View Poll Results: Rate Reagan as president (1 worst: 10 Best)
1 16 14.81%
2 14 12.96%
3 15 13.89%
4 6 5.56%
5 3 2.78%
6 5 4.63%
7 5 4.63%
8 9 8.33%
9 6 5.56%
10 21 19.44%
Bedtime for Bonzo- and his bananas 8 7.41%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 2, 2003, 18:03   #61
Theben
Deity

Local Time: 07:42
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by MrFun
God fvcking damn it.

So I made a mistake -- I meant 1.
You never did well on those tests in school that said READ INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY, did you?

Quote:
And to say Regan was your greatest president That borders on complete ignorance IMO.
Regan was the Secretary of Treasury in the 80's. So yeah that does border on complete ignorance---YOURS!!

Mebbe the right thinks the poll is about "greatest repugnican prez ever", in which case I can see why Reagan rates so high.

All the others were way worse.

btw, I gave him a 2.
I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned
Old November 2, 2003, 18:05   #62
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 04:42
Lincoln was the best republican president
Old November 2, 2003, 18:11   #63
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 11:42
Quote:
Originally posted by Theben
Regan was the Secretary of Treasury in the 80's. So yeah that does border on complete ignorance---YOURS!!
Old November 2, 2003, 18:25   #64
Ned
King

Local Time: 03:42
Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
And he too was extremely unpopular among Democrats of the time. They hated Lincoln. Truly hated him.

The level of Democrat antipathy is in proportion to the greatnest of the Republican president.
Old November 2, 2003, 18:26   #65
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace

Yes, we all know the democrats of that day believed what the democrats (true ones, not the ones without spines) believe today
Old November 2, 2003, 18:30   #66
Theben
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar

Ronald ReAgan was prez. Donald 'Regan' (no a) was secretary during Ronnie's nap years.
I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned
Old November 2, 2003, 18:32   #67
Nubclear

Nazi
Old November 2, 2003, 18:32   #68
Theben
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
Maybe youse guys should start a thread about him then, not Bonzo.
Old November 2, 2003, 18:33   #69
Theben
Deity

Quote:
Nazi
Now don't get mad 'cuz you don't know what you're doing.
Old November 2, 2003, 19:07   #70
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 21:42
Quote:
Originally posted by PLATO

Then along comes Reagan. He made us all believe again. The heartbeat of the country begin to quicken again. The country started reasserting itself. People begin to believe in the American dream again. Once again we were proud to be Americans.
That was probably his major contribution - although if you look at his record on economic or foreign policy it isn't much better than Jimmy Carter.

Reagan did have some very able people around him - Schultz, Baker and Weinberger spring to mind.

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old November 2, 2003, 19:09   #71
Nubclear

Quote:

Now don't get mad 'cuz you don't know what you're doing.
Counter-revolutionary!
Old November 2, 2003, 19:12   #72
Ned
King

Quote:
Nazi
See. What was I just saying in the other thread about commie/liberal hyperbole?
Old November 2, 2003, 19:45   #73
Nubclear

I really don't think I need to comment here.
However Theben, I apologize if I offended you for calling you a Nazi. I suppose being a communist, it just is a weakness of mine
Old November 2, 2003, 19:57   #74
Theben
Deity

No apology necessary. I pretty much figured you meant 'language-nazi', and your subtle use of smilies made me think you weren't totally serious.

Plus you spelled my name right.
Old November 2, 2003, 20:02   #75
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:

Plus you spelled my name right.

Mis Novias
Old November 2, 2003, 20:04   #76
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 06:42

If Bush is only a 1 and Reagan gets a 3, it sure must have been fun to live in those times.
Old November 2, 2003, 20:13   #77
Theben
Deity

I suppose I do need to comment on that 'counter-revolutionary' troll. *ahem* "My Marxism is more ideologically pure than your so-called brand of 'communism'."

There. Ned'll feel better.
Old November 2, 2003, 20:17   #78
Nubclear

Quote:
I suppose I do need to comment on that 'counter-revolutionary' troll. *ahem* "My Marxism is more ideologically pure than your so-called brand of 'communism'."
Old November 2, 2003, 20:46   #79
Q Classic
Emperor

tass is a commie-nazi. theben is a nazi-commie. ned is a nazi-commie-nazi. and i'm a commie-nazi-commie.
Old November 2, 2003, 20:48   #80
Alexander's Horse
Deity

My view of Reagan has softened over the years.

The way to think of him was like Chairman of the Board. He wasn't a hands on President.

Old November 2, 2003, 21:44   #81
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

A small black wire-haired terrier ran out from behind a low wall and then, catching sight of Arthur, began to snarl.

Now Arthur knew this dog, and he knew it well. It belonged to an advertising friend of his, and was called Know-Nothing-Bozo because the way its hair stood up on its head it reminded people of the President of the United States, and the dog knew Arthur, or at least should do. It was a stupid dog, could not even read an autocue, which way why some people had protested about its name, but it should at least have been able to recognize Arthur instead of standing there, hackles raised, as if Arthur was the most fearful apparition ever to intrude upon its feeble-witted life.

This prompted Arthur to go and peer at the window again, this time with an eye not for the asphyxiating emu but for himself.

Seeing himself for the first time suddenly in a familiar context, he had to admit that the dog had a point.

He looked a lot like something a farmer would use to scare birds with, and there was no doubt but that to go into the pub in his present condition would excite comments of a raucous kind, and worse still, there would doubtless be several people in there at the moment whom he knew, all of whom would be bound to bombard him with questions which, at the moment, he felt ill-equipped to deal with.

Will Smithers, for instance, the owner of Know-Nothing-Bozo the Non-Wonder Dog, an animal so stupid that it had been sacked from one of Will's own commercials for being incapable of knowing which dog food it was supposed to prefer, despite the fact that the meat in all the other bowls had had engine oil poured over it.

Will would definitely be in there. Here was his dog, here was his car, a grey Porsche 928S with a sign in the back window which read, "My other car is also a Porsche." Damn him.

He stared at it and realized that he had just learned something he hadn't known before.

Will Smithers, like most of the overpaid and under-scrupulous bastards Arthur knew in advertising made a point of changing his car every August so that he could tell people his accountant made him do it, though the truth was that his accountant was trying like hell to stop him, what with all the alimony he had to pay, and so on - and this was the same car Arthur remembered him having before. The number plate proclaimed its year.

Given that it was now winter, and that the event which had caused Arthur so much trouble eight of his personal years ago had occurred at the beginning of September, less than six or seven months could have passed here.

He stood terribly still for a moment and let Know-Nothing-Bozo jump up and down yapping at him. He was suddenly stunned by a realization he could no longer avoid, which was this: he was now an alien on his own world. Try as he might, no one was even to be able to believe his story. Not only did it sound perfectly potty, but it was flatly contradicted by the simplest observable facts.

Was this really the Earth? Was there the slightest possibility that he had made some extraordinary mistake?

The pub in front of him was unbearably familiar to him in every detail - every brick, every piece of peeling paint; and inside he could sense its familiar stuffy, noisy warmth, its exposed beams, its unauthentic cast-iron light fittings, its bar sticky with beer that people he knew had put their elbows in, overlooked by cardboard cutouts of girls with packets of peanuts stapled all over their breasts. It was all the stuff of his home, his world.

He even knew this blasted dog.

"Hey, Know-Nothing!"

The sound of Will Smithers' voice meant he had to decide what do to quickly. If he stood his ground he would be discovered and the whole circus would begin. To hide would only postpone the moment, and it was bitterly cold now.

The fact that it was Will made the choice easier. It wasn't that Arthur disliked him as such - Will was quite fun. It was just that he was fun in such an exhausting way because, being in advertising, he always wanted you to know how much fun he was having and where he had got his jacket from.

Mindful of this, Arthur hid behind a van.

"Hey, Know-Nothing, what's up?"

The door opened and Will came out, wearing a leather flying jacket that he'd got a mate of his at the Road Research Laboratory to crash a car into specially, in order to get that battered look. Know-Nothing yelped with delight and, having got the attention it wanted, was happy to forget Arthur.

Will was with some friends, and they had a game they played with the dog.

"Commies!" they all shouted at the dog in chorus. "Commies, commies, commies!!!"

The dog went berserk with barking, prancing up and down, yapping its little heart out, beside itself in transports of ecstatic rage. They all laughed and cheered it on, then gradually dispersed to their various cars and disappeared into the night.

Well that clears one thing up, thought Arthur from behind the van, this is quite definitely the planet I remember.

Guess the book.
Old November 2, 2003, 22:06   #82
Theben
Deity

One of the "hitchhiker's guide" trilogy, but I don't recall which.
Old November 2, 2003, 22:23   #83
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Worst president ever (which says a lot coming from me ).
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Old November 2, 2003, 23:25   #84
Alexander's Horse
Deity

nah that spot is reserved.

Old November 2, 2003, 23:31   #85
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Ramo
Worst president ever (which says a lot coming from me ).
Your words tell me a lot about you.
Old November 2, 2003, 23:34   #86
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

It should. For instance, that I'm sane.
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Old November 2, 2003, 23:35   #87
Alexander's Horse
Deity

Apparently in his defuddled state Ronald Reagan gets a lot of pleasure these days out of cleaning the pool - at any hour of the day or night.

So he stands at one end of the pool raking the leaves out - and the secret service dudes stand at the other end of the pool putting leaves back in.

And if you think I'm kidding, the source of that story was Nancy.

Also they've stopped dying his hair black, which I think is a shame.

Old November 2, 2003, 23:58   #88
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Ramo
It should. For instance, that I'm sane.
No, young and inexperienced.
Old November 2, 2003, 23:59   #89
Ned
King

Is there any hope of a cure, or is the brain damage irreversible?
Old November 3, 2003, 00:02   #90
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Yep, I'm indeed inexperienced in insanity.
-Bokonon