View Poll Results: Rate Reagan as president (1 worst: 10 Best)
1 16 14.81%
2 14 12.96%
3 15 13.89%
4 6 5.56%
5 3 2.78%
6 5 4.63%
7 5 4.63%
8 9 8.33%
9 6 5.56%
10 21 19.44%
Bedtime for Bonzo- and his bananas 8 7.41%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 3, 2003, 00:05   #91
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 07:42
Local Date: November 2, 2010

"Er, Designer People."

"What?"

"The Sirius Cybernetics Corporation were awarded a huge research grant to design and produce synthetic personalities to order. The results were uniformly disastrous. All the 'people' and 'personalities' turned out to be amalgams of characteristics which simply could not coexist in naturally occurring lifeforms. Most of them were just poor pathetic misfits, but some were deeply, deeply dangerous. Dangerous because they didn't ring alarm bells in other people. They could walk through situations the way that ghosts walk through walls, because no one spotted the danger.

"The most dangerous of all were three identical ones -- they were put in this hold, to be blasted, with this ship, right out of this universe. They are not evil, in fact they are rather simple and charming. But they are the most dangerous creatures that ever lived because there is nothing they will not do if allowed, and nothing they will not be allowed to do..."

Zaphod looked at the dim yellow lights, the two dim yellow lights. As his eyes became accustomed to the light, he saw that the two lights framed a third space where something was broken. Wet, sticky patches gleamed dully on the floor.

Zaphod and the official walked cautiously toward the lights. At that moment, four words came crashing into the helmet headsets from the other official.

"The capsule has gone," he said tersely.

"Trace it," snapped Zaphod's companion. "Find exactly where it has gone. We must know where it has gone!"

Zaphod approached the two remaining tanks. A quick glance showed him that each contained an identical floating body. He examined one more carefully. The body, that of an elderly man, was floating in a thick yellow liquid. The man was kindly looking, with lots of pleasant laugh lines around his face. His hair seemed unnaturally thick and dark for somone of his age, and his right hand seemed continually to be weaving forward and back, up and down, as if shaking hands with an endless succession of unseen ghosts. He smiled genially, babbled and burbled like a half-sleeping baby, and occassionally seemed to rock very slightly with little tremours of laughter, as if he had just told himself a joke he hadn't heard before, or didn't remember properly. Waving, smiling, chortling, with little yellow bubbles beading on his lips, he seemed to inhabit a distant world of simple dreams.

Another terse message suddenly came through his helmet headset. The planet toward which the escape capsule headed had already been identified. It was in Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha.

Zaphod found a small speaker by the tank, and turned it on. The man in the yellow liquid was babbling gently about a shining city on a hill.

He also heard the Official from the Safety and Civil Reassurance Administration issue instructions to the effect that the missing escape capsule contained a "Reagan" and taht the planet in ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha must be made "perfectly safe".

Guess the short story.
Old November 3, 2003, 00:05   #92
Ned
King

Local Time: 03:42
Churchill had a saying that went something like this. If a man in his twenties was not a liberal, he had no heart. If a man in his thirties was not a conservative, he had no brain.
Old November 3, 2003, 00:06   #93
Ned
King

Local Time: 03:42
Man, I'm watching the Viking game in HDTV. Again, it is amazing in quality!
Old November 3, 2003, 00:14   #94
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
Churchill had a saying that went something like this. If a man in his twenties was not a liberal, he had no heart. If a man in his thirties was not a conservative, he had no brain.
Oh, crap. I might have to undergo a sex change to remain a liberal in my thirties. : (

Btw, the appropriate rejoinder to my reply is "This is the sort of pedantry up with which I will not put".
Old November 3, 2003, 00:15   #95
Sikander
King

Local Time: 04:42
Quote:
Originally posted by Odin
Reagan's policies drove my family to near poverty. My fammily has always done well under dems and goes down the drain when the repugs are in power. Supply-side econommics is just sucking up to Big Business in disguise. His religious fundimentalism and the crap he pulled supporting tinpot dictators, like Saddam. Reagan is the 2nd worst president of the century, just behind Hoover.
Perhaps you should take the multi-generational hint and get into some career that looks to be in demand in the long run. Studying radical politics isn't going to make you rich, and neither is assuming that you can fool the rest of the country into paying you welfare for the rest of your life. Earn plenty of money and you can take care of you and yours, and even help out your friends and others who need it from time to time. I do.
Old November 3, 2003, 00:27   #96
Sikander
King

Quote:
Originally posted by nato
Savings & Loan Scandal. A devestating blow to our economy. Also a brilliant way for the republicans to transfer money from the poor and middle class to the rich. A classic!
This was Reagan's fault? Didn't the democratically controlled congress and senate pass that bit of crap? Debit where debit is due after all.

Quote:
The standard enormous republican deficits.
See above.

Quote:
Selling arms to terrorists.
What are you talking about?

Quote:
Iran-Contra, an attempt to set up a shadow government and bypass that pesky Constitution.
Which part of the constitution says that we can't sell arms to Iran or supply money to the Contras? This had nothing to do with the constitution. It didn't even have anything to do with the law purported to have been broken. No one was convicted of anything but lying to congress in the longest and most expensive (at the time) independent counsel investigation ever. The reason is that none of the actions for which people were charged were illegal.

Quote:
The mess in Nicaragua.
Reagan gets one share of credit for that to 5 shares for the Ortega brothers. They dissed Jimmy Carter, started to fvck with not only the regular citizens of their country but also with the indiginous peoples, starting several small civil wars only one of which was contrived in the U.S.

Quote:
Letting our soldiers get hit badly in Lebanon and generally making a fiasco of it.
Force protection isn't his responsibility directly, and obviously there was a let down on the ground, but back then the idea of a dump truck full of explosives with a suicidal maniac at the wheel wasn't exactly second nature to us. But he did diddle and dither around there, giving the Iranians an opportunity.

Quote:
Ready to sign away all our nuclear weapons at Iceland without even consulting the military guys.
This is why we require the senate to approve treaties I suppose.

[/QUOTE]
Old November 3, 2003, 02:00   #97
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:
gorbachev? he needed standing up to?
Actually, when Reagan came into office, Gorby wasn't in charge. Breznev, Andropov, and Cherneko all had to die first. Of course while the hardliners were in charge, Reagan talked very tough. It got to the point where the Politburo, after Cherneko's death decided they needed a charasmatic younger guy to match up with Reagan, who was winning the PR war.

Basically, without Reagan there may not have been a Gorbachev in power in the SU.

Reagan was a Chairman of the Board (like AH said), but he was MUCH more intelligent than the left gives him credit for. His writings displayed a knowledge of international affairs and the scholars going over it believe him to be smarter than it was thought at the time.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old November 3, 2003, 02:00   #98
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 11:42
Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
Einstein was a communist.
Old November 3, 2003, 02:16   #99
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 21:42
Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
His writings displayed a knowledge of international affairs and the scholars going over it believe him to be smarter than it was thought at the time.
Er, you don't seriously believe he wrote that stuff himself?

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old November 3, 2003, 02:16   #100
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Well it's in his handwriting... so, unless they dictated him what to write in his journals and letters...
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Old November 3, 2003, 02:43   #101
Alexander's Horse
Deity

Nancy dictated it

Old November 3, 2003, 02:46   #102
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Did the astrologer tell her what to write?
Old November 3, 2003, 02:49   #103
Alexander's Horse
Deity

consistent with my softening on Reagan, I believe the man had good instincts in terms of the values he represented and sincerely believed in those values. That was what made him a good leader.

I saw a bio on Reagan and it seems he had those values all his life.

Having said that there were many dark sides - notably his close involvement in blacklisting artists in Hollywood duirng the McCarthy period. That was very nasty.

Old November 3, 2003, 03:19   #104
Straybow
Civilization II Succession GamesSpanish CiversPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

I rated Reagan at 8
Quote:
Originally posted by Q Cubed
democracy and the american people won the cold war. without us, they wouldn't have lost, so it's silly to say reagan won it.

it was our drive in the economy, it was our technological wizardry, it was our american patriotism that proved to the soviets that they just couldn't keep up. bears can't fly.
Yeah, but as PLATO said, it took Reagan to make it happen.

The Dems were busy telling the American people that we should just resign ourselves to decline into a postindustrial miasma of menial service jobs.

LBJ's ham-handed approach at everything (coupled with his spoils for the benefit of Texas) did it's damage. Nixon tore the heart out of the Reps and defamed the Presidency with his malfeasance. Carter sucked the life out of the whole country by embracing all the negatives of the left that sprung from Vietnam and Watergate. He couldn't lead America out of the downward spiral. There really wasn't much patriotism left, more like nostalgia over past greatness.

Carter killed the nuclear power industry, tried to axe some of the most successful military projects (the 12 supercarriers, the C-17, the B-1, and others) in their infancy, etc. If he'd had his way there wouldn't have been the technical wizardry to outpace the Soviets. It still took a determined Reagan expending much of his political capital to bring those programs back.

I vaguely remember the 1976 Republican convention, when Reagan lost to Ford but was tapped as the keynote speaker. His speech was stunning, and just about everybody realized that they had chosen the wrong horse. Ford would end up falling on his sword, and one could only hope it was for the good of the party and the nation in the long run.

Q³, you should find the transcript or a tape of that speech, and compare that to what all the other mealy-mouthed politicians were saying.

Reagan knew how to lead. He knew how to inspire the American people to believe in themselves and the power of freedom. He wasn't uniformly successful, but then again he wasn't supported by Congress.
Old November 3, 2003, 03:24   #105
Alexander's Horse
Deity

I think he just knew how to deliver his lines well

Old November 3, 2003, 06:58   #106
Rufus T. Firefly
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
Yup, and he used that quote to justify switching parties once his career was over with the Liberals -- and over largely because he was such a f*ck up.

Churchill was a great wartime leader and a very witty man, but a look at his career beyond WWII reveals failure after failure, dotted with "successes" of a truly dubious nature (for example, being the first person ever to order the aerial bombardment of a civilian population for "pacification" during peacetime). I'd trust his taste in brandy and cigars, but you'd have to be a fool to look at his life and still trust his political judgment.
Old November 3, 2003, 07:38   #107
TheStinger
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 12:42
Reagan was Mrs Thatchers poodle
Old November 3, 2003, 08:07   #108
Q Classic
Emperor

Local Time: 06:42
yeah, i know that, imran. gorby didn't come into power until like 83 or 84, iirc. maybe it was 86? i could look it up, but i don't wanna. the point remains, though, that gorby was a paper bear, not much of a threat to the us. by that time, neither was the soviet union, outside of those nukes.
Old November 3, 2003, 10:07   #109
Straybow
Civilization II Succession GamesSpanish CiversPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
although if you look at his record on economic or foreign policy it isn't much better than Jimmy Carter.
Economic record—you mean inflation going down by two thirds, unemployment going down by half, overall growth rate increasing despite the S&L fiasco, and the first major revitalization of the stock markets since 1929??

If that was done by delivering his lines, bring on the orators. If policy had something to do with it, bring on the Republicans.

Foreign policy? You mean Carter going to Moscow and kissing Brezhnev's arse, or Reagan telling them to kiss his? You play the hand you're dealt, and Carter folded with a three of a kind instead of drawing for the full house, and not because he thought the Soviets had a straight flush, but because he thought the Soviets would react poorly to losing.

After Sadat was assassinated has there been any real progress in the Middle East? No, because there is nobody like Sadat on the Muslim side any more. Now it's all Arafat with a little bit of Syria and Iran thrown in (the Saudis trying to appear "neutral").
Old November 3, 2003, 10:11   #110
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar

Einstein was a communist.
No he wasn't. He was a capitalist. He might have believed in Communism* but his actions, earnings, and life are safely capitalistic.

*And I'm not too sure about that, but I don't care to research it.
Old November 3, 2003, 10:18   #111
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by TheStinger
Reagan was Mrs Thatchers poodle
An interesting argument -- how would you support it?
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old November 3, 2003, 10:18   #112
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
Is there any hope of a cure, or is the brain damage irreversible?
Ramo's? Irreversible. Just read his words, man!

Last edited by JohnT; November 3, 2003 at 10:30.
Old November 3, 2003, 10:29   #113
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Odin
Reagan's policies drove my family to near poverty. My fammily has always done well under dems and goes down the drain when the repugs are in power. Supply-side econommics is just sucking up to Big Business in disguise. His religious fundimentalism and the crap he pulled supporting tinpot dictators, like Saddam. Reagan is the 2nd worst president of the century, just behind Hoover.
Detail, details! What did your family do? How were they ruined? What did Reagan do to cause your families ruination? Just asserting that it is so doesn't exactly convince.

My father and stepmother were thrown out of work by Reagan's Justice department in the 1984 ATT desision - 5 years later, the bankrupt, slightly-lost person that was my father at the beginning of the Reagan years was now owner of a company generating $4,000,000 in revenue and (going by what Christmas was like in 1990 - ) a pretty good profit. And he was doing the same job that he got tossed out of in 1984.

Oddly enough, I don't ascribe any of this to Reagan, other than the confident, optimistic leadership that he provided. However, the US was a far better overall position in 1989 than in 1979, both globally and internally and you cannot give the reigning president none of the credit, well, I guess you can if you're a zealot.
Old November 3, 2003, 11:41   #114
orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

negative 74.

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui
Old November 3, 2003, 11:56   #115
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Yeah, I guess you had to live during that time to appreciate what he accomplished. The country had lost faith in itself. He got it back. That has to count against some of the mistakes he made.
Old November 3, 2003, 13:59   #116
Q Classic
Emperor

the two biggest things i remember during the 80s were the challenger kablooey and the seoul olympics.
Old November 3, 2003, 14:33   #117
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
quoting famous men doesnt make a man any wiser.
Old November 3, 2003, 14:35   #118
Q Classic
Emperor

'specially since you can do it by copy-paste.
Old November 3, 2003, 15:20   #119
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 11:42
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnT

No he wasn't. He was a capitalist. He might have believed in Communism* but his actions, earnings, and life are safely capitalistic.

*And I'm not too sure about that, but I don't care to research it.
Well, your right when you say he wasn't a communst per say. However his beliefs were all very centered around socialism.
In fact, I think the FBI has over 1,000 pages concerning this.
Old November 3, 2003, 15:29   #120
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Are you telling me to trust the records of J. Edgar Hoover? My, how lowly the US Communists must've become if they're using him as a witness.