Old November 6, 2003, 02:06   #241
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 11:44
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Asher
BOOOO!

Urban already closed a perfectly legit thread to save his ass.

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...hreadid=100935

A few days on the job and he's already using his powers to censor threads which he doesn't like, but don't break the rules.
Hmm...Not quite what I would've done, but you did shut down the Mac forum
Old November 6, 2003, 02:52   #242
Ari Rahikkala
King

Local Time: 14:44
Quote:
BOOOO!

Urban already closed a perfectly legit thread to save his ass.

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...hreadid=100935
This is definitely a good case against UR. That post of his does have a point, but it is not a reason to close a thread at all. I mean, where in the rules FAQ does it say that making polls whose results might be biased because the users of Apolyton are not a representative sample of... well, anything but Apolyton users?

Now, posting another thread about the same issue when the old one has been closed, that's just plain stupidity. If you want to contest one recent decision you don't go breaking old, generally accepted rules. If you were to just nicely point out to the admins that this Urban Ranger fellow closed a thread that should not have been closed (and you would have gained the sympathies of many people that way), you would have gained a lot more influence...
This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand
Old November 6, 2003, 03:04   #243
Zylka
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Problem with Dave's original approach is that he included a literal reference to UR in the thread; hence making it more than fair game for the lock n' key. UR's lack of foresight to close the thread for his own face saving satisfaction through this outside, barely just, (yet available) reason - was quite pathetically evident in the resultant action.

That's know your task botching idiot 101 for tonight, folks!
Old November 6, 2003, 03:04   #244
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 21:44
Yes - already abusing his position. Tut, tut.

I would get upset but

a. that's normal mod behaviour on the OT (congrats UR for fitting in so well)

b. Some mods, i.e. Ming and MTG, seem to get off when people get upset about their decisions (Asher to note)

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old November 6, 2003, 03:11   #245
Zylka
King

Exactly. Yet young moron didn't even know how to handle it to a less than shakey and more assertive outcome. The number one thing needed here while abusively locking threads; is the respect of those you abuse (through some form of superiority) - followed closely by "knowing what's going on yourself and not looking like a pathetic, self serving retard directly after the action".

0/2 on those counts, Urban!
Old November 6, 2003, 03:14   #246
Alexander's Horse
Deity

Modding can be a form of trolling, almost a licence to troll, try and hurt people you don't like etc. (the Ming/Mobius thing would be an example).

Mark and Dan seem either not to care, not to notice or enjoy it voyeuristically themselves.

Old November 6, 2003, 03:18   #247
Zylka
King

You're correct - but handing such a priviledge to the aforementioned junior makes about as much sense as MI6 granting Carrot Top a license to kill.

Well, that's a bit gracious on my part. Let's instead say: Giving the squeegee kid on 17th ave who yells at hallucinations of "George W. Hitler" a suitcase nuke.
Old November 6, 2003, 03:47   #248
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Local Time: 07:44
Quote:
Problem with Dave's original approach is that he included a literal reference to UR in the thread; hence making it more than fair game for the lock n' key.
Exactly. Like I said, you need to teach him some subtlety.
Old November 6, 2003, 04:04   #249
Alexander's Horse
Deity

he also needs to find out when UR sleeps, goes to work, stuff like that, windows of opportunity

Old November 6, 2003, 04:08   #250
Zylka
King

no I don't think so thanks
Old November 6, 2003, 04:25   #251
aneeshm
King

Local Time: 17:14
Quote:

It's pretty lame how you try to fit in by using an old nickname I had well before you came here.

Don't try as hard, son.

Don't fear for me Glonk , I'm not trying to fit in here . Glonk just seems to suit you (and irritate you ) more than Asher . I picked it up from our new mod , UR . There is such a thing as humility and learning from someone older , you know . I hadn't thought you'd have heard of it . It seems I was right . Neither , it seems , have you heard of something called tack and strategy .

If you really wanted to prove UR wrong that badly , you should have left the line concerning him out of the thread in the OT . And then , later , after the vote was running conclusively in your favour , you should have announced your real intentions . Patience is virtue , and also a necessity in this type of warfare .
Old November 6, 2003, 04:26   #252
Frozzy
PtWDG2 SunshineNationStatesCall To Power SuperLeague
Emperor

Local Time: 23:44
Quote:
Originally posted by DaShi
The excuse that this is a gaming forum doesn't fly when you read then next 30 posts about politics, history, books, and (surprisingly enough) computers. In fact, if anyone talks about games they are often redirected to other forums on this site.

[...]

Personally, I was a bit shocked to see him become a mod so shortly after posting a blatantly racist statement justifying the death of civilians in the Japanese thread. [...] However, if this is representive of his future decisions, then this site is about to get as boring as UR's noncontroversial posts.
Ding Ding Ding. Echoed my sentiments entirely.
Old November 6, 2003, 04:27   #253
aneeshm
King

Also , I just love this thread . Some of the best entertainemnt I've had on 'poly in days . Thanks , Asher .
Old November 6, 2003, 04:30   #254
aneeshm
King

And yes , the closing of that thread in the OT seems just a little unwarranted .
Old November 6, 2003, 04:31   #255
Asmodean
Civilization III Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 13:44
Oh boy...it has been an interesting last ten hours or so in this thread, hasn't it?

I can't wait to see what happens when Ming checks this thread again

For the crotch remark alone, Zylka look like he's hanging with his ass only inches above the water

And for the record: I know I said that I was against UR as a mod, but he was right to close that thread that Asher opened. It's only purpose was to bait UR.

Asmodean
Old November 6, 2003, 04:36   #256
Frozzy
PtWDG2 SunshineNationStatesCall To Power SuperLeague
Emperor

Local Time: 23:44
Quote:
Originally posted by Asmodean
And for the record: I know I said that I was against UR as a mod, but he was right to close that thread that Asher opened. It's only purpose was to bait UR.
Sorry, the reasons for the closure were wrong. If that was policy for the OTF, there would be no threads, no polls, no anything.

It may have been a poor excuse for a thread, but it is a terrible and pitiful excuse for a closure, and something that should be reviewed.
Old November 6, 2003, 05:18   #257
Fve Crathva
Warlord

Local Time: 04:44
2**8

SP

Last edited by Fve Crathva; November 6, 2003 at 05:23.
Old November 6, 2003, 05:24   #258
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 03:44
Quote:
Originally posted by aneeshm
And yes , the closing of that thread in the OT seems just a little unwarranted .
It was perfectly warranted. Asher has been baiting UR incessantly, and *****ing like a little girl incessently since UR got promoted. Just to make sure there was no subtlety involved (not that there ever is with Asher), he mentioned UR by name right off the bat.

Not in the thread title, but in the explanation. That's still good enough to put it in violation of policy. And I don't doubt for a minute that that's exactly what Asher intended, so if UR or anyone else did nothing about the thread, he got his little dig in and could sit back and yuk it up, or if it got closed by UR (who could be seen online), then Asher had (in his mind) some new injustice to complain about.

Of course, once "victimized" by this "injustice", he had to immediately start a clone thread, and bait and insult UR some more. Well, that's all ended. Asher has a bigger problem to deal with now.
Old November 6, 2003, 05:26   #259
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by Frozzy

Sorry, the reasons for the closure were wrong. If that was policy for the OTF, there would be no threads, no polls, no anything.
It IS in fact the policy for the OT. Baiting other posters by name in thread titles, or polls, or hidden in the opening post of a thread is not allowed. And despite your contention, about 99.9% of threads and polls in OTF manage not to bait anyone by name.
Old November 6, 2003, 05:34   #260
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by Zylka

and I could potentially feel my index finger up your daughter's crotch. Want to talk about it?
Between your bumping old threads for no reason, spamming, going overboards on the insults to UR, and especially this little family member remark, that'll be two weeks for you Z.

And I think this thread and this "debate" have gone more than far enough.