Old November 5, 2003, 23:06   #1
timotheus4
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Chieftain

Local Time: 06:58
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Hi
Hi, I have recently aquired a copy of SMAC. and am interested in SMACX. I have read a most excellent guide on SMAC <http://www.cheatcc.com/pc/sg/sid_mei...a_centauri.txt> And am interested if anyone here could do something about the 7 new factions like the details about the factions that this guy does. It's been very helpful, thanks
Old November 6, 2003, 01:10   #2
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 11:58
No one here writes like Vel does. Vel aka Chris Hartpence is the author of the majority of the work in that piece.

He did a guid that includes the factions of SMAX. It is available for sale on line. See his topped thread discussing it.

By the by wlecome to SMAC. Also a bunch of good info over at www.civgaming.net

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old November 6, 2003, 11:56   #3
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 05:58
Ya - I scanned that linked piece and it seemed to me as well that a lot of it sounded like Vel. I haven't comapred the two things that closely however.

I will caution anyone reading the cheatcc piece that many of the strategies listed at the end ( by a variety of sources) are not that great. IMHO some of them are actually pretty bad.
Old November 6, 2003, 23:32   #4
timotheus4
Chieftain

Oh buiy. So you mean I have to pay.

Yeah most of the stuff at the end wasn't worth the look.
Old November 7, 2003, 03:24   #5
gwillybj
Prince

Local Time: 07:58
Location: Eurytion Mining Camp: 100°C dayside, 100°F nightside.
You can still read the earlier versions of Vel's guides, which are usable, but keep in mind that the published volume includes important revisions of and corrections to what was posted here. There are details in the SMAC Guide thread (Version 2, here at Apolyton) that are relevant to both games but are not included in the SMAX Guide thread (Version 3, at Vel's Renaissance Portal), and vice versa - making the published volume very worthwhile.

Vel's SMAC Guide:
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...&threadid=7944

Vel's SMAX Guide (with directions how to find the text at Vel's Renaissance Portal, at which you will find a veritable smorgasbord of topics in addition to SMAC/X):
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...&threadid=7945
Old November 7, 2003, 15:23   #6
UnityScoutChopper
Warlord

Local Time: 12:58
If you have the patience, you can find a wealth of great advice and discussion on this forum as well. Set the time range for visible posts back to a year or two back and start reading.

USC
Old November 7, 2003, 17:55   #7
Minute Mirage
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Prince

Local Time: 13:58
Quote:
Originally posted by UnityScoutChopper
If you have the patience, you can find a wealth of great advice and discussion on this forum as well. Set the time range for visible posts back to a year or two back and start reading.

USC
That's very true, it's just a shame that the earliest posts are nowhere to be found. I've gone through most of the old threads, and I even collected a "best of" list of threads, that I'm planning to organize at some point.
Old November 7, 2003, 22:29   #8
Mead
ACDG The Human HiveACDG3 MorganAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
King

Quote:
Originally posted by UnityScoutChopper

USC
There are thousands of hours of SMAC/SMAX experience and analysis in these forums.

The quality of my game and enjoyment has increased tremendously from the lessons that I learned here.

Mead
Old November 7, 2003, 22:41   #9
timotheus4
Chieftain

Good. I believe in 'free flow of information'