Old November 1, 2003, 07:09   #1
Space05us
King

Local Time: 23:39
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Kotor
which parts of the game do you like/hate the most?

I for one HATE the Taris undercity, its one big duneon crawl. But then again I guess the entire game is, but at least they talk more on the other planets. Not to mention it seems like youre on Taris for effing ever

alien speech is annoying, just loops of a few different "sayings".
Old November 1, 2003, 09:39   #2
DaShi
Emperor

Local Time: 11:39
Waiting for the PC version...
Old November 1, 2003, 11:00   #3
Space05us
King

im sure the pc version will be far better than the xbox version.
Old November 1, 2003, 13:28   #4
reds4ever
Prince

Local Time: 12:39
Quote:
Originally posted by Space05us
im sure the pc version will be far better than the xbox version.
why? will you be able to play it on a 36' TV in surround sound with your feet up on the sofa?
Old November 1, 2003, 13:41   #5
Space05us
King

touche, but I was thinking more about them weeding out the annoying little things that are in the x-box version.
Old November 1, 2003, 23:41   #6
DaShi
Emperor

I just don't have an X-box.
Old November 14, 2003, 15:07   #7
lord of the mark
Deity

Local Time: 07:39
Quote:
Originally posted by DaShi
I just don't have an X-box.
i dont have an xbox either.
Old November 14, 2003, 21:30   #8
Space05us
King

*coughloserscough*

Old November 14, 2003, 22:54   #9
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by reds4ever

why? will you be able to play it on a 36' TV in surround sound with your feet up on the sofa?
Just curious... but does it actually give you a resolution higher then 640x480 for the 36' TV? I would hate to imagine how ugly it'd be if it didn't.

Do It Ourselves
Old November 14, 2003, 23:23   #10
Space05us
King

Osweld you're missing the point.
Old November 14, 2003, 23:28   #11
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

What, the sofa? Ever thought of puting a recliner infront of your computer desk?

Do It Ourselves
Old November 15, 2003, 09:02   #12
Space05us
King

Quote:
What, the sofa? Ever thought of puting a recliner infront of your computer desk?
some people just weren't made for console gaming...
Old November 16, 2003, 02:41   #13
reds4ever
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Osweld
stick with playing Civ3 at 1600x1200 sitting on a office workers chair then
Old November 19, 2003, 19:35   #14
child of Thor
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

..........and getting RSI on your mouse hand

So far i'm impressed by its overall quality and quantity. I'm at about 50hrs with just over half the planets 'done', ok its pretty liniar and i'm not sure i'll be bothered to play thru as a dark jedi once i've completed it - it would get so annoying to know all the dialogs and plot developments, even if slightly changed.

Bad points, the fact that if you want to shuffle stuff around in your inventory, you can only do it as 1 item per click(when you got 30+ grenades its a pain!).

But its definately keeping me interested and wanting to get thru to the end, and it really does get the star wars feel just right

It's up there with Halo and Morrowind as one of my essential xbox games.
'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.
Old November 19, 2003, 21:24   #15
Space05us
King

its more fun playing as a dark jedi, and they must have made HUGE changes unless you're just slow. I finished my first game in 31 hours 46 minutes
Old November 20, 2003, 15:51   #16
reds4ever
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by child of Thor
It's up there with Halo and Morrowind as one of my essential xbox games.
As far a comfort goes Morrowind is a case in point, if I'd have played that on a PC I may have had the patience to finish the main quest, but theres no way I'd have put as many hours into it with playing the sub-quests and generally wandering around making a nuisence of myself as I have on the XBox.
Old November 21, 2003, 08:20   #17
Asmodean
Civilization III Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 13:39
When TV's can handle a resolution of 1280x1024 or better, I may consider console gaming.

Not before that

Asmodean
Old November 22, 2003, 17:52   #18
child of Thor
Emperor

Quote:
its more fun playing as a dark jedi, and they must have made HUGE changes unless you're just slow. I finished my first game in 31 hours 46 minutes
My girlfriend says the same thing! she's nearly finished it a second time, now playing the dark side( ).
So i guess i am slow, but i've been milking all the sub plots and basically playing with my character combinations in various situations(and playing lots of pazak) - i'm fairly certain i've seen all each planet has to offer so far as a 'good' guy.
At one stage she was just a short bit behind me on her second game, but i was still finding things she had missed in the game

And in someways my console games on a 24" tv look better than my pc games on a 19"? so i'm not sure if the resolution is that much of a problem?(unless you sit right up close to your tv with your nose pressed against the screen ).

A couple more bad things: I'm not sure if having court cases in a game is a good(fun) thing........i mean we can get enough of that in real life?
Having doors that you can't enter, but look like you might be able to with the right person/gizmo but you just can't.
Not being able to enter what looks like a 'Yoda' type hut thing when you meet a certain character(i'm keeping it vauge). I think an opportunity was really missed here,even if it wouldn't have added much to the game, just the fact that you could go in and have a look around - most starwars fans would have loved to do it i think?

Xbox game of the year? I'd vote yes
'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Old November 22, 2003, 19:29   #19
Space05us
King

I think I'll play again and really take my time going through. Its kind of hard to enjoy though when half of the people you meet in the game are whining and *****ing about how shitty everything is. Its one of the reasons I was a dark jedi, I just couldnt take my party's whining anymore. So I switched to using Canderous and HK-47 and killed at every opportunity.

Do you ever win when playing pazak? When I played it I always lost so I gave up on trying anymore.
Old November 23, 2003, 15:21   #20
David Floyd
Emperor

I ****ING LOVE THIS GAME!

Got it on PC yesterday, and I played it from 12:00am to 1:00pm today. Only reason I stopped is to let my roommate try it out before he went to work, but I'll be playing more later.

Currently, my main character is a Level 12 soldier/Guardian Jedi (light side), wielding duel upgraded lightsabers
Old November 23, 2003, 16:49   #21
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 14:39
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

A good Star Wars game, believe it or not. Then again, it does take place millennia before the films.
Old November 23, 2003, 20:17   #22
David Floyd
Emperor

Oh my God this game is awesome...just played for another coupla hours, and my guy is up to Level 15.
Old November 24, 2003, 16:12   #23
child of Thor
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Kassiopeia
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

A good Star Wars game, believe it or not. Then again, it does take place millennia before the films.
i guess you are meaning the later films that are meant to precede the origonals(ie Jar Jar Binks[shudder!] etc..)?

I got another small gripe about KOTOR(I feel it needs them as its 99% so damn good).

Ok so it happens thousands of years before the films - so why does the technology seem so much more advanced? was there a decline in the republic during this time that it never recovered from? It puzzles me this one, a little

Oh yeah the trick with Pazak is getting/finding/buying some good cards to play with (the ones you can toggle between a +/- value are best). Never hold on anything less than 17 as a rule, seems to work ok. You can make some good money if you play enough against the right people
I think its meant to be the for-runner of the game that Han Solo won against Lando Calrissian, which got him the Milenium Falcon(sad mis-spent youth ).

Last edited by child of Thor; November 24, 2003 at 16:19.
Old November 25, 2003, 14:50   #24
David Floyd
Emperor

Swoop racing also seems pretty lucrative - if you win enough money between that and Pazaak, you can afford some NICE ****.
Old November 29, 2003, 03:39   #25
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Wooo... fun game so far.. though the memory loss (bug) is pretty damned annoying. Although I can get out of it by shutting down the game and restarting it.

Pazzak rocks, btw!

Quote:
Ok so it happens thousands of years before the films - so why does the technology seem so much more advanced? was there a decline in the republic during this time that it never recovered from?
Actually yes. When the Empire took over, technology stagnated and fell into disrepair. Then again whether that would make technology from 1000 years before more advanced is another matter.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old November 29, 2003, 09:45   #26
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

It's a nice game. I wish NWN had an engine similiar to this, provided that they could still have that great editor and modability.

Do It Ourselves
Old November 29, 2003, 10:51   #27
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Local Time: 06:39
Quote:

some people just weren't made for console gaming...
theyre called loners.
Old November 29, 2003, 15:47   #28
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:
theyre called loners
Or your betters .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old November 29, 2003, 16:57   #29
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 14:39
Quote:
i guess you are meaning the later films that are meant to precede the origonals(ie Jar Jar Binks[shudder!] etc..)?
The chronologically first trilogy and second trilogy take place in a time span of, what, a generation, roughly forty years or so, so it's really meaningless whether it's thousands of years before one or the other.

Quote:
Actually yes. When the Empire took over, technology stagnated and fell into disrepair. Then again whether that would make technology from 1000 years before more advanced is another matter.
A thousand years is a long time, I'm sure there were enough upheavals and whatnot to allow a few setbacks in technology, dark ages so to speak. Some Star Wars geek with the proper knowledge can fill in here.
Old November 29, 2003, 17:53   #30
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

My only complaint is that it rather... 'consoley'. The UI is obviously designed for the console, and although it isn't bad it is kind of strange for a computer game. Surprisingly intuitive, though.

The other thing I don't like is the teleport-back-to-base feature, and same for the changing party members at any time, at any place.... I also wish you could have more then two party members at a time, but oh well. The world design can feel a bit 'levelish' at times, aswell.

It's a great game, but it would've been even better had it been designed for the PC.

Do It Ourselves