Old November 1, 2003, 20:00   #31
Frozzy
PtWDG2 SunshineNationStatesCall To Power SuperLeague
Emperor

Local Time: 23:41
Local Date: November 2, 2010
1. NZ
2. Forested, warm, wet, lots of unique wildlife, 3M people, rugby is the main sport, down-to-earth mentality, and very culutral
3. Christianity
4. Changes. This week it is "semblance"
5. Single
6. Caucasian. Father = Viking, Mother = Celtic
7. Playng Rugby
8. Winning the NZ Super 8 soccer tournament
9. Procrastination
Old November 1, 2003, 20:06   #32
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 12:41
Quote:
Originally posted by Drogue
I don't know. I know an Englishman who is in his 70s, who is neither apathetic nor cynical, and his many friends come from many nations (from a Russian arms dealer to a Bollywood actress).
"[A]n Englishman". Out of how many people you know? I'm not saying it's true in 100% of cases, but the question was begging for stereotypes
Old November 1, 2003, 20:13   #33
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 07:41
1. USA
2. You've probably found out by now
3. Atheist, though raised Catholic (never believed after I turned around six though)
4. either antidisestablishmentarianism or emphatically
5. under 18
6. caucasian
7. This is a difficult one. I've got three - playing computer/video games, reading, and playing cards (Capitalism, Fool, Hearts, and Spades). Oh, and let me add arguing with teachers
8. None. I've always been proud of myself
9. Not being as deft as I should be with people of authority
Old November 1, 2003, 20:17   #34
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Local Time: 11:41
Quote:
Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
"[A]n Englishman". Out of how many people you know? I'm not saying it's true in 100% of cases, but the question was begging for stereotypes
Ahh, I thought you were saying it was true for all. If you mean apathetic as in politics, then for most people, youn would be right. However if you mean not caring about anything, then many people are not. Indeed, those that don't, would conform to your religion?

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old November 1, 2003, 20:18   #35
OzzyKP
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsDiploGamesPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG The Mercenary TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
ACS Staff Member

There is a card game called capitalism?

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah
Old November 1, 2003, 20:19   #36
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 14:41
OzzyKP, yeah.. you're supposed to 'steal' all the cards to yourself, make them work for you and then fire them to get maximum profit. THe other game is communism, where you have just one card. Problem is you have minimum of 4 players.
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old November 1, 2003, 20:22   #37
OzzyKP
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsDiploGamesPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG The Mercenary TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
ACS Staff Member

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah
Old November 1, 2003, 20:23   #38
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Quote:
Originally posted by Pekka
OzzyKP, yeah.. you're supposed to 'steal' all the cards to yourself, make them work for you and then fire them to get maximum profit. THe other game is communism, where you have just one card. Problem is you have minimum of 4 players.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old November 1, 2003, 20:24   #39
Whaleboy
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessMac
Prince

Old November 1, 2003, 20:31   #40
Kuciwalker
Deity

Pekka - the rules you described are not quite right, but you are correct that it doesn't work real well with three people

The object of Capitalism is to get rid of all of your cards. All of the cards are dealt out into X piles (X = how many people are playing). The top cards of each pile are turned face up. The person who got in first last round picks first, then second, and so on. Then, the first player gets X/2 rounded down cards from the last player (so with five people, the first player gets 2 cards from the last player, the second player gets 1 card from the fourth player, and the third player does nothing). The way it works is, the player asks, say, "Do you have double twos?" If the other person does, they have to take it (so they can't just find out the other person's deck), but if no, you can ask again four something else. The first player then gives that number of cards back to the last player, but it is the first player's choice which cards to give. Same happens for second and second-to-last, etc. When all trading is done, the person with the three of clubs starts. That person plays the three (and if he has any other threes, those as well) down on the table face up. The person to the left then must play the same number of cards, of equal or higher rank, or pass. So, for example, if double threes had been played, double fives could be played on top of that. However, if double threes were placed on top of double threes, the next person would be skipped and miss their turn. If you pass, you can no longer play until the current series is cleared. A series is cleared when either a) everyone passes and it gets back around to whoever played last or b) someone plays a number of two's (double two'ss if it's doubles, single two if it is singles, etc) down. The person who played last or who played the two's then starts the next round by playing any number of cards of equal rank.
Old November 1, 2003, 20:37   #41
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

1. Where do you come from. Country.
The United States of America

2. What is that country like? Some specs please. Population, few celebs if you have, and what is typical to your country and your countrymen? Nice things preferred.
It's fantastic! Huge, freakin' enormous, filled up with millions of absolutely insane, gun-toting people, the majority of whom have a real head for business and an entrepreneural spirit. We have crazy laws, weak beer, and we work insane amounts of hours here. Though millions of us own guns, the vast majority of our "warfare" is abstracted into the economic arena, where we practice constantly.

3. What is your religion and what are the basics of it. How it differs from Christianity?
Let's just say I follow the olden ways and leave it at that. Not so different from Christianity, though the Christians will never 'fess up to it, or to the fact that they borrowed heavily from our ancient traditions.

4. Your favourite word (and can't be curse word)
Gutterkin....made it up myself, and when you see a gutterkin, you know it. I don't even have to give you the proper definition of the word, I'll wager...

5. Marital status
Divorced. Married once, very young and stupid. Divorced 2.5 years later, immensely wiser for the experience. A solid learning experience, so that next time, I'll get it right.

6. Race. What is the quick history of your races most important things in history?
Celtic. A proud, free people....probably your ancestors...

7. What is your favourite hobby?
Hands down, writing...workin' on the next novel.

8. What is the most proud moment of your life? The highlight.
Hasn't happened yet, but there have been some important minor victories so far, including my first home (coming from nothing, t'was quite an accomplishment for me personally), and publishing my books. Will report more later when I get a big win...

9. Your worst bad habit
I smoke when I write and sometimes when I drive. Not a chain smoker, mind you, but I know I should stop. Bah....life is only interesting when you have a few vices. Screw stopping!

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old November 1, 2003, 20:39   #42
Whaleboy
Prince

Old November 1, 2003, 20:41   #43
Kuciwalker
Deity

elijah - in response to my post, or Vel's?
Old November 1, 2003, 20:41   #44
Ned
King

Local Time: 03:41
Re: Make me less ignorant
US
2. What is that country like?
The best in history.
3. What is your religion and what are the basics of it.
Agnostic Catholic.
Victory!
5. Marital status
Married
6. Race.
German-Celtic
Playing Alpha Centari X.
The birth of my daughter.
9. Your worst bad habit
Snoring - according to my wife.
Old November 1, 2003, 20:46   #45
Whaleboy
Prince

Sky: Yours

The dude was making a joke.
Old November 1, 2003, 20:46   #46
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 12:41
Quote:
2. What is that country like?
The best in history.
Yeah, I suppose they have some similarities.
Old November 1, 2003, 20:47   #47
Pekka
Emperor

Ned, you forgot to mention modest . Anyway, I was really waiting for that answer to question number 8.. you were first. So all of you who answered and have kids, shame on you!
Old November 1, 2003, 20:47   #48
Kuciwalker
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Whaleboy
Sky: Yours

The dude was making a joke.
I knew that . But I couldn't resist the opportunity to share the joy of one of the best cardgames out there IMHO
Old November 1, 2003, 22:32   #49
Q Classic
Emperor

Local Time: 06:41
3. catholic. it is christianity.
6. east asian. we're god's gift to humankind.
Old November 1, 2003, 23:41   #50
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Local Time: 13:41
Re: Make me less ignorant
Some call it Greece, some Grecia, Grieckenland, Grece, Ynanistan, Hellas or Hellada.
2. What is that country like? Some specs please.
Population, few celebs if you have, and what is typical to your country and your countrymen? Nice things preferred.
It's a small piece of land stubornly situated at the South East edge of Europe. Population is around 11 million. It's quite a beautiful country. Very diversified nature. You can find almost everything the world has in it. Like a micrography of the world. The urban centers are ugly.
About Greeks.... some oldfart Egyptian scholar said it best some millenia ago and it still holds water so I'll just quote him.
Quote:
O Solon, Solon, you Greeks are eternal children
From Kritias and Timeos by Plato.
3. What is your religion and what are the basics of it. How it differs from Christianity?
Agnostisism
Triumph!
5. Marital status
Single with 4 girls on my mind at present.
6. Race. What is the quick history of your races most important things in history?
Greek. I wasn't really "taught" about "races". Our history is well documented for such a small country.

Last edited by Bereta_Eder; November 1, 2003 at 23:52.
Old November 2, 2003, 00:03   #51
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Quote:
Originally posted by Immortal Wombat

Yeah, I suppose they have some similarities.
Other than both of them are in the top 5 largest nations in the world....
Old November 2, 2003, 00:18   #52
connorkimbro
Emperor

Local Time: 05:41
1. From the USA
2. I think it's rather nice. We've got just about every time of climate and terrain type there is (except for perhaps jungle.) Depending on where you go, the people are either very very friendly, or complete *******s. Most americans i think are hard workers, but we love to party and have a good time. We have more sex on average than people from any other country in the world
3. i am an atheist
4. pontificate
5. single
6. according to political correctness, we are responsible for every Bad Thing that has ever happened, including N-Sync and the Backstreet Boys.
7. too many to list here. reading, computers, music, drinking, video games, and on and on. .
8. hasn't happened yet. i imagine when i have children, they'll all start piling up after that.
9. probably smoking.

-theonion.com

Last edited by connorkimbro; November 2, 2003 at 00:26.
Old November 2, 2003, 00:25   #53
Q Classic
Emperor

Quote:
6. according to political correctness, we are responsible for every bad thing that has ever happened, including N-Sync and the Backstreet Boys.
well, you are responsible for nsync and the backstreet boys. at least, the female of your species is.
Old November 2, 2003, 02:36   #54
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Canada, on the West Coast

2. What is that country like? Some specs please. Population, few celebs if you have, and what is typical to your country and your countrymen? Nice things preferred.

Canada?

We are the second-largest country in the world, yet we only have 30 million people.

The most famous celebrity is probably Wayne Gretzky probably the best hockey player ever.

The country ranges from Arctic Wastelands and glaciers to the Rocky mountains, to flat prairies, and the almost mediterreanean climate of Southern BC, where you will never see snow.

I'm a Christian, an evangelical Mennonite.

To understand the basics, look at the Sermon on the Mount.

Mennonites are a branch of the anabaptist tradition, in that we only baptise believers. What distinguishes ourselves from other Christians is our pacifism. My particular church has a rather evangelical bent as compared to more conservative churches, hence we tend to attract people from a wide variety of backgrounds.

There are many that I like to use.

My word of the moment would be concise.

5. Marital status

Single.

We founded the world's largest Empire. I'm a Brit more than anything else.

Reading.

Probably recieving my IB diploma in High School or getting baptised with my best friend.

9. Your worst bad habit

I talk to myself late at night and scare my housemates.
Old November 2, 2003, 06:18   #55
Pekka
Emperor

Canada has only 30 million people? I thought there would be more than that...
Old November 2, 2003, 07:02   #56
BeBro
Emperor

Local Time: 13:41
"1. Where do you come from. Country."

Krautland...err... Germany

"2. What is that country like? Some specs please. Population, few celebs if you have, and what is typical to your country and your countrymen? Nice things preferred."

Pop ca. 80 million. People are described as unfriendly and arrogant in the north, and friendly in the south. of course it is all cliche. In Berlin most people are unfriendly on the first look, but have a good core.

Typical - good beer, good cars. Whining about the past (left: all was bad, right: all was oh so great). Bad tv shows (with some great exceptions).
Lederhosen is only typical for Bavarians

"3. What is your religion and what are the basics of it. How it differs from Christianity?"

Atheist, but not hostile to christianity. A lot of my values derive from there, but I don´t believe in god.

"4. Your favourite word (and can't be curse word)"

Scruffy (name of a dog of a girl I know) I find this name sounds so funny and I fits so well to the stupid little bastard

"5. Marital status"

Single.

"6. Race. What is the quick history of your races most important things in history?"

Ar... ermm...Human

"7. What is your favourite hobby?"

Making 3d graphics on my computer.

"8. What is the most proud moment of your life? The highlight."

Hm, most proud, don´t know.

"9. Your worst bad habit"

I´m a lazy bastard However, once I got my ass off I can work on something quite concentrated, but until then....
Old November 2, 2003, 07:04   #57
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 04:41
*yawn* I'm bored and like answering questions.

So I want to learn something about you. Well not YOU, but something about you.

1. Where do you come from. Country.- United States of America. Specifically the great state of Nevada.

Population? some where around 280 million I think. Celebs? All of them. Even the Europeans are often american celebs. typical? well that is obvious I guess. food, hamburgers and such. over indulgence in everything that feels good.

I used to kinda sort consider myself a christian. The more time I spend at Apolyton, the more athiestic I become. If I burn in hell after I die, I'm coming back to haunt all of you mother****ers for turning me into an athiest

4. Your favourite word (and can't be curse word) can't be a curse word? that sucks. Hmm. My favourite word is desert. Hell I don't know. That's just a guess. I like lots of words.

5. Marital status: single- I'll probably be that way for a long time

6. Race. What is the quick history of your races most important things in history? Caucasian pretty much. But I do value the native american blood in me. I do value some native american ideals. Even before I knew I had this blood in me, I've always identified with native americans.

7. What is your favourite hobby? I don't have many hobbies. I pretty much hate everything. My favourite hobby is computer games. That would be followed by hiking, posting at Apolyon, football, travelling etc.

8. What is the most proud moment of your life? The highlight. I don't have many of these. I've led a fairly uninspiring life. I suppose graduating from the nuclear power program would be my most proud moment.

9. Your worst bad habit. I have many of these. Alcohol probably. though I wouldn't call it a habit. But I am too close for comfort. I have many nervous habits like toe tapping, finger tapping, scratching, picking my skin, cracking knuckles. I'm just a nervous person. I also have bad habits like jerking off, eating. But those don't bother me too much.
Old November 2, 2003, 07:07   #58
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 03:41
1. USA
2. BAD AZZ

Mis Novias