Old October 29, 2003, 15:02   #1
Varwnos
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 14:30
Local Date: November 2, 2010
New scenario: Greek war of independence 1821-1832
Hello, this is a thread about my scenario "Greek war of independence: ressurection of a nation". I have been working on it for some time and i estimate that it will be ready for release in December. Here is a screen cap so that you can see what it looks like

features:

-new city graphics (made by me, but edited by other ones)

-new units made by me

-7 nations: southern greeks, ottoman empire, vilaeti of Ioannena, macedonian greeks, island greeks, egyptians, and epirotan greeks

-Big and very nice map of Greece

-many new terrain, including Greek monument and Villages

-many extras, like Walls and different types of castles

i am looking forward to your replies, do note that the colours in the pic are a bit messed up since i had to save it as a bitmap with only 265 colours, to minimise it

Attached Files:
File Type: zip eikona.zip (65.3 KB, 53 views)
Old October 30, 2003, 05:16   #2
Varwnos
Prince

I would welcome any reply
This is a scenario made only for one reason: out of love, and the will to give something back to the civ2 community

In the past i can remember times when i had problems but could always relax while playing some great civ2 scenarios, like DAROAE. With my own scenario i am hoping that i can do just that for others, although ofcourse the best thing by far is that one doesnt have any problems at all, and only plays civ2 for pure fun! But this is my own way of completing a circle in my life, i am 24 now, a graduate of philosophy, and thankfully happy and optimistic
Old October 30, 2003, 06:01   #3
gerryandersson
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:30
Good to see you found your way from civfanatics.
I will post my future comments and recomendations here, I kinda like this forum bether (not that there is any thing wrong with civfanatics forum)
Old October 30, 2003, 08:16   #4
Varwnos
Prince

:)
thank you for supporting me everywhere Gerry

i am open to any suggestions, btw you didnt say how you found the mini map, although i have to say that the map is really great!

you can also see the new greek unit (top) and the edited version of the greek leader unit
Old October 30, 2003, 10:02   #5
gerryandersson
Chieftain

The mini-map is in the screen shot
Old October 30, 2003, 10:08   #6
Varwnos
Prince

heh
i meant what you thought of it! (but anyway you replied in the civfanatics forum)

However up to now it doesnt seem that many are willing to comment on my scenario. I was hoping to recieve more feedback, but anyway its still early days

-progress report: i had a look at the industrial unit collection here and i picked 3-4 units from here and there for my scenario I even found something to represent lord Byron, although it wasnt originally made for that purpose
Old October 30, 2003, 13:02   #7
Arthedain
staff

Which civ/civs are playable?
I thought all of Greece were going to be one civ but obviously I don't know much about this war
Old October 30, 2003, 13:48   #8
Stefan Härtel
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 12:30
Cool, Greek windows
Seriously, this sounds and looks promising. If you need any help, you can ask me.
Old October 30, 2003, 14:46   #9
Shaka Naldur
Civilization II PBEMSpanish CiversCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
Emperor

I like the screenshot but with nothing more you won't have a lot of feedback

go for it and finish it
Old October 30, 2003, 14:48   #10
Varwnos
Prince

I could make all of the greeks just one civ, but then there would only be 3 civs in the game, which would be a bit boring

Also historically the leadership was rather loose, and moreover the revolutionw as crushed in macedonia and in northern epiros (epiros= north-western part of Greece), so they can be seen as somewhat individual revolutionary movements. There was also a revolution in Crete, but that also failed ultimately.

I plan to make all civs playable, but the fun ones really are only:

1) southern greeks (protagonist)

2) island greeks (control the bulk of the naval units, but arent near any easy conquest)

3) vilaeti of Ioannena (a "vilaeti" was a governing sector in the ottoman empire, and the vilaeti of Ioannena -in epiros, Ioannena is the main city- was one of the strongest. It rebelled at the time of the greek revoltuion, but was crushed in 1822)

Probably the epirotan greeks will also be somewhat fun, but the macedonian greeks are doomed to be crushed (too near Thessaloniki and the bulk of the ottoman army) whereas the egyptians are only there because an egyptian army was called in by the ottomans to help, and the ottoman empire itself possibly wont be really fun to play, since it serves mostly as a means of preventing the other "nations" from running into each other easily.

Ofcourse i understand perfectly that if one is a turk he will want to play as the ottoman anyway, so i will try my best to make them playable, since scenario's are meant to be the most fun they can be (also i have very bad memories of desperately trying to save the byzantine empire and failing in the "fading lights" scenario, heh)

note to Hartel: sorry if i am wrong, are you the one who made DAROE? or are you the one who made the darius&xerxes etc scenarios? (or both?!)

as for help:

yes, i can always try to make everything myself (not true, i already picked up some units from these forums ) but i certainly welcome any help, i particularly am looking for ottoman units of the period, and also some albanian unit. Also any suggestions of a cool cannon unit is also very welcome (i am not sure how many cannons the greeks had, i only know that some cannons also arrived with Lord Byron, and will have them as seperate units, so an english cannon of the period is also needed)

i am looking forward to reading your replies, and thanks for the support!!!
Old October 30, 2003, 18:06   #11
Heresson
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStates
Emperor

Daroe was made by Mathias Koester.
And Fading Lights was made by me, he he he.
I'm happy to see a new scenario creator, especially a Greek one, and especially one that makes scenarios about Greece.
I'm looking forward to seeing your work. Once I even considered - not alone - building a scenario about that.
Old October 30, 2003, 18:28   #12
fairline
King

Local Time: 11:30
Varwnos: both Palaiologos and Tanelorn had part-finished (?) Greek War of Independence scenarios; you may want to touch base with them for ideas.

I drew an Ottoman Janissary which I no longer have on my HD - if you search the graphics threads you can find it.

Good luck with the scenario!
Old October 30, 2003, 18:57   #13
Heresson
Emperor

The map looks so nice, but graphics need improving
Old October 31, 2003, 06:12   #14
Varwnos
Prince

thanks for the support everyone :)
And yes, i agree that most of the graphics i made need to be improved. Especially the city walls. As things stand now the only really finished graphics are:

-cities

-villages

-terrain in general

and some of the greek units, but not even all that can be seen in that pic!

To fairline: yes, i already picked your janissary unit and it is almost certain that i will use just that, since it looks very nice

To Heresson: I really had a nightmarish time trying to save the empire in your scenario!!! and moreover i failed.. hm, on the other hand i also plan to use similar event tactics to multiply the greek army, which is why the unit "rebel village" is there, so each time one is attacked the southern greeks get some units. Historically this happened ofcourse, and also the fighters left from the failed revolution in macedonia also went down to the Pelloponese to continue the war there.
But one has to strike a balance between being historical and making the scenario fun (historically the entire pelloponese apart from the city of Tripolis was in the hands of the greek army only a few weeks after the start of the war, then Athens was liberated, and then for the next 4 years it was a stalemate, until the battle of Navarino where the fleets of Britain, France and Russia completely destroyed the Ottoman fleet, effectively ending the war. Ofcourse they didnt do it out of kindness, but because the greek shiplords had turned their fleet into pirate ships, and were hurting the business of the great powers in the meditterenian)

ps: if you have any "wall" unit to propose i will gladly have a look, since i am not sure that i can really improve my own wall very much
Old October 31, 2003, 10:17   #15
Varwnos
Prince

progress report :)
Been working on some of the units, and picked some new ones from here and there, check the zip file and tell me what you think of them
Attached Files:
File Type: zip varwnos_units2.zip (11.5 KB, 23 views)
Old October 31, 2003, 13:48   #16
Stefan Härtel
King

I'm the guy who made the Persian scenarios (Darius, Artaxerxes)
Old October 31, 2003, 14:46   #17
Varwnos
Prince

Congratulations :)
Do you have anything new in the works?

I feel very inexperienced in civ2 in the presence of you guys heh

this is my first attempt to make a scenario.. but i am putting a lot of love into it

by the way i checked the units picked (made?) by Palaiologos for his greek scenario, and i have to say that they are pretty impressive. Unfortunately they are too dark & gloomy for my scenario. I like my units to look more childish and fun (also i cant really make them any better than they are)

ps: the wall unit is becomming a major problem... has anyone seen any rellevant unit anywhere else so i can pick it up?

ps2: do make a comment on the units, especially on which of the two types of cloth you prefer? i think that i like the one with the pale blue undercloth better than the plain white shirt

Last edited by Varwnos; October 31, 2003 at 19:37.
Old October 31, 2003, 19:47   #18
Stefan Härtel
King

Well, the first unit is a bit out of proportion; the head is too small compared with the rest of the body, which should be slimmer.
But in general, they look fine, although I'd do a bit more shading on them (you can keep them bright, but still, shading would make it more realistic). It really isn't hard.

For the walls, I think I've seen some good ones. I'd post them immediately, though I've lost most of my Civ2 files in a hard disk crash.

Quote:
Do you have anything new in the works?
Yes, I posted a thread on my current project, I think it's still on the first forum page.
Old October 31, 2003, 21:11   #19
Varwnos
Prince

Edited the greek leader unit :)
I think that this is the definitive version, i really want you to say if you like it or not though!

ps: thank you for your comments stefan the first unit isnt really fat, this costume is a bit pumped up in the arms
Attached Files:
File Type: zip varwnos_unit.zip (6.3 KB, 16 views)
Old November 1, 2003, 07:48   #20
Stefan Härtel
King

It looks quite good. I would only make his legs a little longer; the way they are right now, you can barely see them (as you stated) and it also looks way out of proportion.
Old November 1, 2003, 07:54   #21
Palaiologos
Civilization II PBEM
King

Re: Congratulations :)
Quote:
Originally posted by varwnos
by the way i checked the units picked (made?) by Palaiologos for his greek scenario, and i have to say that they are pretty impressive. Unfortunately they are too dark & gloomy for my scenario. I like my units to look more childish and fun (also i cant really make them any better than they are)

Indeed!Many are actually mine!

All of the greek units that is.

An theleis voitheia i otidipote aplos pesto varwne.
Old November 1, 2003, 09:47   #22
Varwnos
Prince

To Stefan: thank you, yes i might make the legs a bit longer, but i cant do anything about the horse, it is common though to have horses look like ponies in many units, since the only other way is to have the mounted units be a lot smaller in scale than the infantry ones, and i dont really like that

ps: still working on the walls, without success..

To Palaiologos: Tha mporouses na megen8yneis ligo to unit "bourlotierhs"? aplws etsi opws einai de fainetai sxedon tipote an den kaneis zoum

translation: "hi" (heh, not really)
Old November 1, 2003, 11:23   #23
Varwnos
Prince

The walls have been built!!! :)
check the zip, i used the castle unit and altered it a bit to create walls of similar texture, i think that they look cool

now i have to pick the "wooden walls" (the ships) any suggestion is welcome

(also in the pick you get to have a look at the Pelloponese)
Attached Files:
File Type: zip new walls.zip (50.2 KB, 10 views)
Old November 1, 2003, 11:45   #24
gerryandersson
Chieftain

I think the walls look nice.
Old November 1, 2003, 12:25   #25
Palaiologos
Civilization II PBEM
King

A ,varone distixos auto den mporo na to kano.
Vlepeis prin duo mines svisitke olos o HD kai exasa ola ta painting programmata(PSP ktl).

Mono to MS-paint me emeine.
Old November 1, 2003, 16:32   #26
Heresson
Emperor

Write in Polish! :doitnow:
Old November 1, 2003, 17:19   #27
Varwnos
Prince

Due to some mistake i double posted the same post, then i tried to delete this one, but failed, so insteadof just keeping it like this i decided to use the space to post something obscurely usefull

the following:

-is it a good idea to have different firepower parametres for units? i mean isnt it easier to just have the same firepower for all, and just alter the defence/attack parameters?

also: yet another request: (the next post is full of them ) terrain: dock (1821 dock)

have a nice Sunday everyone!

btw maybe you can tell that already, but: i am in love (not with civ2! hm, well, with civ2 too, but with a girl as well)

Last edited by Varwnos; November 1, 2003 at 17:33.
Old November 1, 2003, 17:21   #28
Varwnos
Prince

ok, but there is something Jagelonian in the greek we use here, the latin characters

How did you like the walls?

ps: you arent very willing to contribute anything in the scenario up to now apart from fairline who suggested his unit (and i already have picked it up) but i certainly will need help if this is going to be the best it can be

I am just a newbie scenario maker, left entirely to myself it takes me a week to create a new wall unit At this rate i wont make the December release date very easily, i wish that someone would volunteer to do the scripting (events) for me (i understand that it is the most boring job) or offer some ship units, or an albanian unit, or a "turkish noble" unit, or some cool cannon unit

Certainly i am not the person who will take credit for the scenario alone, i will be more than happy to mention your name before mine i am in it just for giving joy to fellow civ2 enthousiasts Ofcourse i realise very well that if i am like that then certainly you are like that too, otherwise you wouldnt had produced such great scenarios, since only the will to offer something, and love, makes what you do good

Hm, another thing is that i am totally (TOTALLY) clueless about creating tech trees, so if i am left on my own there then i will certainly just have the same tech tree for all, which would mean that tech wont be an issue in the game. I am not sure if i am allowed to just copy the DAROE tech tree and alter it? (if i state in the text that i did just that ofcourse)

Looking forward to your suggestions/comments, and thank you for the amazing support! Especially my favourite civ2 person Gerryandersson, who was the first to encourage me to go on with this (also the civ2 titans around, if they would only move one of their 100 hands to give me a unit or two)
Old November 1, 2003, 18:42   #29
Heresson
Emperor

Funny. I used to call Stefan one of the civ2 titans too.
When it comes to your units, I have the same request when it comes to them, as when it comes to any others made by someone unexperienced; more shadowing. Just decide where is the sun and make the colours more or less dense in proper places; also, make some colour difference between
faces and mmm necks, and make some visible border between those Greek ballet-like stuff and their legs. (I miss a word)
Old November 1, 2003, 20:52   #30
Varwnos
Prince

Ballet-like stuff? surely you dont mean the luxurius traditional expensive fiber costume that the highly cultured mountain bandits used to wear while taking breaks from performing Oedipus Rex in the mountains? (they are called "Fustaneles")

As for the units, i like them to look white and bright, this doesnt necessarily have much to do with my complete iability to make them look better

Last edited by Varwnos; November 1, 2003 at 20:57.