Old November 6, 2003, 05:12   #121
Ned
King

Local Time: 03:49
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Re: Ned, you've got to work on your posting style
Quote:
Originally posted by KrazyHorse
Your "make a dumbass proclamation as though delivering the Sermon on the Mount" bit is getting tired.

Especially when it comes to insults. Didn't you supposedly go to law school or something?

Take a lesson from Drake. He used to be a really boring-ass poster too, but now I read what he writes and generally enjoy it.
You know, Krazyhorse, I very strongly object to you as a person. But I will stop there, because if I were to say more, I would be permanently banned.
Old November 6, 2003, 05:39   #122
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 11:49
Re: Re: Ned, you've got to work on your posting style
Quote:
Originally posted by Ned

You know, Krazyhorse, I very strongly object to you as a person. But I will stop there, because if I were to say more, I would be permanently banned.
Translation: You and your kind are of the most evil that has ever walked the Earth.
I wasn't about to led Ned forget this very unbiased and tolerant comment

Krazy...Just remember most people aren't quite as extreme as him, and that you can't blame a whole party on one person :0
Old November 6, 2003, 07:44   #123
mindseye
King

Local Time: 19:49
Ned, a question: I was wondering if you were through conflating "conservatives" with "the people", or if you planned on keeping that up for a while.
Old November 6, 2003, 11:03   #124
KrazyHorse
Deity

Local Time: 07:49
Quote:
Originally posted by Zylka

HAHAHAHA you do know that her works are regarded as a complete joke in the proffessional community?

Oh boy! Another uneducated idiot of a self absorbed lesbian wants me to read The Handmaid's Tale as part of our "classic" literature course. WHAT AN ARTICULATE, CHILLING VIEW OF THE FUTURE THAT PILE OF S*** WAS
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old November 6, 2003, 11:21   #125
Theben
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
Thank you. It's amazing how much better a person you can become once you stop giving a ****.
Truly words to live by.
I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned
Old November 6, 2003, 11:24   #126
Theben
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by KrazyHorse
What the **** am I supposed to tell them, other than:
"Congratulations; I just finished correcting your midterms, and you've achieved a class average of 55% on a test which bordered on trivial. I'm giving up on being your TA and will instead devote the rest of my life to training fleas to swim. It couldn't possibly be more frustrating".
Tell them next time, you're going to upload their inane answers, names and all, to Rush Limbaugh so that the next time he goes on an education rant, he'll have plenty of moron material with names to attribute to them.

FEAR: The great motivator.
I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned
Old November 6, 2003, 12:04   #127
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

They'll also hit Rush up for drugs. Watch it, Krazy, or you'll be contributing to a criminal enterprise!
Old November 6, 2003, 12:05   #128
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
Truly words to live by.
Very Daoist, I think.
Old November 6, 2003, 12:50   #129
Tingkai
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
This kind of sentiment only goes to show that Canada has fallen into a great abyss of ignorance that even a great leader such as Reagan could not rescue her from.
Great leader???? Well I guess if Kim il jong is a Great leader then Reagan could be too.

But in the real world, Reagan was a putz. What is he famous for. Well, he made Americans feel good. He made Americans laugh. In other words, he was a clown.

Everyone cheer for Ronald the Clown!

A great leader? No. Washington was a great leader, holding the colonial army together through years of defeat. Lincoln was a great leader, holding the union together when the rebs were winning. Then there was FDR, helping to keep democracy alive when the idiot republicans tied his hands behind his back.

And let's face it. Reagan was a stinking coward. When men of courage, like JFK, LBJ and Bush Sr, were risking their lives fighting for democracy, where was Ronnie? Hiding in Hollywood. He was no better than Bush Junior.

America has produced some of the greatest leaders the world has ever seen. True men of action who deserve respect. Men like Teddy Roosevelt, Eisenhower, Jefferson, Grant, Lee, JFK, and Wilson. These are men to admire. Reagan was nothing but a chicken **** liar, a blot on the greatness of American leaders.
Old November 6, 2003, 12:58   #130
Q Classic
Emperor

Local Time: 06:49
Quote:
Great leader???? Well I guess if Kim il jong is a Great leader then Reagan could be too.
please get your terminology straight. Kim Jong Il's father, Kim Il Sung, was the Great Leader and President for Life. Kim Jong Il is just the Dear Leader.

Old November 6, 2003, 13:02   #131
Tingkai
Prince

okay, Reagan was to America what kim il sung was to North Korea.
Old November 6, 2003, 17:42   #132
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by mindseye
Ned, a question: I was wondering if you were through conflating "conservatives" with "the people", or if you planned on keeping that up for a while.
Mindseye, how do you describe a mass movement of a majority of the population otherwise? As I observed, in California millions signed petitions to recall Davis. He was recalled in a landslide vote. 62% voted Republican to replace him. This in a state where Republicans are a minority. Clearly, a lot more people than extreme right wingers joined this movement to uninstall Davis.

Reagan was twice elected with huge majorities. In his second term, Mondale took only one state in opposition. Clearly there were a lot of people who voted for him who are not conservatives.

Unless you can prove to me otherwise, a majority of the citizens are the people in my book.
Old November 6, 2003, 18:47   #133
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Then there was FDR, helping to keep democracy alive when the idiot republicans tied his hands behind his back
I call bullshit of the highest possible degree. FDR did more to undermine the Constitution than any recent president I know of.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old November 6, 2003, 18:54   #134
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Tingkai

But in the real world, Reagan was a putz. What is he famous for. Well, he made Americans feel good. He made Americans laugh. In other words, he was a clown.

Everyone cheer for Ronald the Clown!

A great leader? No. Washington was a great leader, holding the colonial army together through years of defeat. Lincoln was a great leader, holding the union together when the rebs were winning. Then there was FDR, helping to keep democracy alive when the idiot republicans tied his hands behind his back.

And let's face it. Reagan was a stinking coward. When men of courage, like JFK, LBJ and Bush Sr, were risking their lives fighting for democracy, where was Ronnie? Hiding in Hollywood. He was no better than Bush Junior.

America has produced some of the greatest leaders the world has ever seen. True men of action who deserve respect. Men like Teddy Roosevelt, Eisenhower, Jefferson, Grant, Lee, JFK, and Wilson. These are men to admire. Reagan was nothing but a chicken **** liar, a blot on the greatness of American leaders.
Oh well. At least I agree with your list of great American leaders.

Tingkai, did you ever have the opportunity to listen to a Reagan speech?
Old November 6, 2003, 19:30   #135
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:
America has produced some of the greatest leaders the world has ever seen. True men of action who deserve respect. Men like Teddy Roosevelt, Eisenhower, Jefferson, Grant, Lee, JFK, and Wilson.
You say Reagan wasn't a great leader and then put JFK and Wilson on your list. I guess that, at the very least, shows your opinion has little worth .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old November 6, 2003, 19:38   #136
Ned
King

Here is Reagan's inaugural speech delivered at a time of the Iran crisis, the Afghan invasion, the failure of Vietnam, 19% inflation, a failing economy, and Carter's "malaise" where he blamed the decline of America on the people.

http://gi.grolier.com/presidents/sound/reagan.au
Old November 6, 2003, 20:51   #137
Tingkai
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Quote:
America has produced some of the greatest leaders the world has ever seen. True men of action who deserve respect. Men like Teddy Roosevelt, Eisenhower, Jefferson, Grant, Lee, JFK, and Wilson.
You say Reagan wasn't a great leader and then put JFK and Wilson on your list. I guess that, at the very least, shows your opinion has little worth .
Well I was drunk and flying high after just seeing Neil Young in concert. JFK was not a great president, and neither was Grant although both served their countries during wartime. I don't know why I had Wilson on the list.

Last edited by Tingkai; November 6, 2003 at 20:59.
Old November 6, 2003, 21:19   #138
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Why is this so hard!

Freedom of speech does not allow you to defame or slander somone. If the documentary tells lies about aperson, it ought not to be shown.
Old November 7, 2003, 00:06   #139
Ned
King

From my understanding, CBS intended to protray a love story between Ronnie and Nancy. They did not intend to launch into a factually questionable hit piece. The people who turned it into that should be "fired." Perhaps CBS should sue if the people are not CBS employees.
Old November 7, 2003, 05:40   #140
mindseye
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned

Mindseye, how do you describe a mass movement of a majority of the population otherwise?
(...)
Unless you can prove to me otherwise, a majority of the citizens are the people in my book.
I was talking about your claims that "the people" rose up to protest against the miniseries.
Old November 7, 2003, 12:06   #141
Ned
King

mindseye, to be accurate, only the protesters rose up in protest. However, if we were to conduct a survey of the whole of the US, the question is whether the majority agree with what the protesters had to say. I believe they would, primarily because Reagan was a popular president and because most people believe that a movie that is said to be "truthful" actually be "truthful."

Also, and get this, a defender of the movie's inaccuracies actually said on one of the networks that political comment could include deliberate lies.

I am sure that part of the reason that CBS cancelled the show was that this is not an accurate summary of the law.
Old November 7, 2003, 13:08   #142
Tripledoc
ACDG The Human Hive
Chieftain

Someone said "tremendous public outcry". Did anyone hear anything? The fact is that when culture is something that has to be kicked upwards and decided upon by commitee on 'relevance', then, my friends, that is Fascism. Enjoy.
Old November 7, 2003, 13:27   #143
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Tripledoc
Someone said "tremendous public outcry". Did anyone hear anything? The fact is that when culture is something that has to be kicked upwards and decided upon by commitee on 'relevance', then, my friends, that is Fascism. Enjoy.
I'm sorry, Tripledoc, but I didn't understand your point. Could you please elaborate? For example, what do you mean by a "committee?"
Old November 7, 2003, 16:05   #144
Tripledoc
ACDG The Human Hive
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned

I'm sorry, Tripledoc, but I didn't understand your point. Could you please elaborate? For example, what do you mean by a "committee?"
Well what I meant was that a televison programme, a play in fact, is a cultural expression and as such should be allowed a certain freedom with 'truth'. It should not be up to anyone in particular to decide whether that is relevant for the public to enjoy - that should be decided by the people themselves, the public, who I gather are not naive and as such can pass judgment on quality and relevance themselves.

This case is a flagrant example of a struggle of values over what the 'right' culture should be, and it has been overly politizised. It is as if it has not been understood that the health and strength of a country's culture derives from the fact that cultural expression will still be able to express certain fundamental commonly shared values, however weird and strange they might seem to some, no matter how corrupted and politicized. If there is no agreement on what these values should be (and such disagreement will always synthesise into new avenues of approach eventually) that is in fact a good thing. Then it is mistaken to think that a healthier society will result if people are forced to adopt a certain cultural mindset to be set in stone for time eternal. In the end that will result in less culture, and hence the strength of the nation will suffer from it. It is national suicide.
Old November 7, 2003, 20:00   #145
Ned
King

Tripledoc, I understand your point. Oliver Stone made great a movie called "JFK." In that movie, Stone basically said that he believe that LBJ was behind the plot to assassinate Kennedy. Now, at the time he made it, no one tried to censor the movie because Stone was lying or that the movie was biased against Johnson. Why? Because one knew it was "fiction" and/or Stone's opinion.

What made "Reagan" different is that it was presented as a truthful biography. And yet it was not that. It was a smear piece filled with untruths and mischaraterizations. The Republican Party chief said that he would withdraw his objections to the movie if CBS simply would agree that it was fiction and say so in its broadcast.

The subtle difference between the two should be self evident. One was clearly fiction and/or political comment. The other amounted to defamation.
Old November 7, 2003, 21:50   #146
Lincoln
King

Well this kid actually saw the movie and this is what he thinks of SeeBS:

Old November 7, 2003, 22:42   #147
MrFun
Emperor

@ Lincoln
Old November 7, 2003, 23:37   #148
molly bloom
King

Local Time: 21:49
Breaking news: C.B.S. will make a new film based on the life of St. Reagan of the Afternoon Nap, in which famous scenes such as his discovery of the cure for cancer, his single handed defeat of the Red Army and his swimming of the Atlantic will be portrayed as accurately as possible.

Daniel Ortega will be played by Satan, Alexander Haig will played by Charlton Heston, Nancy Reagan by the Virgin Mary, and/or Ann Coulter.

Public recitals of his famous speeches will be compulsory. People will be required, however, to leave their brains in a jar when viewing, and to suspend disbelief.

I don't know what you're talking about by international law. G.W. Bush, 12/03
Old November 8, 2003, 02:49   #149
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by molly bloom
Breaking news: C.B.S. will make a new film based on the life of St. Reagan of the Afternoon Nap, in which famous scenes such as his discovery of the cure for cancer, his single handed defeat of the Red Army and his swimming of the Atlantic will be portrayed as accurately as possible.

Daniel Ortega will be played by Satan, Alexander Haig will played by Charlton Heston, Nancy Reagan by the Virgin Mary, and/or Ann Coulter.

Public recitals of his famous speeches will be compulsory. People will be required, however, to leave their brains in a jar when viewing, and to suspend disbelief.
Molly, this post was truly unnecessary. Reagan was a great president and is beloved by most Americans.
Old November 8, 2003, 05:58   #150
molly bloom
King

Local Time: 21:49
Quote:
Originally posted by Ned

Molly, this post was truly unnecessary. Reagan was a great president and is beloved by most Americans.
Yes, Ned whatever you say. Because St. Reagan of the Blessed Cliche, Holy Reagan of the Secondhand Speech, The Divine Conducator of the Grenadan Invaders, can do no wrong.

For he alone has the Non Greying spirit hair, he alone is possessed of the Gipper Will, he alone is bearer of the Sacred Theses of Monetarism, as was sounded abroad by his disciple, St. Milton of the Friedman.

I believe similar naive cults of personality also abounded in the Communist world. Perhaps you might like to treat your politicians as ordinary human beings, rather than plaster saints. Seems to work for the rest of the world- well, outside North Korea that is.

Plaster saints with feet of clay....

I don't know what you're talking about by international law. G.W. Bush, 12/03