Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 04:33
Local Date: November 2, 2010
whores are great. just keep your head covered. both heads
Old November 3, 2003, 02:42   #62
Straybow
Civilization II Succession GamesSpanish CiversPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Happiness is a warm gun!
Old November 3, 2003, 04:39   #63
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

which gun?
Old November 6, 2003, 00:03   #64
Oerdin
Deity

Ok, they've given me the final virdict so it looks like I will be going to northern Iraq. The way the military has drawn the control lines about 1/3 of the Sunni triangle (where all the fighting has been occuring) as well as all of the Kurdish areas. I've gone out and bought several books about Iraq's history as well as an English-Arabic phrase book and a few books upon Islamic fundimentalism and general Arabian culture.

It looks like I'll be shipping out for Fort Carson, Colorado this Sunday where I'll be doing predeployment training then I'll get to come home for Thanksgiving after which they're sending me to Fort Hunter-Liggett, California for three weeks. I'll get leave to see my family over Christmas and New Year's then we'll all be shipped out to Iraq on the 6th. Hopefully, we'll be flying through England or Germany and if I'm lucky we'll get a day or two off in Europe.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old November 6, 2003, 00:12   #65
Space05us
King

Local Time: 23:33
Good Luck Oerdin, keep your helmet on and your head low, 'cause you're going to have to come back and give us stories!
Old November 6, 2003, 00:30   #66
Tuberski

Local Time: 06:33
Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
Ok, they've given me the final virdict so it looks like I will be going to northern Iraq. The way the military has drawn the control lines about 1/3 of the Sunni triangle (where all the fighting has been occuring) as well as all of the Kurdish areas. I've gone out and bought several books about Iraq's history as well as an English-Arabic phrase book and a few books upon Islamic fundimentalism and general Arabian culture.

It looks like I'll be shipping out for Fort Carson, Colorado this Sunday where I'll be doing predeployment training then I'll get to come home for Thanksgiving after which they're sending me to Fort Hunter-Liggett, California for three weeks. I'll get leave to see my family over Christmas and New Year's then we'll all be shipped out to Iraq on the 6th. Hopefully, we'll be flying through England or Germany and if I'm lucky we'll get a day or two off in Europe.
You're troop movements aren't classified??????

Good luck and stay safe.

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old November 6, 2003, 00:39   #67
Oerdin
Deity

I'm going to be buying a new Dell Lap Top computer from Kaak soon. I believe I will be able to get a satellite internet connection on one of the military bases in Iraq so I should be able to provide regular updates. I won't know for sure until I land in Iraq though.

I spent the last few days driving around my home state of California. I guess I'm trying to take everything in one last time so I'll have a clear enough memory of the place to last me a year and a half. I kind of feel like someone who's going to prison and who's spending his last moments of freedom trying to do everything he wanted to do for the next few years. Still, I had fun.

Friday I drove from San Diego to Sacramento and then Sunday evening I drove out to Napa. I spent all day Monday touring the valley and tasting various wineries I hadn't visited in three or four years. There is just something so peaceful and bucolic about California's wine country. It's as if the rolling hills, the oak trees, the numerous streams, the wild deer & turkeys, the artesian cheese maker's shops, and the endless vineyards all merge together to make a perfect whole. Well, it wasn’t that perfect for my wallet because I ended up spending around $500 on bottles of wine, cuts of fine cheeses, and aged meats but I think it was worth it. On the upside I’ll be able to lay down the reds I bought for at least a year and a half until I get back to the US.

I spent Tuesday walking around the entire city of San Francisco. I’d been there numerous times before but I felt like I'd see more of the real city if I experienced it on foot. A Dim Sum breakfast in Chinatown, lunch in Little Italy (I'm still trying to figure out what type of pasta I eat; it was great), an oyster dinner down by the pier, and in between I got to hit up all the major tourist haunts as well as Golden Gate Park and I saw the Degas exhibition they had showing at one of the museums. I guess it wasn’t entirely on foot because I squeezed in a ride on one of the city’s famous cable cars near the end. All in all not a bad day.

I spent last night and the first half of today visiting with an old college friend in Santa Barbara. We made one last round at the old college drinking hangouts and went flying for about an hour off the coast. I hadn't kept current on my pilot's license so it felt good to be back in control of an airplane again. Now, I’m going through all of my military gear and trying to make sure I have everything on the packing list. I forgot how hard it is to pack tightly so that it will all fit into just two duffle bags.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old November 6, 2003, 00:44   #68
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Tuberski
You're troop movements aren't classified??????

Good luck and stay safe.

ACK!
Technically I'm sure they are but I really don't care. The Army has classified everything and as a practical result people feel as if nothing is classified if you get my meaning. Maybe if they used it a bit more sparingly and upon fewer irrelevant things then people would feel differently. As it is I intend to keep a blog of my experiences in Iraq and I am certain the powers that be would be frothing at the mouth to know that someone would dare try to *gasp* give an honest and unfiltered soldier’s view from the ground.

Was that a shameless enough plug for my upcoming blog?
Old November 6, 2003, 00:55   #69
Tuberski

Local Time: 06:33
Well, you aren't saying "We're taking United Airlines flight 974 to New York, then British Airways flight 554 to London."

So I guess it's okay.

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old November 6, 2003, 00:55   #70
KrazyHorse
Deity

Local Time: 07:33
If you write it, I'll read it. Good luck. Don't get hurt.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old November 6, 2003, 01:17   #71
Space05us
King

Local Time: 23:33
just remember Oerdin, even if you're not christian they'll never take a bible from your arms. its been proven dozens of times throughout history. So if you need too, keep entries in the margin.
Old November 6, 2003, 01:25   #72
Ned
King

Local Time: 03:33
Good luck again, Oerdin.

On the news just now, I heard that Rumsfeld signed an order to call up 30,000 more reservists and that the Marines would replace the 101st in Northern Iraq. The Army callup is said to be light infrantry that may be more skilled in "police" duty rather than in "tank" warfare.

The order also said that the new plans will result in a reduction in US troop strength in Iraq by 20,000 by next May.
Old November 6, 2003, 01:30   #73
Oerdin
Deity

The extra 30k is to cover the 30k the Turks were going to send to Iraq but whom our hand picked "puppet" government refused to let in to Iraq. I guess the Iraqi Provisional Council isn't as big of an American running dog lackey as some people around here have been claiming.
Old November 6, 2003, 02:40   #74
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

At least not when it comes to love of the Turks. Good luck and hooah!
Old November 7, 2003, 07:35   #75
Chemical Ollie
King

Local Time: 13:33
Northern Iraq? It must really suck to be sent there. Do they serve pork at the cantina? Well Kurdistan might be OK, even friendly, but just a bit south is a cluster****.

A Swedish journalist recently spent a week with an American infantry company and said they could trust no one when patrolling. The company had suffered 10% casualties in dead and wounded so far during their deployment. According to an estimate MtG posted in another thread, that figure is about the average for troops of the line in Iraq. Don't come home as a bitter cripple to become a member of another lost generation.
Old November 7, 2003, 17:22   #76
Chemical Ollie
King

Make sure to get one of these body armours and make sure to wear it whenever you are outdoors. The mouseclick generals of 'Poly all want you to come back and tell the true insider story, you know.

http://www.defenselink.mil/news/Oct2...200310313.html

They claim it can stop a 7.62 bullet (will probably hurt in any case... badly). I've never heard of a body armour capable of that, but you learn something new every day.

What's the type and name of your unit anyway? Or perhaps you can't tell us for security reasons?
Old November 7, 2003, 17:46   #77
Theben
Deity

Since you will have a laptop, make sure to give all Iraqis you meet a copy of civ2 and the url to Apolyton. That way they'll be too busy playing civ and flaming the OT to shoot at soldiers. As a bonus they'll likely issue fatwa concerning the fate of MtG and Ming once the banning starts.
I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned
Old November 7, 2003, 17:52   #78
Theben
Deity

Quote:
Army Col. John Norwood, PEO Soldier's project manager for soldier equipment, said all soldiers in Iraq will have body armor by December.

"The feedback we've received from individual soldiers is that body armor is very effective, and it's a very highly valued item over there," he said. "The senior leadership of the Army has made a decision that for Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom, all soldiers, civilians and contractors will have body armor available to them. The specific mission requirements are tailored by the unit commander."
I've been wondering for years why body armor hasn't been part of a soldier's standard equipment. You'd think that this would save lives more than anything.
I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned
Old November 7, 2003, 18:06   #79
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Because the **** is hot, bulky, uncomfortable, and if your arms or legs or head are blown off, it won't do you a ****ing bit of good.

On top of that, because it raises your prone profile and limits mobility in the prone position, getting into and operating from low concealment and cover is more difficult, as is moving under low obstacles.

So now you know.
Old November 7, 2003, 18:35   #80
Chemical Ollie
King

Quote:
Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
Because the **** is hot, bulky, uncomfortable, and if your arms or legs or head are blown off, it won't do you a ****ing bit of good.

On top of that, because it raises your prone profile and limits mobility in the prone position, getting into and operating from low concealment and cover is more difficult, as is moving under low obstacles.

So now you know.
Why doesn't the DoD propaganda say that? 16.4 pounds, that's about 10 kg, right? Still quite heavy, but a significant improvement over previous models.

I bet those who were saved by it did not regret having it on.
Old November 7, 2003, 19:01   #81
Theben
Deity

Quote:

So now you know.
Isn't that just the old kevlar vests? I thought we had newer materials available at low costs years ago.

And it may raise your prone profile, but I'd rather be shot in the armored back than shot w/o armor.

Do we have any specs re: casualties caused by shrapnel/bullets vs. others (mines, large concussive force)?
Old November 7, 2003, 23:49   #82
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 11:33
good luck.
Old November 8, 2003, 00:05   #83
Lonestar
inmate
King

Oerdin

I can only wish you luck on your next great adventure. It sounds like you're doing all the smart things, things that can only help your job as a Civil Affairs-type. Maybe you can straighten a few things out while you're there.

I would like to remind you of something Union Major General Joshua Lawerance Chamberlain once said; "War brings out the best in good men and the worst in bad ones". I'm sure that when the sh*t hits the fan, your best will shine through and it'll be enough to get you home so you can tell us about it.

Oh yeah, and in the unlikely event you snag Saddam Hussein and that $ 25 million or so reward, remember who showed up to the SD Apolymeet!
Old November 8, 2003, 00:15   #84
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Chemical Ollie
What's the type and name of your unit anyway? Or perhaps you can't tell us for security reasons?
The US Army is issuing everyone Ranger Body Armor (RBA for short) which is a double thick flak vest reinforced with large ceramic plates in both the front and back. Supposedly the plates will stop a 7.62mm round but the flak vest part is no good for small arms fire. It will only stop the odd grenade fragment.

I'm in the 304th Psyop Co which is a part of the 7th Psychological Operations Group. Technically it is a Special Operations Force (SOF) so we do get slightly better equipment and a bit more freedom then the average GI.
Old November 8, 2003, 00:18   #85
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Theben
I've been wondering for years why body armor hasn't been part of a soldier's standard equipment. You'd think that this would save lives more than anything.
RBA has been standard issue to all US soldiers since the at least the Panama invasion. Everyone in Bosnia & Kosovo got RBA and I'm sure everyone in Iraq has RBA. It does have all of the downsides that MtG spoke about and it weights in about about 35lbs to boot. As an added detraction it is also bulky and uncomfortable as hell.

Still, it will be a standing order to wear it and I'm not likely to take it off unless I'm on base.
Old November 8, 2003, 00:26   #86
Darsnan
supporter
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 GaiansApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansPolyCast TeamSpore
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
Ok, they've given me the final virdict so it looks like I will be going to northern Iraq. It looks like I'll be shipping out for Fort Carson, Colorado this Sunday where I'll be doing predeployment training then I'll get to come home for Thanksgiving after which they're sending me to Fort Hunter-Liggett, California for three weeks.
Northern Iraq: hope you do well there. As far as Hunter-Liggett is concerned, why I spent 3 months there testing the now defunct Sgt. York Air Defense system. Towards the end of those 3 months why cows were looking mighty good, as women were few and far between out there!

D
Old November 8, 2003, 03:31   #87
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by Theben

Isn't that just the old kevlar vests? I thought we had newer materials available at low costs years ago.
Nope, current issue RBA.

Quote:
And it may raise your prone profile, but I'd rather be shot in the armored back than shot w/o armor.
There's lots of places you can still get shot while wearing RBA, especially in any significant contact with forces with automatic weapons, or where an enemy has heavy weapons or troops with the opportunity for aimed fire.

Depending on the type of operations and the physical and operational environment you're in, there are cost/benefit tradeoffs, so it's not something that should be mandatory.

Quote:
Do we have any specs re: casualties caused by shrapnel/bullets vs. others (mines, large concussive force)?
No, but at this phase, we're losing a lot more KIA/WIA to mines and RPG's, and small arms casualties are usually "finish 'em off" or "spray and pray" situations after an initial ambush is triggered with RPG's or command detonated mines. In WW2, about 70% of infantry casualties were blast/fragmentation casualties. That's probably a little higher here, since RPG's are poor man's artillery nowadays.
Old November 8, 2003, 16:28   #88
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:

So now you know.
hi ,

they should get some undervests for ventilation , and btw , made in Israel has upper arms and groin area protection , extra leg and arm gear can put with it , but who is going to pay for all of that , .......

the price is around 1450 usd , ........

undershirt ( you need a couple ) , washable covers etc , another 150 usd , ........

would the DOD invest in it , ......

some units have them , but not the regular soldier in field

weight 14 pounds without ceramic plates for sniper or heavy machingun

have a nice day
Old November 8, 2003, 16:33   #89
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 14:33
Oerdin, so you'll be going to N Iraq.. Watch out your back and your friends back too. I'm sure you'll do fine..
It would be cool if you can give updates with your laptop...
ANyway, the best of luck to you and return safely back!

ps. can you talk to officers about Susie Q's?
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old November 8, 2003, 16:38   #90
Oerdin
Deity

I'll see what I can do.