View Poll Results: What is the best government type?
Despotism 2 1.59%
Monarch 14 11.11%
Republic 47 37.30%
Communism 7 5.56%
Democrocy 56 44.44%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 3, 2003, 15:05   #61
Turrosh Mak
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:35
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by panag
if one is well prepared it could take as little as two turns to switch
What are you talking about? The player can't choose how many turns anarchy lasts, unless one cheats by loading and reloading the turn until you get the result you desire.

If you know something the rest of us don't, please explain.
Old November 4, 2003, 16:54   #62
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 13:35
Quote:
Originally posted by Turrosh Mak

What are you talking about? The player can't choose how many turns anarchy lasts, unless one cheats by loading and reloading the turn until you get the result you desire.

If you know something the rest of us don't, please explain.

hi ,

where is it written that the player can choose , .....

where is cheating written , .....

where

have a nice day
Old November 6, 2003, 08:18   #63
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 23:35
Quote:
Originally posted by GhengisFarb
Typically the Republic to Democracy switch never happens for me. I'm either in a dead heat to gain dominion and can't afford the anarchy or so far dominant it doesn't matter.
This is it. Whenever I get Democracy I am always racing to keep apace/ahead of the other civs - that just seems to be a common factor for that part of the game.

4-8 turns of Anarchy is OK, but not at that point of time, where it can mean 2 techs I suddenly have to catch up on.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old November 6, 2003, 14:41   #64
GarP2
Civilization III Democracy Game
Chieftain

Panag -

The line quoted by Turrosh Mak could be interpreted as meaning that good preparation may speed up the transition. But I dont believe that's the way you meant it.

Also -

My 2 pfennig on the best government - I've been playing warmonger lately, attacking as soon as possible and rolling on to the next victim when the first is disabled/destroyed. For this kind of game, Monarchy as soon as possible (well, after the techs for Great Library) allows me to continue to roll, even though I dont have the improvements to be able to function in republic.

I'm sure I'll come to my senses eventually.

GarP2, the...well...somewhatvincible
Old November 6, 2003, 18:33   #65
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by GarP2
Panag -

The line quoted by Turrosh Mak could be interpreted as meaning that good preparation may speed up the transition. But I dont believe that's the way you meant it.
hi ,

THATS exactly what it meant , good preparation speeds things up , ......

and thats excatly whats written

have a nice day
Old November 6, 2003, 18:35   #66
Gangerolf
Prince

Local Time: 12:35
democracy
Old November 6, 2003, 18:55   #67
Solomwi
lifer
C3CDG Desolation RowPtWDG2 Monty PythonCiv4 SP Democracy GameApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 06:35
Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
I just looked at the poll and it is really shocking to see so many for Dem, are these Regent games? Really want to wait for Dem and stick with it at higher levels as a non religious civ? Actually in this poll even a religious civ would be beter off with Rep. You would be stuck in despost for such a long time.
My games on Monarch last long enough to make a second switch worthwhile, even when non-Rel. I get out of despotism into republic ASAP, but then switch to democracy as soon as I can, too, without putting the priority on it that I do getting to republic. After 5-6 turns of anarchy, during which I already have at least tech parity, I tend to get 100+ turns in democracy, over which the bonus over republic overcomes the anarchy. I'm looking forward to fascism, though, because probably my favorite part of democracy is the worker bonus, and least favorite is, of course, the war weariness.
"They say if you give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. But if you teach a man to fish...then he has to get a fishing license. But he doesn't have any money, so he has to get a job and enter the social security system. And he has to file taxes, and you're gonna audit the poor son of a ***** because he's not really good at math. You pull the IRS van up to his house and take everything. You take his velvet Elvis and his toothbrush and his penis pump and that all goes up for auction with the burden of proof on you because you forgot to carry the 1. All because you wanted to eat a fish, and you couldn't even cook the fish because you need a permit for an open flame."
- Doug Stanhope
Old November 9, 2003, 03:43   #68
bvoncranium
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Solomwi
I tend to get 100+ turns in democracy, over which the bonus over republic overcomes the anarchy.
You must be very patient... honestly, I can't imagine taking 100 turns or more to crush the opposition!
Old November 9, 2003, 07:26   #69
Jethro83
Prince

Local Time: 21:35
Lately, I've found republic to be the most useful government. It seems to me to be the most versatile, since there is more commerce, less corruption and so little war weariness it is hardly noticeable.

In my current game as Greece, I've stuck with Republic right from when I acquired it, and steamrolled Arabia, Russia and the Mongols in a long campaign of conquest throughout the middle ages and needless to say, nobody is singing their John Lennon song yet.

However, once I get Conquests, things are definitely going to change with the documented changes to Republic and I just might have be reacquainted with Monarchy, since the middle ages has become an era of total war for me lately.
Old November 9, 2003, 11:47   #70
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 07:35
Quote:
And sorry, but i am not including "Banana" in the poll!
Traitor!
Old November 9, 2003, 18:32   #71
Turrosh Mak
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by panag

hi ,

THATS exactly what it meant , good preparation speeds things up , ......

and thats excatly whats written

have a nice day
Nonsense! A random number determines how many turns you are in anarchy if you are non-religious.

Stop making claims without support, it drives me crazy.

This is as bad as your assertion that you know how to nuke mountains into hills without any explaination as to how you accomplished it.

Give us some facts that others can verify
Old November 9, 2003, 18:34   #72
andy_hammer
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Democracy, I usually play a religious Civ so jumping to other Civs for War is no problem.
Old November 10, 2003, 06:33   #73
Zevico
Prince

Quote:
Demo gives slightly less corruption, but the difference is very small (and potentially offset by all the lost commerce during the anarchy of the government switch). The only "spy" advantage Demo enjoys is immunity to propaganda -- otherwise the espionage effects are identical. The real advantage of Demo is the faster workers. The real disadvantage is war weariness. Unlike the difference in corruption, the war weariness difference is large enough to be quite noticeable.
Firstly, it is not slightly less corruption. Slightly little would be where each city would experience 1 point less of corruption, which is not the case. Often, the difference between Democracy and Republic is the difference between a productive city and a powerhouse city, or between a dead beat slum to a semi productive city (depending on the size of your empire and difficulty level). Whether the government switch might make up for this is debatable, but it is obvious that over the long term it will, simply by the fact that every 4 or 5 trade points and shields from each city will eventually make the difference, especially in my latter example, where it might take 40 turns to build a mere temple-and hey presto, one revolution later, it is now 16 or 20 turns (this is from my experience in the game). The question is--how much time is required for one's empire to have gained an advantage by going into democracy?

It seems to me that the production lost over these few turns is highly overrated and will be made up for in 40 or less turns at the least, but this is merely my vague conjecture. It is true that workers will lose efficiency at this time; however, usually Democracy is acquired (at least by me) nearly ASAP, so losing patience over pollution not being cleaned and railroads never lain has never been a problem for me.
Old November 10, 2003, 15:10   #74
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Turrosh Mak

Nonsense! A random number determines how many turns you are in anarchy if you are non-religious.

Stop making claims without support, it drives me crazy.

This is as bad as your assertion that you know how to nuke mountains into hills without any explaination as to how you accomplished it.

Give us some facts that others can verify
nonsense , nosense that being well prepared helps you true a revolution , well claiming that as you do now , now thats nonsense , .......

and btw , as for the nukes , you just drop the nuke on the mountains and they change to hill , or even to grass or plains , now , what can you explain about dropping a nuke on some mountains , you just drop them , thats all , ....... now that cant be to hard , can it , ..........
Old November 10, 2003, 20:13   #75
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
OMG!!

So, Turrosh Mak is not supposed to have a nice day??

TM, expect a bolt of lightning any minute now.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old November 10, 2003, 21:33   #76
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

I was expecting something like

Have a crappy day for telling me I can't make a mountain out of a molehill with nukes.

Have a confused day
Old November 10, 2003, 22:15   #77
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 04:35
Quote:
Originally posted by Zevico

Firstly, it is not slightly less corruption. Slightly little would be where each city would experience 1 point less of corruption, which is not the case. Often, the difference between Democracy and Republic is the difference between a productive city and a powerhouse city, or between a dead beat slum to a semi productive city (depending on the size of your empire and difficulty level).
That's a tremendous increase in productivity / lowering of corruption and I've not seen anything like it in my games. Moving from 40 turns to 20 turns is more likely a result of population growth between the time of the government switch and the new government rather than reduced corruption effects - or else it else an almost terminally corrupt city, producing one shield and one gold, but "doubling" its meager output with the government change.

If you look at alexman's corruption formula (or better yet, play with alexman's corruption calculator - attached), you can see that democracy vs republic usually has <5% reductions in total corruption for core, near-core, and even middling cities, maxing out in most cases to around 10% reduction on the very fringes of the empire where corruption is almost total in any event. Even a size 12 city with roads and rivers is making +/- 30 raw commerce, meaning a difference of either 1, 2, or 3 raw commerce in total corruption as the best case -- for smaller cities or cities with less beneficial land, the improvement is further stunted by rounding down effects.

As a hypothetical, we can imagine and compare the extra gold or two per city to the 5 - 8 turns of all commerce (corrupted and uncorrupted alike!) lost to anarchy. Assume 10 cities each gain 2 raw commerce (unlikely, in my view, at least on a standard map). Assume that each such city has a full bevy of improvements increasing the effect of commerce (markets/banks or libraries/univs) so that it reaches 4 "net saved commerce" by the switch. Assume such benefit is enjoyed for 100 additional game turns. The total savings over those 100 turns is 4000 gold. Now compare that to the loss of the empire's entire commerce during anarchy. With 10 cities saving 2 gold, I'd wager you've an empire of at least 20 cities; and in order to save 2 gold (assuming a generous corruption savings of democracy at 10%) the cities must be making at least 20 raw commerce apiece (multiplied by the same improvement modifiers brings this commerce to 40) meaning each turn the empire brings in 800 gold from its 20 cities. 800 gold lost for only 5 turns of anarchy is 4000 gold - and it grows if the anarchy goes longer than 5 turns. So you can lose 4000 gold now for 4000 gold later, plus anything beyond 100 turns, or you can save 4000 gold now in exchange for forgoing benefits of 40 gpt beginning 100 turns hence. This simplified hypothetical doesn't even consider any population loss due to anarchy or opportunity cost of improvements coming on later than they otherwise would by several turns.

The above is only a hypothetical -- a better way to get a feel for it is to find a saved game with a "typical" empire when playing a religious civ -- change from rep to demo or demo to rep and look at both F1 and F11 screens to get a sense for the corruption and waste savings, then compare it to the time that you might expect to lose to anarchy as a non-religious civ.

In any event, I'll still stick by my view that the corruption reduction is de minimis while the WW problems are potentially significant. Now, with C3C out and republic unit costs at 2 while democracy unit costs are 1 . . . well, the relative merits start to become a more interesting choice IMHO.

Catt
Attached Files:
File Type: zip corrcalc.zip (125.6 KB, 5 views)
Old November 11, 2003, 03:25   #78
Solomwi
lifer
C3CDG Desolation RowPtWDG2 Monty PythonCiv4 SP Democracy GameApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

You make good points, Catt. To play democracy's advocate in that scenario, though, taking into consideration a huge continents map, the main benefits of even a slight corruption/waste reduction that I've seen (or think I've seen) is in the margins. Starting in the mid industrial age, my overriding production concern is getting that one extra shield to get a 99 shield city to 100, 89 to 90, and 59 to 60 (for cruise missiles). Even a small waste reduction can mean 20 more cities producing in one turn instead of two. The corruption reduction is a little harder to pinpoint, since commerce is effectively cumulative, but the sheer number of productive (def: not absolutely crippled by corruption/waste) cities on such a map makes a small reduction across the board potentially quite powerful.

Bottom line, it's not nearly as powerful for players either on smaller maps or who see their games end before the mid to late industrial, but in the right kind of game it can be well worth the down time.

Of course, on such a map, it also means being able to reduce my (typical for non-industrious) 150 worker force to 100, thereby saving 50 gold each turn right off the bat, in addition to any benefits seen in the cities. If I don't trim my workers immediately, which I usually don't with RR coming up, it still allows me to finish my rail net in 2/3 the time and start my wholesale adding to cities that much sooner. Btw, this is the same reason I consider RP the juiciest tech of the early Industrial.

For the record, I'm dying to try Fascism. Fast workers + low (or is it no?) WW is a siren's call to me. I hate seeing the pop penalties incurred (both on switching and via poprushing), but c'est la vie.
"They say if you give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. But if you teach a man to fish...then he has to get a fishing license. But he doesn't have any money, so he has to get a job and enter the social security system. And he has to file taxes, and you're gonna audit the poor son of a ***** because he's not really good at math. You pull the IRS van up to his house and take everything. You take his velvet Elvis and his toothbrush and his penis pump and that all goes up for auction with the burden of proof on you because you forgot to carry the 1. All because you wanted to eat a fish, and you couldn't even cook the fish because you need a permit for an open flame."
- Doug Stanhope
Old November 11, 2003, 11:34   #79
Mad Bomber
King

I usually switch to Democracy, as I can't stand corruption. Any benefit to fight corruption is worth it IMO (this might change with C3C though (police+ Civil Engineer) I will try facism out but I doubt it will ever be my main Government switch (communism would be an option if it wasn't for the sacrifice hurry. )
* There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.
Old November 11, 2003, 11:42   #80
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

The tiebreaker for me is the increased worker speed under Democracy.

Sometimes I don't switch, since I also see it the way Catt does: the total loss of your civ's production & commerce for 4-7 turns. Basically, I look at Demo as a luxury. If I'm already ahead, I will probably switch, for the worker bonus and reduced corruption (I hate corruption). But if I'm in a dead heat or behind, forget it! I need those turns, and I'm probably not powerful enough to squash foes before WW rears its ugly head, so republic's lower WW is attractive.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old November 11, 2003, 12:29   #81
Mad Bomber
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
The tiebreaker for me is the increased worker speed under Democracy.

Sometimes I don't switch, since I also see it the way Catt does: the total loss of your civ's production & commerce for 4-7 turns. Basically, I look at Demo as a luxury. If I'm already ahead, I will probably switch, for the worker bonus and reduced corruption (I hate corruption). But if I'm in a dead heat or behind, forget it! I need those turns, and I'm probably not powerful enough to squash foes before WW rears its ugly head, so republic's lower WW is attractive.

-Arrian
True, but since all of the AI's switch to democracy and stay there until forced into communism will inevitably lead you to fall further behind (unless you attack a nation or two while they switch) WW can be managed even in Demo provided you pay attention to securing luxuries (a BIG variable in the decision to switch or not). And if your treasury is sufficient you should be able to make up any tech deficiencies in short order.
* There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.
Old November 11, 2003, 12:53   #82
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

MB,

I'm a luxury hog, and I'm all about fighting wars under Demo. So I know what you mean.

What I'm saying is that if I'm in a real struggle, I probably cannot afford the time lost in anarchy, and I probably will need to do some fighting, so republic's lower WW will be nice.

Let's take my last Emperor level PTW game as an example. Me China. Me strong, me lucky (multiple GLs early = Great Library and FP in a decent spot). Me have big strong neighbor with Pyramids (Mongols). Me major power, but not superpower. Me don't know why me talk like this.

I hit the Industrial Age *just* in front of the AI. I wanted to get Steam Power and start those RRs asap. Yeah, my industrious workers would be laying rail really really fast under Demo, but I'd have to suffer the anarchy first. I also knew I had to take down the Mongols, and move my Palace down towards their core in order to really ice the game.

As it turned out, the Mongols sneak attacked me and I ended up fighting a long, drawn out slugfest that ended in me exiling them to a small island (and taking them out 20 turns after that). This required more than 20 turns of fighting, because in the middle of the war they got infantry (which I had at the start), and I needed to roll up my stack of 20+ arty pieces and blast away for a turn or two to be able to capture cities with my Cav. Only after taking out Mongolia did I become a superpower. Then, if I'd wanted to, I could have switched. But at that point most of my rails were built, and I didn't want to deal with my cities starving during anarchy (dependent on the RR-boosted irrigation). Hence, the People's Republic lived on.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old November 11, 2003, 12:59   #83
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 04:35
Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian (emphasis added)
Let's take my last Emperor level PTW game as an example. Me China. Me strong, me lucky (multiple GLs early = Great Library and FP in a decent spot). Me have big strong neighbor with Pyramids (Mongols). Me major power, but not superpower. Me don't know why me talk like this.
Old November 11, 2003, 14:15   #84
GarP2
Civilization III Democracy Game
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus
OMG!!

So, Turrosh Mak is not supposed to have a nice day??

TM, expect a bolt of lightning any minute now.

Ha! Good Eye, Theseus!

Also - Panag - I just cant leave this alone...

I believe TM was talking about # of turns of anarchy, as was I (although I didnt say it very clearly), but it sounds like you are talking about how long the difficulties from the transition last, not just strictly the # of turns of anarchy, right?

GarP2much
Old November 13, 2003, 02:07   #85
Vince278
King

Best gov depends entirely on what you are wanting to do at the time so the question is basically irrelevant.
"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
2004 Presidential Candidate
2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)
Old November 13, 2003, 13:52   #86
Arrian
Deity

As I mentioned in another thread, I think that the Conquests version of Republic is actually a better late-game warmonger government than it was in PTW.

The reason for this is free unit support. 1 per town, 3 per city, 4 per metro, I believe. Granted, every unit above your allowed number will cost you 2gpt. That's the kicker, and can be a real problem in the ancient/early medieval. Being agricultural really helps with that, btw.

Anyway, with imagine that you have 20 cities (size 7-12). That's 60 free units.

Under Democracy, those units would each cost you 1gpt. You would also have a slightly higher income due to reduced corruption.

So in the above basic situation (20 cities), your army would need to be 120 units in order that the upkeep costs balance out between republic and demo.

Republic: 60 free, then 2gpt per after that. 60*2 = 120gpt for a 120 unit army.

Demo: 0 free, 1gpt. 120gpt for a 120 unit army.

Then factor in the anarchy period in order to switch.

In my current game I pondered that for all of two seconds and decided against a revolution. My unit upkeep costs would have increased, most likely cancelling out the corruption reduction. The only thing left is the worker bonus, and I decided I could live without it.

-Arrian

Old November 15, 2003, 14:17   #87
vee4473
King

it seems to me that panag just likes to yank peoples chains...
Old November 15, 2003, 17:54   #88
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by vee4473
it seems to me that panag just likes to yank peoples chains...
hi ,

what the heck , .......

sjee , .........

ever heard of email , .....

have a nice day