Old December 6, 2003, 19:39   #151
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 05:37
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I wasn't referring to a mod...

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Master Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6, 2003, 23:05   #152
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Local Time: 07:37
Quote:
Originally posted by Kloreep

There's no button for it, but there are two methods around it:
1) open up a new window for each post's "reply with quote" link and cut & paste them all into one
2) Open up one reply with quote, then copy the other posts from the "topic review" below the reply box and copy the formatting for them.

+1
Kloreep - thank you! I have been using method 2. I just assumed there was an easier and more efficient approach.

OK GF. I promise - no more triple posts.
Old December 10, 2003, 10:04   #153
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 23:37
Apologies for inflicting this on people. I had hoped to do a poem like UnO's beautiful first post, or Darekill's fine effort, but it IS 3am, and I really wanted to post something a little cheery. So here, you go, read on at your own peril.

Take THIS PtWDG forum!

There once was a mighty quest,
To see MrWIA dead UnOrthOdOx would not rest,
He traveled along with his slave,
Needing badly a shave,
To which even a bear would attest

Into battles galore he would ride,
Whilst slashing down Spaniards with pride,
Searching in vain,
All through the plain,
"Where the f*** are you?" he cried.

A perplexed WIA was on the run
He couldn't understand this foul-fanged hun
Said to himself one day
"Why would he come all this way?"
"I wonder if it was 'cos I killed his son?'

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
MrWhereItsAt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2003, 10:06   #154
Ennet
PtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
Prince

Local Time: 12:37
cheeers mrWIA

A.D 300, after 5h of playing DonHomer said: "looks like civ2 could be a good way to kill time if i can get the hang of it :P"
Ennet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2003, 10:13   #155
rendelnep
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Monty PythonC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Ankh-MorporkCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

And that is the anwser to why GOW invaded spain
rendelnep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2003, 10:26   #156
Aidun
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC4WDG Huygen's UnionC4BtSDG TemplarsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 13:37
MWIA, I couldn't wait to see them posted

Great poem I'll see if I can write one too. I was trying to compose a movie of the fall of Spain with fragments of The Two Towers, but unfortuately, Adobe Première doesn't accept my xvid codec in some way, because I can't properly edit it.

Aidun
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise can not see all ends." - J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring.
Term 9 and 10 Domestic Minister of the C3DG I., Term 8 Regional Governor of Old Persia in the C3DG and proud citizen of Apolyton. Royal Ambassador to Legoland in the C3 PTW DG, Foreign Affairs Minister and King of the United Kingdom in the MZO C3CDG and leader of the Monarchist Imperialist team. Moody Sir Aidun (The Impatient) of the Holy Templar Order in the C4BtSDG
Aidun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2003, 13:21   #157
Ennet
PtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
Prince

hehe now that would be nice! :-)

A.D 300, after 5h of playing DonHomer said: "looks like civ2 could be a good way to kill time if i can get the hang of it :P"
Old December 10, 2003, 13:58   #158
Ennet
Prince

Ok here is something from the Glory of War:

Song of the Glorious

Blood will float as swords sweat
Men will die and widows weep
Friend and foe will fall alike
When we rush out in the Glory of War

Our regiments rein the field once more
But after the slaughter it will be as before
Foes to fight, and nothing to adore
When we ride out in the Glory of War

Smoke lay thick as houses burn
Death and destruction will follow our turn
No matter where, close or afar
When we march out in the Glory of War

Friends fear as challengers charge
Men die by the archers’ award
Humiliations’ habit will repeat
When we sing out in the Glory of War

Stones rain, causing death and pain
Our end won’t be pleasant nor plain
The last minute spent alone
When we fall in the Glory of War

Old December 10, 2003, 14:09   #159
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

That is very good, Ennet.
notyoueither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2003, 14:23   #160
Ennet
Prince

Thanks a lot :-) And well donegeal helped me to fix up the details :-)

Old December 10, 2003, 18:28   #161
Hot_Enamel
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 22:37
Superb gentlemen
Old December 10, 2003, 23:36   #162
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Ennet.

And MWIA too.

But I really like Ennet's.
Old December 11, 2003, 03:03   #163
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Ennet:

Beta: a new limerick contest about the Bob war?
--Woody Allen
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2003, 03:22   #164
Darekill
PtWDG2 Monty PythonC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Neu Demogyptica
Prince

I like that.
Thanks for this. It truely adds to the game I think. Much more than any Flamewars....

And just a bit of Prosa..

A Heroes Tale.

He was a hero they said. The youngsters from the Glory of War told him that. The brave old men from the BASF told him too. He was a hero indeed.

His father used to tell him not to enter the frontranks in a battle. "It's not the first row to celebrate the victory" he used to say "but those who mob up the rests." An old mans advise, he thought. What does he know. He never sat in a saddle. He never felt the nervous power of a proud mare that is dancing and prancing in anticipation of a forthcomming charge. He knew. He was a BASF! One of the best Ansar that Neu Demogyptica had. At least that was it what his intructors told him back home in Stonedina. He remembered the day they rode out of the town.

Mayor Stonewall Jackson himself stood in front of the hundred young men on their horses. He did not say much, Stonie as they used to call him was never a man of many words. He was just standing there looking with a determined expression in his eyes and said one word only. "Go!" And they did go. They started riding out of the city with a song on their lipps like all of the BASF do when they charge or ride along. Singing and fighting is one. It sometimes chilled the bones of the enemy to hear the sound alone and that was something that made this unit unique.

They arrived just in time for the attack. The battle was close at hand and not all of them felt realy like singing. The tension in the air was so high, that one could hear the sound of a falling leave when it gently touched the ground.

Then their leader began to sing. "We rode in the morning..."
A thousend voices joined in "Arnablanca to the West!..."

They started to charge right away sining "From the Dreizack mountain foothills leading down to old Leon..".

He couldn't fall back! No way he could hold his horse back. He had to be one of the first to encounter the enemy and he was. He fought and it was a great fight. He was stinging and slabing and thrusting and slashing and hiting and killing all the way through the enemys ranks. He was the one to encourage those which had almost lost all their heart as they saw how strong the opposing knights were armored.

Then it was over.

His friend, had to tell him that he should consult a healer. He had not noticed the wound that was there on his side. Had not seen that some of the blood around him was his own. He did not care that there were a certain pain which craweld up from his haunches up to his chest. Suddendly he was tired. very tired indeed and he was falling. Down. Closer to the mother earth. The very ground which was the reason for the fighting. The soil which was the future for his land, his sons and daughters to be. He never realised that he reached it. He lost his consciousness.

The next he remebered was a young lass that bend over him.
"Ah he's awake." she said with the voice of an angel. "How will he take the news?".
The doctor came and talked to him. It was clear that something had happened to him. He had to realise that he was missing his left leg.

It took him weeks but he gained back his strength and they gave him a wooden leg but he'd never ride again. They send him back to Stonedina and told him that he was a true Hero.

Now he is on his way again. A hero, a beggar, a cripple. some people show pitty to him and give him food and drinks. Sometimes he even gets some coins when he tells his story but not many because there were a lot of heroes around these days. Far to many...

Edit: removed some typos and changed it a bit...

Last edited by Darekill; December 12, 2003 at 02:49.
Darekill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2003, 10:28   #165
Aidun
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC4WDG Huygen's UnionC4BtSDG TemplarsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

And that gives a man to think.

It is beautiful

Most beautiful of all is the contrast between Ennet's poem and Darekill's tale.

Aidun
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise can not see all ends." - J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring.
Term 9 and 10 Domestic Minister of the C3DG I., Term 8 Regional Governor of Old Persia in the C3DG and proud citizen of Apolyton. Royal Ambassador to Legoland in the C3 PTW DG, Foreign Affairs Minister and King of the United Kingdom in the MZO C3CDG and leader of the Monarchist Imperialist team. Moody Sir Aidun (The Impatient) of the Holy Templar Order in the C4BtSDG
Aidun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2003, 13:52   #166
Ennet
Prince

nice story, i liked it a lot :-) specially the moral of it :-)

Old December 13, 2003, 19:34   #167
Beta
lifer
Deity

Darekill -
Old December 14, 2003, 18:51   #168
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!

Hey, at least your hero is still alive...

(j/k)

Well written, indeed.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Theseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2003, 03:08   #169
Darekill
Prince

Thanks. It was upon me to prove that I can do better than to write silly little poems
Old December 15, 2003, 05:06   #170
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Sehr gut Herr Darekill

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old December 15, 2003, 08:03   #171
Darekill
Prince

Vielen Dank Herr Master Zen!
Du darfst mich aber ruhig duzen

Translation:
Thank's a lot Mr. Master Zen!
You can say you to me

(I know that the last sentence doesn't make any sense to you but in germany there are two words for the english "you". There is the formal form "Sie" which is used in the context of "Herr soundso" and the informal "Du" so if he would have said "Sehr gut Darekill" it would have been informal. The "Du" form but since he used "Herr" it was the formal form. In german foren we almost exclusively use the informal "du" form to talk to each other. End of german lesson)

Last edited by Darekill; December 15, 2003 at 08:11.
Darekill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2003, 06:53   #172
rendelnep
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Monty PythonC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Ankh-MorporkCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

Wow i haven't had a german lesson for four years 'Ich bin ein bedliner" Stupid failing school system
rendelnep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2003, 09:52   #173
Darekill
Prince

You are a... ???
Berliner?
Never mind.
Old December 16, 2003, 10:00   #174
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Vielleicht "bedliner" war in Englisch He is a "bed liner"
--Woody Allen
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2003, 01:48   #175
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Well, since we are straying as off-topic as possible:

There are a bunch of us who are fans of an English comedian named Eddie Izzard. In one of his skits, he goes on about how JFK said "Ich bin ein Berliner" and that that is wrong in the German language, in that it says he is a pastry (which is pretty funny)... and that instead he should have said "Ich bin Berliner".

Yes?

No?
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Theseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2003, 02:58   #176
Darekill
Prince

Oh, to be quite honest. Beeing a nativ german I never figured out what sounded so funny with "Ich bin ein Berliner". It is absolutely correct to say that and it realy means "I am one of the citizens of Berlin". But the second sentence you used the shorter form "Ich bin Berliner" is more usual by far and if at all possible more correct there is no doubt about the meaning it's more like "I'm a citizen of Berlin".

So now to the Pastry thing. Yes there is a certain pastry which in some parts of germany is called "Berliner". It is comparable to a doughnut but without the hole in the middle. In Berlin however this is pastry is called a "Krapfen" not to mix up with "Karpfen" the fish.

No one with any brain in his mind would do a statemen which would say "Ich bin ein Krapfen" so germans wouldn't understand JFK's statement in that way though I must admit that it can indeed be read like that if one has bad intends....
Old December 17, 2003, 09:52   #177
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Heh, interesting Darekill. Thanks for that.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Arrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2003, 16:14   #178
Master Zen
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Darekill

(I know that the last sentence doesn't make any sense to you but in germany there are two words for the english "you". There is the formal form "Sie" which is used in the context of "Herr soundso" and the informal "Du" so if he would have said "Sehr gut Darekill" it would have been informal. The "Du" form but since he used "Herr" it was the formal form. In german foren we almost exclusively use the informal "du" form to talk to each other. End of german lesson)
That's actually one of the few things which is similar between german and spanish. Here, the "du" is "tu" and the "Sie" is "usted". Like in Germany we only use the "usted" when talking either to an older person, someone of respect, or someone of higher rank. Then again, usage varies among countries, in Costa Rica for example, everyone uses "usted" for everything, even with your family, friends and girlfriends.

(beendet hier die spanische Lektion)

Old December 17, 2003, 17:02   #179
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Same in Czech - ty (=du) & Vy (=Sie).
vondrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2003, 17:15   #180
badams52
King

Local Time: 03:37
I think English is one of the few languages that don't have the you and you formal distiction. Though you could make a case for sir and madam being you formal. Another thing missing from English: one word for you plural. (and don't tell me y'all is it )