Prince

Local Time: 06:06
Local Date: October 31, 2010
New scenario released
http://members.nbci.com/HistCiv2/crises.htm

------------------
The Historical Civ2 Site
http://members.nbci.com/HistCiv2/index.htm

"The man who can smile when things go wrong has thought of someone he can blame it on" - anon

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed" - President Eisenhower
Old October 31, 2000, 21:33   #2
BeBro
Emperor

Local Time: 08:06
Andrew, I just have downloaded your scn file crisis1.zip, but I canīt unzip it. The Windows Explorer shows it as a normal zip file, but all unzip actions end in a "file corrupt" error...

------------------
Civ2000
Old October 31, 2000, 21:43   #3
Xin Yu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 22:06
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Same here. the first two files won't unzip. The third and fourth are ok.
Old November 1, 2000, 03:02   #4
Panda
Prince

Ok, I think there must have been a transmission problem originally, so I have reloaded both of these. The first one is rather important.

------------------
The Historical Civ2 Site

"The man who can smile when things go wrong has thought of someone he can blame it on" - anon

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed" - President Eisenhower
Old November 1, 2000, 07:42   #5
Gothmog
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 02:06
At least on my computer, the crises.htm does not display in Netscape. It does however, show up in Internet Explorer. I thought I would pass this along for anyone else who might have the same problem.

------------------
"There is no tiddle-taddle nor pibble-pabble in Pompey's camp."
Old November 1, 2000, 12:41   #6
Xin Yu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Downloaded, unzipped but coudln't play under MPE.
Old November 1, 2000, 15:49   #7
PolarisGL
King

Andrew, I might try it out sometime soon when I get some time. Looks excellent on your website.
Old November 1, 2000, 17:03   #8
Mao
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

I playtested it and let me just say that it is excellent. Everything from the units to the events to the concepts are absolutely beautiful and great. A must-download for any scenario-lover. This is the highly-anticipated scenario (at least for me) from his WWII worldwide scenario which I also thought was absolutely great. If I may say, I think this may even rival Red Front and Second Front; however, the scenario concepts are different as this scenario isn't all-out war, but it is still excellent.

Xin, I played it on Mutliplayer Gold fine...
[This message has been edited by Mao (edited November 01, 2000).]
Old November 1, 2000, 17:31   #9
BeBro
Emperor

Downloaded again, just played the first turns as Europeans. I agree with Mao - itīs GREAT

------------------
Civ2000
Old November 1, 2000, 20:06   #10
Cal
Prince

A fine scenario, but one thing has been bothering me... who said that quote at the beginning in the game? The one that goes "And just let me say to the globalists, to the internationalists, in Tokyo and New York, and in Paris, when I raise my hand to take that oath of office, your New World Order comes crashing down"?
Obviously it must be an american presidential candidate... and a conservative one at that, but who is it?

------------------
The strategically impaired,
-Cal
[This message has been edited by Cal (edited November 01, 2000).]
Old November 1, 2000, 20:11   #11
Panda
Prince

Mao's spotted one error already. Nuclear Missiles are supposed to have the prerequisite "Phy" rather than "Gen". Still, I might add, after reading the same problems in http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum18/HTML/001053.html?12

Well, I'll see if any other problems arise. Like why Xin Yu couldn't play with MPE. I do know that when Evil Capitalist playtested it he asked if I knew that I had the wonder movies on. I hadn't of course, but when I installed the scenario on my flatmates comp all the graphics checkboxes were active and fastpiece slide was off and autosave was on, which was not the setup I had specified. Plus there is another bug with the Find City command, which crashes the game and which I think is a memory problem related to the number of barbarian cities visible on the map. Also the Netscape problem with the site and I had a problem with the Javascript, even though it worked fine locally.

I'd just like to thank my playtesters publicly for their patient and helpful, contrustive feedback and ideas.

Polaris, I'll let you do the next one

Edit: sorry Cal. I was composing this when you posted. The quote is one of Pat Buchanan's. I would have prefered one of George Bush's, but had to take what I could find. I'm surprised this worked for you. It didn't work on my machine, though I knew it should. Another problem of different machines I suppose.
[This message has been edited by Andrew Livings (edited November 01, 2000).]
Old November 1, 2000, 20:20   #12
Cal
Prince

Oh... thanks, that was my first guess.
Old November 1, 2000, 20:28   #13
Mao
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

I don't know, the findcity command works fine for me

Also, I don't think preferences like autosave and fastpiece slide are dictated by the scenario but rather by the player, whatever it was set on the last time you exited the game will probably be the settings the next time IIRC.
Old November 2, 2000, 10:48   #14
BeBro
Emperor

One thing i miss in this scn are helicopters. Iīm not an expert in modern warfare, but I think helis are very important today, especially in those peacekeeping missions.
Iīd like to see Apaches or Tigers in this scn. I know, all units slot are in use, but I would remove the spy plane (tactical reconnaissance aircraft are often changed versions of fighters) and your AWACS planes are good for strategic recce missions.
Hmm, just a thought...

------------------
Civ2000
Old November 2, 2000, 11:14   #15
S_Palpatine
Settler

I want to play . I too can't play under MPE. The game freezes up when the scenario gets to the title graphic.
Old November 2, 2000, 11:31   #16
VietMinh
Warlord

Andrew, I playtest your scn but i can't play the final version on my PC in MPG???? I don't understand? Somebody help me?
[This message has been edited by VietMinh (edited November 02, 2000).]
Old November 2, 2000, 15:39   #17
PolarisGL
King

Andrew, my game freezes up and only shows the title.gif when I try to play this scenario.
Old November 2, 2000, 17:00   #18
Mao
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Actually, now that everyone mentions it, I too couldn't play the newest version of the scenario file on MPE. I played the lastest test version fine, but then I couldn't load the newest scenario file, remember I e-mailed you about that Andrew? It does freeze, so I had to just go back to old scenario file. I guess I could try to send it to people if they want it.
Old November 2, 2000, 19:52   #19
Panda
Prince

Okay, I heard.

I've just spent the last 3 hours updating the original playtest version to the latest version using MGE as the editor. You can now download this file from http://members.nbci.com/HistCiv2/crises5.zip (42Kb). Sorry about that. I have MGE but never thought to check it.

I'm stumped about the MGE problem. It wasn't hacking the file that did it as the file was already hacked when it went to playtesting. I started to update the last playtest version using FW, starting with changing all the scientists to taxmen as the first stage. So I saved this, loaded it in MGE, and it crashed . So I then used MGE to update it. I guarantee it works.

For you MAC users, could you please download http://members.nbci.com/HistCiv2/test.zip (361Kb) which is a collection of saved games during development. Then report back to me on which you can load and which you can't.

Another thing about using MGE is that the menuend.wav actually works, and so does the Find City command.

BeBro, I had originally included two helicopters, one modern unit and one future unit. The trouble is I never really know how to use helicopters effectively or even what the idea for them in Civ2 is. If they're just gunships I don't see that they should be able to capture cities - they should act more like air units. If they're transports for infantry, like APCs then why are they more vulnerable to fighter attack - they should act more like ground units. So I got rid of them and added more attack jets.

------------------
The Historical Civ2 Site

Old November 2, 2000, 19:56   #20
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 16:06
quote:

Originally posted by BeBro on 11-02-2000 09:48 AM
One thing i miss in this scn are helicopters. Iīm not an expert in modern warfare, but I think helis are very important today, especially in those peacekeeping missions.

On the other hand, realistic helicopter ranges would only be one or two spaces. I generally assume that helicopters are atached to ground units, and make up a significant fraction of thier firepower

Andrew, I think that you have a typo in your .exe code. The exe looks for usaevents, not usevents, so it won't automatically load. But, it's easy to rename the file, so no worries, and congratulations for such a good senario

------------------
If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error
-John Kenneth Galbraith
[This message has been edited by Case (edited November 02, 2000).]
Old November 2, 2000, 20:44   #21
echopapa
Chieftain

The new MGE edition seems to work perfectly on the Mac... must have just been the MGE conversion issues, not the file hacking. The only problem remaining is the color palette (the dialogues appear as a garish yellow on blue), but that's no big deal.

Great work as always!
Old November 3, 2000, 01:37   #22
echopapa
Chieftain

I suspect the reason that many of us can't play this scenario is because Andrew hacked the .scn file, as he mentioned in the readme. I, too, would love to take a crack at this (Andrew's "Europe 1939" is what inspired me to become a scenario author myself), but the Mac version of Civ2 can't load hacked .scn files without crashing. Any chance of a non-hacked version?
Old November 4, 2000, 10:46   #23
MacGyver

I`d just like to say that this scenario is the best I`ve played in ages! There is a distinct lack of modern day world scenarios, which makes this a welcome change to all the WW2 and ancient scenarios that seem to be coming out nowadays (no offence to the people that make those scenarios, BTW).

What I like about this scn is that it`s packed with truly innovative features. The peacekeeping missions which actually require co-operation between at least two allies are excellent, as is the new tech tree. I like the struggle that the EU has to go through to emerge as a fully integrated power with it`s own military as well as economic system. All in all, an excellent scenario. Keep the blue and yellow colours BTW, I reckon they`re pretty cool.

Old November 6, 2000, 01:23   #24
master on high
King

way to edit the messages! That just adds so much to the atmosphere.
Old November 6, 2000, 05:40   #25
KhanMan
Prince

I loved this scenario!

After the MGE problem was fixed, I tried it out again, and loved the gameplay. The way you have looked at modern times through the lense of civ2 is truly great.

On a side note, I hope you aren't offended, but I have been playing with terrain.txt as normal, since your improvements, while beautiful and ground-breaking, are a little too overloading.

Best Wishes,
KhanMan
Old November 6, 2000, 12:30   #26
Xin Yu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Just use marines to attack a rebel city from a ship and you'll get tons of money. The ship will get the marines back and rest a turn, then you can do it again. By rotating two groups of 40 marines you'll get 10k per turn
Old November 6, 2000, 18:10   #27
Panda
Prince

quote:

By rotating two groups of 40 marines you'll get 10k per turn.

Not for long, O exploiter of loopholes. I'm making some amendments and you can be sure there are two tweaks I'm definately making: 1. Destroying Rogue infantry will only yield 100m instead of 250m. 2. Beefed up Rogue infantry to compensate for their "green" status. Both of these will have the effect of making Rogues a destabilising force rather then a cash cow, and you'll have to use those marines to stop the Rogues making headway in other regions.

On that theme, does anyone have any little improvements to suggest? Also, does anyone know if the French operate an airbase in Senegal? I thought this would be good for airstrikes in Liberia.

Anyway Xin Yu, that may be good, but it's not the most profitable use of resources. Try playing the Europeans and get those Freight units to Tokyo: cash bonuses of 2500m each. I thought of a great strategy: if you take Cuba before the Americans you can use that as a base to airlift Freight units into, and then simply ship them up to New York. Fantastic cash bonus and huge trade per turn. Kick start that economy!

Edit: sorry Khan Man. Which file?
[This message has been edited by Andrew Livings (edited November 06, 2000).]