Old November 13, 2003, 12:18   #151
TheArsenal
Apolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 05:02
Local Date: November 2, 2010
The load game screen does not default to the latest save game if the Japanese Sengoku Conquest was the last game I played. By no means a biggie, but a bug nevertheless.
Old November 13, 2003, 13:48   #152
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Catt

I haven't tested it, but apparently Warpstorm did. The relevant posts are:
I double checked the help file, and they specifically mention artillery/bombard units with that flag. No mention is made of any other type of unit.
Willem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2003, 13:56   #153
Willem
Emperor

Certain effects still don't shut off with gov specific wonders. I haven't checked them all, but I do know that Reduces Corruption is still active after a gov switch. This was supposed to have been fixed a long, long time ago. This means that the new Secret Police HQ for Communism will still have an effect if a civ switches back to some other form of government. The only way around that is to have the Palace or Forbidden Palace as a building prerequisite.

I'm really disappointed that no one has bothered to fix that after all this time. That was supposedly dealt with after the first patch or two for vanilla Civ, yet it's still an issue.
Willem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2003, 14:55   #154
chuckdelicious
Warlord

Local Time: 12:02
As an update to my previous post, the save game and reload doesn't seem to work very well. Even a restart of the game or reboot of the pc isn't fixing it...
chuckdelicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2003, 15:08   #155
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Willem

I double checked the help file, and they specifically mention artillery/bombard units with that flag. No mention is made of any other type of unit.
It's largely academic, because either the CD flag works properly, in a counter-intuitive way (i.e., only works for regular units that also have 0-range bombard -- i.e., melee units) or it doesn't work correctly and will be fixed.

But it seems to me that it is working as designed, whether or not we like the design. The only unit with the flag enabled is a "regular" unit with A/D values that also has 0-range bombard. The help file language, strictly read, actually supports the interpretation because it says a unit with the CD flag enabled gets certain results when it "attacks." Technically, only units with A/D attack, bombard-only units "bombard." Finally, adding the CD flag to artillery-units does not produce any CD effects at all; adding it, together with a bombard value, to normal A/D units does produce CD effects.

Catt
Catt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2003, 15:36   #156
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

Local Time: 08:02
Quote:
Originally posted by Willem
...the new Secret Police HQ for Communism will still have an effect if a civ switches back to some other form of government.
OMG, it's true!!!
alexman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2003, 15:38   #157
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
But it seems to me that it is working as designed, whether or not we like the design. The only unit with the flag enabled is a "regular" unit with A/D values that also has 0-range bombard.
My experience is that collateral damage can be assigned to any bombardment unit (I didn't try 0-range units). I designated Artillery, Bombers, and Battleships for CD.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Jaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2003, 16:41   #158
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 13:02
A very minor bug: The civilopedia entry for 'combat' needs to be updated to include lethal bombardment.
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
lockstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2003, 16:42   #159
Saint Marcus
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 13:02
Quote:
The "Renders Obsolete by..." flag in the editor doesn't work right with imrovements when it comes to happy faces. I created a religious building that was supposed to become obsolete with Theology, but the smiley faces still showed up afterwards. I did a test on other areas, production, taxes etc. and they all seem to work fine, just not the happiness buildings.
That sure sucks. Bah. So many critical bugs in this game. And they made us believe it was all rigoursly tested.

when's the next patch due?
Old November 13, 2003, 17:20   #160
Catt
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaybe
Quote:
But it seems to me that it is working as designed, whether or not we like the design. The only unit with the flag enabled is a "regular" unit with A/D values that also has 0-range bombard.
My experience is that collateral damage can be assigned to any bombardment unit (I didn't try 0-range units). I designated Artillery, Bombers, and Battleships for CD.
Sorry for the sloppy misstatement -- any unit that has a bombard value given to it has the flag available to it. What I was trying to say is that "enabling" CD to units without A/D values (i.e., artillery) doesn't do anything -- the artillery behave exactly as unmodded artillery. And planes and ships, when bombarding targets, behave exactly the same whether or not the CD flag is checked or not (didn't test air-to-air or sea-to-sea battles, but what would be collaterally damaged in such combats?).

Conversely, giving a land unit with A/D a bombard value and checking the CD flag means that it will have a chance at destroying a city improvement or a pop point when it takes even 1 HP from a city defender. I have not ever seen a CD-enabled land unit destroy terrain improvements when attacking units outside cities (as the editor help states should occur).

Are you seeing different behavior in your modded units?

A comment or two by a Firaxian or BreakAwayian on clarifying how collateral damge works, and whether it is working as intended, might be helpful here

Catt
Old November 13, 2003, 18:47   #161
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I just noticed that the F3 shows 0 for my cannons. I had captured at least one and wanted to upgrade it. I located it and upgrade. I then did F3 and saw zero for arties?
Not a big deal, but I would hate to run into a civ that shows 0 and has a ton of them.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2003, 20:37   #162
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 07:02
captured cannons don't count as cannons.
Old November 13, 2003, 20:57   #163
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Yes, if you you will look into your "captured units" box, you'll see it includes not just workers anymore. It is assumed that they cost no maintenance.

Now, if this meant that captured bombards are only half as effective it would be meaningful. That they cost no maintenance seems strange to me, assuming you capture the hardware and have to man and provide ammo yourself.
-Aha, figured it out. You are supposed to "give" some arty to enemy AI, so they will (1) USE it, and (2) not have to pay for it.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.

Last edited by Jaybe; November 13, 2003 at 21:07.
Old November 13, 2003, 21:09   #164
vmxa1
Deity

I see, I dislike that. I want to see all my units, I don't care how I got it.
Old November 13, 2003, 21:14   #165
RobC
Warlord

Local Time: 04:02
Ok, so after all this talk about how land bombardment always targets units before improvements, I get this bizarre series of results:

70 BC: Beginning my seige of London. Two catapults in a row hit improvements (the first being their Palace!) even through the defenders are all at full health.

10 BC: Continuing my seige of London...last turn, I destroyed London's colosseum, but on my first bombardment of this turn, my catapult destroys...The Great Wall?!?!?!?

Is this a bug? Has anyone else encountered this while bombing the city that has the Great Wall in it? I'm 99.9% sure that I cleaned up all the beta patches, etc. before installing conquests, and I'm not playing a mod or anything. Screenshots and savegames to follow. I'd be interested to see if others can reproduce this (both from the savegames and from their own games)
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	buildingsdestroyedfirst1.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	57218  
RobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2003, 21:15   #166
RobC
Warlord

screenshot #2
screenshot #2
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	buildingsdestroyedfirst2.jpg
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	57219  
Old November 13, 2003, 21:17   #167
RobC
Warlord

screenshot #3
screenshot #3
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	buildingsdestroyedfirst3.jpg
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	57220  
Old November 13, 2003, 21:18   #168
RobC
Warlord

Savegame
First savegame (From 70BC...just bomb London with the 2 catapults)
Attached Files:
Old November 13, 2003, 21:23   #169
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
I see, I dislike that. I want to see all my units, I don't care how I got it.
I agree. They could AT LEAST improve the captured units display so you see (a lot) more than 3 at a time! OTOH, perhaps there are other differences we are not aware of yet.
Old November 13, 2003, 21:26   #170
RobC
Warlord

Savegame #2
Savegame #2, 10 BC (Just bomb London and you should destroy the Great Wall)
Attached Files:
File Type: sav bomblondongreatwalldestroyed.sav (128.2 KB, 0 views)
Old November 13, 2003, 23:12   #171
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Ok, so I rush online to report the weirdest thing I've seen yet, and what happens? RobC beat me too it.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	bug!.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	57224  

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Arrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2003, 23:13   #172
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Fire Two!!
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	granary too.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	57225  

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old November 13, 2003, 23:14   #173
Arrian
Deity

And the clincher, ladies and gents, is that Thebes is home to the Great Wall. I was fortunate enough to capture it, instead of destroy it.

-Arrian

Old November 13, 2003, 23:16   #174
Arrian
Deity

Oh, and one more bug(?) is that as you can see, Thebes does not show walls. All other Egyptian cities do, but not Thebes. When I captured it, however, they showed up.

All this, for Dyes.

-Arrian

Old November 14, 2003, 00:01   #175
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

Makes sense. The capital always shows as if it's one size larger, and there's no graphics for a walled city (as opposed to a town).

I think the bug comes because walls are supposed to get targetted before other city improvements, but with the Great Wall now providing free walls, somehow another improvement gets destroyed instead.
alexman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2003, 01:53   #176
Catt
King

It is probably worth a mention in the civilopedia entry for marshes that you cannot found cities on a marshland tile

Catt
Old November 14, 2003, 02:17   #177
chuckdelicious
Warlord

Local Time: 12:02
Ok, I did some more testing and have figured out the problem (sort of). If the civilization that you are at war with has not discovered steam power, railroads will not connect to their taken cities. If they have discovered it, no problems... Can someone test this with one of their current games and report back, plz. I would much appreciate some verification.
chuckdelicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2003, 03:43   #178
vmxa1
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Catt
It is probably worth a mention in the civilopedia entry for marshes that you cannot found cities on a marshland tile

Catt
That one had me scratching my head for a few minutes. I was wondering why the build city did not work, unil I noticed it was on a marsh.
Old November 14, 2003, 03:45   #179
vmxa1
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckdelicious
Ok, I did some more testing and have figured out the problem (sort of). If the civilization that you are at war with has not discovered steam power, railroads will not connect to their taken cities. If they have discovered it, no problems... Can someone test this with one of their current games and report back, plz. I would much appreciate some verification.
I can only say that they behave normally with your own cities and captured ones that do have steam.
Old November 14, 2003, 03:51   #180
RobC
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
And the clincher, ladies and gents, is that Thebes is home to the Great Wall. I was fortunate enough to capture it, instead of destroy it.
...at least you got it intact! The reason I declared war on England in the first place is that they beat me to the Great Wall and I wanted to capture it...but once I started bombing it, it was palace destroyed, temple destroyed, colosseum destroyed, then "The The Great Wall of London has been destroyed"