Old December 1, 2003, 14:59   #301
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 05:02
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Gibsie

That's the whole thing, I want to use them when I'm not at war with someone, as you would with a privateer unit! And indeed, I can attack friendly units outside cities with them, but not units inside a city- and nor can the AI seemingly- there's about 15 barbarian Ronin units parked outside one of their cities doing nothing.

I was told by a friend that in her version they can indeed attack cities, so it might just be my version for some reason. Still, it beats the exclusive bug I had with Vanilla Civ whereby colony graphics would appear all over the map (Even in the ocean)!
No, they've changed the way Hidden Nationality units work so that you can no longer attack cities with them unless you are at war. I just discovered that myself in my current game when I went to remove a French city that was built behind my lines.
Willem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2003, 15:18   #302
barrybeal
Settler

Local Time: 12:02
In the Japanese Conquest Scenario, I find that I can not upgrade my King from Dom-2 to Dom-4 after my King advances to Grandmaster (killing barbarians for profit) and then attacking one of my compeditors Generates a Military Leader by Combat with a non-barbarian.

Replaying that game from an earlier save, I find that the Grandmaster King will update as long as he never generated a Military Leader - like normal upgrades when upgrading his quality drops from Grandmaster to Veteran. This is I assume normal.
barrybeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2003, 15:51   #303
RobC
Warlord

Local Time: 04:02
Quote:
Originally posted by Willem

No, they've changed the way Hidden Nationality units work so that you can no longer attack cities with them unless you are at war. I just discovered that myself in my current game when I went to remove a French city that was built behind my lines.
Incidentally, I think it would be great if they would add pop-up text simlilar to when you try to attack with a worker or catapult ("non-combat units cannot capture cities")...it could say something like "hidden nationality units cannot capture cities unless at war". I think this would help reduce confusion and frustration.
RobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2003, 18:00   #304
Purple
Prince

Local Time: 07:02
Rise of Rome Bug

I apologize if this has already been reported; I couldn't face reading through the entire thread.

I'm not certain exactly what sequence of clicks you have to do to repeat this behavior, but you'll get the idea. This isn't a serious bug, but a little oddity.

Upon completing the tech tree, when you click on the Big Picture button you get the picture for the next age, as expected. Then by clicking OK (or maybe you have to go back to the "?" tech tree screen) you get the Industrial Age picture, and by repeating the action you get the Modern Age picture.

This gave me a kind of science-fiction feeling, as though I was seeing into the distant future.
Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2003, 19:48   #305
RobC
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Catt
Graphics bug. The new oasis and the traditional mine graphic do not play well together.

Catt
Same with oasis and fortress (see attached image). Not sure this is a bug, though, as resources (like the horse in the attached image) are supposed to show up on top of everything else so you can see them...but it does look odd with such a large resource like oases...
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	oasis.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	58495  
Old December 1, 2003, 20:25   #306
Bane Star
Warlord

Local Time: 21:32
This is just graphics, you can change it... I moved all my resource Icons down 3-6 pixels, Fortifications Up, Mines left, since victory location is now right... Things look alot better this way...

Oh and P.s. How many Lazy people are there.. I read through the entire thread to discover which Ideas were allready presented and which weren't before I posted about the forb palace
Old December 2, 2003, 08:19   #307
Timmer
Chieftain

useless bombardment
Not sure if I'd call this a bug, but here goes....

I'm currently at war with the Dutch, it's fun. They
are on the same continent as me.
I have Sun Tzu's, giving me Barracks in every city.

The Dutch have some bombers, and they use then
to bomb my newly captured cities. The first two
bomb runs in a turn target my units, but the next
one targets... The Barracks. And I do get a message
that "The Barracks of Delft have been destroyed", only
they haven't, off course, since thanks to Sun Tzu's they
are always there "in spirit".

Not SURE if I'd call this a bug, but it does let the
AI (and a player, if it would be MP or the AI built
Sun Tzu's) waist bombers on indestructable targets.

I AM worried though, that, akin to the "Great Wall
being destroyed by catapults bug" that if the
AI bombs the city with Sun Tzu's in it, the bombers
will destroy the wonder, in an attempt to destroy
the barracks.

Timmer
Old December 2, 2003, 09:23   #308
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 14:02
timmer, this "bug" was there before iirc.

the newly captured cities had barracks inside them, but you just don't need to pay for them. the building still exists.
if you'd happen to lose your city with sun tzu's in it, these cities wouldn't have barracks anymore.

something similar once happened to me in a game. i lost my pyramids-city in an evil sneak attack and only the conquered cities had granaries after that. all my original cities didn't need to build them before...

so short: i don't think it's a bug
Old December 2, 2003, 10:01   #309
Timmer
Chieftain

Ah, I get what you're saying. The AI had
barracks , that I captured, so they could
be destroyed. It's just that when they were
destroyed, they were immediatly replaced
by Sun Tzu barracks.

I'll have to check if the Sun Tzu barracks get
bombed too.

Timmer
Old December 2, 2003, 11:13   #310
Gibsie
Civilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Oh yeah, I noticed that in the Middle Ages Scenario, the rampaging Berserk units would often destroy my barracks when attacking my cities- but they simply reappeared because I had the Sun Tzu-type wonder
Gibsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2003, 15:18   #311
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

not sure if this has been posted. regarding relics in the middle ages scenario.

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...08#post2526608

picture of what is going on. angers flipped to me with a relic inside, now I can't build any units (they don't appear) and units cant enter the city. I guess I will have to declare war to garrison it.
asleepathewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2003, 20:35   #312
RobC
Warlord

Hwacha's will not automatically unload when you move the transport ship they are on into a land tile, even though artillery and other bombard units will.
Old December 3, 2003, 21:09   #313
RobC
Warlord

I ask Japan what they want for oil (they have 1 extra, and I don't have any since I'm playing OCC) and they say "it can't be done"...then I offer 1 gold, and they accept.
Old December 3, 2003, 22:28   #314
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Quote:
Originally posted by RobC
Hwacha's will not automatically unload when you move the transport ship they are on into a land tile, even though artillery and other bombard units will.
Bombard units will automatically unload if you try and move a transport onto a land tile You mean I have been manually moving one at a time from transports all this time (since the "j" command doesn't work for unloading and loading)

Catt
Catt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2003, 23:11   #315
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 06:02
Actually, all units should unload when you do that. You should get a pop up that asks which specific units to unlead, or all units.
notyoueither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2003, 23:39   #316
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

you cant do it when the boat has 0 moves left.
Old December 3, 2003, 23:56   #317
Catt
King

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
Actually, all units should unload when you do that. You should get a pop up that asks which specific units to unlead, or all units.
All I can say is

Catt
Old December 4, 2003, 07:03   #318
snoochems
Chieftain

WHen you've made your own map, there is no way of playing that map in multiplayer in anything but Regent difficulty.

I have made a cool map for 8 players (2 human, 6 AI). I set the 'default AI difficulty' to emperor, and then went to play the game.

By about 1000AD, i noticed that the AI were really pathetic... later, when we loaded the game we noticed that that load screen you get just after loading, said the difficulty was set to Regent. Hmmm...

In the set up screen when starting a MP game, the difficulty is set to custom, as i loaded a map/scenario.

WE're very pissed off now, as we've spent the last 3 days playing only to find out the AI civs are PATHETIC.
snoochems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2003, 09:08   #319
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 00:02
Local Date: November 3, 2010
A small bug, but nonetheless one.

Upon conquering the capital of Persia, the new capital becomes visible (just the city tile) in the black unexplored area of this game.

Posted here is the save. Upon loading it, all you need to do is attack the city (Gordion?) with the Swordsman selected and say yes to capture the city when it wins the battle. The new Persian capital becomes visible as per the screenshot.
Attached Files:

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
MrWhereItsAt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2003, 09:26   #320
Gibsie
Emperor

An interesting bug that just happened with me, is that the animation for an enemy unit attacking got stuck and continued throughout my turn. It was funny.
Old December 4, 2003, 10:51   #321
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 14:02
MrWhereItsAt, do you have an embassy with persia?

if so: doesn't one anyway always know the location of the capital? (needed for the basic espionage missions (steal tech, investigate city))
Old December 4, 2003, 14:04   #322
Catt
King

Quote:
Originally posted by snoochems
I have made a cool map for 8 players (2 human, 6 AI). I set the 'default AI difficulty' to emperor, and then went to play the game.
I don't play MP and so don;t know about the "regent only" play in MP -- as I recall, a similar bug was present in PTW.

But with respect to the above "default AI difficulty" level issue, you actually hurt the AI by adjusting it from its default of Regent. The player's difficulty level is set in the scenario or at the beginning of the game from the preferences screen (if its not buggy). The "default AI difficulty" option in the editor sets the difficulty level for the AI civs, regardless of the player's chosen difficulty level. By setting the default AI difficulty level to emperor, all of the AI civs play with certain difficulty modifiers -- they only have one citizen born content instead of two, they have a decreased combat bonus against barbarians, they get less lucrative goodies from goodie huts, they suffer greater corruption, etc. (may be more - can't recall). Setting default AI difficulty to Deity makes an easier game for the human; setting it to Chieftan makes a harder game for the human.

Catt
Old December 5, 2003, 00:02   #323
snoochems
Chieftain

Okay, i understand that now.
But still, the beginning of the game on the preferences screen, the difficulty is stuck at "custom". So i'm geussing that you have to set the difficulty in the scenario editor. How?
Old December 5, 2003, 00:12   #324
snoochems
Chieftain

From the help menu...

"Default Difficulty Level
Determines which difficulty level (Chieftain, Warlord, Regent, Monarch, Emperor, or Deity) the game defaults to. Default is Regent."

This does not indicate that this is in regards to the AI
Old December 5, 2003, 00:19   #325
Catt
King

Quote:
Originally posted by snoochems
From the help menu...

"Default Difficulty Level
Determines which difficulty level (Chieftain, Warlord, Regent, Monarch, Emperor, or Deity) the game defaults to. Default is Regent."

This does not indicate that this is in regards to the AI
Never fully trust the help file . The effects were confirmed some time ago through testing and later conifrmed by the AI programmer (Soren Johnson) in a thread in the strategy forum found here -- it's a long thread, but Soren's post comes about a dozen posts into the thread.

All this is a bit of a side issue - don;t know how to help you with the "stuck playing at Regent" issue.

Catt
Old December 5, 2003, 00:45   #326
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 06:02
Quote:
Originally posted by Catt

All I can say is

Catt
Experience with marines helps.
notyoueither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2003, 09:59   #327
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 00:02
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by sabrewolf
MrWhereItsAt, do you have an embassy with persia?

if so: doesn't one anyway always know the location of the capital? (needed for the basic espionage missions (steal tech, investigate city))
Well I can't remember if I did or not, but the embassy is certainly gone because I am at war, and I can't remember this happening elsewhere in my games.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
MrWhereItsAt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2003, 11:55   #328
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 13:02
Two bugs in Conquest scenarios.

Middle Ages - a barb camp appeared on the very top row of tiles in northern Sweden. My units would not move onto tiles that near the edge of the map and I could only get rid of the camp by building a town nearby. Only a problem when playing Sweden/Norway perhaps but still somewhat irritating.

Mesoamerica - rather more seriously irritating. I just completed a relatively peaceful game on monarch level and "won" by scoring >7000 culture for my civ with about 5 turns to go. The game didn't recognise this and played through to the mandatory retirement where it awarded my victory on points, not culture!

Edit: My Mesoamerica problem isn't a bug, I just didn't have quite 2x the culture of the next civ.

Edit 2: The Middle Ages one is presumably because tundra is impassable as there is a whole chunk of the NE corner of the map that doesn't get explored. So, again, not a bug.

The AI going straight to war when it blunders into one of your assassins in this scenario is a bug though.

Last edited by CerberusIV; December 8, 2003 at 10:38.
CerberusIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2003, 12:03   #329
Gibsie
Emperor

When someone makes an embassy in your capital don't you get one in theirs for free as well (Only you don't get to see inside)?
Old December 5, 2003, 13:19   #330
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 08:02
Odd, obscure bug:

I set up a test scenario for a multiplayer democracy game. In order to get things just right, since PBEM worker jobs are handled a bit differently than SP worker jobs, I fired up the scenario as a PBEM, setting up 2 human players. I figured that I could just "continue game" instead of "save and quit" in order to do my testing (and just skip turn for the 2nd civ).

Wrong. Trying to do that screws things up. To be more precise, worker job times are halved. I ordered a forest chop (4 turns). The next turn, it told me there were 2 turns left. Next turn, it was done and the worker could move. Doh!

So, in order to accurately test worker jobs/build sequences I must not only test in PBEM format, but also:

play turn
save/exit
load
skip turn for the other civ
save/exit
load

and so on and so forth.

As bugs go, this one probably ranks quite low on the priority list, I know. But it's weird, and proved to be quite an annoyance last night, so I figured I'd bring it up.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Arrian is offline   Reply With Quote