Old November 14, 2003, 04:10   #181
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 14:02
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I really don't think it's such a bad thing that wonders and palaces can be destroyed, I kinda like that. They should have very good odds of NOT being destroyed though.
Then again, I like uncertainties

/me runs and ducks for Alex's shoe...
alva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2003, 09:45   #182
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 08:02
I would agree with you, alva, if palaces were merely an ornamental feature. They're not, though. They're the seat of government in your civ.

Further, I understand the idea of destroying certain wonders via bombardment, but I dunno about the Great Wall. A solo building, like the Sistine or the Colossus, yeah. But the GW? The Pyramids?

Anyway, regardless of that, this is a very clear bug.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Arrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2003, 15:05   #183
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Well, Arrian, many people would like to see split ups(forgot the term from civ 2 ) when the enemy's capital is taken, this does comes close to it.
It gives you a reason to go after the palace/capital aswell, as there is a real incensitive to do so.
-
I'm not saying it's realistic to destroy certain wonders, but again, this way, you are not certain to get any spoils of war by taking a city with loads of arty (and deaths amond civil population). If you want the wonders, you try to get it with the risk of many casualties on your side.
alva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2003, 15:27   #184
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 05:02
When you launch an "Age of Scientific Discovery" -- the 25% empire-wide scientific boost provided by an SGL -- your total science spending displayed does not change to reflect the increase, the each individual city display shows an appropriate increase and your science projects clearly get the benefit of the extra science gold (i.e., research times are reduced).

Catt
Catt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2003, 15:50   #185
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 07:02
i HATE how new palaces are free now. in civ2, you had to rebuild the palace after losing your capital, it simulated the chaos that WOULD happen after losing D.C. today.

and it opened up that crappy "palace jump" crap. horrible.
Old November 14, 2003, 16:01   #186
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

its way to easy to destroy buildings , ......

something has to be done about it , ......

Firaxis , .......

have a nice day
Panag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2003, 16:24   #187
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by alva
Well, Arrian, many people would like to see split ups(forgot the term from civ 2 ) when the enemy's capital is taken, this does comes close to it.
It gives you a reason to go after the palace/capital aswell, as there is a real incensitive to do so.
-
I'm not saying it's realistic to destroy certain wonders, but again, this way, you are not certain to get any spoils of war by taking a city with loads of arty (and deaths amond civil population). If you want the wonders, you try to get it with the risk of many casualties on your side.
I understand what you're saying.

They were "Civil Wars" in CivII. IIRC, the "new" civs that were generated did get palaces. Whereas if taking the capitol did not trigger a civil war, the civ would have to rebuild its palace, as Uber points out.

panag, what are you talking about?

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Arrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2003, 17:55   #188
Backpack
BtS Tri-League
Prince

Local Time: 06:02
Too Many workers arrive to fix battle damage. - This is different than pollution (which usually ocurs on Rail Roaded tiles) since no worker arrives with any ability to fix the problem, and all available workers are called to waste thier turn

See linked posting in the simple changes thread -

http://www.apolyton.net/forums/repor...postid=2486083

Thanks

Kevin P.
Old November 14, 2003, 18:22   #189
RobC
Warlord

Local Time: 04:02
Quote:
Well, Arrian, many people would like to see split ups(forgot the term from civ 2 ) when the enemy's capital is taken
Civil war.
RobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2003, 18:50   #190
MyOlde
Prince

Local Time: 12:02
I've been trying to get the tutorial mode to work but have failed so far. I've tried it in both epic games and the first (recommended) conquest. I have tried it by setting the level to chieftain. Nothing.

Can someone either tell me how to do it -- or is it a bug and I just shouldn't bother trying. As I said elsewhere, I don't really need it but Gawd help the game newbie without a little tutoring.
Old November 14, 2003, 20:01   #191
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

The city that builds Shakespeare's Theater can still build a hospital even though it grows past size 12. (In theory I suppose this is intentional, since a minimum number of hospitals are required for Battlefield Medicine, but it still strikes me as a probable bug).

Catt
Catt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2003, 23:28   #192
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

not sure if this has been mentioned, but crusaders don't go to the continental rally point, each has to be sent individually.
asleepathewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2003, 16:35   #193
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

In the epic game, I have had many seemingly unintentional wars started by naval units running into my submarines.

This did not happen in PTW, and I wonder if it was intentional.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Jaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2003, 17:03   #194
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

it did happen in ptw. there are some threads about it.
Old November 15, 2003, 17:11   #195
WarpStorm
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaybe
Sure it did. I had it happen lots of times. In addition, I had lots of things happen like this when I experimented with invisible land units.
Old November 15, 2003, 17:29   #196
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Uber KruX
it did happen in ptw. there are some threads about it.

hi ,

is it not fixed with a patch , ........

cause it aint causing war on this side , ........ ( fully patched )

have a nice day
Old November 16, 2003, 00:17   #197
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Quote:
In the epic game, I have had many seemingly unintentional wars started by naval units running into my submarines.

Originally posted by WarpStorm
Sure it did. I had it happen lots of times. In addition, I had lots of things happen like this when I experimented with invisible land units.
In my last several games of PTW, non-enemy shipping would neatly turn to avoid a collision with my submarines. I do not recall which patch made the change, or whether it was PTW or vanilla. EDIT: According to the Readme's, it was vanilla 1.16 where they fixed the sub stuff.

I have always preferred submarines (especially nuc subs) as pickets and illicit surveillance of AI coastal areas.

First there were the war-causing collisions; then the at-war AI going after subs it hadn't "legally" spotted yet; finally the AI was taught to ignore them until legally spotted, except to avoid collisions when not at war.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.

Last edited by Jaybe; November 16, 2003 at 03:23.
Old November 16, 2003, 04:34   #198
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Quote:
-
schism. though in the scenarios you could set the game to No schism.
Old November 16, 2003, 04:44   #199
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

long as I can destroy city walls, I don't care so much about destroying other improvements.

It seems realistic that wonders can be destroyed (except maybe having the pyramids or Hoover dam destroyed by catapults ), but of course I don't want them to be destroyed
Old November 16, 2003, 14:19   #200
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

palace should be destroyable, and they should have to be REBUILT.

SUCK IT PALACE JUMPERS!

and the super-odd thing here is that bombard units are supposed to hit the units first in c3c...
Old November 16, 2003, 15:41   #201
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I agree a palace should have to be rebuilt. I am not too fond of the new bombing either. One plane, one run and it wrecked a great wonder! That is ugly IMO. I don't mind that they can be blown up, but it should be hard.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2003, 15:59   #202
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
I agree a palace should have to be rebuilt. I am not too fond of the new bombing either. One plane, one run and it wrecked a great wonder! That is ugly IMO. I don't mind that they can be blown up, but it should be hard.
Pardon me, but what would you DOO??!
Give the wonder HIT POINTS???
How about a big sign, saying "Bombing this city risks destroying the ___ Wonder."

(This wonder-killing thing hasn't happened to me yet. I'll probably be just as upset when it does.)
Old November 16, 2003, 16:09   #203
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Uber KruX
palace should be destroyable, and they should have to be REBUILT.

SUCK IT PALACE JUMPERS!

and the super-odd thing here is that bombard units are supposed to hit the units first in c3c...
hi ,

, maybe the same should be said then about some wonders also , ......

but yeah , to rebuild it from nothing would be good , aldo there should be a temp palace jump when the palace is destroted that would work only at half compared to a full palace , .....

every gov ( well most ) have some sort of back up in case something goes wrong , ......

have a nice day
Old November 16, 2003, 16:12   #204
Panag
Emperor

Quote:

How about a big sign, saying "Bombing this city risks destroying the ___ Wonder."

(This wonder-killing thing hasn't happened to me yet. I'll probably be just as upset when it does.)

hi ,

, that might not be a bad idea actually , .......

in fact it would be super

have a nice day
Old November 16, 2003, 17:16   #205
Firebird
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 13:02
Hi

If I Try to make a scenario with either:

1) Leaders placed manually on the map

or

2) Having a Great Wonder that produces Leaders

those leaders don't work!

They can't built armies, the can't rush anything and they can't start a science age.

I have also tried to make seperate units with various leader capabilities, but without any succes.

There is only one Leader-unit in the editor and I suppose the unit is only given the real leader special action when it is generated in the game. That sucks!

I wonder why they have not simply made one unit the normal Military leader and one unit the Science leader? That would be much more clean. The current solution is some kind of quick-and-dirty fix to put in the science leader.

Has anyone found a solution please say so. If not:
Firaxis: Please, make each kind of leader a different unit with its special actions defined in the editor and not in the gamecode.

/Firebird
Firebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2003, 18:56   #206
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:

I sure there are many technics to deal with it. I knew they had only one bomber left and I should have wait for the fighter to be on patrol before I rush an airport. That was destroyed on the one pass on that city. I had just not gotten used to the new easy of bombardment. No more failed run (well it seems that way) and they hit structures, not troops.
This is fine, but some structures should require more than one run to get. Airports will not be destroyed by a since run. Yeah I know you are going to tell it represents a zilion planes.
Look at WWII, those fields had to be hit every day to keep them non operational.

I will adjust, but I am not fond of it right now.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2003, 01:38   #207
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Okay, I just played the Middle Ages scenario as the Germans.

1) The Turks have invisible units, you hear the combat sounds and see your unit fighting but the Turk unit is invisible. They are also non existent on the following turn if you click on tiles to locate them.

2) There are MISSING pcxs like Hap's and such, after 48 hours of gameplay when I won via Victory Points the game crashes because not all of the pcx's are there from the install.

I knew I shouldn't have tried to play a FIXaxis product right out of the box................
GhengisFarb™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2003, 04:25   #208
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

Quote:
Originally posted by GhengisFarb
Okay, I just played the Middle Ages scenario as the Germans.

1) The Turks have invisible units, you hear the combat sounds and see your unit fighting but the Turk unit is invisible. They are also non existent on the following turn if you click on tiles to locate them.
1) There are invisible units available in the game. Unless you have a unit that can spot invisible units, you won't see them. It happened to me when I was attacked by Assassins, but hadn't learned the tech to build Spies that would be able to see the Assassins.
kring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2003, 08:05   #209
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Firebird
Hi

If I Try to make a scenario with either:

1) Leaders placed manually on the map

or

2) Having a Great Wonder that produces Leaders

those leaders don't work!

They can't built armies, the can't rush anything and they can't start a science age.

I have also tried to make seperate units with various leader capabilities, but without any succes.

There is only one Leader-unit in the editor and I suppose the unit is only given the real leader special action when it is generated in the game. That sucks!

I wonder why they have not simply made one unit the normal Military leader and one unit the Science leader? That would be much more clean. The current solution is some kind of quick-and-dirty fix to put in the science leader.

Has anyone found a solution please say so. If not:
Firaxis: Please, make each kind of leader a different unit with its special actions defined in the editor and not in the gamecode.

/Firebird

hi ,

have you tried yet with PTW , .....

can you attach a save , .....

there are indeed some problems with the editor , but units seem to work more or the less , well okay out of 15 extra starting units one got lost , over and over again , its an extra king , ......

have a nice day
Old November 17, 2003, 08:12   #210
WarpStorm
King

I have had success with placing MGLs on the map. They worked exactly like they do in the main game. I haven't tried placing SGLs yet.