Old November 6, 2003, 09:38   #1
Mr Pirate
Settler

Local Time: 12:00
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Civ 3 More Civ than ever
Just a quick question, in case I am being really stupid..

I have just received Civ 3 as a present (at last....), and the box, which is small (A5) is labeled 'CIV III More Civ than ever'.

CIv3 doesnt work, and as I update drivers I want to check I have Civ 3 & not only PTW! It appears from the manual to be only pure Civ3, but the CD is labeled PTW.

I am having trouble getting the game to run at all, and whilst a update all the drivers and DirectX etc, I thought i should check...

Clicking on the desktop shortcut to PTW cause the screen to go black, reappear at 1024 resolution, and then go black again, and crash with "civilisation3x.exe causing page fault in civilisation3x.exe...."

Reasons why it may fail?

Do I have a PTW only edition - on installation the CD warns that without CIV3 installed, PTW will not work.
(I cannot play 'cause I have PTW instead of Civ3).

however the install program has a Civ 3 exe, and the readme says version 1.29f. So despite the warning has it installed Civ 3 & PTW?

Clicking on Civ3.exe, rather than the desktop shortcut to PTW fails cause of missing 'binkw32.dll'.

I am updating drivers, which is the standard thing to do, but wanted to check I hadnt got the completly wrong program installed to begin with

system (which is on the lower end of the acceptable spec but even so..):
w98
p2 450
128mb ram
tnt nvidia 16mb (compaitiable with DX 8, but perhaps not 9)
montego 2 sound card (is this compatible with DX 8 & 9?)
DirectX 9
upto date monitor drivers, and I have tried to force the resolution, refresh etc.
also been through Infrogrames help section...
Mr Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2003, 14:16   #2
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 08:00
On my system the exe have a unique name for civilization3.exe, civilization3x (ptw) and civcoquest.

You will have to look on the board for the means to play if your desktop is no at least 1024. PTW does not require DirectX 9, Conuest does.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2003, 16:14   #3
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 14:00
It sounds as if you somehowe have bought PTW.... Are you sure it doen'nt read expansion pack somewhere on the box?
Old November 7, 2003, 05:37   #4
Mr Pirate
Settler

Local Time: 12:00
The box does not mention PTW or expansion pack at all, and the manual is definitely Civ3 only (no mention of PTW or anything)

The disk is clearly printed with PTW.

I have updated all drivers now, and still no luck, have tried the refresh ini changes (and the others for desktop, which is higher than the res the game runs at). Also cancel omnipage which was running int he background, and tried starting without any startup programs (inc no taskbar progs) without success.

I am beginning to think that i may have the wrong disk...
IS there a pack that inc civ3 & ptw on one disk. If not, then I have the wrong disk.

ps the pack is different from any I have seen on this site, but appears on the amazon uk site as stand alone civ. Therefore I have the right box with the wrong disk. Good old human error (have updated my drivers and direct X, and resolved a driver error on my sound card, so this sorry episode does have some positives....)

have to wait for my brother to return from oz to get the receipt.....or buy civ 3 again, and have ptw as well!

must be getting old, i have had the disk now for 7 days, and not played yet, and am calm about it

Thanks for your help (feeling a little stupid)
Mr Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2003, 13:39   #5
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 08:00
The Gold Edition has both original and PTW I believe.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote