Old November 8, 2003, 19:13   #91
Chemical Ollie
King

Local Time: 13:33
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin

RBA has been standard issue to all US soldiers since the at least the Panama invasion. Everyone in Bosnia & Kosovo got RBA and I'm sure everyone in Iraq has RBA. It does have all of the downsides that MtG spoke about and it weights in about about 35lbs to boot. As an added detraction it is also bulky and uncomfortable as hell.

Still, it will be a standing order to wear it and I'm not likely to take it off unless I'm on base.
Did you read my link to the DoD propaganda? The new one is only about half that weight if I understand the text correctly. Still stronger than the previous type. Or were those 16.4 pounds only the jacket without plates and add-ons?

What's the nick of your unit then? 7th Psycho Group?
Old November 8, 2003, 19:50   #92
Sirotnikov
DiplomacyApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

What the heck is "psy ops"? Do you go around handing out flyers or do you do 'sppoky ghost noises"?
Old November 8, 2003, 20:26   #93
Lonestar
inmate
King

Local Time: 07:33
Nope. They spin the US Army's booboos.
Old November 13, 2003, 17:40   #94
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 04:33
Well, right now I'm in Aurora, Colorado which is a little ghetto town outside of Denver. I've meet most of the people I'm going to be working with over the next year and a half and by and large they seem like a good, if inexperienced, bunch. I have been having problems with one PFC in my squad who can't seem to get his ass to formation in time but other then that everything is well.

Right now I'm sick as a dog because they gave me eight immunization shots yesterday plus they made us do a ruck march this morning. Why they couldn't have waited until we were done with PT and ruck marching before they gave everyone flu and Thyfoid I will never know. Still, I passed with plenty of time to spare though being at 5000ft (as opposed to sea level) made it much more difficult then I remembered. Cheers.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old November 13, 2003, 19:09   #95
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 06:33
Good to see you're having fun at camp.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old November 13, 2003, 22:46   #96
korn469
Emperor

Oerdin,

Take care over there, and if you meet any 12-Bravo's from Virginia over there ask them if they know of a place called Richlands. If they do, then I have some friends in that unit.
Old November 15, 2003, 21:26   #97
Chemical Ollie
King

Saw you in the pics thread. You look more like a military guy than an unemployed Internet addict, or a geologist for that matter. Or perhaps geologists really do look like Pierce Brosnan in that Volcano movie (can't remember title)

What's your military grade anyway?
Old November 15, 2003, 22:49   #98
The Mad Monk
Emperor

If Rutgers was anything to go by, a lot of geologists are ex-military.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old November 16, 2003, 01:41   #99
Lancer
Civilization III MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Deity

Local Time: 11:33
Oerdin, try to post from NorCal.

Hey, it's an adventure. I look back on my service as one of the best times in my life. Wish I could be in your boots, soldier.

May God be with you...

"Right now I'm sick as a dog because they gave me eight immunization shots yesterday plus they made us do a ruck march this morning. Why they couldn't have waited until we were done with PT and ruck marching before they gave everyone flu and Thyfoid I will never know. Still, I passed with plenty of time to spare though being at 5000ft (as opposed to sea level) made it much more difficult then I remembered. Cheers."

It does have a downside now and again. Gets better when you get to your duty station.
Old November 21, 2003, 00:15   #100
Oerdin
Deity

Ollie: I'm an E-5 but with luck I'll be an E-6 by this time next month.

Everyone else: They realigned our area of opporation so that we're covering everything from Baghdad north. That means I could potentially (read: likely) be stationed in the infamous "Sunni Triangle" where all of Saddam's supporters have been causing so much trouble. The unit I'm being sent over there with is an entirely new unit which is being created on the spot. The good news is that there isn't a bunch of baggage but the bad news is they're the low man on the totem pole so it might be difficult to get all the equipment we need.

As off right now we're only being issued M-16 instead of the M-4 (a shortened urban assult version of the M-16) and they're not issuing us M-9 pistols due to a shortage. Still, I plan to buy a pistol when I get to Iraq just so I can have a back up weapon encase my rifle jams; I've heard old Soviet made pistols are selling for around $100 in Baghdad.

That's about it. I'm working 16 hour days right now trying to jump through all of the hoops the Army keeps putting in front of me but hopefully things will start to slow down soon. The latest schedule has me going back to San Diego on Nov 23 through the 31st then going to Fort Hunter-Ligget from Dec 1st through the 21st. If anyone is going to be in San Diego at the same time I am then drop me a line and let's go for a couple of beers.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old November 21, 2003, 21:19   #101
Sirotnikov
DiplomacyApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

The army allows you to buy personal fire arms??
Old November 21, 2003, 22:41   #102
Japher
Emperor

Man, why does it take so long for Oerdin to leave?!!

Seriously, Oerdin, keep you head down and duck and weave, duck and weave... I don't pray, but I'll ask some ppl to pray for your safety, and Thank You
Old November 23, 2003, 15:49   #103
Chemical Ollie
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
Ollie: I'm an E-5 but with luck I'll be an E-6 by this time next month.
Those domestic American codes tells me nothing. Are you a Leutenant or Captain or what?

Also, I have the same question as Siro: Would it be legal to buy a pistol in Bagdhad?
Old November 23, 2003, 18:23   #104
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

no, those would be officer ranks. Those are designated with O-4, O-5 etc.

An E-5 in the army is like a seargant (they have several different seargants- staff seargant etc.) or something. I never really learned all the army grades . All I cared about was the navy grades .
Old November 23, 2003, 20:33   #105
OneFootInTheGrave
King

Good Luck there!

Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good.
Old November 23, 2003, 20:37   #106
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 14:33
Sergeants rule the military, thus they rule the world.
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old November 23, 2003, 20:50   #107
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Sirotnikov
The army allows you to buy personal fire arms??
Technically, no but when deployed they have been known to look the other way.

Quote:
Man, why does it take so long for Oerdin to leave?!!
I actually already left but I'm back for Thanksgiving. I'll leave and come back again before the end of the beginning if you know what I mean.

Last edited by Oerdin; November 23, 2003 at 20:56.
Old November 23, 2003, 21:28   #108
johncmcleod
Prince

Local Time: 03:33
Good luck. Hopefully you won't have to be in a situation where you will have to kill someone. Even if the guy is not innocent, I hear it has quite an effect on your conscience.

And don't be brainwashed into letting others think for you. Always question things.
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Old November 24, 2003, 00:57   #109
Sikander
King

Take a real pistol Oerdin! Damn, it sounds like you are already gone from Colorado. If you're still around let me know and I'll lend you one of mine. Can you sneak a .45 along for the ride?
Old November 24, 2003, 00:58   #110
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Good luck man, and stay safe!
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Old November 24, 2003, 00:58   #111
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

speaking of real pistol...

okay I actually don't like this pistol that much. But I bought it, and I'll stick with this purchase. But there are many better guns out there.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	gundesk.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	57957  
Old November 26, 2003, 07:23   #112
Straybow
Civilization II Succession GamesSpanish CiversPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Wow, 7.62 mm at 2750 fps is 30-06 territory rather than just AK or even NATO.

That should make you feel cozy.

Have a happy Turkey Day and a safe tour over there.