Old November 19, 2003, 21:21   #241
Selanne
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:02
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Can someone check out this map to see if the barbarian camps, goody huts and other overlays (apart from rivers) are appearing properly?

They don't show up in the map editor anymore (they're invisible but there, as I can modify them), but they are clearly visible in the game.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip worldmap.zip (122.8 KB, 1 views)
Old November 19, 2003, 21:52   #242
statusperfect
King

Local Time: 14:02
i can't upgrade my damyo... i have 112 gold and barracks

please help
Attached Files:
statusperfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2003, 22:01   #243
WarpStorm
King

Local Time: 07:02
Quote:
Originally posted by Selanne
Can someone check out this map to see if the barbarian camps, goody huts and other overlays (apart from rivers) are appearing properly?
They appear for me. Try hitting ctrl-shift-m.
Old November 19, 2003, 22:09   #244
WarpStorm
King

Quote:
Originally posted by statusperfect
i can't upgrade my damyo... i have 112 gold and barracks
It looks like you just need more gold. You have the tech for Shogun-4. This would cost 180 gold to upgrade.
Old November 19, 2003, 22:32   #245
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 00:02
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by RobC

Mr. WIA, go back two pages in this thread. Arrian and I both reported this bug already -- it has to do with the target city having the Great Wall in it. Link to post
Ah yes, but did you test all this stuff out and find out that all you do is essentially kill the Palace's culture?

Will test more later... I have some additional questions about what happens to the Palace when it goes.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
MrWhereItsAt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2003, 22:54   #246
WarpStorm
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Feephi
I was able to do collateral damage to a city barracks with a Berserk attacking from the sea. Is that supposed to happen?
In some of the scenarios (for example, the Middle Ages), yes.
Old November 19, 2003, 22:54   #247
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 05:02
Missing Tourism Civlopedia Link

From the city view screen, if you right-click on the gold icons next to Great Wonders generating tourism gold, the only civiliopedia options presented are the wonder itself and "culture." This is true even for captured wonders which do not produce any culture.

Catt
Catt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2003, 22:56   #248
Catt
King

Longbowmen Civilopedia Entry

This one has probably been around since vanilla, since I can't imagine a reason to revisit it as part of C3C. The civilopedia entry for Longbowmen describes them as a powerful "attacker of the ancient age." That would be true with an attack of 4, but longbowmen are not available until the middle ages.

Catt
Old November 19, 2003, 23:08   #249
Selanne
Chieftain

Problem solved. Rebooted computer from a few days ago. And then reinstalled Civ. I don't know what changed on my computer, but going back a few days solved it. i can now see the overlays.
Old November 20, 2003, 01:45   #250
Scippio
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Gyromancer

Actually, I posted the same bug back a few pages. I've only seen it in multiplayer, so I think it's related to that.
The animation also plays, not just the sound -- and I have only noticed it in multiplayer, which is now the only way I play Civ.
Scippio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2003, 01:45   #251
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 08:02
Rise of Rome: Scythian Rider still has Keshik Civilopedia entry.

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005
Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2003, 04:18   #252
statusperfect
King

Quote:
Originally posted by WarpStorm

It looks like you just need more gold. You have the tech for Shogun-4. This would cost 180 gold to upgrade.
thanks warpstorm. when we've got you we don't need ataris support
statusperfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2003, 06:47   #253
PeaSoup
Warlord

This seemed more like a gameplay change rather than a bug, but I was unable to build connecting railroads into newly conquered cities as seen by the screen shot below.

The railroads around Warwick and Canterbury were built the same turn the cities were captured, and the Infantry will actually spend movement points when moving into Canterbury.

The tiles do get the railroad bonus, as well as the movement bonus.

When I captured another city and waited until the resistance was over before building railroads, this did not happen. And interestingly enough, Warwick and Canterbury became connected to the rail network the same turn the 3rd city's resistance died... so that may be a bug.

The former owner of these cities, the English had not learned steampower, so I'm not sure if that had something to do with this.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	railroad.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	57712  
PeaSoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2003, 07:12   #254
Worldly_One
Settler

Minor bug, but annoying. Playing as Sassanid Persians in Fall of Rome Scenario. In the desert surrounding my cities are at least four incense deposits. After roading to more than one of these deposits, my workers are unable to colonize...incense only...gold silver, ivory, spice colonies function as normal. The colonize button doesn't even appear as possible orders with the worker standing on the resource. Is this a bug or some esoteric restriction that I've simply never encountered before?
Worldly_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2003, 11:54   #255
RobC
Warlord

Local Time: 04:02
Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Feephi
I was able to do collateral damage to a city barracks with a Berserk attacking from the sea. Is that supposed to happen?

In some of the scenarios (for example, the Middle Ages), yes.
Incidentally, if a ground unit has the collateral damage flag set, do they still have defensive bombard ability, or does setting the collateral damage flag mean that the bombard values are only used for collateral damage when attacking cities?
RobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2003, 12:08   #256
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Worldly_One
Minor bug, but annoying. Playing as Sassanid Persians in Fall of Rome Scenario. In the desert surrounding my cities are at least four incense deposits. After roading to more than one of these deposits, my workers are unable to colonize...incense only...gold silver, ivory, spice colonies function as normal. The colonize button doesn't even appear as possible orders with the worker standing on the resource. Is this a bug or some esoteric restriction that I've simply never encountered before?
are the incence in your borders?

... and gold isn't a luxury? (is it in the scenario?)
Old November 20, 2003, 14:30   #257
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

my ex girlfriend thought of me!
so, i got the game today

and already a first new bug (i looked through this thread and didn't see it mentioned, but maybe i just missed it.

in the sengoku scenario i got a massive tech lead because
a) the civs don't scout enough (they probably only know their neighbors)
b) didn't pop their huts (even if just next to their borders)
c) the daimyo didn't leave the capital (whereas mine did all the early exploring... they won't attack me anyway!) and
d) all research the same stuff. they all took the upper militaristic branch first (metal working, sword smithing), then the religious (ancenstor worshipping) and the pottery/masonry branch. they completely omitted the alphabet line

as i immedaitly went for alphabet i got all techs in that branch (permanently tech-whoring) while nearly all others only had the 4 same techs (pottery, MW, AW and SS). i then traded masonry and alphabet to them for many other techs giving me a comfortable tech lead.

so this bug isn't really a bug it's more an unbalancing human advantage.

possible solutions:
- give the civs a flavor and make them prefer certain branches... at least the first 1-2 techs.
- make the alphabet branch more attractive (obviously king-upgrades counts a lot more than literature)

so, i'm off to playing further...

but i just can't get used to the damn shift-D... why can't that stay diplomacy (and shift-E espionage) and the new "clear damage" gets ctrl-shift-D?
Old November 20, 2003, 14:38   #258
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

oh... and the hojo are a bit too powerful. 4 luxuries in a 4 tile radius and 4 more in a 8 tile radius. coupled with a beautiful grassland-forrest-hill territory.

i do like the 1 tile islands with the barb-camps on them (no marines/berseks means no attacking those islands). the land units may not get away from it, but there will permanently be some nice galleys floating arount until the culture border swallows the huts...
Old November 20, 2003, 19:15   #259
WarpStorm
King

Quote:
Originally posted by RobC
Incidentally, if a ground unit has the collateral damage flag set, do they still have defensive bombard ability, or does setting the collateral damage flag mean that the bombard values are only used for collateral damage when attacking cities?
They seem to get defensive bombard.
Old November 20, 2003, 19:58   #260
RobC
Warlord

Local Time: 04:02
Quote:
They seem to get defensive bombard.
That's too bad...don't know if this would be too hard to change in a patch, but it would be nice to make this optional. It's a little weird that Berserkers/Warlords can have defensive bombard...
RobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2003, 23:03   #261
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 00:02
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by sabrewolf
b) didn't pop their huts (even if just next to their borders)
The AI tends not to pop huts they somehow know are full of barbs. So I pop them, thinking "what luck!", and unless I'm Expansionistic it's trouble.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
MrWhereItsAt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2003, 01:00   #262
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 06:02
More on the railroad situation: I've been trying to do some railroad blitzing and had trouble with cities not connecting to the rail network. In one case, several turns went by without any of my captured cities connecting until finally, the turn before I took the last enemy city, everything magically connected. At least three of the cities that connected had resisters in.

If this is a feature rather than a bug, the rules that control it are not nearly as obvious or intuitive as they ought to be. But I imagine it's a bug.
nbarclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2003, 01:23   #263
Catt
King

Quote:
Originally posted by nbarclay
More on the railroad situation: I've been trying to do some railroad blitzing and had trouble with cities not connecting to the rail network. In one case, several turns went by without any of my captured cities connecting until finally, the turn before I took the last enemy city, everything magically connected. At least three of the cities that connected had resisters in.

If this is a feature rather than a bug, the rules that control it are not nearly as obvious or intuitive as they ought to be. But I imagine it's a bug.
I read elsewhere (but haven't tested) that the RRs become magically connected in all cities at the first cultural expansion by any city. Could this explain your experience?

Has got to be a bug, IMHO.

Catt
Old November 21, 2003, 04:15   #264
Worldly_One
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Uber KruX

are the incence in your borders?

... and gold isn't a luxury? (is it in the scenario?)
The Incense is outside the borders of the city...that's why I spent the time, trouble, and energy to "road" to the deposits. And in this scenario, gold and silver ARE strategic resources...actually required to build Great Wonders.
Worldly_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2003, 05:47   #265
chuckdelicious
Warlord

I posted a lot earlier in the thread about the rr thing. It does indeed seem to do with whether or not the civ u are at war with has steam power or not... Very annoying.
chuckdelicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2003, 09:32   #266
sabrewolf
Emperor

i guess this RR bug/feature couters a human expoit. with 3-tile moving attackers (eg. cavalry) you can do an extremely fast warfare by taking a city, connecting it to the RR network and sending in the next wave of attackers for the 2nd layer of cities. this is my favorite warfare method against tech-wise weaker civs... you can stay in democracy and the AI will offer peace after just 3 rounds.

this "feature" forces me to build the RR around the city which often hasn't been connected by roads (eg if on hills/mountains)... so i'll lose momentum...

however, rule explainaition may be nice
Old November 21, 2003, 13:42   #267
Willem
Emperor

I'm running into a problem with the footfall sounds not working after I reload a saved game. Last night I had several units that made no sound at all as they travelled. The problem seems to be worse with my Scouts, they seem to have it the most, but last night it also happened to my Swordsman, Warrior and Spearman.
Willem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2003, 11:23   #268
Catt
King

Irrigate through hill cities

I think this one was fixed early in PTW's lifecycle. You can chain irrigation through a city on a hill, bringing irrigation to parched areas normally cut off from fresh water until Electricity.

Catt
Old November 23, 2003, 11:27   #269
Catt
King

Expansionist Incas Destroy Scouts

The Incas, an expansionist civ, cannot capture scouts as other expansionist civs can -- enemy scouts are killed rather than captured. It's possible this is intended, since Incas build Chasqui Scouts instead of normal scouts, but I don't think so -- the Koreans can capture enemy cannons even though they can never build cannons; Incas also actually start with a normal scout.

Catt
Old November 23, 2003, 14:20   #270
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 13:02
Catt: Incas start with a normal scout because Civ3 only allows for 3 different starting units: settler (mandatory), worker, and a third unit (scout) that every expansionist civ starts with. So the Incas start with a normal scout although they can't build more scouts, and there's no way to make the Chasqui Scout the Inca's starting unit (that is, besides making it EVERY expansionist civ's starting unit , and I'm still not sure if this would work). The limit of three starting units is also the reason that seafaring civs don't start with a curragh.

The problem that Incas cannot capture scouts can be corrected by changing the upgrade chain to Scout - Chasqui Scout - Explorer and making the normal scout available for the Incas. They still won't be able to build normal scouts because the Chasqui is available at the same time - that's also how it works with Cannon and Hwach'a.
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
lockstep is offline   Reply With Quote