
Emperor

Yeah, but what people have been complaining about is that if you add a unit with more movement points to a stack with less movement points, then the unit with more movement point left that turn would get it's number of MP's reduced.

And you can not get these MP's back by removing that unit from the stack again. The MP's are lost for that turn.

Asmodean
Old November 7, 2003, 06:10   #48
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 19:28
Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
You only get one quest in each map now and it can be gotten only by a city with a shrine.
Really? That's a bummer.
Old November 7, 2003, 12:30   #49
Grumbold
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Asmodean
Yeah, but what people have been complaining about is that if you add a unit with more movement points to a stack with less movement points, then the unit with more movement point left that turn would get it's number of MP's reduced.

And you can not get these MP's back by removing that unit from the stack again. The MP's are lost for that turn.

Asmodean
And the IGN review refers to moving over another stack or even attempting to reach another stack and not getting there still affecting the MP's of the units in that other stack. Now that smells buggy to me.

Warlords 1-3 would not allow a stack to move further than the MP of the slowest unit but it did not require you to move units in any particular order to preserve all the movement that they could achieve during the turn. Since nobody can jump you during your turn its not important who joined what stack when if all you do is move only that no unit exceeds its movement allowance by the end of your turn. The only in-turn time it could be important is if combat takes place. At that point it would indeed be fair to pro-rate all movement to the amount expended by the unit that has the least percentage of its move remaining.
Old November 7, 2003, 13:33   #50
vmxa1
Deity

Yes I discovered the hard way that if I have stack on the field with no movement left and move a unit to that stack it lost all remaining movement.
I don't know if they intend that or not, so I can't say it is a bug. It could just be lazyiness.
If you move to a point beyond the stack, it will jump that stack and retain it is movement ( near as I can tell).

Anyway I am having fun with it. I have several new games at teh same time as well as trying to get in my usual Moo1/2 games, so I am not blowing through it non stop.
Old November 9, 2003, 17:02   #51
Ljube
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Quote:
Do you like the Heroes series? What about AOW2?
Heroes 2 is the best MP game I have ever played.
I love all heroes from heroes 1 I played hot seat with a couple of friends to heroes 4.

---------------------------------

Never played Warlords series though. What are they like compared to Heroes? I hear Warlords 4 take place in Erathia.
Old November 9, 2003, 18:26   #52
vmxa1
Deity

Not quite, Erathia was for the Ironfist of Heroes or Might and Magic. Warlords is in Etheria.
Old November 9, 2003, 19:51   #53
DrSpike
Deity

Wow. Why are they so similar?
Old November 9, 2003, 21:15   #54
vmxa1
Deity

I don't know, but Warlords was first, could be they like that game.
I played Heroes first, so it caught my attention.
There is a huge back story to Erathia with lots of characters and they used the same lands in both Might and Magic VII and Heroes III. It was fun to see the monsters I already knew from HommIII.