Old November 16, 2003, 10:19   #61
kobayashi
Prince

Local Time: 19:45
Local Date: November 2, 2010
For the beta-testers, Here's a patch incorporating the fixes I've made and a few new additions.

plus do you think I should allow the communists to have salesman instead of admin officers in the first phase.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip betapatch2.zip (228.9 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by kobayashi; November 16, 2003 at 11:01.
Old November 16, 2003, 19:46   #62
Panda
Prince

Local Time: 11:45
Quote:
do you think I should allow the communists to have salesman instead of admin officers in the first phase.
I'm not quite sure what kind of role you want the Communists to play. I like that they use border patrols very aggresively, but then I also wondered if they would be better represented by barbarians (just continually building border patrols and have a stack of commune leaders inside). My understanding of history was that the Communist bloc was defensive to market forces (trade with other countries was on the basis of military hardware or raw materials for other raw materials or simply influence) whilst encouraging political subversion (ie through trade unions).

From there I see them perhaps better using defensive units (in addition to border patrols) which will then go around plundering terrain improvements - which is how the AI uses them - and interfering with the market process (by exerting ZOCs). Perhaps you could even give them the odd nuke to use as a weapon of subversion. Spies might be too powerful.

I came into this with lots of Dilbert humour, so i propose a replacement for the simple salesman: the "management consultant" Also, perhaps, the "headhunter". Lots of potential
Old November 17, 2003, 05:11   #63
kobayashi
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Panda

I'm not quite sure what kind of role you want the Communists to play. I like that they use border patrols very aggresively, but then I also wondered if they would be better represented by barbarians (just continually building border patrols and have a stack of commune leaders inside). My understanding of history was that the Communist bloc was defensive to market forces (trade with other countries was on the basis of military hardware or raw materials for other raw materials or simply influence) whilst encouraging political subversion (ie through trade unions).

From there I see them perhaps better using defensive units (in addition to border patrols) which will then go around plundering terrain improvements - which is how the AI uses them - and interfering with the market process (by exerting ZOCs). Perhaps you could even give them the odd nuke to use as a weapon of subversion. Spies might be too powerful.

I came into this with lots of Dilbert humour, so i propose a replacement for the simple salesman: the "management consultant" Also, perhaps, the "headhunter". Lots of potential
good point about the barbarian angle. But I need the comunists as a 'real' race since they will need to rejoin the business world once the berlin wall comes down. There is also one other important thing that requires them to be a tribe.

consultant and headhunter are already used up for the game. Anyway, its done in such a way that a when a player sees a SalesX unit, he automatically recognizes it as an attack unit.
Old November 18, 2003, 11:15   #64
kobayashi
Prince

I done a bit of experimenting and I think Panda is right, the research rate should be slowed down. I'm going in increase the paradigm from 15 to 25. I'm also going to try his suggestion to let the Bureau Chiefs move.

Potus is also right about the positioning of future tech. I am shifting it back to about one quarter into the game. This however means that the Communists will be able to build a few things, nothing too seriously off.

Here's the latest
Attached Files:
File Type: txt rules.txt (26.6 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by kobayashi; November 18, 2003 at 11:24.
Old November 18, 2003, 11:16   #65
kobayashi
Prince

And some more updates on the game.txt. Man it is soooo tedious to have to update every single piece of conversation.
Attached Files:
File Type: txt game.txt (118.7 KB, 5 views)
Old November 21, 2003, 02:13   #66
kobayashi
Prince

A serious problem that develops in the second half of the game has been highlighted. In a nutshell the heroes are diplomats....which disappear after being used once. Its not disasterous but I'll need to change some unit slots to fix it so the sounds are right once they become 'attack' units.

Updating of the lables and game.txt is continuing....

Also, I just realized that changing the tech paradigm has no effect on the rules.tx and you need to change it in the won.scn file..which has not been included in any of the patches.

Maybe we should just wind up this round of testing soon. I'd like to hear everyone's comments before relasing a new version.
Old November 21, 2003, 05:58   #67
:) Smiley
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 04:45
The dates after each tech is informative but annoying, especially because of the heavy abbreviating necessary. Perhaps some other way of doing it?
Old November 21, 2003, 11:27   #68
kobayashi
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Smiley
The dates after each tech is informative but annoying, especially because of the heavy abbreviating necessary. Perhaps some other way of doing it?
Maybe skip the '19'? But that adds only 2 more spaces.
Old November 21, 2003, 15:20   #69
curtsibling
staff

Local Time: 12:45
Quote:
Originally posted by kobayashi
And some more updates on the game.txt. Man it is soooo tedious to have to update every single piece of conversation.
LOL!

Tis the curse and joy of civ-modding!
Old November 22, 2003, 07:16   #70
kobayashi
Prince

One thing that did bug me very much was how fast the Europeans and Japanese became powerful and the amazing speed at which their research went. It took some searching but I finally found out why. Somehow I managed to give the Europeans, Japanese and Americans(Ind) 2 capitals each! and all of them were functional. In fact if I go back to my base save file, I can give any one of them an unlimited number of capitals.

While it might not be suitable in my case, some people might just purposely want to give some of their tribes more than one capital to make them extra powerful.
Old November 22, 2003, 08:47   #71
curtsibling
staff

Local Time: 12:45
Using the 'copy city improvement' it is possible to give unlimited capitals.

Useful for depicting real-world situations.
Old November 22, 2003, 11:40   #72
N35t0r
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversDiplomacyScenario League / Civ2-CreationPtWDG2 Latin LoversC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansPSPB Team EspañolC4WDG Spamyard TeamBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 08:45
Even cheating the palace into the city does this. The only way to trigger the 'palace relocated' thing is actually building the new palace.

Progressive Game ID #0023
Old November 22, 2003, 18:35   #73
POTUS
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusMacCivilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 03:45
Location: How could I possibly not have a Mozambican flag, I mean, what other country has an AK-47 on their flag?
That's how I did so well with Europe???

I liked it when I thought that I won with only my superior play, not two capitals.
Old November 22, 2003, 19:47   #74
Panda
Prince

Local Time: 11:45
Yeah I played first as the Europeans then started a new game as the Japanese when you patched: I thought multiple regional capitals was the idea, otherwise the corruption would be really high at the start.

Keep it.
Old November 25, 2003, 00:56   #75
kobayashi
Prince

The game plays at the right speed and it seems a shame to reduce the research rate.

If I made every turn two months (i.e. halve the number of turns before the scenario ends) would that be better. It would also help solve the fast AI research problem.