View Poll Results: Will you read Conquest specific threads on gameplay before playing Conquests?
No, I first want to experience it for myself! 5 17.86%
Yes, I want to read threads on C3C gameplay! 23 82.14%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 4, 2003, 09:58   #1
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 07:50
Local Date: November 2, 2010
To Forum or Not to Forum
As a famous playwright and theatre builder so eloquenlty stated many years ago...That is the question!

I won't be able to purchase and play C3C until this weekend. I'm completely torn whether I should come to the 'Poly forums and read player's Conquest comments and experiences.... I think I want to be surprised and develop/discover my own strategies.

So I put the question to you: Will you read Conquest specific threads on 'Poly regarding gameplay and strategy before you get a chance to play Conquests yourself?
Old November 4, 2003, 10:35   #2
Brundlefly
Prince

I will monitor the bug threads for a couple weeks. If there are too many bugs, I will wait for the first patch until I purchase.
Old November 4, 2003, 10:52   #3
mimi
Warlord

I'll be foruming WHILE I play... hahahaahahhahaha
Old November 4, 2003, 10:54   #4
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 12:50
I said no but it depends on what happens. It will take a little while for those who have just got C3C to get to anything beyond the fairly obvious so I would not expect anything earth shattering in the threads before I get mine on the 14th and will probably keep an eye on them.

If, on the other hand, a horde of beta testers have been waiting to unburden themselves about how clever they are and what cool strategies they have developed I will avoid the forums completely.

Let's see.
Old November 4, 2003, 12:09   #5
Tall Stranger
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
Warlord

I plan to monitor info on the basics: gameplay, bugs, cool features, changes. However, I won't read any stories about any specific conquest scenario, since I want the experience to be a surprise.
Old November 4, 2003, 12:10   #6
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by CerberusIV
If, on the other hand, a horde of beta testers have been waiting to unburden themselves about how clever they are and what cool strategies they have developed I will avoid the forums completely.

Let's see.
Good point...I'm especially concerned about learning of new exploits. I want to enjoy the game as it is intended.
Old November 4, 2003, 12:22   #7
georges bonbon
Warlord

Local Time: 11:50
I do not know for the moment.

So there should be a third option.
Old November 4, 2003, 12:56   #8
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 12:50
I will look for information about the gameplay effects of agricultural/seafaring traits and scientific Great Leaders. Also, I'm interested in the smaller rule changes to the main game, because Firaxis and Breakaway really seem to have listened to the modding community.
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old November 4, 2003, 14:32   #9
grappleman
Chieftain

i'd much rather read about it if i cant play it. That way i dont have any misconceptions when i do get my hands on the game!
Old November 4, 2003, 15:18   #10
G'Kar
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 05:50
No, I won't read detailed gameplay threads first. I won't have time... I have to go buy this thing.
Old November 4, 2003, 17:47   #11
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 21:50
well as conquest sis always dleayed somewhat in release down under i will have to read the forums first s tha tis all i will have access to.
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old November 4, 2003, 18:03   #12
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I see no reason to not read any interesting post. I don't have to incorporate strats, just because I see them, even if they are superior. I can still appreciate them and they can lead to other ideas, why invent what has already been invented?

As to any scenarios, I would forgot anything I read on them, long before I ever play them, if I ever play them. So far I have not played any, although I did finally play some in CivII (after years).
Old November 4, 2003, 18:25   #13
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 13:50
hi ,

great idea

now its up to the owners , .....

Mark , Dan

have a nice day
Old November 4, 2003, 18:49   #14
TheArsenal
Apolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 04:50
Sure I’ll read the posts. As far as the epic game goes, although a lot of cool stuff has been implemented, there is nothing so revolutionary as to be a game spoiler for me. And it would be more than a bit ironic if after absorbing all these scraps of information and rumors from various sources of varying levels of accountability all over the web prior to release, I suddenly decide to shun direct information from people whose play styles and viewpoints I am better aquainted with once it is here.

On the other hand, I have been particularly interested in playing the WWII Pacific scenario. Because that (from what I understand) will start off, at least, very different from anything seen so far, I will avoid those posts until after I have played a game.

- edit: clarity
Old November 4, 2003, 22:37   #15
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

hmmmm...

There is some merit in avoiding scenario specific threads.

What fun would the Age of Discovery be if you already knew all about it and had seen the map? I played it early in the beta, and I have to say the exploration part of it was a lot of fun.

If you never read the last page of a book first, then avoid the threads. If, OTOH you always read the last page first, then dive in. That would be my advice.
Old November 4, 2003, 22:40   #16
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Rasputin
well as conquest sis always dleayed somewhat in release down under i will have to read the forums first s tha tis all i will have access to.
This time you are not alone.

Due to the accelerated schedule for release, a lot of people won't have it for a while.

I called all over today in my city, no store had the game. Next Tuesday is the earliest prospect, and I'm not hopeful for that.
Old November 4, 2003, 22:47   #17
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

I will probably be checking the Forum as I want to get up to speed quickly for all the PBEMs and DemoGames I've already committed to.
Old November 6, 2003, 08:12   #18
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 23:50
I certainly will, being in an even worse situation than Rasputin, as the game has to reach Oz first, before being shipped to me in NZ around the 18th!

Although I take the point about working out your own strats, you don't need to use strats you read about, and I have successfully upped my difficulty of play in PtW thanks to DGs and the Strat forum, which actually enhanced the fun I was having, as I had to change my strategy depending on the difficulties I was facing. Much more satisfying if you have a whole lot of ways to approach a challenge rather than being frustrated over and over.

After all, that's exactly what writing is for - to pass on already learned information so the rest of us can keep pushing beyond that.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old November 6, 2003, 09:33   #19
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 13:50
I'll sure will read the threads here while I wait. I might have to wait untill Christmas, since I have some other games I'm waiting on, but then I'll have the possibility to get a more polished game AND more freetime.
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Old November 6, 2003, 13:48   #20
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

I would have voted had there been an 'all of the above' option. I plan on playing and reading and playing and reading and...
Old November 9, 2003, 08:04   #21
pedrojedi
Prince

Local Time: 08:50
I like to read about the cool new things they put in the game, and about the errors that should be patched, though that makes me somewhat sad.
Old November 9, 2003, 11:45   #22
Kuciwalker
Deity

There's no banana option...
Old November 9, 2003, 15:46   #23
busterchaplin
Settler

I haven't bought a turn-based strategy game since I got burned with Civ:CTP (although I did get some fun out of it). I'll watch the general concensus and delve into finer details if it turns sour. My viewpoint will be somewhat different, since I, as of yet, don't own Civ3.
Old November 9, 2003, 16:47   #24
Kuciwalker
Deity

Civilization series != Ctp series.
Old November 10, 2003, 20:44   #25
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 23:50
I don;t think you mean Civ series = CtP series, sky.

They ahve the same name and broadly similar features, but very different gameplay and each has a very unique style.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old November 10, 2003, 21:26   #26
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Not to mention creators.