Old November 5, 2003, 09:22   #1
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 05:56
Local Date: November 2, 2010
problem in Civ3, did they fix?
one of the most annoying things for me, since I use bombardment, is that it takes so long to bombard

it takes so many more movements to bombard a square than to attack it

there should be a way to tell all your units (or evenbetter some portion) in one square to bombard another square

Jon Miller
Old November 5, 2003, 09:29   #2
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 13:56
I never use it ( I like total control) but isn't that in already ???
alva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2003, 09:37   #3
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

I know that you can have all your troops attack one spot

I didn't know you can have all your bombard troops bombard one spot

Jon Miller
Old November 5, 2003, 09:48   #4
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 04:56
No, in PTW you couldn't tell all your bombards in a tile to attack at once. It would be impractical and raise more complaints than resolve. I know, it can take some time; I never have more than 6 artillery in a single stack (personal "house rule").

I like being able to say "ok, that's enough, the assault units will take it from here" and allow the remaining artillery to advance.

("Almost" no one has C3C yet, anyhow)
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Jaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2003, 09:50   #5
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

You are talking about stack bombardment, aren't you? I'm 99% sure that you can't. Alva is probably talking about auto-bombard, which tells a unit to continously bombard a tile for several turns, until there is nothing left to bombard. Better than nothing, but it is still not what we want.

Let's hope that they included stack-bombardment in Conquests, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
--Woody Allen
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2003, 09:57   #6
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

I usually have 12 or so bombard units in a main army

Jon Miller
Old November 5, 2003, 09:59   #7
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

(that is catapult timeframe, I have more later)

Jon Miller
Old November 5, 2003, 10:03   #8
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaybe
It would be impractical and raise more complaints than resolve. I know, it can take some time; I never have more than 6 artillery in a single stack (personal "house rule").
Why would it be impractical? When I attack a 20+ metro with 30+ arties I just hate it to repeat the bombarding procedure 30+ times. It is almost as frustrating as having half of your bombard units missing their target. Why do I have to level a city to finally damage a bit the defending MIs is beyond my understanding.

This is why I hate the modern era, btw. Sending 30+ bombers to attack the enemy, then bombarding the enemy with 30+ artileries and 10+ battleships and then finally moving the 100-200 tanks to finish the job is just sooo tedious. (even if I don't use all of them in the same turn)
--Woody Allen
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2003, 13:33   #9
RobC
Warlord

Local Time: 03:56
The best way for stack bombard to be implemented IMHO, is for it to continue to bombard until you run out of bombarding units in the stack OR the target tile has nothing left to bombard (for example, it shouldn't continue to bomb after all the enemy units are down to 1HP outside of cities at least). This is how stack attack should work, too -- as much as I loved it when they added stack attack, I wish it would stop moving ALL of my units into the target tile and wasting movement points; I would prefer that once the target tile was clear of units, no more of my stack would auto move/attack that tile.
RobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2003, 16:55   #10
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 07:56
Quote:
Originally posted by Tiberius
You are talking about stack bombardment, aren't you? I'm 99% sure that you can't. Alva is probably talking about auto-bombard, which tells a unit to continously bombard a tile for several turns, until there is nothing left to bombard. Better than nothing, but it is still not what we want.
Agreed, it's probably auto bombardment.

There are times that I have set a sea unit to auto-bombard a city, and it forgets the order in the next turn. Has that happened to anyone else? If so, I hope that is fixed in C3C
Shogun Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2003, 17:19   #11
Sinapus
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Shogun Gunner

Agreed, it's probably auto bombardment.

There are times that I have set a sea unit to auto-bombard a city, and it forgets the order in the next turn. Has that happened to anyone else? If so, I hope that is fixed in C3C
I've had auto-bombard fail for units w/range 1 bombard. Probably because it detects an enemy unit next to it and prompts for orders. Haven't noticed much w/units that have 2+ range.
Old November 5, 2003, 18:43   #12
WarpStorm
King

Local Time: 06:56
You wouldn't believe how many times I've asked for stack bombard.
Old November 5, 2003, 20:02   #13
RobC
Warlord

Local Time: 03:56
Quote:
Originally posted by WarpStorm
You wouldn't believe how many times I've asked for stack bombard.
I would.
RobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2003, 21:18   #14
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sinapus

I've had auto-bombard fail for units w/range 1 bombard. Probably because it detects an enemy unit next to it and prompts for orders. Haven't noticed much w/units that have 2+ range.
Hmmm...that would explain why it happens to the ironclads and destroyers...but never air units. Well, you suggestion is likely the reason, but what's the use of autobombard then???

I guess it doesn't matter...I'm used to all the micromanagement.
Old November 5, 2003, 21:20   #15
Shogun Gunner
Emperor

Not exactly something that is broken, but....

Why can't we tell the artillery to shoot at units OR buildings. It seems like you have to level the entire city to hurt the soldiers. I recognize that some randomness is good -- aiming at a target is not always successful, but it seems that you should be able to direct your fire at a specific target and not just "due east" or wherever the city lies....

/rant off
Old November 5, 2003, 21:39   #16
WarpStorm
King

Local Time: 06:56
Quote:
Originally posted by RobC
I would.
Yeah, I guess you would, Rob.
Old November 5, 2003, 22:30   #17
G'Kar
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by RobC
The best way for stack bombard to be implemented IMHO, is for it to continue to bombard until you run out of bombarding units in the stack OR the target tile has nothing left to bombard (for example, it shouldn't continue to bomb after all the enemy units are down to 1HP outside of cities at least).
That's the way it should work.
G'Kar is offline   Reply With Quote