Old December 2, 2000, 20:53   #1
roo4317
Settler

Local Time: 06:07
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Gettysburg!
Has any one ever made a Gettysburg scenario?

While working on my Star Trek modpack I was messing around with multiple events and stuff. I thought about RF, SF and those other "battle" (or more detailed) scenarios and decided that a Gettysburg scenario could be cool.

I have Sid Meier's Gettysburg! and Gettysburg the movie, and The Killer Angels book so I think I could make an pretty accurate scenario (I like to make stuff real detailed so don't worry about that). Where I can't make something accurate I will go for what will be more fun.

Finally, to anyone that's made Civil War units I would like to use them in the scenario (I'll go through and see who exactly later), I will combine them with acutal units from Gettysburg!...
Old December 3, 2000, 11:58   #2
DarthVeda
Emperor

Local Time: 02:07
Actually yes, It was out a few months ago... look way back in the forum...
Old December 3, 2000, 16:57   #3
roo4317
Settler

Thanks,

The Scenario is awesome! I had to convert it to FW though (by using the converter and then deleting all the playwavefile's in the events.txt) and it worked fine (so all the FW users can play this great scenario).

Can I use some of your units (and ideas)? I had the idea for a scenario pack that contains:
The Entire 3-Day Battle
Pickett's Charge
Little Round Top
Barlow's Knoll

If you got any other good ideas I'd sure like to hear 'em.
Old December 3, 2000, 17:00   #4
roo4317
Settler

Oh yeah,

I will use cities to represent key objective points (in the whole battle, Little Round Top would be an example) but they won't be able to produce any units (if you've got any hints on this let me know)
Old December 3, 2000, 18:39   #5
PolarisGL
King

As for using graphics: To be honest, I'd rather you not use them, simply because that is the only scenario I have out right now, so I want the work to be original. Its nothing against you, and I applaud your work to create another battle scenario.

Reason for not having the first day is simply because the action. I wanted players to begin in the action straight-out, which is what happened.

Thank you for your comments.

To get cities not to build things, you put the units on "NO" for Prerequisite in the rules.txt. Then any re-inforcements you use, they can be given to the sides via events. Like in Gettysburg: every few turns you get artillery shell supply re-inforcements in supply trucks (basically aircraft carriers on land) through events.

What I'd enjoy is a scenario solely about Picket's Charge, or something of that nature.

Again, thank you!
Old December 3, 2000, 22:17   #6
master on high
King

yeah...and that's why you need to keep working on the 1820 scenario. get done with those Austrian Grenadiers!
Old December 3, 2000, 23:05   #7
PolarisGL
King

They have this weird bent-down position.
Old December 4, 2000, 01:46   #8
PolarisGL
King

It took me very long to make this scenario, and I used graphics from Sierra and Impression Games' Civil War Generals series. Enjoy the scenario, and it is very difficult!

http://www.modernempire.com/~tns/

The Gettysburg scenario website:
http://www.modernempire.com/~tns/gettysburg.html
Old December 7, 2000, 15:58   #9
klesh
King

Local Time: 02:07
Polaris,

I got your Gettysbug scenario las night. Kept me up till 2:30 am on a night where i really needed sleep! I really like it. I played as the Union. Pretty much have no idea how the battle proceeded IRL, so I just held my high grounds and tried to flank the attacking Confederates where I could.
A few questions/comments...

I would like to have the Confederate kills tallied up in the Defense Minister's window so I can see who is ahead. I did this via the cheat menu: I had lost 85 infantry to the Confederates 173. I think I am doing well. About 7 turns in. I had to have some of the artilley retreat to better positions, but I have the reinfocements pouring in to fill the gaps in the line. Battles are most fierce to the west of the stone walls, where I have taken many losses, but hold key patches of highland that the Confederates are throwing themselves against. I hope to be recieving artillery reserves soon. I will definately be able to rain hell down on the approaching forces. There is some action to the North, bot I have been able to inflict heavy casualites. Reinforcesments heading there as we speek. And there is a touch of action to the Northeast, I have seen some Confederates prowling around, and have dispatched some scouts to obesrve any troop movements. I have chosen to fortify all along the hills in that area.

This may be a stupid question, but I don't know much about the Civil War, so here goes: Why are there no Heavy Cavalry? You've got scout cavalry, but no commited Cavalry groups. Was Cavalry not a major part of Gettysburg? I honestly have no idea. :embarrased:
I personally would like to see some Heavy Cavalry in the rear to move up and thwart any pushes through my lines. Again, with the alpine movement.

The art is good, but the roads need to be rounded off on the corners. They kinda look like criss-crossing airstrips I like how you've kinda made miniature units, gives the feel of thousands of men on the battlefield.

The Confederate infantry had no attack sounds, they were silent. I am pretty sure I unzipped everything. Also, I really like the sounds in Michael Jeszenka's 2nd Reich... The "Swordfgt" sound especially. It has the feel of many troops firing at once, very appropriate for the infantry icon.
You may want to give it a listen...I can email the .wav to you if you like?

And lastly, the lighter artillery pieces act wierd. When you move a loaded cannon, the shells stay put, and you have to "fire" them back into the cannon. Is it possible to just have them move along with the cannon? I tried to haver them sleep, but it wouldn't allow it.

All in all, this is turning out to be a really exciting scenario. I like the concept of taking positions rather than cities (although the AI seems to be gunning for my HQ city...).

This is a definate must play for you scenario lovers out there. Good work.
[This message has been edited by Field Marshal Klesh (edited December 07, 2000).]
Old December 7, 2000, 16:26   #10
PolarisGL
King

Klesh, thank you!

I plan to release a new version sometime.

Anyway, for your questions:
[*]There should be a Confederate infantry sound. Hmm, that is weird.[*]There was cavalry on the first day, this begins on the 2nd day.[*]What difficulty are you on?[*]It is impossible to carry the shells with the artillery. You must move them back in. But that is kind of realistic on the large battlefield, isn't it? You kind of have to move everything at once and get delayed. I thought it was neat. [*]Roads: Yes, I know that. I was sloppy with that, and will try to get it fixed next version.[*]Seems like you're doing well, depending on your difficulty. I beat the scenario on Deity, and it took me a while, and I made it! [*]Look out, Klesh. There will be hordes of Confederate reiforcements coming at you sometime in the game. WARNING.

Thank you SOOO much for the comments, though. It seems that no one has been playing this scenario. Do people know about it?

Anyway, other changes for the next version, not mentioned above:[*]Stronger objectives. More cities on the map, where there will be one city per objective location.[*]The morale/gold, etc. will be used for doing something. Probably purchasing wonders for your objectives, and defensive items for them as well. Such as, a unit that can't move, and can only defend. We'll see.[*]Better city terrain for the actual city, and actual units in the city (probably from my 1602 graphics).

Again, thank you!