Old November 5, 2003, 13:39   #1
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 04:57
Local Date: November 2, 2010
C3C Review thread - Post yours here
I think this should be separate from the "I got it!" threads.

This is for comprehensive reviews of the game from people who have played through it enough to make a good/bad judgment. This way the reviews aren't scattered about and can be easily accessed by us skeptical types looking for more info before buying.
Old November 5, 2003, 14:43   #2
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 13:57
better yet,

FIRST POST YOUR REVIEW AND RATING HERE(YES, CLICK HERE!) then discuss here(e.g. this thread )
MarkG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2003, 15:02   #3
Jack_www
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG LegolandNationStatesNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 03:57
I hope someone here reviews it soon. I have not gotten it yet, and I am waiting to hear what the people of apolyton have to say about it.
Jack_www is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2003, 16:53   #4
TechWins
King

I just got the game and got home with it, but I'm going to see Matrix 3 in around a hour, so I'll post my thoughts about it later tonight. For whatever that is worth.

Btw, Marky Mark, I like that review form idea Good job
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
TechWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2003, 17:19   #5
RobC
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by TechWins
I just got the game and got home with it, but I'm going to see Matrix 3 in around a hour, so I'll post my thoughts about it later tonight. For whatever that is worth.
Thoughts about Civ3 or Matrix3? (actually, I'd be interested in hearing both -- most of the Matrix3 reviews coming out are panning it...)
RobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2003, 17:25   #6
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 06:57
matrix 3 was good for action, and plotholes.

ignoring logic, there was some kickass fighting.
Old November 5, 2003, 19:50   #7
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Getting off topic but I'm not sure what the point of reviewing Matrix: Revolutions is.

Those that loved Matrix and Matrix:Reloaded (except for the cliff-hanger ending of Reloaded) will love Revolutions.

Those that didn't won't like the third either.
joncnunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2003, 20:33   #8
RobC
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkG
better yet,

FIRST POST YOUR REVIEW AND RATING HERE(YES, CLICK HERE!) then discuss here(e.g. this thread )
Do we have to register for a separate account to post a review/rating? It says I'm 'not logged in'
RobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2003, 22:43   #9
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

I'm hoping the striking lack of reviews here or on Mark G's link is an indication that those who have C3C are so addicted and having so much fun that they can't be arsed to post a review...

Anyone? Hello???
Old November 6, 2003, 00:17   #10
Falconius
Prince

I just finished and WON my first Conquest! I played Netherlands in the Age of Discovery on the Monarch level and won a Victory Point Victory 113 turns into the 150 turn scenario. The timer said it took 10 hours and 56 mins!

So far the game is great! I liked the new economic aspect of the game (at least in this scenario). My Dutch built a trade empire in North America. One thing I didn't see mentioned before was the trading posts (gold mines, trapper huts, etc) that produce treasure which must then be transported back to your capital, where both money and Victory points are then awarded to you. Very cool! This changes the whole nature of the game and will be great for mods.

I played non-stop for 11 hours! That should tell you how I feel about the game!
Old November 6, 2003, 04:32   #11
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by RobC
Do we have to register for a separate account to post a review/rating? It says I'm 'not logged in'
if you have cookies enabled and have the option from the control panel enabled, you should be auto-logged.
otherwise, just use your forums username and password
Old November 6, 2003, 05:03   #12
PrinceBimz
Prince

Local Time: 05:57
Man have they improved this game! I don't know where to start. Gang, this is one heck of an expansion! I almost feel like I am playing CIV4 or something. Trust me, go out and get this one as soon as you can find it. You will absolutely love it!
Old November 6, 2003, 10:23   #13
conmcb25
inmate
Civilization III Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization II Succession GamesPtWDG2 MonkeyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliScenario League / Civ2-CreationAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 MorganApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization II MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPolyCast TeamCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Deity

Local Time: 07:57
Well it sounds like it is pretty good, cant wait to get it, Friday for sure I hope!
Old November 6, 2003, 12:39   #14
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Falconius

So far the game is great! I liked the new economic aspect of the game (at least in this scenario). My Dutch built a trade empire in North America. One thing I didn't see mentioned before was the trading posts (gold mines, trapper huts, etc) that produce treasure which must then be transported back to your capital, where both money and Victory points are then awarded to you. Very cool! This changes the whole nature of the game and will be great for mods.
That is interesting since it means there is a reason for a navy again (one of my gripes). I wonder if the concept can be mod-ed into the normal games?
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
SpencerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2003, 12:53   #15
doronron
Settler

that would be cool -- using your navy to bring in luxuries and strat resources from other continents...
doronron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2003, 14:42   #16
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I suspect that many (me) got the game yesterday and have not played enough to make any worthwhile post, other than to say they like it so far. I figure 4-6 games at least to have seen many of the new things and civs.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2003, 15:03   #17
doronron
Settler

been thinking about using ships and such to transfer resources. I'm not too familiar with the editor. Is there a flag in it that creates a "20 turn" availability of certain goods, like the diplomatic trade agreements?

The way I see it, say your enemy is transferring iron from a colony on another continent, and one of your ships catches it on the high seas. You enslave the other ship and gain its resource. You take this resource back to your capital, then you can build swordsmen or something as if it had access to iron for 20 turns.

Would that work?
doronron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2003, 17:17   #18
protista
Settler

Definitely worth purchasing!
Conquests is definitely worth purchasing! After working with it for quite a few hours, I can state that the addition of the "Rise of the Roman Empire" conquest scenario alone is worth the price of upgrading! Easily!

Another positive point is that the program will upgrade both Civ III itself, and the "Play the World" addition to the latest versions. In a sense it is Conquests plus a total, overall upgrade.

When you want to play "Play the World", you have additional civs, landforms, resources, and the latest tweaks already in place for your utilization.
protista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2003, 17:36   #19
Ragnar_84
Settler

Currently playing through ancient age and having a blast!
Ragnar_84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2003, 19:48   #20
SirOsis
Civilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 12:57
I have been playing the tutorial scenarios and they are short really fun Conquests to get you used to the new gameplay elements.

I really like the Three Sisters. Enslavement is great and volcanos are cool. A definate buy.
SirOsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2003, 00:53   #21
Falconius
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by doronron
The way I see it, say your enemy is transferring iron from a colony on another continent, and one of your ships catches it on the high seas. You enslave the other ship and gain its resource. You take this resource back to your capital, then you can build swordsmen or something as if it had access to iron for 20 turns.

Would that work?
No. The gold mines and trapper huts etc require resources in their city radius to build them. But they don't produce the resource, they produce treasure. But yes, you can capture the treasure.
Old November 7, 2003, 01:37   #22
Elias
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
Warlord

Can i request information on the regular game. Also is there unit versions i herd somthing about this. Is there anything we didint expect like and ecnomey what about tourisim. I hate not having this great game yet and you guys are just puting salt in my wounds Hopfully i will get it tommrow with any luck.there are to many questions to ask so maby I should just try not to think about untill i get it.ARGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!
Old November 7, 2003, 07:51   #23
georges bonbon
Warlord

Local Time: 11:57
Could someone add a poll to evaluate Conquests?
georges bonbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2003, 08:01   #24
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by georges bonbon
Could someone add a poll to evaluate Conquests?
here you are
http://apolyton.net/dir/index.php?id...1&cat=3#rating
Old November 7, 2003, 09:04   #25
The diplomat
King

I only just got Conquests so I have only been playing for a few hours. But my first impression is excellent. The new units, new gov, new techs, new wonders and the scenarios really make civ3 a much more complete game. And, the scenarios definitely have a very historical feel to them. I am really loving the rise of rome scenario. It has great historical feel to it. I also feel like the AI is better. During the Mesopotamia scenario, I attacked Babylon as the Sumerians. Not the just the Babs had a few allies (everyone except the Phoenicians) who promptly sent military forces my way, but they attacked with decent size forces too. And I was only playing on Monarch level, so the AI did feel stronger.
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"
The diplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2003, 02:19   #26
dexters
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 11:57
Only monarch? Monarch used to look real good under the old PTW/CIV3 scale. Looking at the C3C scale, the difficulty has been shoved in the lower end of the spectrum, which really gives my ego a hit :P

And yes, the AI seems stronger all around. I went back and played a regent game, and the thing I noticed was that the AI will really stay on your heels even if you take a tech lead. They seem to have more cash at their disposal for one reason or another and will use it to buy discounted techs from the AI-AI trade bonus feature.

I've had 3 city civs, basically useless dead civs in the PTW days, pay 100 gold and 5 gpt for techs. So definately something is going on in terms of AI gold management.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2003, 13:53   #27
CrONoS
Civ4 SP Democracy GameApolyton UniversityNationStates
Emperor

How is the MultiPlayer?

Many people dislike PTW because his Multiplayer was buggy and lagging like hell.

If the Multiplayer in Conquest is better? Or just like the last patch for PTW(1.27)????

But this expansion look really nice with all the Single player addition and look a lot better than PTW. Even if i enjoyed PTW.

Thanks,

Dom

"Not by force of arms are civilizations held together, but by subtle threads of moral and intellectual principle." - Russell Kirk
CrONoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2003, 14:37   #28
zorbop
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Conquests is deffinately worth buying. I tried the Demigod difficulty, but the ai was doing really well. I fell behind fairly quickly, but not really in techs like you would think. I was just crushed in general, especialy in the REXing phase. Surprisingly, it is somewhat easier to keep up in the tech race.
The game is more balanced, and navies seem semi-useful now. Now it is reasonable to play some of the old civs, which simply sucked before(anything expantionest).
My only comlaint is that i seem to be getting more and more starting locations with jungle/marsh. this can be fixed by setting the world to be cooler.
zorbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2003, 15:17   #29
CrONoS
Civ4 SP Democracy GameApolyton UniversityNationStates
Emperor

Bonus Disk
Nobody talk about the Bonus Disk?

How good is the bonus disk shipped with conquest?

Tanx!

"Not by force of arms are civilizations held together, but by subtle threads of moral and intellectual principle." - Russell Kirk
CrONoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2003, 15:21   #30
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Well I have very little use for it, but I have it. I play with no mods of any kind, even though I admire Snoopy and Warpstorms work.
I just want to have all the pieces. So if they came out with a guide I would get it, even if I never read it.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote