Old October 27, 2000, 11:38   #1
Hendrik the Great
Prince

Local Time: 07:06
Local Date: October 31, 2010
July 20th, 1944
I have been thinking about this for about a year now and I have also done considerable reading on it. I have chronologies, quotes, Stauffenberg's ideas and followers and more than enough background knowledge.

Would anyone be interested in a scenario about the attempted coup d'etat that took place in Germany on the 20th July 1944? In which the player would take the role of one of the revolutionaries and try to liberate Germany before the Allies would? Please don't get me wrong. I do not want to make a nationalistic scenario.
It's just that it is a very interesting period of history and no one seems to have done something similiar, yet. I know of one scenario but in that one could not play the Germans yet that would be the entire point of such a scenario.

The question that I always come back to is how to realise it. I'm not so much concerned about grafics or so but how to implement the attempt of only a handfull of divisions, 3 perhaps 5 in the beginning, to win controll over the entire Germany.
Or should I just concentrate on the capital Berlin instead?

I really need some opinions on this.

------------------
Mathias' Civ II Page
http://members.nbci.com/thalys
Old October 27, 2000, 11:44   #2
Prometeus
Spanish Civers
King

A Rastenburg scenario ? Cool...
Old October 27, 2000, 11:55   #3
BeBro
Emperor

Local Time: 08:06
Good idea. Does it mean that your Viking scn is close to the release?

------------------
Civ2000
Old October 28, 2000, 00:33   #4
Hendrik the Great
Prince

Prom: Yes, Rastenburg quite so.

Bernd: My Vikings still need some work. Especially playtesting once the tech tree works as intended. Still got some problems to solve. Not before mid-november.

Should I make the Stauffenberg and the GröFaZ individual units? Would be good I think because this would allow Assasination of certain individuals.
Besides, if Stauffenberg dies the revolution would die with him. He was the driving force that pushed ahead.

So, liberate Germany or take controll of Berlin?

This will not slow down work on the Vikings. I am just beginning to gather more ideas.

------------------
Mathias' Civ II Page
Old October 28, 2000, 06:20   #5
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 08:06
Both!

I'd pefer Berlin, myself. I'd like city-based scenario.
Old October 28, 2000, 10:41   #6
Hendrik the Great
Prince

Both?!? I'd never get finished...

Berlin? That would require some re-thinking.
Anyone else?

------------------
Mathias' Civ II Page
Old October 31, 2000, 05:12   #7
KhanMan
Prince

Local Time: 06:06
One way to do a takeover-Germany scenario would be to try a Spartacus-like series of objectives. This could simulate the "hidden" side of this kind of effort: co-conspirators, spies, bribery, etc.

I'd love to see either, but all-Germany would be my pick of the two.

-KhanMan
Old October 31, 2000, 12:51   #8
Hendrik the Great
Prince

I do like the to do all-of-Germany more myself. Using a system similiar to Spartacus sounds very good and mix it with some of my own ideas. Freeing co-conspirators, liberating the KZs, taking over the capital, etc...

One objective might be to take Peenemünde and the secret factories for the V2 missiles and then use them for slightly different purposes.

The only thing that's missing now is a good and accurate map of Central Europe with all of the 3rd Reich on it...

------------------
Mathias' Civ II Page
Old October 31, 2000, 16:06   #9
Jim Winchell
Chieftain

Local Time: 06:06
How about a Weimar Germany scenario? The player could choose to be the Weimar government, communists or fascists, each would control various cities in pre-WII Germany. The goal would be to "unite" Germany under your rule and build up a massive army before 1939. As the Weimar government, you would control the most cities and be able to build army units, but would have happiness and money problems. The communists and fascists would get storm trooper units and party member units (spys) with which to bribe units and cities. The French, Czechs, and Poles would also be civs. Events could simulate the depression, French occupation of the Rheinland, border skirmishes with the Poles, Saar plebicite, riots and the collapse of the government, Munich crisis, etc. all the way to the invasion of Poland.
Old October 31, 2000, 18:08   #10
Hendrik the Great
Prince

It might make for a nice scenario, however, I dismissed the idea of a Weimar Scenario a long time ago. I decided it was too complicated historically. There was so much going on, the situation was so confusing and if at all one could it only make playable for one side. I would chose the Weimar government. Besides, all that kept them in power was the fact that they had the bigger and better guns.

If I take on a fourth scenario I will either do the takeover of the 3rd Reich or something else. Perhaps another Viking scenario or a sci-fi theme.

------------------
Mathias' Civ II Page