Old November 20, 2000, 21:50   #1
Panda
Prince

Local Time: 06:07
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Future scenario standards/must haves
What is the next thing you think most scenarios will be including. Today's effort lean far more towards total conversion than previously. It started with simply adding amended rules.txts, then units.gif, through to all the support files. Today I think the standard is for multiple events, either as multi-part scenarios or configured for different sides. Winter/summer terrain changes were quite big for a time. Star Trek Wars, if you've seen it, includes 3 *.dll files for hardcoded artwork. Even a full sounds addition used to be the exception rather than the rule, now everyone must have them.

What do the designers think will be the next big thing, and what do the players want to see? Also what might be the next leap foward?

My own idea is the inclusion of multiple scenario files, unbalanced for the human player side, as well as multiple events files. This is what JP had in mind for Ansteig but never finished.

In planning a (distant) future Faklands war scenario, I thought of allowing maximum preferences. With two sides in the conflict there would be six scenario files, and multiple event files with the following variables:
Unit distribution: historical, pro-Argie, pro-Brits
limited campaign/deathmatch. End after a real date, or continue to the bitter end.
Unit reinforcements: historical, pro-Argie, pro-Brits.
Event dates: historical or random - affecting reinforcements mainly.
The scenario files would be basically three different kinds, and then doubled with the scenario length activated for three. Size wouldn't be that great either: about 40Kb compressed size for each.

Comments?

------------------
The Historical Civ2 Site
http://members.nbci.com/HistCiv2/index.htm

"The man who can smile when things go wrong has thought of someone he can blame it on" - anon

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed" - President Eisenhower

"Treaties are like roses and pretty girls: they last while the
Old November 20, 2000, 22:05   #2
Shadowstrike
Emperor

Local Time: 01:07
I'm thinking of doing a multi-part scenario, playable from 3 sides (and with 10 parts that's 30 different sets of rules.txt, game.txt, etc.)...

Considering my rate of work, I'll probably be done by oh, the week Civ3 comes out....
Old November 21, 2000, 00:51   #3
Civfan
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEM
Prince

The next big thing probably will be the Negotiations. Probably by altering the game.txt to allow restrictions on trading and offering of techs, cancelling out peace or alliances and adding some new alternatives for communication between the civs. Its one feature in my scenario I've been working on. It still has some bugs but will be worked out soon enough. But today the norm is whats been set by Nemo, Kull and Alex.. Multiply events, rules, graphics ect... Just makes you wonder whats left to be taped into from this old classic...
Old November 21, 2000, 01:12   #4
DarthVeda
Emperor

Local Time: 02:07
If my events in Kyokujitsu work like I hope they will.... oh boy... very exciting!
[This message has been edited by DarthVeda (edited November 21, 2000).]
Old November 21, 2000, 02:51   #5
techumseh
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 00:07
One area that hasn't been explored very fully is the Test of Time scenario. Much of what's been described here about multiple events files is possible within ONE ToT events file. It's 3 times larger (32kb vs. 100kb) for one thing, and it's quite possible to create separate events structures for each player. You can use the triggers and flags to automatically determine who the human player is and run only the events intended for that player.

There are huge untapped areas for creativity in ToT scenario making. Invisible units, impassible terrain, tunneling, other dimensions, more unit and tech slots are just a few of the new features available.

The problem with making a scenario in ToT is that it must be done without editors. Few have been done so far. Kestrel has made several non-historical ones that are very good, Mike Jeszenka's made a WWII scenario, and there are a couple of FW scenarios that have been converted and upgraded: "The Great Game" by Mike Daumen and "Congo!" by me. All are available at the "Cradle of Civilization" site.

There are a number of historical ToT scenarios in the works, some of which should be out soon. Darth Vader has "Kyokujitsu", Mike Daumen has "Russian Civil War", and I'm working on a couple: "Bismarck and the Unification of Germany" and "Chinese Warlords" based on the civil wars in China from 1916-1950. Once more ToT scenarios are released, I'm sure that more people will see the many advantages of the format.
Old November 21, 2000, 15:11   #6
Prometeus
Spanish Civers
King

Local Time: 07:07
Tecumseh, you obviously missed the MagyarCrusader' scenario...
Old November 21, 2000, 17:06   #7
Stefan Härtel
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 07:07
[*] Scenarios that are fully based on multiplayer games, that simply won't work when only one player plays it[*] Scenarios in advanced style of Nemo's "Second Front"[*] And of course scenarios with enhanced capabilities via hex-editing.

Of course, most new scenarios out there will use 10 or more events files.

I will then be the last one using only 1 file per game (except maybe civ-specific ones). Darius is a great exception.

------------------
Follow the masses!
30,000 lemmings can't be wrong!

The vast majority of our imports come from outside the country.
-George W. Bush

Shahan Shah Eran ud Aneran

Visit my Homepage at: http://members.xoom.com/SHaertel/Index.html
Old November 21, 2000, 20:43   #8
techumseh
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 00:07
I guess I did! BTW is Magyar Crusader Mike Jeszenka? He's the only crusading Magyar I know.
Old November 21, 2000, 21:40   #9
Shadowstrike
Emperor

Local Time: 01:07
TOT has amazing potential, unfortunately I can't play any of the scenarios...

I'll bet that very soon, it will be narly impossible for any new scenario designer to make a "good" scenario, because all the experts have scenarios made that are amazing to play and hard to expand on.
Old November 22, 2000, 05:53   #10
KhanMan
Prince

Tecumseh-I agree totally that ToT is the up and coming favorite for scenario design. The possibilities are staggering on that platform, and, IMHO, it's a heck of a lot easier to make a ToT scenario than a CtP I one

Shadow-Actually, I think that there is plenty of room here for more modest projects. Not every scenario or mod has to be a Red Front, because not every civver is interested in scenarios that deep (or hard

All-You might want to check out Kestrel's Tot-Multiverse Scenario/Mod...it's still being revised and added to, but, IMHO, it shows promise of doing for ToT what the Fascism Patch did for Civ2 standard: providing a new and lively setting for gameplay. The newer units, global-wonders restriction, and sub specialties add interesting depth.

Anyone interested can find more info on this thread:
http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum29/HTML/000863.html?15

Also, the current version is availible for download at Kestrel's site at:
http://kestrel18.tripod.com/Multiverse/

or mine at:
http://www.geocities.com/khanmaned/civ2/multiverse.html

"The Word of Scenario creation was heard thrice round a thousand worlds, and the people rejoiced..."
-KhanMan, Sprecher der ToT
[This message has been edited by KhanMan (edited November 22, 2000).]