Old November 1, 2003, 15:47   #1
Hippi
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:40
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Axis&Allies board game
Any players out there? I love the game, except it lacks some variation and the Allies are definetly overpowered per the 2.0 rules. My favourite country to play would be UK, then Japan, then Germany, then USSR...US blows if you ask me.

Balancing rules (common tournament):
Either: Russia may not attack at all first turn.
Or: Both players bid x IPCs to play the Allies; whomever bids the most get to play the Allies, the other get to place out that worth of IPCs however he wants to (this number lies around 20-22).
Or both, bids creep quite a bit lower then.

My own favourtie strategies are:
USSR; heavy infantry, retreat gradually and counterattack heavily ones Allies threaten Germany.
Germany: Go for Africa (build 1 more transport) while massing, start out with loads of men.
UK; Go factory in India, build fighters and tanks.
Japan; start out heavy transporter and men, build factories on 4th-6th turn and start owning Asia, take Australia and all that ****. Dont go Peral Harbor.
USA: Mass transports in atlantic and reclaim africa as well as threatening germany.
Old November 1, 2003, 15:52   #2
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 13:40
I only have the original rules but my strats:

Russia: basicly do nothing more then defend, build infantry.

Germany: Clear the seas around britain and build up tanks for the assault on Russia.

Japan: Take over east Asia in the first 2 rounds, build factory's and join Germany in the fight for Russia.

England: Basicly all they can do is build airforce and make strategic bombing raids into Germany.

US: Land in Africa and move east from there.
Old November 1, 2003, 15:55   #3
reds4ever
Prince

Local Time: 12:40
Re: Axis&Allies board game
Quote:
Originally posted by Hippi
Any players out there? I love the game, except it lacks some USSR; heavy infantry, retreat gradually and counterattack heavily ones Allies threaten Germany.
Where on earth did you get the idea for that strategy?
Old November 1, 2003, 15:55   #4
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 05:40
I play it occasionally

Jo Miller
Old November 1, 2003, 16:16   #5
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 06:40
My son and I play occasionally. IMO if Germany doesn't have success with an initial overwhelming attack then they are doomed.
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old November 1, 2003, 16:16   #6
Zylka
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 11:40
I am a fanatic of this game, and will win with any country

Actually myself, DanS and DavidFloyd play an internet rip called "DogsofWar" which for all purpose is the same game. We should set one up!
Old November 1, 2003, 16:37   #7
nato
Prince

I always loved this game. However playing online kind of turned it into a super repetitive optimization exercise. The shuck and infantry push mechanic rule supreme. Plus after online you can't really play full out with offline ppl because the skill level is too different.

It is a classic though. A long time ago, I was so into it I painted my own larger playing custom map and made a bunch of new rules and units. That was a lot of fun.

Even without all that, just a few changes could really shake it up. Lessening the dominance of infantry, obstructing the shuck, and making a little more room for error on G1 could really open it up.
Old November 1, 2003, 22:05   #8
NeOmega
Prince

Local Time: 03:40
Quote:
Originally posted by atawa
I only have the original rules but my strats:

Russia: basicly do nothing more then defend, build infantry.

Germany: Clear the seas around britain and build up tanks for the assault on Russia.

Japan: Take over east Asia in the first 2 rounds, build factory's and join Germany in the fight for Russia.

England: Basicly all they can do is build airforce and make strategic bombing raids into Germany.

US: Land in Africa and move east from there.
Thats pretty much how I play it. I feel the game is well balanced. I have seen every country have a smashing success.
Old November 1, 2003, 22:09   #9
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Russia: go on the offensive and take 2-3 of Germany's territories on my first turn, buy Infantry for fodder and kill them with my Fighters.
Old November 1, 2003, 22:17   #10
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Local Time: 11:40
If I have sturdy allies in UK and USA, I like playing a hyper offensive Russia....(even better if I'm just playing ALL the allies)

With the Axis, I much prefer Japan over Germany (whose strategy is almost entirely determined by what the allies do...too much of a straight jacket for my tastes)....contrast that with Japan tho, who has a TOTALLY wide-open array of choices...good stuff!

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old November 1, 2003, 22:25   #11
vlad
King

Local Time: 04:40
Quote:
Originally posted by Zylka
I am a fanatic of this game, and will win with any country

Actually myself, DanS and DavidFloyd play an internet rip called "DogsofWar" which for all purpose is the same game. We should set one up!
I have played A&A Iron Blitz online before, it's such a simple PC game it's great for a beer and pretzels night. I will have to see if I can find my old cd again or just download a copy to play.
I spent many a night playing the boardgame version in college. The group I played with were all the local DJs in town, so we would get together after gigs at 3am sunday morning and start a game all the way through monday morning.
Old November 1, 2003, 23:21   #12
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

I'd be all for setting up an A&A group at Apoly.
Old November 1, 2003, 23:39   #13
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 19:40
Quote:
Originally posted by GhengisFarb
Russia: go on the offensive and take 2-3 of Germany's territories on my first turn, buy Infantry for fodder and kill them with my Fighters.
I won't do that, just take over the regions one by one. That way any German counterattacks will be met by stiff resistance, and it can't very well defend on two fronts.
Old November 2, 2003, 01:16   #14
GePap
Emperor

I think an aggressive opening Russia move really breaks up germany.

I love the game (own it, and used to be able to set up the board from memory), but I hated the fact that fine startegy went down the tubes once the dies roled. Which is why I like less random war games. I can;t stand a great plan outdone by constantly rolling ones!
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old November 2, 2003, 02:12   #15
BKWM
C3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Warlord

I play it nearly every day!I can set up the board by heart and prefer Axis to Allies. I would definantly support making an A&A Apolyton group.
Old November 2, 2003, 02:34   #16
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

BKWM is my son. He plays A & A relentlessly. If a group is formed I would recomend having him on your side. He is far to good at it.
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old November 2, 2003, 02:38   #17
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

The Allies are way too powerful even when Russia can't attack first turn.

Unless Germany is extremely agressive and lucky, the Axis with lose.
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Old November 2, 2003, 02:44   #18
Space05us
King

Local Time: 23:40
I remember one time playing as the US I did something absolutely no one was expecting. For a few turns I saved my I.P.C.s, being a common sight among the people I play with they knew I was going to attack somewhere. Germany started bulking up Europe and Japan started saving thier I.P.C.s. I bought a crap load of Transports and Infantry and put them off the east coast. Needless to say Russia got raped by Japan right after that happend. I moved my fleet up to the European continent and unloaded into Spain!! The German player obviously **** thier pants and moved everything to the Spanish border, and on the English players next turn (they too had been saving IPCs) they invaded the German homeland. Germany was quickly out of the game and Japan was soon crushed. unfortuantly after that game the rule was made that you couldn't move through the neutral territorys at all.
Old November 2, 2003, 03:16   #19
BKWM
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Space05us
I remember one time playing as the US I did something absolutely no one was expecting. For a few turns I saved my I.P.C.s, being a common sight among the people I play with they knew I was going to attack somewhere. Germany started bulking up Europe and Japan started saving thier I.P.C.s. I bought a crap load of Transports and Infantry and put them off the east coast. Needless to say Russia got raped by Japan right after that happend. I moved my fleet up to the European continent and unloaded into Spain!! The German player obviously **** thier pants and moved everything to the Spanish border, and on the English players next turn (they too had been saving IPCs) they invaded the German homeland. Germany was quickly out of the game and Japan was soon crushed. unfortuantly after that game the rule was made that you couldn't move through the neutral territorys at all.

Who played Germany there?Infantry can't attack worth a flip!All They had to do was block the sea lanes and take them down slowly.A bomber or two ought to have done the trick.But I can't say anything about the English invasion.I usually have a couple of Battleships sitting off their coast, so they're never much of a threat in that aspect. I just bomb 'em every few turns so they don't become a major threat to my I.C.P.s. I usually take over their capitol after Russia's.

In a current game, however, Russia launched an attack on Germany that proved very succsesful on thier first turn.I still won because Japan took them out on the next turn.
Old November 2, 2003, 03:21   #20
Space05us
King

my mom was playing germany, and she isnt very good at the game. but shh! dont tell her i said so, its hard to fin A&A players.

Germany had no Navy and a very little airforce combating Russia
Old November 2, 2003, 03:21   #21
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by GePap
I can;t stand a great plan outdone by constantly rolling ones!
What?

1's are great, at least for you. Constantly rolling 1's means you hit all the time.
Old November 2, 2003, 03:23   #22
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by BKWM
Infantry can't attack worth a flip!
They can't on their own, but toss in a couple of bombers and some armor, and you roll over the other side.
Old November 2, 2003, 03:28   #23
BKWM
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Ramo
Unless Germany is extremely agressive and lucky, the Axis with lose.
That's not necessarily true. Japan can take out the U.S. navy fairly easily,but again that too involves a bit of luck as well. Once that is taken care of, the U.S. mainland can be taken. Once the U.S. mainland has fallen, the game's over and Japan picks wether to take out the U.K. or the U.S.S.R. I've done that acouple of time,but it takes a while.
Old November 2, 2003, 03:35   #24
Space05us
King

dice games are all luck

another game we were playing, my mom was Hitler again, she took England on the first turn. Needless to say the Axis won that game.

She tried it again in another game and it destroyed any hope the axis had of winning. Ive also set up the board a few times and tried to repeat the event but every time I tried Germany ended up in defeat.
Old November 2, 2003, 04:05   #25
BKWM
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Space05us
another game we were playing, my mom was Hitler again, she took England on the first turn. Needless to say the Axis won that game.

How hid she do that?
Old November 2, 2003, 04:07   #26
Space05us
King

luck, lots and lots of luck. she attacked it with everything she could, it was over a year ago so I dont remember exactly how she did it.
Old November 2, 2003, 04:07   #27
Al B. Sure!
Emperor

Local Time: 07:40
the transport in the baltic maybe?
Old November 2, 2003, 04:09   #28
BKWM
Warlord

How did she get past that battleship?
Old November 2, 2003, 04:12   #29
Space05us
King

luck, lots and lots of luck.
Old November 2, 2003, 04:12   #30
NeOmega
Prince

Local Time: 03:40
The allies are powerful, but with a little luck in the beginning, (and I mean a little) the axis can even it up real fast by being extremely aggressive their first turn.

I have seen Russia do well with an opening offensive, but with a little poor luck, and it's suicide. The biggest focus for Germany is to neutralize the British Navy, or at least get rid of their transport(s) the Canadian Transport is a threat. With the luftwaffe focusing on the British Navy, infantry first round, tanks second. Russian offensive in Europe makes a Japanese East Asian conquest much easier, and Japan is a deadly foe, with little money but many options. Also Germany should always try to take Africa early. Sweeping through Africa will offset the British Strategic Bombing raids, and hurt the British pocketbook, as well as force America into the war instead of sitting around amassing IPCs or tech.