Old November 5, 2003, 16:16   #1
Grail Quest
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:57
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Probe Raping anonymously
My latest evil scheme is to swap small bases with the AI factions, and use the remote base to probe them and keep them in the "stone age" as it were.

The problem I'm having is that I can't get more than one good probe team in the early game, except against the University, which has a lousy Probe rating.
The most you can safely do is Infiltrate Datalinks, and you only get to do that once, so only one team gets the morale upgrade which is necessary to complete any other mission while framing another faction.

Is there another way to get morale upgrades after Polymorphic Software and before Covert Ops?
I don't want to run Fundamentalism because of the Research penalty.

Playing the Hive currently, with Police State Planned Wealth.
Old November 5, 2003, 17:51   #2
Marid Audran
Warlord

Local Time: 04:57
Running Fundamentalism is your best option. You don't have to make a permanent policy out of it, just switch to Fundy for a turn before lauching a massive probe strike.

Remember to pump out probes in a base with a Command Center (and if applicable, a Bioenhancement Center) to also take advantage of the ground-based morale bonus for units produced there.
Old November 5, 2003, 20:49   #3
sammy1339
Chieftain

Local Time: 06:57
Kind of an unrelated question, but I can't help but asking: how do you stomach -4 EFFIC?
Oh - and why do you want to frame another faction anyhow? It's easier if you don't.
Old November 5, 2003, 20:53   #4
Minute Mirage
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Prince

Local Time: 13:57
Quote:
Originally posted by sammy1339
Kind of an unrelated question, but I can't help but asking: how do you stomach -4 EFFIC?
The Hive is immune to negative efficiency, meaning that the efficiency in PS/Planned is 0.
Old November 5, 2003, 23:31   #5
Mongoose
ACDG The Free Drones
King

Local Time: 06:57
Stealing energy credits is almost always successful and frequently gives a probe morale increase. Further, the 'security interlock' thing doesn't come into play when stealing credits, so you can do it repeatedly at the same base with no additonal risk. Eventually, you'll get caught, of course, but the credits generally serve to replace losses and the survivors are high morale after a few iterations. Another benefit is that every credit you steal is one less the other faction has to use in rushing things.
Old November 6, 2003, 01:50   #6
Hippi
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:57
then there is the covert operations center which to build in your bases. or why not just play with data angels?

meh original ac rocks
Old November 6, 2003, 05:44   #7
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 11:57
Build big stack of probe teams in bases with CCs and BECs.
Switch to Fundy.
Steal tech untill you only get the world map.
Steal ECs
Last probe mind-control the base.

If you swopped bases with a faction far enough away, then you can do this and not worry about being secret about it.

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old November 7, 2003, 15:47   #8
UnityScoutChopper
Warlord

Local Time: 12:57
However, any kind of base-swapping is generally considered an exploit, as the AI has no clue as to how to evaluate bases' strategic worth. For a long time, not even size was evaluated; eventually Firaxis did implement this...BACKWARDS, if I recall correctly. That is, the more lopsided the trade is in your favor (as far as sizes are concerned), the better, and vice versa.

USC