Old November 5, 2003, 12:24   #1
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 07:56
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Civilization V - My wishlist
I was thinking about the ultimate extension of the "Civ concept". For me, I would like to see a future version of civilization to include.

1. A large number of civilizations - perhaps up to 200, just like the real world.

2. Every single historical military unit/weapon represented in the game. Instead of just building "infantrymen" you would select the technology (rifles in this case). I would love dozens of choices of armored vehicles instead of just Tanks or Modern Armor.

3. More complex battles - something much more based on the CTP2 battle system. Perhaps even directing some basic tactical strategy (charge up the middle, defend, retreating defense, etc). I want different results other than complete defeat or complete victory.

4. I would like to control the scale of the grid. Perhaps I want to play a strategic game where one square is a city (like today's Civ), perhaps I want to play that I typical size 12 city takes up nine squares. Of course Sn00py would be contracted for improvements in map design.

5. I would like to have each civilization have at least three choices of leader. Each leader would have it's own personality. I would tap GenghisFarb to design all Figureheads. Countries have had different "personalities" throughout history - so a country could be "expansionist" at one point, then "commercial" later, for example.

6. Diplomacy. It must be better. I should not be able to detect the difference between the computer AI and a person based on their gameplay.

I know this is far beyond the scope of today's technology, programming constraints, profitability for Atari (or whoever) and the patience of most Civilization users. LIke I said, my wishlist.

I'm going to start building my "Civilization Arena" in the basement. One room will be my command center with the best leather chair money can buy. One room will house the supercomputer. I won't need a bed as I will be playing 24x7 -- I'll just doze off in the command center. I'll need a library for research, a kitchen/bath and a tanning bed because I will never see the light of the sun again.
Shogun Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2003, 12:28   #2
Stuie
King

Are you giving up on Civ IV already??
Stuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2003, 12:47   #3
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Do you think any of that is even achievable in Civ V?

Perhaps more like Civ XXV
Old November 5, 2003, 14:27   #4
spy14
Prince

Local Time: 11:56
Imagine the thinking lag when removing a harbour in a game with 200 Civs
Old November 5, 2003, 15:07   #5
Brent
Prince

Local Time: 03:56
I like 1, 4 and 5, but not 2, 3, or 6. 200 options for civs would be great, but the option to have all of them in one game I don't care as much about. I would like the whole game to be scaleable. I would like the option of the game covering a small part of the world. I would like the option to have citizens represent fewer people. I want 2 male choices and 1 female choice for leader. different personalities are good. I don't need figureheads.
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2003, 15:37   #6
G'Kar
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 05:56
I want talking leaderheads, I mean like a movie, they talk to you.

I would also like a more complex battle system but also a more complex city/production system where food and resources can be transferred around the nation.
G'Kar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2003, 17:08   #7
grappleman
Chieftain

Here's a wish that can probably never come true: I want a bug free game on the FIRST try, therefore no patches. If that could happen then I would be a happy camper.
Old November 5, 2003, 18:37   #8
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 08:56
I want advisors who would be able to give me some coffee with lots of sugar from time to time. And I would like to have a virtual whip so I could whip them occasionally, and to hear them screaming with pain when I do it.
Old November 5, 2003, 18:48   #9
Solomwi
lifer
C3CDG Desolation RowPtWDG2 Monty PythonCiv4 SP Democracy GameApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 06:56
Along the lines of your #1, how about barbarian villages that, if left alone for x number of turns, become cities, or have a chance to, thus spawning new civs.
"They say if you give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. But if you teach a man to fish...then he has to get a fishing license. But he doesn't have any money, so he has to get a job and enter the social security system. And he has to file taxes, and you're gonna audit the poor son of a ***** because he's not really good at math. You pull the IRS van up to his house and take everything. You take his velvet Elvis and his toothbrush and his penis pump and that all goes up for auction with the burden of proof on you because you forgot to carry the 1. All because you wanted to eat a fish, and you couldn't even cook the fish because you need a permit for an open flame."
- Doug Stanhope
Solomwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2003, 20:02   #10
Shogun Gunner
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Solomwi
Along the lines of your #1, how about barbarian villages that, if left alone for x number of turns, become cities, or have a chance to, thus spawning new civs.
That's a great idea!!!!
Old November 6, 2003, 10:21   #11
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Solomwi
We already have been able to pull that type of idea off (splinter civs) in Modded CTP2.

As for 200 civs, I'd say play EU2 - there are over 100 viable nations in the game at one time.
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
...aisdhieort...dticcok...
hexagonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2003, 13:13   #12
Shogun Gunner
Emperor

Oh yeah...I also want to bring that military advisor back from Civ2. Wasn't he da bomb? or was it that he got bombed...

I loved those little advisor clips...there's no reason why they couldn't run in the upper right corner of each advisor screen...
Old November 6, 2003, 19:52   #13
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 13:56
hi ,

has anyone tought of the comp specs and diskspace , .......

have a nice day
Panag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2003, 20:29   #14
MattH
King

Re: Civilization V - My wishlist
Quote:
Originally posted by Shogun Gunner
I was thinking about the ultimate extension of the "Civ concept". For me, I would like to see a future version of civilization to include.

1. A large number of civilizations - perhaps up to 200, just like the real world.
Quote:
2. Every single historical military unit/weapon represented in the game. Instead of just building "infantrymen" you would select the technology (rifles in this case). I would love dozens of choices of armored vehicles instead of just Tanks or Modern Armor.
Like SMAC?
Quote:
3. More complex battles - something much more based on the CTP2 battle system. Perhaps even directing some basic tactical strategy (charge up the middle, defend, retreating defense, etc). I want different results other than complete defeat or complete victory.
Medevil: Total War style!
Quote:
4. I would like to control the scale of the grid. Perhaps I want to play a strategic game where one square is a city (like today's Civ), perhaps I want to play that I typical size 12 city takes up nine squares. Of course Sn00py would be contracted for improvements in map design.
Kind of like zoom in SC4K... you get more and more detail
Quote:
5. I would like to have each civilization have at least three choices of leader. Each leader would have it's own personality. I would tap GenghisFarb to design all Figureheads. Countries have had different "personalities" throughout history - so a country could be "expansionist" at one point, then "commercial" later, for example.
Can't be too hard.... Would be great if it changes with your actions (war, tech building, etc.)
Quote:
6. Diplomacy. It must be better. I should not be able to detect the difference between the computer AI and a person based on their gameplay.
I want same-turn responses !

Quote:
I know this is far beyond the scope of today's technology, programming constraints, profitability for Atari (or whoever) and the patience of most Civilization users. LIke I said, my wishlist.
Not really... If a big company like EA got to work, elements from many games could be combined to make super-civ!
Old December 2, 2003, 23:58   #15
Commie Chocobo
Settler

I like #1, but add to that the ability to meld civs and break civs in the dip menu/screen/whatever
Commie Chocobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2003, 00:29   #16
Shogun Gunner
Emperor

Its interesting to think about where this franchise will be five or six years in the future. I still remember being floored by Civ 1. (Mid 90's)

I also recall being floored by Empire on the PC. It had some of the major military units (infantry, battleship, etc) represented by "I" and "B" for example. No stacking and the screen was basically filled with letters representing the square. IIRC, the ocean was little "o" and the cities were "O"...that game was awesome for its time. (1983...i think)

So I disagree with you Panag. Ask someone what their wishlist for improving Empire or even Civ 1 and it would sound outrageous, but highly possible if enough people want the same thing. I think that is the limiting factor (market demand) not disk space or processor power.
Old December 5, 2003, 04:22   #17
The Rusty Gamer
Prince

Local Time: 23:56
Each battle encounter could open up a screen in the likes of the HOMM series where all units, terrain, and city defense improvements (if the attack is in a city) are taken into account and then the battle is played out turn-based.

But maybe we'll even see that in Civ IV.
Old December 5, 2003, 08:40   #18
Shogun Gunner
Emperor

I would think if that was developed, it could also be made as an option. For those who want to play a quicker game, let the computer resolve combat like it does today.

I like this idea a lot... others have mentioned the CTP battle scene, but something a little bit more sophisticated would be cool. This way you could move your whole stack into combat. Something different would need to be done with armies....
Old December 9, 2003, 20:01   #19
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Shogun Gunner
more like Civ XXV
3 dimensional holographic battle projections
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
PLATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9, 2003, 22:08   #20
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
But maybe we'll even see that in Civ IV.
Hopefully not, the CTP battle screen was a resource hog and really didn't add anything to the game.

Civ is about civilizations... not about battles...
Old December 9, 2003, 22:09   #21
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 05:56
I agree

JKon Miller
Old December 9, 2003, 23:25   #22
Shogun Gunner
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkCloud

Hopefully not, the CTP battle screen was a resource hog and really didn't add anything to the game.

Civ is about civilizations... not about battles...
But what about Civ V? Although slightly ridiculous premise, this thread is about Civ 5...
Old March 9, 2005, 18:56   #23
RubbedLung
Settler

After the advent of a political science, you should be able to select from a long laundry list of governmental traits and then create and name your own governemnt.
RubbedLung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2005, 08:23   #24
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by hexagonian
As for 200 civs, I'd say play EU2 - there are over 100 viable nations in the game at one time.
But how do you get so many nations in a non-scenario? I want to build my nation from scratch, but in the only non-scenario* in the game there's only about 8 nations

*Or did I miss a free-play option somewhere?
Adagio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2005, 10:20   #25
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

You right-click on the shields/flags and it should give you a list of other nations to play.
Jon Shafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2005, 10:34   #26
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 12:56
Quote:
Id like to see you try civ3 on a pentium 166, 32mb ram. It didnt hog anything, it showed a zoomed-in picture of the terrain behind the sprites you see on the main map fighting, nothing was unncessary about it.

And the battlescreen was a necessary extension for beginners to show combined arms combat too, but you could turn it off anyway if you thought it was a "hog".
Maquiladora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2005, 12:04   #27
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

WARNING! Major thread revival in sighting!
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Nikolai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2005, 15:32   #28
Brent
Prince

Local Time: 03:56
And I thought this was actually the revival of major discussion around here. Oh well, it seems like a good thing for getting bumped anyway.

1. I'd like every imaginable huistorical cultural group available as a civ. Playing 200 at a time might be nice, but if so I wouldn't want each civ to be distinct. Maybe have gameplay for each civ to be about as complicated as in Civ1 or Civ2. Really the point for me in having many civs to choose from is just the idea of using the civs you identify with, and if you get to use many at a time, the point is simply that and you don't need them to be distinct. But I normally play with only one rival anyway because I like domination and total conquest.

I would definitely want infinite possibilities of civil wars and mergers.

2. To me, there would be absolutely no point.
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2005, 15:35   #29
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Trip
You right-click on the shields/flags and it should give you a list of other nations to play.
I was talking about how do you get this:

Quote:
there are over 100 viable nations in the game at one time
This doesn't seem possible for the only "free-play scenario" (the one called Fantasia) in the game
Adagio is offline   Reply With Quote