Old October 31, 2003, 15:24   #1
Corellion
ACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Prince

Local Time: 06:37
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Terraforming plans
Alright, I was getting around to writing my moves when I came to a realisation. In many sections of CyCon territory, the terraforming options are no longer obvious, and in many cases not even semi-obvious. We have a number of options, so this thread (not a poll, this shall remain informal and polls are too rigid for these purposes) is meant for discussing them. For ease of communication, and for ease of generalisation, I have split our territory into 4 terraforming regions, regions N, C, S, and E.

Region N is the north section of our territory, and corresponds to the peninsula north of Apolyton Prime.
Region C is the central Region, and corresponds to the area from Apolyton Prime and its northern regions east to Zetaris, and south to the sea separating Logic Loop from Boolean Bay.
Region S is the southern region, and corresponds to the area south of the sea separating Logic Loop from Boolean Bay.
Region E is the east section of our territory, and corresponds to those bases along the east coast of our territory, roughly from Aurora to Mythical Matrix.

These are rough region lines, so specify what you are referring to if there is any question.

What should our general terraforming strategy in each region be? Keep in mind that there's a good possibility of getting Ecological Engineering soon.
Function Corelli Omega-9, Internal Affairs Function (Terms 110, 101, 100, 011, and 010) and Advisor on Foreign Affairs (Term 001) for the Cybernetic Consciousness in the Alpha Centauri Democracy Team Game (ACDTG).
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or one.
Old November 3, 2003, 06:56   #2
Impaler[WrG]
Civilization IV CreatorsACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 MorganPolyCast Team
King

Local Time: 04:37
Humm I dont tend to plan my terraforming regionaly as I focus on maximizing individual tile output without regard to regional or even City needs (I adapt the city to fit its surroundings). Long term I develope a continent covered with farms/mirrors and doted with mines and Bore Holes.

I think after EE we should focus on developing Rockysquares into Mines and then Crawl them.

Adding Echelon Mirrors ware they can do the most good (high elevation energy parks)

Adding Condensors ware they can do the most good, flat dry areas so they can be crawled.

Putting BoreHoles on the remaining undesirable lands, A lot of the Southern (S) region would be good for BoreHoles as its rather flat and worthless.

Any tiles that are rolling and greater then 1000M I always go farm/solar to bring in a high food and energy supply along with the bonus mineral. Because forests ignore the rolling mineral bonus and elevation energy potential I never put forests in rolling terrain of modest or high elevation.
Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche
Old December 14, 2003, 19:20   #3
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 13:37
Drogue, in the chat you mentioned a save with an example of the terraforming plan you had before eyes and asked if I wanted a copy of it. I was wondering, could you please send it to xxxpeter_steenbeke@hotmail.comxxx without the x's?
Old December 15, 2003, 10:42   #4
Phenix
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Morgan
Warlord

Local Time: 12:37
There were some very good terraforming plans circulating in the AC general/help/strategy forum a while ago... anyone in need for some inspiration should browse through there
Old December 16, 2003, 20:15   #5
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Local Time: 11:37
I thought it best to simply upload the zip file here

Save File Link. It's a 2282 save, but the terraforming has been completed as is (except for the mag tube) for about 100 years. The CyCon island is the bit I'm refering to, not the newly conquered Spartan territory.

As you can see, all the bases produce massive mins, nuts and energy, however mins have been capped due to eco damage, because I try to have regular and few pops, which has been managed. I can produce any SP, from scratch, in less than 10 turns, and usually do about 3 or 4 at a time. I change 2 bases to the war effort and take on average 2 bases per turn from the Spartans. Admittedly this was with the WP, but it is possible without, it just takes more time.

I try to get 6 boreholes and many condensers per base, crawl the condensers for nuts, work the BHs, and then forest the rest to work. I then have one base that crawls in energy from the sea, and gets all the SPs (Supercolider et al) relating to energy production. Hence my research is 1 every 2 turns, and has been below 1 ever 4 turns for over 100 years, IIRC.

It's former intensive, but it works well. However with short time, I say carpet forest and Tree Farm everywhere, with boreholes and condensers used somewhat. That's less former intensive, gives good results, both now and later.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old December 19, 2003, 06:23   #6
Phenix
Warlord

And the mainly forest approach (vs. all those expensive terraforming options) is also much less vulnerable in war on our continent and against special missile strikes.
It doesn't seem like there's going to be fighting on our island anytime soon, but it's still an advantage we have to consider...
Old December 19, 2003, 07:25   #7
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 11:37
Make a really big mountain and name it after me!
Old December 19, 2003, 07:39   #8
laurentius
Civilization II MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyNever Ending StoriesACDG PeaceACDG3 GaiansMacC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
King

Local Time: 13:37
Mount hanabi?

- Paul Valery
Old December 19, 2003, 13:58   #9
Phenix
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
Make a really big mountain and name it after me!
I don't think that would be the most efficient terraform design... i don't think Tassadar could stop himself from using his divine power and turning the mountain into a monster volcano