Old December 1, 2003, 07:38   #31
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 11:37
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Give it a rest Darekill, most people have already left GS rather than have to listen to this kind of rubbish.

Old December 1, 2003, 08:27   #32
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Local Time: 12:37
Give it a rest, OPD.

Darekill explicitly talks about brave soldiers of yours - no belittling, no humiliation, no bad language. His attempt at a poem is far from insulting, offensive, or "rubbish", as you put it (unless you were speaking of the quality of his rhymes, of course... ). IMHO, it is a pretty decent way to celebrate one's major victory.
vondrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2003, 08:42   #33
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

crap
Harovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2003, 08:53   #34
Hot_Enamel
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 22:37
OPD

Boo

GS have been outclassed diplomatically, militarily, strategically, and poetically.
If you don’t like it...you also know where to find your team forums leave button.

Last edited by Hot_Enamel; December 1, 2003 at 09:00.
Hot_Enamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2003, 10:31   #35
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 06:37
Quote:
Originally posted by Hot_Enamel
OPD

Boo

GS have been outclassed diplomatically, militarily, strategically, and poetically.
If you don’t like it...you also know where to find your team forums leave button.
When I was growing up, my mother taught me how to win with class and how to lose with class. How to treat and respect an opponent when you were winning and when you were losing. Apparently not all mothers have taught their sons such lessons.

I think OPD was overreacting, but I can't blame him. No one likes to be mocked (though I don't think the poem was really mocking anyone). "Here's a witty little poem about how we massacred your forces" I think everyone can see why that wouldn't go over well. Is there a need to even raise this in the forum? We, GS would see the dead units and know what happened, a public announcement regarding this is just....rubbing it in I guess. But if people need to rub in such things, then more power to them I guess. I dont' recall GS saying such things during the latter stages of the Vox war.

edit: again, to reiterate, I don't have a problem with the poem, hell, at this point I'm glad someone is getting amusement out of it
asleepathewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2003, 10:50   #36
Darekill
PtWDG2 Monty PythonC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Neu Demogyptica
Prince

As far as I remember there were certain threads filled with the Glory of the war chickens and poisoned bananas and....

Well maybe I remember wrong though I really don't know where I have the picture of Warchicken then.

Yes I did write this to mock a bit, not too badly and I sure did not want to do real dammage with that. I remember a time where all the Forum was having fun about some Nation that lead a war that gained them nothing but a lot of costs and little space. I do remember how all of us had some laughs st poor Lux which was beaten badly ingame during this war. Well we used to have thicker skin at that time.

Again if the things I wrote did harm someone I apologise. It was suposed to be a joke nothing more nothing less.
Old December 1, 2003, 11:41   #37
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Boo boo boo

Yeah sorry ND should of course be able to do and say whatever they like.

They just shouldn't complain when the save from GS takes longer.
Old December 1, 2003, 14:37   #38
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

Local Time: 07:37
Darekill

I don't see how this type of roleplaying can be taken personally by anyone. See UnO's newly created thread for details.
Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
---------
May God Bless.
Panzer32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2003, 16:34   #39
ZargonX
PtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 MorganC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy GameApolyCon 06 ParticipantsBtS Tri-LeagueApolyton UniversityPtWDG2 TabemonoC4WDG Huygen's Union
Emperor

[quote]Yeah sorry ND should of course be able to do and say whatever they like.

They just shouldn't complain when the save from GS takes longer.[/quote

Are you saying GS is going to hold up the game out of spite? Because if you are, I think that really crosses a line.
ZargonX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2003, 16:55   #40
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 13:37
Have some sense, of course he isn't.
Edit: x-posted with Vondrack; thanks Von (can I call you Von? ).
- Phantom of the Opera
Shiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2003, 16:55   #41
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

I think OPD wanted to say that GS cannot now play their turns as fast as they used to because their member base has shrunk to an extent hampering timely handling of the save.
Old December 1, 2003, 17:11   #42
Harovan
staff

This assumption is right. I remember I called our team "Gathering Spam" at one time, because we had a thriving forum with by far the biggest traffic overall. These times are gone long ago, since in the big period of mudslinging a big part of our player base (must be about 2/3 or even more) left in disgust, tired of being insulted and provoked without reason, and the others barely make two contiguous posts per day.
Old December 1, 2003, 17:37   #43
OPD
King

yes yes, perhaps I was too vague
in this thread ND ask why the save is delayed from GS.

In this thread is the reason.
OPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2003, 18:09   #44
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Local Time: 05:37
You know what, Cry me a river.

I am sick and tired of this Sh*t from GS. You have participated in it as well.

http://www.apolyton.net/forums/showt...threadid=83524

http://www.apolyton.net/forums/showt...threadid=84400

http://www.apolyton.net/forums/showt...threadid=90377

YET,

Any time someone tries to have some fun and even makes the most vague reference to GS, they come out of the woodworks pissing and moaning about how it's mudslinging and has destroyed their team.

I am sick of it. I for one have found writting the most fun out of this game.

Lux took it in stride when I mentioned them. Vox took it in stride when I mentioned them. RP may have seethed and boiled in their private forum, but they took it.

I haven't even gotten to talking of GS yet, and still I get requests to omit this or edit that or be nice here.

You know, You are NOT the only team here. We do not revolve around you, nor does this game. Posts here are as much for the PUBLIC as anyone playing. Yes, there are people seeking information in general.

Here, Darekill was just trying to have fun, to write and participate at POLY like the rest of us, and you, GS. Arguably some of the most respected members of Poly come and belittle his attempt. It makes me sick. I've been seeing more and more of this here at Poly, actually.

Ah hell, I'm stopping now before you REALLY get me going.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
UnOrthOdOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2003, 18:41   #45
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Moo.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old December 1, 2003, 18:43   #46
Shiber
Emperor

Oh, and I think it's worth mentioning that as far as my memory serves me, I was never insulted by anything that Darekill has written.
In fact, I don't think that a single member of ND has ever hurt my feelings, one way or another.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old December 1, 2003, 19:04   #47
Hot_Enamel
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by asleepathewheel

When I was growing up, my mother taught me how to win with class and how to lose with class. How to treat and respect an opponent when you were winning and when you were losing. Apparently not all mothers have taught their sons such lessons.
Hmm .. yet you deem it OK to attack my mother in a public forum ?
Old December 1, 2003, 19:11   #48
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

HE, peace bro peace. You get a bit too wound up about these things.
Old December 1, 2003, 19:16   #49
Zayxus
PtWDG Neu Demogyptica
Warlord

Each turn took many hours of considering.

No more comments.
Old December 1, 2003, 19:18   #50
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Zayxus
Each turn took many hours of considering.

No more comments.

indeed
Old December 1, 2003, 19:21   #51
Harovan
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx
I am sick and tired of this Sh*t from GS.
I'm glad somebody shares our feelings of being sick and tired.

Quote:
You have participated in it as well.

http://www.apolyton.net/forums/showt...threadid=83524

http://www.apolyton.net/forums/showt...threadid=84400

http://www.apolyton.net/forums/showt...threadid=90377
These are mudslinging how exactly? And when exactly called anyone your Trappings a mudslinging campaign? I for my part didn't even read them, let alone say a single word of comment.
Old December 1, 2003, 19:25   #52
OPD
King

UnO I can't expect you to understand things from a GS point of view. It isn't a simple as you make out in your post.

Look at it this way GS aren't a team of whiners or fun nazis that want everyone to be miserable or to suck all the fun from the game, you know us well enough to know this isn't the case.

Then why do you think that members of GS get annoyed with these things in the public forum?

Imagine a young Irish child who goes to school one day. He plays a game of marbles agianst 3 English children. In the game the 3 English kids gang up on him and beat him. Then they start poking fun at him saying they are better than him etc etc. He has a pretty big go back at them but is generally upset, as everyone else ganged up on him.
Later he tells the teacher. Is he right too?
The other kids will obviously say that he was mean to them back. Perhaps even suggesting the Irish kids "cries them a river". The 3 children will find it hard to understand why the other child got so upset and perhaps accuse him of whining. Whereas the Irish kid cannot understand why the other 3 behaved the way they did.

Please excuse the obscurity but I'm trying to explain things without offending anyone.

What I'm trying to say here is that it's hard to see things from someone elses point of view. People don't get annoyed with you for no reason, they get pissed off because you piss them off.
Old December 1, 2003, 19:55   #53
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Can everyone please relax.

:applause: for Darekill!! My only real complaint was that you didn't write about the Fall of the War Chickens... rumors of that dastardly day have reached the shores of Stormia as well!! But thank you for acknowledging a valiant if doomed effort.

Um... wink wink.

UnO: Write away... please. I would think that recent events of various kinds would give you ample gristle for the mill. If you ever want anything reviewed, well, I'd be proud to be your reviewer!

Yep, H_E, we have been outclassed a number of times on a number of fronts... but you don't need to rub our faces in it, okay? (Believe me, we're moping around without your help. )

BUT, for all you sports fans out there: The game ain't over till the fat lady sings. :mixed-metaphor-smiley:

The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Theseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2003, 20:35   #54
Hot_Enamel
Emperor

Theseus,

The more GS whine about sledging and poking harmless fun.
The more GS remind us about members leaving or threatening to leave.

The more GS comes across as a bunch of spoilt brats rather than the strategic professionals that we all know your team are.

RP has had to cop a lot more than any other team, and yet they gave as much as they got, and certainly do not whine half as much as GS.

If members of your team would rather push pixel’s around than deal with the human interaction, then they should not read the public forum.

Many GS members still fail to accept that they have no-one to blame for their current situation other than themselves.
There is no gang up on GS.
There has never been a gang up on GS

GS chose the wrong diplomatic path.
GS chose (and they did have a choice) the wrong allies.
GS finds themselves in their current situation, because of their choices.
Not because they are Irish.

Darekills poem is nothing more than harmless fun.
I am glad we agree.

And finally just a public note, yourself & Cort need to be congratulated on the fine diplomacy that your team now seems willing to engage in.
Old December 1, 2003, 21:37   #55
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Theseus and Cort Haus have shored up our diplomacy considerably.

Thank you for your insight into the failings of our team, HotEnamel, we sure are appreciative.
Old December 1, 2003, 22:30   #56
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx
I am sick of it. I for one have found writting the most fun out of this game.
Me too. I literally got so sick of GS whining everytime a RNG number didn't go perfectly in their game mechanics favor that I haven't even looked at a save since August.

(That and the fact that ND doesn't send me the save due to technical issues.)

All I do is look at the pretty pictures and make uneducated comments.

Sheesh, that sounds pathetic................
GhengisFarb™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2003, 23:41   #57
lmtoops
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCiv4 SP Democracy Game
King

Quote:
Originally posted by OPD
Imagine a young Irish child who goes to school one day. He plays a game of marbles agianst 3 English children. In the game the 3 English kids gang up on him and beat him. Then they start poking fun at him saying they are better than him etc etc. He has a pretty big go back at them but is generally upset, as everyone else ganged up on him.
Later he tells the teacher. Is he right too?
The other kids will obviously say that he was mean to them back. Perhaps even suggesting the Irish kids "cries them a river". The 3 children will find it hard to understand why the other child got so upset and perhaps accuse him of whining. Whereas the Irish kid cannot understand why the other 3 behaved the way they did.
I'm confused....who is the Irish kid and who are the English kids?

I think you need a few more English kids for the story to make sense (but I'm half Spanish...so what do I know). On second thought, I don't think anything could help this story.
lmtoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2003, 01:45   #58
vondrack
lifer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Hot_Enamel
And finally just a public note, yourself & Cort need to be congratulated on the fine diplomacy that your team now seems willing to engage in.
I can only agree with this comment.
Old December 2, 2003, 02:32   #59
Darekill
PtWDG2 Monty PythonC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Neu Demogyptica
Prince

Wow....
Wow. I just read all the post that you wrote while I was sleeping.
If I would have had an idea of what I was starting here with my stupid little rhymes, I think I would have kept them for myself.

First of all. I agree it is not nice to rub someones face but hey, I'm not here to be mister nice guy you know?

I'm here to play I deal and get dealt. I expect reading lines how miserably ND plays this game and how bad their last turn was. I can live with it maybe even learn something. I don't mind if people come and tell me that we choose the wrong allies especialy if they don't know a damn about the alliance.

I wait to see the day that my allies choose to cheat us and face up against us and we would loose the game miserably, though I don't hope that this happenes I know that it could happen.

I know that I would be part of the songs they would sing and that I would not be the hero. This is not my first DG and I know what it means to get mocked. But I know, that they don't mock me but the character that plays this game. Enemys of old become good friends in the next game and vice versa.

It has nothing to do with you or me but only with the game.

So come on lighten up. No harm was meant to you.

Next time I guess I think twice before writing anything here but I regret it a lot.....
Old December 2, 2003, 06:12   #60
Harovan
staff

I didn't find your poem insulting or anything like this. I just found it superfluous and in terms of poetry terribly bad, but that's in the eye of the beholder. I'm sure that is what OPD meant, too. Others may have a different taste and actually enjoy it. More power to them. For me, it's somehow the same as if I would try to sing. I could do it for certain, but I'm very sure anyone who hears me and is not completely tone-deaf, would hate me for it.

What concerns our team being itself responsible for the outcome so far, so that is of course also true. If notyoueither does turn x, Sir Ralph turn x+1 and Theseus turn x+2 without having consulted each other about their intentions and particularly taking back the actions of the other part due to the lack of communication or making stupid moves due to the misinterpretation of a typo, nothing good can result out of this. At a point after the last mocking campaign (don't outcry again, it's not blaming anyone and just meant as time reference) the interest in our team had dropped to almost zero. The loss of both of our active players at the same time (nbarclay and Aeson), with others only half-hearted stepping in (due to both time restraints and the lack of interest), hurt much and left the once well-organized team in a more than sorry state. In fact, we played the last 20-30 turns worse than an AI would have. The AI may have a bad plan, but at least it has one. We had none, at a time, at least no visible. This has changed in the last few turns with Theseus and Cort Haus organizing our team work.

I will do my best to help them, even though I have finally understood that democracy games are nothing I enjoy. I'm not much of a chatter and only occasionally enjoy some role playing. And I simply hate trash talking and tend to despise trash talkers. I will stick with the teams I am in, because despite what people may think of me after the stunt I pulled in the ISDG (protesting the tinpot dictator behavior of ... erm ... some "consuls"), I am not a quitter. And although my activity in the first game is currently very low, I still do 99% of the team work in the second game. It's the team you're in too, Darekill, you know. I will step back and drop my activity to near-zero in that game too, when the time comes.

Sorry if sounds harsh at some point, but that's what I think.