Old November 9, 2003, 13:43   #61
Jack_www
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG LegolandNationStatesNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 03:58
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Sava
I for one enjoyed the third Matrix (and the other two). I thought Revolutions was amazing and a good conclusion to the story. It also left certain hints for possibly more movies. The thing I hated about the second one was that stupid Zion part with the dancing and Morpheus acting like he was ****ing Moses or something. But the third was great.

There was such a parallel to the Christ myth. Humanity's struggle versus evil and Neo dying for their past sins (BTW, you would have had to have seen the Animatrix to really understand the nature of humanity's sins that started the war between the machines.)
How did the war start? I have not seen the animatrix.
Old November 9, 2003, 13:45   #62
Jack_www
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG LegolandNationStatesNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

For those of you asking about the twins Morpheus killed them in the second movie, remember?
Old November 9, 2003, 14:52   #63
Sandman
King

Local Time: 12:58
You see them taking on their ethereal form as they get blown into the air. It's far more ambiguous than, say, Agent Smith's death at the end of the Matrix.
Old November 9, 2003, 15:01   #64
st_swithin
CTP1/2 GODDESS

Local Time: 11:58
Why I Haven't Seen Matrix Revolutions (Yet)
Saw the first 2, tho.

-They eat that same endosperm gruel every single day for every single meal. I get pissy if I have to eat Ramen more than 5 times in a row, and I have eggs AND chili paste. Then they never mention food outside the Matrix ever, ever again.

-All that cool technology and not one shirt without a hole in it. But the ladies of Zion all gots they hair and nails did, and they got bling ("You know I don't believe in that stuff." "But I do!") Hammered/wrought silver and no sewing needles. And everyone's fave colour is grey.

-Leather and vinyl are the creakiest materials on the planet, and when they go into the Matrix, everyone's dressed like gothic advertising reps gone wild, even though they're supposed to be covert. Creak creak shoot shoot creak.

-Everyone in Zion knows who Neo is and what he looks like, but not one printed piece of paper or pictures or anything. Word of mouth is astonishing. Maybe they have trading cards - Matrix, the Gathering.

-No Asian people actually made it to Zion; they're all in the Matrix, relegated to being bad guy thugs and the one Keymaker. It's sort of like ethnic representation in Judaism, actually. There is no spoon, but no one invents chopsticks.
Old November 9, 2003, 17:25   #65
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Local Time: 05:58
Quote:
Originally posted by Q Cubed
http://www.pointlesswasteoftime.com/film/matrix50.html

-Dr. Albert Oxford, PhD
Chairman, London Film Institute

Is this guy for real? He sure spends a lot of time deconstructing the Matrix films and sh*tting on the people who watch them for someone who considers himself an intellectual elite.

Gatekeeper

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius
Old November 9, 2003, 17:41   #66
Jack_www
King

At first I though what that guy said was funny, but as I go down the list it just gets dumber. The idiot also complains about Aaliyah being cut out of the movie. Yeah she was cut out because she died in a plane crash dumb ***.
Old November 9, 2003, 18:11   #67
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack_www
How did the war start? I have not seen the animatrix.
In short, the Second Renaissance:

The humans invent robots, and get them to do all the work. The humans laze and party all the time. This is fine until aman tries to destroy his robot, which promptly kills him. The robot claims he "didn't want to die", while the prosecution claim a man's right to destroy his property. The robot is put to death, and the destruction of robots is ordered. Mobs go on the rampage killing them. The machines create their own nation, which because of their work, lack of need for sleep, and general processes, rapidly dominates world production, and their economy soars. The nations of man try to combat this, and fail. The machines go to the UN for a treaty, and are thrown out. The nations of man blockade the machine nation, and so the war starts. The machines are winning, so the humans try to scortch the sky. The machines, when winning, experiment on the humans to find a power source, and to find how they work, to help win the war. They win, conviningly. The rest goes as Morpheus explains in the first film. It's done pretty graphically at times.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old November 9, 2003, 18:26   #68
Starchild
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Location: a raving alcoholic drama queen with a penchant for the biosciences
So, um, the Machines are in the right all along and Zion is the last city of mankind, the species that started the war in the first place? Our good guys are basically terrorists fighting an ongoing war which their ancestors started?
Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
-Richard Dawkins
Old November 9, 2003, 18:32   #69
Verres
Settler

so close to reality
Old November 9, 2003, 18:41   #70
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness

No, as Morpheus said, we don't know who struck first. We blockaded them and cut trade links, then the war started.

Old November 9, 2003, 18:52   #71
Starchild
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Oh okay. So we sanctioned them after going on rampages to kill them? Because we viewed sentient lifeforms as property that we could destroy on a whim?

I agree with Smith. Once we let them do the thinking for us, our civilisation became their civilisation. IMO, I would not be surprised if the humans struck first.
Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
-Richard Dawkins
Old November 9, 2003, 19:06   #72
Drogue
staff

Were they sentient? It hints that they didn't become sentient until they started improving themselves, building better AI, until they got their own nation. But yes, humans viewed them as property, like slaves.

Old November 9, 2003, 19:12   #73
Starchild
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

We don't let people kill dogs without going unpunished yet a robot that could make its own claim at a trail is mere property?

Humans suck. We lost the evolutionary race. Machines were in the right.

Besides, the Matrix has always been a false dilemma to me anyway. Why bother with all the muck and crap of Zion and being "free" when you can live out a normal life inside the Matrix never knowing that you're not free? Love, life, and liberty. It's all the same inside the Matrix as it is in the "real" world. We could be in a Matrix right now and never know it. Does that make our emotions any less real? Does that strip meaning from our lives? Bah. Let the Machines have the real world, with its clouded skies and ruined planet. We get to be fed, watered, and allowed to live out full lives in exchange for a few megajoules of body heat.
-Richard Dawkins
Old November 9, 2003, 19:26   #74
Q Classic
Emperor

Local Time: 06:58
it's so funny hearing people tear apart the matrix now, after reloaded and enter the matrix sucked. seems almost like a emperor's new clothes effect.
Old November 9, 2003, 19:42   #75
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

I'm with Starchild on this one...the logical thing for humanity to do would be to merge with the machines and abandon corporeal form...

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old November 9, 2003, 19:48   #76
Q Classic
Emperor

we are borg. resistance is futile.
Old November 9, 2003, 21:59   #77
st_swithin
CTP1/2 GODDESS

The first Matrix was really cool, but it felt like they were emulating the Star Wars trilogy - great start, lots of discourse and leave a huge cliffhanger in the middle, then bring on the ewoks.

Funny thing about being the emperor. It's the prerogative of the fool to point out that the emperor has no clothes, but the emperor is still the emperor.
Old November 9, 2003, 22:40   #78
ghen
King

The main reason I saw the movie now instead of later was so I could read the spoiler threads everywhere and I'm not dissapointed This has been a perfect evening for me, watch the movie and listen to people who hated it.

The only thing I thought the movie was lacking was one more special effect shot of the infinite number of Agent Smiths through Neo's eyes in bright burning orange against the green matrix background. Aside from that, the movie was perfectly made for the fan who thinks movie critics are never right.
Old November 10, 2003, 00:35   #79
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
Why bother with all the muck and crap of Zion and being "free" when you can live out a normal life inside the Matrix never knowing that you're not free?
That goes all the way back to the first film, to eating steak. At what price freedom? To actually effect change?
Old November 10, 2003, 03:45   #80
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Stupid humans. If they're not busy pissing off their ape masters, they're angering their machine masters. Tsk, tsk.

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius
Old November 10, 2003, 04:14   #81
laurentius
Civilization II MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyNever Ending StoriesACDG PeaceACDG3 GaiansMacC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
King

Local Time: 13:58
Quote:

This is great stuff

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
# By their fruits ye shall know them

I had attended a showing of The Matrix in May of 1999 with a lady friend, because we are both big Morgan Freeman fans. An hour into the film, as I observed what dreck we were wading in, I walked up and stood before the screen and tried to explain to the audience that this vomitus was below their dignity.

I was greeted by some of the most vulgar insults imaginable, until some began throwing objects and one man even knocked my pipe from my hand. Do you wish to be associated with a group of such character?

# By their fruits ye shall know the staff, too

After the above incident, I was the one asked to leave.

# The Matrix: Reconsidered further still

Bullets travel at over 900 feet per second. I don't care how fast Agent Smith and his friends pulled their triggers in that hallway, their bullets would not travel in a tight pack like that. It takes a tenth of a second for an automatic to recycle itself, meaning that by the time the second round left the barrel, the first bullet would be 90 feet away.

You should have heard my gales of laughter upon seeing this scene during my second viewing of the film. I fully expected the audience around me join in the derision, and when they did not I walked up and down each row, leaning over each seat and howling my gales of mockery right in their faces.

Once more, the staff removed me from the theater, rather than doing the proper thing and removing the film from the theater. Ridiculous.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Paul Valery
Old November 10, 2003, 04:25   #82
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

I still haven't seen the second

I may not

the first was fun

JOn Miller
Old November 10, 2003, 07:19   #83
Provost Harrison
Deity

Just bloody go and see them.

I couldn't make up my mind so I went to see it again. I think people are being too harsh on the film now. I went to a late viewing and two arseholes were in there. They kept talking until someone asked them to 'shut the f**k up'. They tried to start a fight but got lynched and was pinned to the seat by numerous people who wanted to see the film I think they were eventually evicted, or gagged

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old November 10, 2003, 15:36   #84
st_swithin
CTP1/2 GODDESS

My dad says I'm not a big enough sucker to enjoy movies. I don't know if that's an insult or a statement of fact. I try to be gullible, but then my brain gets all like that kid who reminds the teacher that they forgot to give out the homework assignment.
Old November 10, 2003, 17:11   #85
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
http://www.pointlesswasteoftime.com/...solutions.html

I like this quote:

I'm dreaming of a white... cast?

Two actors were abruptly cut from the third film's cast before production ended, both female minorities. Coincidence?

Aaliyah and Gloria Foster were unceremonially dropped after shooting some scenes for Revolutions. What's wrong, guys? They didn't test well with the predominantly white Matrix audiences?

Neither actress could be reached for comment.

Uhhh, sir? there was this plane crash a few months ago.....
Old November 10, 2003, 17:20   #86
Q Classic
Emperor

i think that's the point.

at least, i'm hoping he doesn't mean half of the stuff on the page, 'cause otherwise he's petty and mean...
Old November 10, 2003, 18:10   #87
Lord Merciless
Warlord

Local Time: 04:58
Bunch of Zionist terrorists, Morpheus and etc.
Old November 11, 2003, 11:03   #88
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

The reason Zion existed is because of choice. Neo summed it up at the end of Revolutions when Smith asked him, "Why? Why do you continue to fight?"... Neo responded, "Because I choose to."

All of humanity couldn't survive in the Matrix. Remember in Reloaded, the Architect said it worked when nearly 90% of the humans accepted the Matrix programming, while a growing minority, if not kept in check, represented a growing threat.

The end of Revolutions was peace between the machines and man. Those who choose to be free will be allowed to live in the real world.
Old November 12, 2003, 05:18   #89
Provost Harrison
Deity

This this is it, you have to understand the Architect speech to understand what is going on in Revolutions...but it is quite hard to follow so reading the transcript is quite useful.

But I would say I am warming to the film more. I suppose the anticipation between Reloaded and Revolutions has been quite high and you are never going to know what to expect. Still it is quite a logical conclusion...

Old November 12, 2003, 07:00   #90
Ned
King

I saw a movie called Equilibrium the other day on DVD. It is a sci-fi film that was so good it is a wonder I had never heard of it before. A lot better than Matrix II or Matrix III, IMO. Anyone besides me see it?