Old November 10, 2003, 02:21   #91
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 08:01
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Saint Marcus
Mesopotamia: Industrial workers appear in the 3rd age.
I discovered this too. Very very annoying.

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005
Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2003, 10:20   #92
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 07:01
wow, i never thought people would be that picky

i'd just like the game to run flawlessly, and be reasonably balanced
Old November 10, 2003, 11:30   #93
Backpack
BtS Tri-League
Prince

Local Time: 06:01
GPT Duplicated
I played around with a OCC game yesterday, and I've duplicated the GPT bug. I have uploaded a saved game.

http://apolyton.net/upload/files/KWP...ians1375AD.SAV

On the crash to desktop comment - Yes I am running XP, but it only presented itself just that once. No repeats.

I also duplicated the MPP win on Naploeon... I wonder what causes it.

To those who can fix things - Thanks for listening.

Kevin P.

(P.S. - Small wonders should be able to do all that a great wonder can - Please patch the editor to enable all wonder flags and choices for small wonders.)
Backpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2003, 12:02   #94
momomomo
Settler

Local Time: 12:01
At several times, I wasnt able to build a new city in the Age of Discovery, and once in the normal (epic) game. First time was with a Colonist (scenario unit) in an isolated area, and I thought it was due to some special rule requiring road connection or adjacency to own territory. In the 2nd time, it didnt work on wetlands.
Now, I wonder if those are really new rules, or only bugs...
Generally, I am a little bit annoyed by the Civ people providing us with so much new, fancy stuff to play with - and then giving us only the thin leaflet as the only documentation, half of which is PTW stuff anyway.
It is scattered around the Civilopedia, but no consistent overview except in the forums.
Nowhere mentioned, e.g., that archers (and longbowman) now have a defensive bombardment capability. or that and how tourism gold benefit increases with the age of the wonder (very fancy, though, getting 15 coins only from the Temple of Artemis tourists, once it is 2000 years old).
I wish David Ellis would write a strategy guide on C3C in his own concise style, the new game deserves it.
momomomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2003, 12:43   #95
Backpack
BtS Tri-League
Prince

Ok - Played as the Sumarians - Got 3 or 4 SGL during game play up to the 1800's. - All of them were the same SGL. Same name. I checked in the editor and there are multiple names for Sumarian SGL's.

On a different thread, i heard it mentioned that you can now have multiple SGL's stored up, but as before, only a single MGL at a time. In PTW and previous, MGL's cycled through thier names. First was name one, second was name 2 etc etc. In allowing us to have multiple SGL's at one time, the game seems to be continously reusing the first and only the first SGL name.

See the image at
http://www.apolyton.net/forums/showt...73#post2474773

This was produced to generate a possible bug report of having multiple SGL's at the same time. The image also confirms the bug of non-rotating SGL names, as the description at CFC for reproducability used consequtive SGL's

Can anyone else confirm that they have had only a single SGL name occur on multiple SGL appearances over the years? (Please confrim regardless of two same named SGLs at the same time, or two SGLs with the same name back to back)

Thanks

Kevin P.

Oh and Momomomo - Wetlands are generic for jungle and marshes. - Marshes as a new terrain type are set to nocity.

Last edited by Backpack; November 10, 2003 at 12:55.
Old November 10, 2003, 14:32   #96
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I was wondering about the ability to have more than one SGL at a time. I am not sure why one would not use the leader, but I guess once you have 4 turn break throughs....
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2003, 15:28   #97
Backpack
BtS Tri-League
Prince

Heck - I still used them after I got to 4 turn techs - Hehe - It let me drop science rate from 60 to 50 and keep going at 4 turns.

Question - Does anyone know or shown that they are cumulative? (SGL's on Science bonus) -

Thanks

Kevin
Old November 10, 2003, 17:38   #98
vmxa1
Deity

I meant that once you start learning tech every 4 turns, I could see that you may find it hard to use your SGL if you get a few in a row. You may run out of wonders and see no gain from increase of the tech rate, so you may do nothing with one for a time.
Old November 10, 2003, 18:44   #99
tholt
Settler

C3C installed just fine, but I'm running into a couple of problems. First, when I launch the game, the splash screen (the one with the Atari, Breakaway Games and Firaxis logos) stays on the screen for 30-40 seconds before the game kicks in. Once the game does come up, it runs just fine--no errors at all. However, when I exit the program, I cannot start any other application or open any other window. When I try, I get a "not enough memory" error and have to reboot my computer. This happens no matter how long I was in the game. I can just launch the game (wait the 30-40 seconds) and then exit, and it still happens. This also happens if I launch the Play the World expansion startup that was also installed when I installed C3C.

I loaded the resource meter, and prior to launching, I have 75-80% resources free. While playing the game, this drops to 45-50% free. Immediately upon exit, it drops to 25-30% free and those resources never come back to the system, even after waiting for over an hour. The only thing I can do is reboot.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling. I took the disk back thinking maybe I had a bad disk and got a different one, but still the same thing. I even replaced my memory module with a different one, thinking I had a bad memory chip.

My system specs:
Athlon 1.4 Ghz CPU with an Asus A7M266 motherboard.
512 MB RAM
Visiontek GeForce 3 video card running Nvidia reference drivers version 4523
20 GB free hard drive space (and ran a thorough scandisk with surface scan and found no errors)
Hercules Game Theater XP sound card
Windows 98

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tony
tholt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2003, 19:43   #100
WarpStorm
King

Quote:
Originally posted by momomomo
In the 2nd time, it didnt work on wetlands.
Now, I wonder if those are really new rules, or only bugs...
New rule.
Old November 10, 2003, 19:59   #101
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 14:01
Quote:
stays on the screen for 30-40 seconds before the game kicks in
CD check and game loading time I suspect.
alva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2003, 20:08   #102
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 14:01
Quote:
However, when I exit the program, I cannot start any other application or open any other window
It was ok under CIV 3 vanilla, got worse under PTW and now it looks as id the trend continues.
I can't really open anything after closing PTW for about 30 sec.
Try doing the same and see what happens.
-
Quote:
512 MB RAM
Windows 98
In general !:
Win 98 can't really handle more then 256MB, up to 374MB you will have a staus quo or at best an minimal improvement, after that it's all downhill (minor at first, more the more memory you push in )
Best advice I can give you on this is to switch (upgrade) to XP.
alva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2003, 23:40   #103
darthx86
Chieftain

FP
I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread, but the Forbidden Palace seemed to have no effect in the game I just played.

Playing as the Ottomans: I went from having 108 corruption in 1080 AD (1 turn before completion) to having 112 corruption in 1090 AD. The city where the FP was built was 8-10 squares away from the capital, so there should have been some noticeable effect.

I can dig up a saved game if necessary.
darthx86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2003, 00:11   #104
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 05:01
MGL won't hurry normal improvements
I have two saves from different points in an epic game where different MGLs won't rush ordinary improvements like universities, police stations, battleships etc. In each case, I made sure that the city didn't have any "corrupt" shields from rush-builds or forest chops (indeed didn't have any shields in the production box at all) -- and since the MGLs came after RRs, I was able to move them from city to city instantly -- in no instance did I get the unit button for "hurry production." I thought, and the Civilopedia says, that MGLs can rush small wonders and ordinary improvements.

Catt
Catt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2003, 00:22   #105
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

weird text appeared the second time I loaded the game.

I accidently clicked the quit game (when I only wanted to return to the main menu) and had to restart the game.

Upon entering the game the second time the text was almost unreadable.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	civ3screenshot.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	57054  
Old November 11, 2003, 00:25   #106
vmxa1
Deity

Thanks for that Catt I intented to try that, but forgot. Can they form an army and then be disband for 100 shields?
Old November 11, 2003, 00:26   #107
vmxa1
Deity

Dissident is this a font issue? It seems I saw one of these posted before PTW came out.
Old November 11, 2003, 00:44   #108
Catt
King

Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
Thanks for that Catt I intented to try that, but forgot. Can they form an army and then be disband for 100 shields?
Yes - provided that you have enough cities to build another army. I only discovered this because at the two different instances I had either reached my max on number of armies, or I didn't need another army and wanted to rush more than 100 shields.

Catt
Old November 11, 2003, 01:24   #109
RobC
Warlord

Local Time: 04:01
I have to say that after about a week, there have been amazingly few serious bugs reported. I kind of hope that we find one or two (or that Breakaway/Firaxis considers the gpt bug serious) so that we get a patch and can squeeze a few more features in (like...I don't know...maybe...stack bombard and collateral damage from bombardment?)
RobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2003, 01:30   #110
Catt
King

Quote:
Originally posted by RobC
I have to say that after about a week, there have been amazingly few serious bugs reported.
Agreed -- surprisingly few serious bugs.

Quote:
I kind of hope that we find one or two (or that Breakaway/Firaxis considers the gpt bug serious) so that we get a patch and can squeeze a few more features in (like...I don't know...maybe...stack bombard and collateral damage from bombardment?)
The gpt bug is quite serious -- I think that's the biggest of all and should be fixed ASAP. It further exacerbates the disproportionate power of tech trading in the late game for the human.

Catt
Old November 11, 2003, 08:55   #111
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by alva
Quote:
However, when I exit the program, I cannot start any other application or open any other window
It was ok under CIV 3 vanilla, got worse under PTW and now it looks as id the trend continues.
I can't really open anything after closing PTW for about 30 sec.
Try doing the same and see what happens.
-
Quote:
512 MB RAM
Windows 98
In general !:
Win 98 can't really handle more then 256MB, up to 374MB you will have a staus quo or at best an minimal improvement, after that it's all downhill (minor at first, more the more memory you push in )
Best advice I can give you on this is to switch (upgrade) to XP.
From the data I've seen the the optimum amount of RAM under win98 is 96MB. Anything over that amount slows it down. I havent seen data for anything over 128MB but thats not so surprising given that when win98 came out PC's generally had 16 or 32MB and 64MB was really only in high end machines.

I'm not totally sure why the system resources stay allocated after quitting civ on these sytems but the lag is gone for me with winXP (but it could be hardware improvements too).
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
SpencerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2003, 08:57   #112
Stuie
King

I'm kicking myself for turning off autosave.

In the epic game I'm playing, I was checking the AI Civs every turn in the Industrial Age to ensure my tech lead (I'd really like an SGL eventually... still hasn't happened), and to see if I could trade/steal any new techs the AI actually managed before I got there. Anyway...

The Hittites and Portugese had around 1700 gold and 2300 gold respectively on one turn, the next turn they had around 12000 and 23000... uh, where did all the gold come from?? They were the only AI Civs with any available gold, so it didn't come from other Civs.

No saves, unfortunately, but something to keep an eye out for.
Stuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2003, 09:05   #113
vulture
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 13:01
Quote:
Originally posted by Stuie
I'm kicking myself for turning off autosave.

In the epic game I'm playing, I was checking the AI Civs every turn in the Industrial Age to ensure my tech lead (I'd really like an SGL eventually... still hasn't happened), and to see if I could trade/steal any new techs the AI actually managed before I got there. Anyway...

The Hittites and Portugese had around 1700 gold and 2300 gold respectively on one turn, the next turn they had around 12000 and 23000... uh, where did all the gold come from?? They were the only AI Civs with any available gold, so it didn't come from other Civs.

No saves, unfortunately, but something to keep an eye out for.
Who knows - perhaps they made several gpt deals with each other that turn and also get the benefits of the gpt bug - they both make deals for 1000 gpt (as if) but both collect 2000 gpt, giving each of them a sudden profit of 1000 gpt which comes from nowhere. Not very likely to generate 20,000 gold in one turn doing that though.
vulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2003, 09:13   #114
Stuie
King

Quote:
Originally posted by vulture
Not very likely to generate 20,000 gold in one turn doing that though.
Yeah, I thought about the gpt bug, but the amounts were just way too high to believe that was the root cause.

I'm turning autosave back on and starting another game. I feel like this one is ruined, since I'm taking their new found wealth in exchange for my techs.
Stuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2003, 14:04   #115
pauli
Prince

about the no palace/aerial view thing - does this mean if i edit the rules to, say, allow a larger map size, i won't have a palace or aerial view?
Old November 11, 2003, 16:39   #116
mjs0
Settler

Civil Engineers
Is anybody else using civil engineers.

I am finding that unlike scientists and tax collectors the new civil engineer specialist does not affect the data displayed either in the city view or the domestic advisor screen. The Civil Engineer does appear to affect the actual shields applied to production but the actual shield count is not accurately reflected in any displayed totals.

This is particularly annoying when you are (for example) trying to find your most productive cities for wonder building or fine tuning a large city to build an improvement on a particular turn.
Martin
mjs0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2003, 17:07   #117
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

Corruption is messed up.
alexman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2003, 17:09   #118
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

anyone have a problem with units moving by themselves?

I was waging war as the Mayans. I was using the number pad to move units. I would press- say 6, to move a unit. Then the next unit would come up and move the same direction without me pressing anything! I know I didn't press 6 twice or hold it down.

It was really annoying me to the point I stopped waging war (plus my empire was getting too stretched out).

But it only seemed to happen when I was waging war.
Old November 11, 2003, 18:16   #119
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

empty barricades in neutral land stop everyone, even if you just built it.

was that intended?
Old November 11, 2003, 18:55   #120
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

odd AI behavior, alliances

probably been around for a while, thought I would mentionit.

got an alliance with Maya to attack Celts. after 20 turns, maya asks me to renew, I renew and get 250 gold out of the matter. immediately after I hit yes, the maya declare peace with celts. at my turn I go to "active" under maya and see nothing, so I get peace with Celts.

Basically stealing 250 gold from the Maya. Not good.
asleepathewheel is offline   Reply With Quote