Have fun!
Slax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2003, 05:44   #2
korn469
Emperor

Local Time: 06:38
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
In addition to the unique units for the new civs, there are nine new units available to all players. An early naval unit that doesn't require resources can help you scout out your coastline, while a late era anti-tank unit (also not requiring any resources) can shift the weight towards the defensive player. There are some small tweaks to most of the existing units in the game as well. For the most part, these changes are fairly minor but the new defensive first strike capability of musketeers and the enslavement potential of some of the naval units definitely change the pace of the game. Bombers can now destroy ships through bombardment and submarines can choose which unit to attack when going up against a stack of enemies. Both these additions make these units much more effective than they were previously
defensive first strike? i bet that means zero range bombardment...
nine new units
1. curagh(sp?)
2. trebuchet
3. tow infantry
4. modern marines
5. modern paratroopers
6. tow infantry
7. anti-aircraft
8. ???
9. ???

Quote:
Beyond that, the team has addressed a number of smaller issues that have a profound effect on the pace of the game. You can clear forests now in half the time it used to take, for instance. On the other hand, the maximum research time has been increased from 40 to 50 years. Players who rely on that 40-turn ceiling will find themselves falling farther and farther behind now. (Although, if it's taking you 40 turns, there are plenty of other problems to be dealt with.) Hurrying production is now 50% more expensive than it was before, making those rush jobs much more costly
hmmmm...i'm not sure if i like these changes or not, especially the 50% hurry, but i'm looking forward to conquests

Last edited by korn469; November 1, 2003 at 05:50.
korn469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2003, 05:46   #3
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 13:38
Sounded like a well balanced and fair review.
alva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2003, 07:30   #4
Doc Tsiolkovski
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:38
Sounds good. Well- informed, and clearly written by someone who knows and understands the game (though it looks like he didn't play every single Conquest, but Hey, he does focus on the Epic Game anyway). And it gives away a surprising amount of information.
The only thing that seems strange is that it gets nearly the same score as ptw, but in the hindsight I guess the ptw score was too good...

Did you notice the Republic part btw? Do you have any idea how much this will change the Gov choices ?

Last edited by Doc Tsiolkovski; November 1, 2003 at 07:38.
Doc Tsiolkovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2003, 07:44   #5
Stuie
King

Local Time: 07:38
Quote:
Originally posted by korn469

nine new units
1. curagh(sp?)
2. trebuchet
3. tow infantry
4. modern marines
5. modern paratroopers
6. tow infantry
7. anti-aircraft
8. ???
9. ???
Looks like you need more question marks. He may be including the Ancient Cavalry and Crusader units that are produced by wonders (Zeus and Knights Templar respectively).

I thought this was interesting too...

Quote:
The English and Carthaginians are seafaring people now, while the Celts and Iroquois are agricultural.
And Fall of Rome lost even more of whatever appeal it had left, seeing as you cannot play either Roman faction. Boring. Oh well, Rise of Rome sounds very cool.

Good review from someone who seems to have put in a lot of time playing Civ over the years. Now back to waiting.
Stuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2003, 07:47   #6
Stuie
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tsiolkovski
Did you notice the Republic part btw? Do you have any idea how much this will change the Gov choices ?
Ah, you mean this:

Quote:
Republican governments will find it much harder to wage war now as their unit support cost has been doubled. That's right, doubled. While it sounds harsh, it definitely helps emphasize the distinction between the warmongering governments and the more peaceful ones.
I already modded Republic to have double support costs, and it's still the best government.
Old November 1, 2003, 09:32   #7
Fried-Psitalon
Civilization IV: MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC4DG Sarantium
Official Civilization IV Strategy Guide Co-Author

I think you may find Republic's dominance of the governments to be at an end.
Fried-Psitalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2003, 09:33   #8
Saint Marcus
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 12:38
Quote:
And Fall of Rome lost even more of whatever appeal it had left, seeing as you cannot play either Roman faction.
To the Editor!
Old November 1, 2003, 09:35   #9
Fried-Psitalon
Civilization IV: MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC4DG Sarantium
Official Civilization IV Strategy Guide Co-Author

Quote:
Originally posted by Fried-Psitalon
I think you may find Republic's dominance of the governments to be at an end.
RE: Fall Of Rome and playing Rome - when you see the scenario, you'll understand why the "Romes" were made unplayable.
Fried-Psitalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2003, 10:58   #10
Chronus
Prince

Quote:
Republican governments will find it much harder to wage war now as their unit support cost has been doubled. That's right, doubled. While it sounds harsh, it definitely helps emphasize the distinction between the warmongering governments and the more peaceful ones.
Hmmm . . .

Well, I'm no expert but, considering the fact that I'm a peaceful builder . . . will this further my cause by forcing warmongers to use the warmonging govs (and, thus, reducing their research)?

Or will it only penalize the peace-builders by forcing them to use a war government (to maintain a large military) in a game that is ultimately won by the civ with the largest military?
Chronus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2003, 10:58   #11
Stuie
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Fried-Psitalon
RE: Fall Of Rome and playing Rome - when you see the scenario, you'll understand why the "Romes" were made unplayable.
I understand from reading the review why they are not playable. I'm just saying that's not what I'm interested in; everything I've seen about this particular conquest has just been disappointing.

As for Republic, I hope you're right; having one government that works (or can be made to work) for everything diminishes from an otherwise enjoyable game.

@Saint Marcus - let me know if you want any help with your Fall of Rome scenario. I'd be happy to playtest or collaborate or whatever. You can PM me if you're interested.
Old November 1, 2003, 12:02   #12
Kaos XIII
Warlord

Finally, a glimpse of the long-awaited Napoleonic Scenario.

However, it appears northern Egypt has been left off. What's up with that???
Old November 1, 2003, 13:38   #13
littlechief
Settler

Legions can also build roads - do you know if this will just be in scenarios or the regular game. That would be huge in the regular game.
littlechief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2003, 14:53   #14
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

dont forget to take a look at the screenshot thread , loads of new info there , way more then in the preview

link below in sig

enjoy

have a nice day
Panag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2003, 15:01   #15
TechWins
King

Local Time: 04:38
Quote:
That could really add some complexity to battles, especially with modding.

This part
Quote:
An early naval unit that doesn't require resources can help you scout out your coastline
Depending on where this unit is on the tech chart this could play a big impact on the game I think. Already discovering the map is way too easy, so I don't like the idea of that. However, if the trireme (is that what it's still called in Civ3 lol?) requires a resource to be built, then I might like this idea. I'm thinkin this is definitely going to be something that could be great for modding, because I don't think the Civ3 team will balance this right. The modding part of it is still good, though.

Hopefully this
Quote:
Communist leaders can now create a Secret Police headquarters that acts as a second Forbidden Palace.
entices more civs to play as a Communism. However, will the AI now when to properly become a Communism (i.e. large military, spread out civ)?

I don't think I like this at all
Quote:
As far as agriculture goes, it's really great when combined with the short-lived advantages of the expansionist trait.
I'll probably just wind up turning off civ traits if I think it's even more unbalanced, and I think it's unbalanced enough as it is.

I'd prob say more, but I gotta get going. Overall, I think this expansion pack will only be good if a lot more options are given in the editor, else I don't think it's going to serve that much purpose to me, since I don't play scenarios very often.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
TechWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2003, 15:25   #16
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 05:38
I like what I read. Lots of good-sounding stuff in the game.
ixnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2003, 15:41   #17
Louis XXIV
C4WDG Stratega
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by TechWins

Quote:
That could really add some complexity to battles, especially with modding.
It already exists. But they are probably using it to make Musketeers better.

Quote:
Quote:
An early naval unit that doesn't require resources can help you scout out your coastline
This part Depending on where this unit is on the tech chart this could play a big impact on the game I think. Already discovering the map is way too easy, so I don't like the idea of that. However, if the trireme (is that what it's still called in Civ3 lol?) requires a resource to be built, then I might like this idea. I'm thinkin this is definitely going to be something that could be great for modding, because I don't think the Civ3 team will balance this right. The modding part of it is still good, though.
The Curragh is available with Alphabet. My guess is that the Galley (not Trireme) won't require resources. Map Trading has been pushed back to Navigation, so it will take longer before the entire map is explored.

Quote:
Quote:
Communist leaders can now create a Secret Police headquarters that acts as a second Forbidden Palace.
Hopefully this entices more civs to play as a Communism. However, will the AI now when to properly become a Communism (i.e. large military, spread out civ)?
I hope so

Quote:
I don't think I like this at all
Quote:
As far as agriculture goes, it's really great when combined with the short-lived advantages of the expansionist trait.
I'll probably just wind up turning off civ traits if I think it's even more unbalanced, and I think it's unbalanced enough as it is.
Agricultural civs get an extra food in their center square (but you won't notice it until you get a better government because of the Despotism penalty), if you are next to water, you will get that extra 1 food from start, though. Irrigated Desert squares produce more food the normal. And you get cheaper Aquaducts, Recycling Centers, and Solar Plants.

I don't think it is too unbalanced. Besides, the Inca (Agricultural, Expansionist) have a fairly poor uu.
Old November 1, 2003, 16:07   #18
TechWins
King

Local Time: 04:38
Quote:
It already exists. But they are probably using it to make Musketeers better.
Yeah I know it exists, but can it be used the way this review is describing it? Does it work right now where if you have a bombard strength above 0 and a range of 0 when you get attacked you first use your bombard ability then it goes into the real battle? I've never tried or even though about that before.

Quote:
The Curragh is available with Alphabet. My guess is that the Galley (not Trireme) won't require resources. Map Trading has been pushed back to Navigation, so it will take longer before the entire map is explored.
Yeah, I haven't played much Civ3 lately, and I remember everything by Civ2 still. I made the same change to my Civ3 game where map trading is pushed back to Navigation and same goes with the Communications switch. I thought it was cool Civ3 is doing this, since I'm already doing it in my games anyways. Even with the change the map is still explored very rapidly. Now adding a unit that comes even earlier than the Galley will only make it come faster for the map being explored, especially if the Curragh (you say it is) has a 3 movement. I'm anticipating that the Curragh won't be able to transport any units, but when the Galley becomes available you'll know exactly where to expand to overseas. This will only mean that overseas imperialism will come sooner in the game, and I personally don't think that will improve gameplay. I'm almost positive I'm going to change around the Curragh and Galley.

Quote:
I don't think it is too unbalanced.
Agricultural is an awesome trait to have I think. Maybe to good. Also, with the rate increase from Industrious being decreased I think the Americans (and any other Civ that may be Expansionist and Industrious (I don't have them all memorized) ) with at a huge disadvantage. Well, for me at least, because I like to play on random type maps. When you are placed on a smaller island with another nation your Expanionist trait is nearly useless. A lot of times this happens to me. This why I believe I'll eventually be turning off the specific Civ-traits. Btw, I typically only play with the Americans, or I randomize my Civ.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
TechWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2003, 16:41   #19
Louis XXIV
C4WDG Stratega
Prince

Quote:
nine new units
1. curagh(sp?)
2. trebuchet
3. tow infantry
4. modern marines
5. modern paratroopers
6. tow infantry
7. anti-aircraft
8. ???
9. ???
I know there are:

Curraghs
Trebuchets
TOW Infantry
Flak Cannons
Mobile SAMS
Modern Paratroopers
Ancient Cavalry (produced with the Statue of Zeus)
Crusaders (Knights templar)

That's 8, so you might be right about Modern Marines.
Old November 1, 2003, 19:01   #20
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
For the Roman player, whose Legions can also build roads, you can develop a fairly convenient road network relatively early in the game without sacrificing your military development
wow, i really like this idea. it may slow down your attack slightly, but you can send your first units building the roads while the other units are still being built! great idea

edit: oops, i just saw this has been said before
Old November 2, 2003, 00:39   #21
Panag
Emperor

hi ,

for more info like air regiments and such , visit the picture thread , link below in sig

have a nice day
Old November 2, 2003, 02:01   #22
publius
Settler

my guess is the ninth unit is a cruiser, added to the main game from the ww2 scenario because it will have anti-air ability. otherwise with the strengthened naval bombard you won't have a good defense until aegis, which is very late.
publius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2003, 11:13   #23
Saint Marcus
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III Multiplayer
King

Quote:
@Saint Marcus - let me know if you want any help with your Fall of Rome scenario. I'd be happy to playtest or collaborate or whatever. You can PM me if you're interested.
always. check your PM inbox.
Old November 2, 2003, 13:03   #24
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by publius
my guess is the ninth unit is a cruiser, added to the main game from the ww2 scenario because it will have anti-air ability. otherwise with the strengthened naval bombard you won't have a good defense until aegis, which is very late.
hi ,

well we shall have one huge advantage now , we can just take all these units from the scenario's and put them into one big super game , .....

WHO - AAH

have a nice day
Old November 2, 2003, 18:43   #25
SirOsis
Civilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Still no mention on how the multiplayer is. Are we going to be able to play the conquests multiplayer even if there are only 8 civs and how will that work?
SirOsis is offline   Reply With Quote