Old November 4, 2003, 12:30   #1
georges bonbon
Warlord

Local Time: 11:51
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Civfanatics, Apolyton and Firaxis.
Looking back at announcements about Conquests for the last weeks, I am under the impression that Firaxis considers Civfanatics as a preferred supplier for information to Apolyton.

Firaxis people are more active on Civfanatics than Apolyton boards.

Is this a correct impression?

If so, why?
Old November 4, 2003, 12:42   #2
dojoboy
Mac
Prince

Local Time: 07:51
Well, if it was to be true, its probably due to Civfanatics being geared toward the Civilization series primarily while Apolyton appeals to more strategy games in general.
Old November 4, 2003, 14:08   #3
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

I think dojoboy has it about right. For example, we got all kinds of cool news and interviews from the developers of GalCiv and Rise of Nations, which CivFanatics don't even cover.

/edit: we also had several Call to Power developers posting here a lot (one still does).

Last edited by FrustratedPoet; November 4, 2003 at 14:34.
Old November 4, 2003, 14:29   #4
grappleman
Chieftain

yeah, i agree with you guys on that one. Especially as of late. Civfanatics has gotten the release of governments and several other categories of information over the last few days. But good point by dojoboy, apolyton is more geared towards strategy games in general.
Old November 4, 2003, 15:05   #5
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
P*sses me off.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old November 4, 2003, 15:20   #6
TechWins
King

Local Time: 04:51
I know for sure that before the release of Civ3 that there were a lot more Firaxians posting here at Poly than over at CFC. Then after the release a lot Poly people had some mean stuff to say to Firaxians. Firaxians got upset and decided not to post as much here instead over at CFC. That's basically what happened.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old November 4, 2003, 15:33   #7
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 13:51
Quote:
Then after the release a lot Poly people had some mean stuff to say to Firaxians.
???
Could you link some threads?
Old November 4, 2003, 15:39   #8
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Try a search for "culture flipping", "collector's edition" and "robust editor", that should be a good place to start.

(we really did get screwed on the editor thing IMHO .. not that that makes Firaxis bad people or anything)
Old November 4, 2003, 15:43   #9
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

It seems reasonable to suggest that it was all Infogrames' fault anyway, but what the hell...
Old November 4, 2003, 15:47   #10
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Try a search for "culture flipping", "collector's edition" and "robust editor", that should be a good place to start.
Ahh, but nothing recently?

Soren still browses from time to time though
Old November 4, 2003, 15:53   #11
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

No I haven't seen anything recently. A few months after Civ3 came out all the whingers left. There was some harsh criticism (again, mostly justified IMHO) about the implementation of MP in PTW after that came out, though.
Old November 4, 2003, 16:19   #12
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by TechWins
I know for sure that before the release of Civ3 that there were a lot more Firaxians posting here at Poly than over at CFC. Then after the release a lot Poly people had some mean stuff to say to Firaxians. Firaxians got upset and decided not to post as much here instead over at CFC. That's basically what happened.
This was the impression I had. It looked to me that once people on Apolyton started turning up a considerable amount of heat, the Firaxis team got very frustrated and decided to go elsewhere. I can't say a blame them, considering a lot of the nasty, childish behavior from posters. Who wants to read the spiteful rants of the hour from Coracle all day?
Old November 4, 2003, 16:20   #13
alva
Deity

Coracle posts (posted?) at CFC too.
Old November 4, 2003, 16:21   #14
WarpStorm
King

Local Time: 06:51
Oh Coracle was on CFC also (under his alias).
Old November 4, 2003, 16:21   #15
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by FrustratedPoet
A few months after Civ3 came out all the whingers left.
That's a wee bit of an exaggeration. There were plenty of whingers around a lot longer than that.
Old November 4, 2003, 16:26   #16
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

I suppose that depends on your definition of "a few". And by 'whingers' I meant people who had totally pointless complaints about the game, which basically amounted to them feeling betrayed and exploited because it wasn't their own personal gaming nirvana. Those idiots left pretty early on. The people who had genuine and sensible, well-articulated, problems with the game stuck around for longer and helped make the forum an interesting place.
Old November 4, 2003, 17:12   #17
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 08:51
Come on, everybody knows Firaxis hates us. We are always harassing them to work on SMAC 2 (CFC doesn't even know what it is), we always have smart responses to whatever they post and we have Fez. Reason enough for them to hate us.
Old November 4, 2003, 17:18   #18
TechWins
King

I think Yin32 scared them off the most with his posts. He trashed Firaxis big time, but I think a lot of it was the truth. Coracle had mainly stupid rants, whereas, Yin32 had more precise posts.

Oh yeah, FP, don't forget to mention to do a search on Multiplayer. I'm sure you can find tons of compliments towards Firaxis on that one.

EDIT: nm it's Yin26 not Yin32. Close enough.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old November 4, 2003, 18:11   #19
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I felt that after 3 months the complaints were just boring. In the beginning, it was valid to point out short comings and there were many, espcially MP. Later it was tiresome to read the umpteenth post about PTW sucks, I don't like the culture flip, or combat or you name it.
In any event, the Firaxis people, should be able to deal with any negative post and not respond childishly, I am taking my ball and going home, if that is what occurred.
Old November 4, 2003, 18:18   #20
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 23:51
There are at least 4 Breakaway guys in the chat right now, so we aren't being ignored, per se.

Don't worry - Firaxis will recognise us as the best again when our team wins the Intersite PBEM Democracy Game!

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old November 4, 2003, 19:51   #21
zorbop
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 05:51
Re: Civfanatics, Apolyton and Firaxis.
Quote:
Originally posted by georges bonbon
Looking back at announcements about Conquests for the last weeks, I am under the impression that Firaxis considers Civfanatics as a preferred supplier for information to Apolyton.

Firaxis people are more active on Civfanatics than Apolyton boards.

Is this a correct impression?

If so, why?
does it matter? arn't we all members of both forums anyway?
Old November 4, 2003, 20:03   #22
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 08:51
Re: Re: Civfanatics, Apolyton and Firaxis.
Quote:
Originally posted by zorbop

arn't we all members of both forums anyway?
I am, but there are lots of poster who aren't, or have inactive accounts at that site (mine is sort of inactive now, I think I last posted there in July).
Old November 4, 2003, 20:26   #23
PrinceBimz
Prince

Re: Re: Civfanatics, Apolyton and Firaxis.
Quote:
Originally posted by zorbop

does it matter? arn't we all members of both forums anyway?
Took the words right out of my mouth! Yes come on people we all go to both sites anyway. I am a member at both sites and I visit them almost equally. If they had 4 sites as good as these two I would be going to all 4. I am thankful that we have these awesome sites, they both rule. As long as they are both still up and running I am happy.
Old November 4, 2003, 21:00   #24
TechWins
King

I think I have oh maybe 2 or 3 posts at CFC. I have no reason to post at two different sites about the same topics. Plus I found Poly first, and I heard Poly beat up CFC before. So no way am I going to post over at the weaker CFC.

j/k CFC is a good site, but I still have no reason to post over there.
Old November 4, 2003, 22:08   #25
Soren Johnson
PtWDG Gathering StormC4WDG The GooniesC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 ParticipantsApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Realms Beyond
Civilization IV Lead Designer

Local Time: 06:51
Oh, we're still around... the two sites are different beasts though. Civfanatics sort of co-evolved with Civ3 (a lot of newer posters) whereas Apolyton has a pretty long history and wider scope. In other words, there is always someone here to remind us of our past mistakes...
Old November 4, 2003, 22:09   #26
SirOsis
Civilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 12:51
Poly is my home! I stop by CFC occasionally but almost always post here. I did complain about PTW because it was painfully pathetic on release. From the previews of Conquests they will be redeemed if it is half as good as it sounds.
Old November 4, 2003, 22:21   #27
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I visit CFC, but almost never post.
Old November 4, 2003, 22:23   #28
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

My recollection is that Firaxis lost a lot of interest in Poly around the time of PTW coming out. I'm not sure that was because of a plethora of negative posts or not, however...

Civ3 at Poly has not had an active moderator since MarkG seemed to give up on it (from what I can tell). Ming doesn't even play it (I assume from things I've read). Much of the old guard of Poly look at it as the ugly step child of Civ 2 or SMAC, or something. What dioes all that mean? Well to Firaxis and Atari it looks as if the powers that be of this site aren't really interested in their product. There is a residual attachment, and a large Civ3 poster base so they still pay Poly some attention, but wouldn't you focus on where the owners and moderators are 'fanatics' about your product if you had a choice?

I will say that I appreciate the open atmosphere of Poly a lot. Be that as it may, some of the stuff that was being tolerated in the PTW threads never would have been allowed if someone who cared had been paying attention. I think AH making up stories about Australian consumer law keeping Infogrames from releasing PTW in Australia, and repeatedly bringing it up (which subsequently got reported as news on this site) just about takes the cake. That, and some of the other pure trolls that were tolerated would have led me to conclude that my efforts were better spent elsewhere had I been making that decision as a publisher/developer.

At any rate, that is my POV. I'm sure some will differ.

Last edited by notyoueither; November 4, 2003 at 22:29.
Old November 4, 2003, 22:51   #29
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

My money is on the fact that Apoly had a LOT of downtime and operational issues during the Conquests Beta and development phase. I think that had more to do with it than just a dislike of Apoly.
Old November 5, 2003, 00:35   #30
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
My recollection is that Firaxis lost a lot of interest in Poly around the time of PTW coming out. I'm not sure that was because of a plethora of negative posts or not, however...

Civ3 at Poly has not had an active moderator since MarkG seemed to give up on it (from what I can tell). Ming doesn't even play it (I assume from things I've read). Much of the old guard of Poly look at it as the ugly step child of Civ 2 or SMAC, or something. What dioes all that mean? Well to Firaxis and Atari it looks as if the powers that be of this site aren't really interested in their product. There is a residual attachment, and a large Civ3 poster base so they still pay Poly some attention, but wouldn't you focus on where the owners and moderators are 'fanatics' about your product if you had a choice?

I will say that I appreciate the open atmosphere of Poly a lot. Be that as it may, some of the stuff that was being tolerated in the PTW threads never would have been allowed if someone who cared had been paying attention. I think AH making up stories about Australian consumer law keeping Infogrames from releasing PTW in Australia, and repeatedly bringing it up (which subsequently got reported as news on this site) just about takes the cake. That, and some of the other pure trolls that were tolerated would have led me to conclude that my efforts were better spent elsewhere had I been making that decision as a publisher/developer.

At any rate, that is my POV. I'm sure some will differ.
As always, I take my hat off and bow to nye as... one of the wise.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.