Old November 5, 2003, 14:32   #1
mimi
Warlord

Local Time: 07:57
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Strategy Help (or perhaps I'm just useless?)
Ok... is it just me or does the AI usually get most of the techs researched first in the first era and usually the second? Is it possible to compete with the AI in research? I never tried 'cause I thought I understood that I don't have a chance of out researching the AI unless I pick a tech the AI didn't go for...

Does the AI also get the same odds on a SGL as we do? Is the AI gonna use them primarily as wonderbuilders?

If so, is there some "technique" I'm not aware of that will allow me to keep up in research? 'cause, if not, I don't know how I'll get any of the early wonders?
mimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2003, 14:42   #2
Stuie
King

Well, the old trick used to be go down the Polytheism path, because usually the AI stayed in the upper branches of the tree. But with Artemis that may change....

So now it's going to be a matter of figuring out what techs the AI seems to pass over, and trying to snatch them first.
Stuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2003, 14:43   #3
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

What level are we talking about here?

One's research power depends greatly on several things:

Difficulty level
Terrain (rivers? gold? coastal towns?)
Development of that terrain (good REXing and use of workers, lot's of 'em)
Government type (republic for research)

Being scientific will help in that you get the free techs at the beginning of each era and the 1/2 cost libraries and unis, but I think commercial is probably just as valueable, since it:

a) provides you with extra income
b) reduces corruption
c) starts you with the alphabet, which gives you a leg up on the road to republic, and is a valueable tech to trade upon first contact with the AI. If commercial civs in Conquests still start with the alphabet, this also means you're one expensive tech closer to philosophy and the tech bonus associated with it.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Arrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2003, 15:04   #4
Jack_www
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG LegolandNationStatesNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 03:57
Well I have found the expansionist trait help get a lot of the early techs for free. And now with how you cant trade maps to much latter and contacts, this will help even more to get ahead tech wise early in the game.
Jack_www is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2003, 18:43   #5
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Yes given a good start and a good location you can do just fine at emperor in the tech race. I did a run on a large map as England and basically was never behind in tech. The scouts go lots of tech and I grabbed lots of land and got to Republic.

I do less well with less land and a non expansion trait on the tech in the ancient era.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2003, 20:09   #6
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 06:57
In classic Civ 1.29f, the AI heavily weighted reserach towards whatever was cheapest, with minor bonsus for # allowed techs and # unbuilt wonders on the path and a penalty for optional tech. I don't know if Conquests changed anything.
joncnunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2003, 16:16   #7
Ragnar_84
Settler

Local Time: 03:57
All the above. Also The Great Libirary(I never build it but if your behind it would be helpful), build roads, obtain luxuries and trade, trade, trade. New to Conquests, beeline to Philosophy(if behind techwise), the first to research it gains a free advance!
Ragnar_84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2003, 16:57   #8
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

Quote:
Originally posted by joncnunn
In classic Civ 1.29f, the AI heavily weighted reserach towards whatever was cheapest, with minor bonsus for # allowed techs and # unbuilt wonders on the path and a penalty for optional tech. I don't know if Conquests changed anything.
This is not accurate. It's slightly more complex than what you suggest. The AI considers about 33 things when selecting the next tech to research, not no mention that there is also a random factor. There is no bonus for allowed techs, but there are some major bonuses for other factors like units.
alexman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2003, 18:39   #9
Yahweh Sabaoth
King

Local Time: 11:57
As this thread is in the Conquests, and not the Strategy, forum, I'd like to throw in my 2 cents and say that developing a tech lead now seems much easier than it once was, in the ancient era at least.

OK, maybe you don't want to compete with everyone for Iron Working or Horseback Riding. But it seems like a clever (and not totally unfortunately) player might be first now to MapMaking, for example, and certainly to Philosophy - out of 4 short-lived trial games, I've gotten Philosophy first 3 times, and not by playing a scientific civ - merely by sending my little boaties everywhere or plowing the fields and REXing like mad.

In fact, my gut feeling is that Seafaring and Agricultural might be TOO POWERFUL in terms of getting ahead in tech and will eventually be toned down.

But you shouldn't listen to me, you should listen to the experts. Once they recieve their copies of C3C that is.
Old November 6, 2003, 19:22   #10
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

You may be right YS, I have only one game so far, but even with no attempt to be a tech leader and no attempt to Rex out, I was the tech leader. I was near the bottom in score as I only built Colossus and have been at war (what else a lot) and have fewer cities.
As the Dutch I have seen basically the whole map in the before getting out of Ancient age.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2003, 19:37   #11
Yahweh Sabaoth
King

Local Time: 11:57
That's been my experience too: tech leader without trying to be. And maybe not the whole huge world... but half of it, at least.